As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Endless Space] It is a Space 4X! Similar to MoO2! IT IS OUT! It is Worth It.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    I'd like to see a plant species. We get insects, all sorts of mammals, robots etc, but never sentient plants. I imagine there could be some interesting mechanics there.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I've decided I really suck at this game, I can barely hold off attacks by enemy empires and when I think I am doing well, the other ai faction is all like, oh yeah I have 3 million dust. lolz.

It is really awesome to see the ai adapt to your strategy, I went beam weapons, and laid into one empire hard, and halfway through taking their shit, they started popping out ships with 720 shield on them, a single one easily took out a fleet of 5 of my ships 0_0

My only complaint would be they don't pick up on it very quickly, once I saw that first ship pop out like that I switched up to missiles, and then proceeded to take over all of his space.

My last war with the Empire the started with beams and my ships had defenses for that. Then they swapped to missiles. I lost two fleets before I could refit my fleets with flack. Then they swapped to kinetics but by that point my ships would wipe them out in a single barrage of near top of the line laser damage before they got a shot off. It was cool watching them adapt though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    We could collaborate before posting an idea, after all it's only one idea per character right?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    lu tze wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Anyone find themselves unable to move to a system for no discernible reason? There's a system connected to one of mine, the first system I actually scouted (so I was able to move to it before). It was filled with asteroids and gas planets, so I couldn't do anything with it early on. But it was a total dead end, so I just let it sit there. Now I'm ready to actually colonize it, but I can't move to it. I right click on it and nothing happens at all. Anyone else seen that? Am I missing something that's keeping me from moving?
    Some else own it now?

Sure do. My brother actually got it for me for my birthday yesterday. Very classy of him.

Overall, I'm loving it, but I don't think I understand all the systems quite yet, particularly concerning combat. Take this screenshot, for instance.

I have two battleships loaded with missiles and two battleships loaded with lasers. They each have 300+ attack for their respective weapons. The enemy ships in that screenshot have 0 flak and 23 shields. So why is my beam efficiency only 33%? And more surprisingly, why is my missile efficiency 0%? Anyone know what I'm missing here?

I think he was answering your question.
    "why can't I move to [the system]?"
    "[does] some[one] else own [the system] now?"
    Yeah that's what I meant. Sorry for typing like rain man, no idea what happened there.

I might have been distracted by something shiny.

World's best janitor
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    I'd like to see a plant species. We get insects, all sorts of mammals, robots etc, but never sentient plants. I imagine there could be some interesting mechanics there.

You know what would be amazing but super hard to implement? A stealthy empire of shapeshifters/mind controllers/whatever that had the ability to secretly own other people's planets/ships. Like if "infestation" or "agents in play" or whatever got up to some high enough value, you could either instantly turn the planet or like leech off their production. Or something.

I don't know I feel like it would be super impossible but it might be fun times. I feel like the Skrull/V/They Live style secret alien overlords are a neat touchstone.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Evolved biological machines that gained sapience after their creators (not the Endless) died out. I will do this.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I also like the idea of a pre-technological society that "murdered their gods" (an advanced species keeping them as slaves via false pantheon) and stole their technology, operating incredibly advanced machinery with such intuitive interfacing that they don't have trouble keeping up. Of course, alien species all look like either god (who they hate) or demons (who also yes they hate). Though I'm having trouble thinking of how the diplomacy would go, having another never-allied race might be boring.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

You know what would be amazing but super hard to implement? A stealthy empire of shapeshifters/mind controllers/whatever that had the ability to secretly own other people's planets/ships. Like if "infestation" or "agents in play" or whatever got up to some high enough value, you could either instantly turn the planet or like leech off their production. Or something.

I don't know I feel like it would be super impossible but it might be fun times. I feel like the Skrull/V/They Live style secret alien overlords are a neat touchstone.
    That would be great.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I played a ton of this this weekend. In part because they updated Star Ruler and broke the Galactic Armory mod until it gets updated but still.

