As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: [Phalla]nce in the Force - Sith Empire(mafia) Are Victorious

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Are we? I'm starting to question that now...

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    +1 support per padawan isn't exactly rocket science to calculate.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I like subgroups of 3-4 knights, which thus includes their Padawans (making it 6-8). As the Padawans don't need to know the target for their abilities to work, I think it makes sense to keep them in the dark on the current action until such time as they are reasonably confirmed and/or their Knight dies and they take over for them. Helps prevent shenanigans, even if it is a jerk move.

I like this idea, but how do we include the masters in it? 2 masters per group? 1 master per group with some floating masters doing their own thing? Don't include them at all?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    The day ends in about 4 and a half hours, right?

• Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    I would suggest going after two planets tonight with our knights. No support from the Padawans. See what the counter for the influence is after all is done.

Why? So they should all train?

Yes. Also, without the padawan support, we should have a simple count for values. Smaller numbers are easier to determine the causes of perturbations than with large numbers.

Eh I don't know about this. We're still going to have mystery powers from the sith, and they'll be trying to obfuscate things as much as possible anyways.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    And since my joke vote was invalid, let me take this moment to vote my buddy and pal vote to 38thDoe. The name "Knight ☺☻♥♣♪♫Ω∞♠♦◘○" completely breaks my immersion. No Jedi, not even an alien, uses a different language for their names. I've read a hundred Extended Universe books and never once ran across that script.

Their death will lead to the more canonical Jedi Knight Xzibit, host of the beloved Holonet show "Pimp My Speeder".

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    We heard you like lightsabers, so we put a lightsaber in your lightsaber so you can cauterize as you cut!

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    Oh, so the verified Knight that gets the power is also revealed, so publicly verified?

That's handy and annoying at the same time. Confirmed special that is probably going to get fucked.

Does the Knight who gets a planetary power get publicly revealed?

No
    Matev, all your opposition has been summarily dismissed.
    I like subgroups of 3-4 knights, which thus includes their Padawans (making it 6-8). As the Padawans don't need to know the target for their abilities to work, I think it makes sense to keep them in the dark on the current action until such time as they are reasonably confirmed and/or their Knight dies and they take over for them. Helps prevent shenanigans, even if it is a jerk move.
    Doesn't matter if it's a jerk move, it disregards 40% of the playerbase. It's untenable. At the very least, they're going to want a say in their actions.

I think each team should allow padawans to be a part of the decision making process regarding what the actions of the members will be, but should be excluded from the discussion of target. That's the less interesting discussion to be honest, as tonight at least people will just be picking a random planet most likely. There's no reason to let in more people than you have to.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Padawans should support their Knights. That will help conquer planets faster or spread information quicker. It also locks up their action to prevent them from performing any additional Sith activities.

As for Masters, random list to determine who you are assigned. Each Knight team gets two Masters to report in to. They report to their Master what action they took between vote close and the narration. We continue this for a couple days until the shape of the game inevitably changes and we need to reorganize.

That would be my plan of action, anyway.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    And since my joke vote was invalid, let me take this moment to vote my buddy and pal vote to 38thDoe. The name "Knight ☺☻♥♣♪♫Ω∞♠♦◘○" completely breaks my immersion. No Jedi, not even an alien, uses a different language for their names. I've read a hundred Extended Universe books and never once ran across that script.

Their death will lead to the more canonical Jedi Knight Xzibit, host of the beloved Holonet show "Pimp My Speeder".

Feh, I managed to learn your alien language and become a jedi knight. Suffering through years of discrimination because your pathetic human tongue cannot pronounce simple characters like ◘○. Sad and disgraceful for such an organization.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited May 2012
    KetBra wrote: »
    I like this idea, but how do we include the masters in it? 2 masters per group? 1 master per group with some floating masters doing their own thing? Don't include them at all?
    What is it, exactly, that the Council can do? Because, right now, I'm questioning their involvement at all.

Masters have planet targeted abilities that add to jedi influence on planets. They can't get planet powers like knights can but they can contribute.

edit: outside of coruscant's power, which has already been discussed.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I am now officially doing the opposite of whatever I am told to do out of padwan rebelian.

Also, I am growing a mowhawk and getting my left ear pierced.

How do you like that DAD!?

