As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    You are the worst

Tex, give him your av

Turnin' it into the Serpent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKoNWErMoD4

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    98hKm.jpg

Lose the belly-shirt, and make the shoulder-pads smaller, and you might have something.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gonna disagree

especially since he has the dumb headsock

CYpGAPn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    98hKm.jpg

Lose the belly-shirt, and make the shoulder-pads smaller, and you might have something.

Maybe for some new hero/villain
    If it wasn't for the cape and hammer that wouldn't really look like Thor

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    When Deodato drew it he looked pretty cool

like, in a very 90's way

but in a good 90's way

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, he needs to lose the headgear too.

I actually like that headgear

those around the face mask things look alright when not worn by fucking Gambit

(fuck you Gambit)

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    More super heroes need armored crotch protection like that.

hey guys what about that costumes thread

Look, a cup's all well and good when you're fighting Batroc.

But when you're going up against the Destroyer? You want a cod-piece that's not easily destroyed.

It doesn't look very flexible
    What if he has a team-up with Black Widow or She-Hulk?
    Guy could end up shattering his own cod piece

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    He's Thor

shattering things when he teams up with sexy ladies is what he does

flashheart.gif

"Am I pleased to see you or did I put the Destroyer in my pocket!"

Turambar wrote: »
    It doesn't look very flexible
    What if he has a team-up with Black Widow or She-Hulk?
    Guy could end up shattering his own cod piece

No mere cod piece is going to shatter Thor's godly hammer. Or mjolnir, either.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Why I love the Suicide Squad:

ss2-5.jpg

His speedster sister likewise goes out like a punk attempting another terrorist attack. Preceding line from Jaculi, "KILL ME AMERICAN! OR I WILL COME BACK FOR YOU!"

ss18-3.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
    For those that don't know, Solo was a comic published by DC, that served as a showcase, for particularly notable creators. Each one would feature short stories, pin-ups, or whatever else the creator felt like doing. It was mostly amazing, owing to the talents of contributors like Tim Sale, Darwyn Cooke, Paul Pope, Damion Scott, Richard Corben, and Mike Allred, among others. Each issue was oversized, printed on a sturdy paper stock, and featured no ads.

Predictably, it was canceled following its twelfth issue.

Here's four pages from Solo #7, by Mike Allred.
    A little setup for this story; here, Batman is presented as being very similar to the Adam West Batman, down to the character designs. Sure, Batman's a little hokey in this universe, but he's also good-natured, honest, and heroic. Unfortunately, the police are losing respect for him, urging him to be harsher, Dick Grayson thinks he's a relic, and rebels by dating one of the Riddler's henchwomen, and villains are taking a turn for the increasingly sadistic and cruel.

Oh, and this came out not long after Identity Crisis. That's probably worth mentioning.

yG25Z.jpg

YW9lO.jpg

I really love Alfred's line in that last panel, "Why is the good things are never 'real life,' only the bad?"

At a time when Identity Crisis was being championed for being gritty and realistic (because nothing says realism like supervillains raping women on satellites!) it felt like Allred's giant middle finger, to all that was going wrong at DC.

And here's a little 4th World story. While Pasqual Ferry draws my favorite modern versions of the 4th World characters, Allred's a close second. His clean linework and expressive faces, just suit the characters so well.

DkPxP.jpg

RJSIC.jpg

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Hoo-hah!

I like that bit with Batman and Alfred, but that particular theme would have worked better with Superman I think.

Batman is supposed to be messed up.

It actually reminds me of a bit from Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier, where Batman decides to transition from Golden Age, Bill Finger/Bob Kane Batman, to Silver Age, Dick Sprang Batman. Basically, Batman terrifies a child into hysterics, and decides he wants to lighten his image, because it was never his intention to horrify children.

Which actually reminds me of another Batman story, by Paul Pope, in which Batman is confronted by a child, who is initially reticent, before deciding that Batman's, "Not scary at all!"

That's always kind of shaped my image of Batman. He's frightening to people who should be frightened of him. But, a little kid would think Batman's cool. Which makes sense, being that Batman was essentially borne from the imagination of a little kid.

So, I think he can be lighter, and still work. I don't want him to be Silver Age Batman by any means, but there's a middle-ground between that, and War Games/Identity Crisis Batman.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I feel like a relic that never existed reading and enjoying that.

He's perfect for Daredevil, excepting that it looks like it's going to start accounting for his past.

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2012
    No love for the SS? :(
    SuicideSquad35p09.jpg
    SuicideSquad35p10.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
    That is amazing, Munch. I think I agree with you regarding Batman too, but I think my ideal Batman is pretty close to Sean Connery's James Bond.

Gotta love The Wall

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I carry a grudge against her for destroying black adam's family and sparking a confrontation with him where there previously was none.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    That is amazing, Munch. I think I agree with you regarding Batman too, but I think my ideal Batman is pretty close to Sean Connery's James Bond.

I must disagree. Batman's entire raison d'etre is a tortured psyche resulting from childhood trauma, and his look and persona were chosen expressly to inspire fear.

I think manwiththemach is correct that would have worked better with Superman.

edited May 2012
    Yes, but how many black women in their 40s-50s get to kickass in comics?

Not, many.

The Wall is just that badass.

Yes she lost, but the whole arc was basically suicide, and Darkseid at the end was all, "WTF Granny? You got trashed by a bunch of mortals, PENANCE TIME!"

manwiththemachinegun on
    tumblr_m3tz4sf00D1r7ni1io1_1280.jpg

Diana, your expression says it all.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Yesss.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Wow.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    That is fantastic. I had totally forgotten a new one came out today.

This is kinda cool; Gene Ha gives a nod to Brandon Graham's King City and Multiple Warheads, in the DC FCBD book. I completely missed this, both times I read the book.

o5Vm1.jpg

Not an awesome moment, but an awesomely researched handbook page showing every trick arrow Hawkeye has ever used. Hawkeye is getting dangerously close to being over-exposed right now, but still one of my favorite Avengers:

hawkeye1.jpg
    hawkeye2.jpg

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Where did Hawkeye get Cupid's magic arrow?

Or Hellfire arrows?

Centipede Damascus on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It shows where he got the hellfire arrows right there! Ghost Rider charged him up

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Man, #37.

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    Man, #37.

Looks like Hawkeye's about to provide his own shaft.

Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2012
    To go with the TV show superhero talk, the Secret Defenders think that some Cryptkeeper stand-in is killing people based on the locations in the song Route 66, so they go to the TV studio to stop him, because certainly it wouldn't be someone else with the same name, right?

secretdefenders4b.jpg

I just like that Frank has the time for two puns on the page.

TexiKen on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

DC needs to get this guy to have strips in their comics like Marvel did for their cartoonist.

edited May 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »

DC needs to get this guy to have strips in their comics like Marvel did for their cartoonist.

And then after a while DC could replace them with horrible strips by Liefeld's daughter about different colored Batmen.

Hensler on
    Powergirl fangirls at everything.

It's pretty cute.

This discussion has been closed.