The game is impressive. And the UI is right out of the design guide for Windows 8 Metro. Thought that was pretty interesting. I wonder if they are going to target tablets when that comes out.

But the more I play the more the lack of tactical combat gets more and more annoying. This is probably going to be #2 on my space 4x list for a long time (at least until GoG releases a version of Imperium Galactica 2 that works on my machine :) ) but I don't think it can unseat Moo2 for #1.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Is there any way to control which fleet you attack when there are multiple enemy fleets in a system? I currently have two fleets trying to take over a planet, and the AI keeps sending multiple fleets at me. Usually they send one really strong fleet and one tiny fleet simultaneously, so when I attack, I'll often end up attacking the tiny fleet with my strong fleet, leaving my weaker fleet to go up against their stronger one. Is there any way to avoid that?

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A race I would love to see would be one based on savaging/salvaging everything they have. so they don't get to research any new tech from the tech tree, instead they gain tech either by taking over other races planets, wreckage from fleet battles, or from some sort of spying. but I would let them research past techs, so say you need x,y,z pre-reqs to get a tech and they get that tech, they can go back and reverse engineer the pre-req techs.

they would need some sort of industrial and ship build cost bonuses,and a fleet size bonus, but I think it would work out well and be an interesting new way to play.

so at the start of the game instead of fleets of 3-7 ships, you would fly around with 20-30 horribly built things, fitted with like one of each of the starting weapons and barely any hp, just hoping to blow up a few enemies to get some new tech.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    A race I would love to see would be one based on savaging/salvaging everything they have. so they don't get to research any new tech from the tech tree, instead they gain tech either by taking over other races planets, wreckage from fleet battles, or from some sort of spying. but I would let them research past techs, so say you need x,y,z pre-reqs to get a tech and they get that tech, they can go back and reverse engineer the pre-req techs.

they would need some sort of industrial and ship build cost bonuses,and a fleet size bonus, but I think it would work out well and be an interesting new way to play.

so at the start of the game instead of fleets of 3-7 ships, you would fly around with 20-30 horribly built things, fitted with like one of each of the starting weapons and barely any hp, just hoping to blow up a few enemies to get some new tech.

Love this. Their heroes could have massive ship tepair bonuses.

Also love the plant people. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    For some reason my game has been very peaceful. I'm friends with the hissho and the cravers are fighting them and find me suspicious but haven't declared war on me. I'm mostly killing pirates.

If the cravers decide to fight me I am basically done for. I am in last place.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    What are the win conditions? I noticed in the advanced options 'allow X victory' but that's all.

Obviously, I can kill everyone else. What else?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »
    What are the win conditions? I noticed in the advanced options 'allow X victory' but that's all.

Obviously, I can kill everyone else. What else?

Science Victory = A tech on the far side of the right tree, with other techs in each other tree to make it easier to research.
    Econ Victory= No idea, but it's there. It isn't money on hand, because I've been spending but still gaining % in it.
    Kill Everybody= Kill Everybody

Those are the ones I know of, at least.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    There's economic victory, which I believe is amassing enough dust

There's colonization/wonder victory, which you get by building enough copies of the Invincible Empire (the bottom of the planet settlement tree)

There's science victory, which you get by researching the 1.2 million science tech at the end of the science tree (which can be reduced by researching one of the last techs in each other tree (30% each))

• KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So whats the word, good 4x space game? For the record I am ok with spreadsheets. I just like the occasional pretty thing to come up instead of them. errr is it like pre order and play the beta thing?
    OH and are there random events and any sort of traits an admiral or commander gets/ ala the total war series?