• Options
    What Alien language uses a smiley face as a letter? I'm surprised your people even learned to build spaceships, let alone pilot them. And what has evolution wrought upon your species? You cannot possibly need all of those arms!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ugh, get some culture.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular

No Capfalcon, we've still got a little over 7 hours before the day ends.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

Ugh, I am the worst at time zones.

• Options

Ugh, I am the worst at time zones.
    Math is hard!

• Options
    Here's the group structure as I see it:

2 masters, 4 knights, 4 padawans. Everyone can discuss the distribution of actions of the members. Once that has been decided, as late as possible before close, the knights and masters decide on a target.

Aside on master powers: we haven't discussed our powers even with other masters to prevent the sith from knowing what we're capable of, but I'll let you know that as previously stated, we can contribute to planet capture, and have other useful abilities in addition to this.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    What is it, exactly, that the Council can do? Because, right now, I'm questioning their involvement at all.
    Masters have planet targeted abilities that add to jedi influence on planets. They can't get planet powers like knights can but they can contribute.
    So they don't really need to be involved in the process at all. They can just target planets.

I don't follow you here. Knights can also just target planets but they point is to coordinate actions to a) hopefully use our powers more efficiently b) create a record of actions for checking later on. Arbitrarily excluding masters doesn't help in either.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Fair enough.

So, we have 5 groups of 4 padawans and 4 knights each. Each group decides on actions for the group. The four knights then decide on a target. At the same time, the masters seperately decide on a distribution of actions. Everyone reports after vote close on what they've been up to.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    So they don't really need to be involved in the process at all. They can just target planets.

I don't follow you here. Knights can also just target planets but they point is to coordinate actions to a) hopefully use our powers more efficiently b) create a record of actions for checking later on. Arbitrarily excluding masters doesn't help in either.
    We'd still need the Council to report in after vote close, just as we'd need the groups of Knights to do.

One of the reasons we want to work in small groups is to also act as a second check on what people are doing. I think it still makes sense for the masters to be part of a group, talk to the group as normal, give input on things. It will also help for any masters in bad time zones who can't get online between vote close and narration. And it precludes and Sith masters from using not being able to get online as an excuse, then tailoring their "action" to match the narration.

For what it's worth, I think the RNG'd groups we had a few pages back (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23026844#Comment_23026844) still make sense at this point. If you're using an ability to effect a planet's conquest, tell your group so we can include it in the calculations. Otherwise, let your group know you'll be doing something else.

• Options
    I actually like jdark's structure better.

The one thing I'm someone uncertain on is if the masters should report specifically on what they've done after vote close. It gives up what our abilities are, but it also gives everyone a better record of actions, and I imagine the sith'll figure it out soon enough anyways.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I actually like jdark's structure better.

The one thing I'm someone uncertain on is if the masters should report specifically on what they've done after vote close. It gives up what our abilities are, but it also gives everyone a better record of actions, and I imagine the sith'll figure it out soon enough anyways.

I think you should treat it somewhat like meditation. If you're doing something that will affect the conquest total on a planet, let your group know. Otherwise, just let them know you'll be using another ability, but feel free to not tell us what that ability is. It may be a tad suspicious, but it takes one source of error out of our calculations and keeps your special skill a mystery to the Sith.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Yeah I want to report on what I've done, but I'm going to bed soon and not going to stay up.

haven't voted yet, random vote for gaslight.

Voting feels so weird, one with so many immune and two with this game getting a bit out of phalla territory

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    @Ketbra you are a total jerk for that avatar.

Following this thread is going to be maddening.

• Options
    I aim to obfuscate and confuse.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a current vote list? I'm p. sure I'm in the lead (yay?)

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    @Ketbra you are a total jerk for that avatar.

Following this thread is going to be maddening.

It already was.

• Options
    One of the reasons we want to work in small groups is to also act as a second check on what people are doing. I think it still makes sense for the masters to be part of a group, talk to the group as normal, give input on things.
    It depends on which school of thought you believe: that compartmentalization of information is good, or that publicly made information is good.

If we're not going to tell Padawans targets, it doesn't make any sense to include the Councilors in the Knight's decision-making.

If you don't WANT to be involved, I suppose I could leave you out ;)

I'm not sure this is as easy as all or nothing. If we accept that not everyone will be able to post their actions publicly between Vote Close and narration, we have to have some mechanism to test actions. I think that having a small group provides some reliability that someone who is not Sith will see whether you are being inactive or what you have stated you will do. Having a group of 5 also ensures that one of you will be around in the vote close window to say it publicly. I think that's why we should include padawans in the discussion, so that we increase the chance of having someone non-Sith know our plans. The same goes for councilors.