Kharnastus on
  • pedro0930pedro0930 Registered User regular
    There is random event. There's admirals that can level up and you can pick new skills/traits for them to learn.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Relevant to today's comic:

5228E3ADDED81121FEDEB82A743FE0134C1B6037
    Sorry black fleet. I already colonized the Susan system.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    Now I sort of want to propose that faction. "The Black Fleet" or "The Hierarchy"

They could even be a caste separated by genetics. I was thinking of proposing a race of beings that are red in color, back legs are short but powerful with hooves, front arms are very long with clawed hands, sometimes walk on the knuckles, sometimes walk upright. They would have a sharp edged, ridged carapace that's layered. They would have no real necks, sharp teeth and slit reptilian eyes. They could be the lower casts, workers and warrior-stock. The upper breeds would be thinner with actual necks and more upright posture, more brightly colored eyes, horns, and patterned carapaces to denote rank. They would not color them, but they can alter the patterns and colors to demonstrate rank. They too would have hoofed legs, both of their legs would have the long feet and heels that cows and dogs do. Maybe a learned caste that makes up scientists and such with weaker bodies but large heads and eyes, nubby little horns, but powerful legs and necks to support their bodies, with very long delicate fingers, and more fingers, to help in their work, also do fine machining that can't be trusted to workers or robotics.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Ah, good old Starflight. Ahead of its time. :)

Y5VN9.gif

wonderpug on
  • Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    I have won an economic victory by having 300,000 dust
    The message just pop up and said I won the game

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I hope they get that update out soon. A single isolated system can shit out 60-70 ships a turn.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Okay so I'm thinking of a faction called the Hierarchy of Ash or the Ashen Hierarchy. They live on a blasted violent world wracked with volcanic activity. The members of the Hierarchy know of Dust, but they call it Ash, and they based their society around it in many ways. Many of them have been exposed to the nanotechnology of the Endless to a greater or lesser extent, but they are ruled by those known as the Children of Fire, who are the most heavily influenced by Dust. Their society is somewhat like that of ants, they all work to a common goal and they have specialized forms built for certain kinds of duties. At the top are the rulers, the Children of Fire, they are heavily influenced by Dust and have evolved advanced cognitive and physical abilities, and they use these to direct the rest of their species. Below the Children of Fire are the Hierarchs, intelligent individuals with an uncanny knack for all kinds of management activities from directing workers in a factory, administering to a section of the Hierarchy, or tactics and strategies in battle. They can hold their own in fights but are not best put to use as front line soldiers, although squad leaders and front line commanders they often are. From there, there are Minds, who are smaller members with more abstract intelligence, they are in charge of researching, inventing, and designing all of the Hierarchy's technology and tools, they are incredibly intelligent in things matters like scientific endeavors, artistic expression, engineering, skilled tooling, and other such applications, but if left on their own have little direction and likely couldn't figure out how to find or grow food. Besides them are Warriors and Workers, very similar (and sometimes interchangeable) forms which focus on physical power, immediate tactical or work knowledge and application. Far from dumb bruisers, Warriors and Workers instead have very focused intelligence, they can be experts in specific fields like fighting, or factory work, or loading boxes, and they would know in depth that field, from advanced squad tactics, to the exact and precise function and application of all factory equipment, to the spacial challenges of loading boxes. Much like Minds, Workers and Warriors are not well versed in anything outside their core competencies.

Does that look okay? I don't want them to be too much like Cravers who also have an insectoid caste system thing.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Sounds alot like the Tau, but should be fine, similar things are bound to crop up.

edited May 2012
    Yeah, in retrospect they do seem sort of similar, although I do think the extent to which Hierarchy castes differ physically and mentally would set them apart. I almost wanted to make something like the slavemaker ants, but I thought they'd be too much like the Cravers (slavemaker ants are just what they sound like, ants that raid other ants' nests and take their young as slaves. They don't just do this because they're dicks though, they do it because they literally cannot survive on their own, they don't even know how to feed themselves. The only thing Slavemaker ants know how to do is raid to take slaves. They're VERY VERY good at that, but literally everything else they cannot do for themselves and rely on their slaves to do for them, including feed them.)

I could still make the Children of Fire like that, beings that millions of years ago evolved with Dust and conquered others of their species and controlled them, but the Dust and evolution made it so that that is literally all they're good for.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me how the empire's tax bonus works?

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    pedro0930 wrote: »
    There is random event. There's admirals that can level up and you can pick new skills/traits for them to learn.

I've had two random events. The second one cut all movement speed on all of my ships by half. Something about my engineers getting too reckless and my engines tend to blow up when they hit max speed. The event didn't seem to do much due to my massive movement bonus from research. It seems it just effects base movement speed.

The other event was something about +1 science for every population I have in my empire. Or maybe that was a moon discovery...

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    Well I posted the Ashen Colonies.

I hope they don't look awful.

Even though I am really digging this game I am hoping they are going to add an espionage component. I always liked playing the spy races and I think it would fit this universe really well.

My other hope is a boarding party style tech. That would be kind of cool. Not sure how it would work but I would love to have a race who is good at boarding parties. Maybe not to commandeer ships but at least disable weapons and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Even though I am really digging this game I am hoping they are going to add an espionage component. I always liked playing the spy races and I think it would fit this universe really well.

My other hope is a boarding party style tech. That would be kind of cool. Not sure how it would work but I would love to have a race who is good at boarding parties. Maybe not to commandeer ships but at least disable weapons and such.

This game has the potential to evolve over time to include stuff like that and more, and the fact that they are actively involving the community in the alpha + development makes me feel like it's very possible we will see those types of things brought in. I don't imagine spying would take much at any rate. Boarding parties might need a bit more tweaking of the combat mechanics and ship animations.

488W936.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I really like the idea of being able to take over systems that are inside your influence. I'm hoping that get's added, because it'd be a nice way to expand across the galaxy without even needing colony ships. Just slowly creeping across space.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Looking in the game files the last 3 species are called Sowers, Amoeba and Resistance in them, you also see them mentioned in some Hero bio's.

Rumours say one is crystalline and/or synthetic, Amoeba sounds like organic specialization and resistance could be another human faction or something more original.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

They have heroes who specialize in Spy/Espionage already without really anything attached to it, I'd think that'd be a sign that it's in the works.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I do think I'd like to see them take on that one er, bug race from MOO3. Not the Klakon, the other one, the one that was in theory supposed to be the villain or whatnot. I just love the concept of a race that slowly replaces it's host races like that. Pity it was such a disaster.

Does the game keep track of the specific racial makeup of a planet, or is taking over a colony akin to wiping it out and replacing it with your own people?

So doing a game with the tech race today. Damn Horatio. Clones are my bane in this game. This time they decided I was moving to quickly and my score was too high. So they and Hissho, my two neighbors declared war on me. And on each other at the same time. It has been a long war. Originally I was fighting a staying action hoping they would let me live in peace. But eventually even pacifist scientist can't take it any more. And such my fleets grew, my weapons out paced theirs and thus the last gasp of the Horatio.
    D603D176A26D8212B5C1B25E3FC4E78BA7EE1974

Legend-
    Blue=Me
    Dark green=Horatio
    Lime green=Hissho
    Orange=Cravers
    Light blue=The Empire

u7stthr17eud.png
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Has anyone got a handle on the way that hero "perks" or whatever show up?

Example: sometimes civil engineer(op) shows up after labor 2 and sometimes it never shows up.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Wow, that map looks really small. Is it just the default "small"?

I think I need to start a new game- in mine I had a constellation all to myself and the AI isn't really much of a challenge after I freely colonized half the galaxy.

• NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Has anyone got a handle on the way that hero "perks" or whatever show up?

Example: sometimes civil engineer(op) shows up after labor 2 and sometimes it never shows up.

They show up depending on what your classes are, in other words making a Pilot/Commander have +Labor and +Wit will not benefit you other than those points do, you don't get corporate and production traits from doing it, only offensive/defensive ones.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hero abilities are based on their classes. So, Civil Engineer will pop up if one of their classes is appropriate (I forget what it's called, but obviously it's the industry one).

Regarding the espionage... the Adventurer class does get an ability that allows you to steal Dust and Research from other races, if that hero is posted on a ship orbiting one of their planets. However, the rates seem incredibly slow: 0.3/0.4 per hero level per turn, I believe. I think it's also behind the skill that bumps up the Melee skill, for some reason.

Garthor on