• Options
    Okay, so here's the altered group structure:
    Knight Team 1:
    Farangu & SaberOver
    Segatai & Pablo

Knight Team 2:
    Cythraul & Feckless
    Infidel & TRV

Knight Team 3:
    JABMonkey & mascara
    Akimbo & DaveFella

Knight Team 4:
    Tzeentch & INANTP
    38thDoe & Assuran

Knight Team 5:
    REG Rysk & T_A
    MrT & ShinyNewToys
    Due to the nature of Master powers, I think it's in our best interest to pair off masters. One of the pair will help with planet taking, the other will use one of our other abilities. This will help keep information from getting to the sith on which masters to target.

Master pairings:
    Master Pair 1:
    Slym
    Kias

Master Pair 2:
    Alegis
    Matev

Master Pair 3:
    Warban
    MrBlarney

Master Pair 4:
    Anialos
    CapFalcon

Master Pair 5:
    Smoove
    KetBra

I've just taken the original team list and put knight teams 1 and 2 together, etc., and then paired up their masters.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Holy crap 17 pages and its still day one, and it looks like we are still back and forth on the plan for the day. I dont have any grudge votes so I guess Ill go with kime because he was scary when given some room to work in the breath of fire phalla.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay, so here's the altered group structure:
    Knight Team 1:
    Farangu & SaberOver
    Segatai & Pablo

Knight Team 2:
    Cythraul & Feckless
    Infidel & TRV

Knight Team 3:
    JABMonkey & mascara
    Akimbo & DaveFella

Knight Team 4:
    Tzeentch & INANTP
    38thDoe & Assuran

Knight Team 5:
    REG Rysk & T_A
    MrT & ShinyNewToys
    Due to the nature of Master powers, I think it's in our best interest to pair off masters. One of the pair will help with planet taking, the other will use one of our other abilities. This will help keep information from getting to the sith on which masters to target.

Master pairings:
    Master Pair 1:
    Slym
    Kias

Master Pair 2:
    Alegis
    Matev

Master Pair 3:
    Warban
    MrBlarney

Master Pair 4:
    Anialos
    CapFalcon

Master Pair 5:
    Smoove
    KetBra

I've just taken the original team list and put knight teams 1 and 2 together, etc., and then paired up their masters.

Ketbra, I really like the idea to pair up masters, but I think trying to coordinate 8 of us padawans/knight is going to be a bit difficult.

Would it make sense to keep the original team, but pair up the masters? Each master could then just tell their team what the both of you are doing.

For example, you would tell your team "Smoove and I are adding 4 point to Hoth and doing something else?" That way we wouldn't know which of you is doing what, but we'd have less cats to herd.

• Options
    I actually like the idea of separating the masters and knights. We'll all be inputing our decisions at vote close anyways, there's no reason why masters really need to know what the knights are doing and vice versa.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    So do the masters all know eachother's abilities? If so, the sith do too if they have infiltrated the council.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I can pm everyone in who's in a group who's who so to get peoples' attention if you think getting people together would be a problem, and you can just start another conversation without me after to choose stuff.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So do the masters all know eachother's abilities? If so, the sith do too if they have infiltrated the council.

They don't. Pairing off the masters is designed to keep information on the council's activities somewhat hidden from the sith while still covering all our bases.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I can pm everyone in who's in a group who's who so to get peoples' attention if you think getting people together would be a problem, and you can just start another conversation without me after to choose stuff.

Delete yourself from the conversation. Otherwise people will just respond to it.

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »

Delete yourself from the conversation. Otherwise people will just respond to it.

Yeah I'll just do that. We have six and a half hours left today right? I'll start sending out messages in 30 minutes or so unless anyone has further objections to this course of action.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

I think several groups of four are already talking to each other at this point. It's more a matter of coming to a decision. Also, with smaller groups we have a much better chance of getting one or two that don't have any Sith in them.

For what it's worth, I still think having masters pairing up with another master or a team would help us catch Sith in a lie about their action a little better, but not knowing what your abilities are, I certainly am not going to push the point.

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »

Yeah I'll just do that. We have six and a half hours left today right? I'll start sending out messages in 30 minutes or so unless anyone has further objections to this course of action.

For what it's worth, I'd like to stick to the original teams of four. As long as that's what you're talking about, I don't have any objections.