As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Basically what Glal said. Questing? Sure, it is pretty much the standard fare and can be compared to other MMOs.

Combat? There is no comparison because no other MMO has done this before ever, save possibly for Vindictus. Vindictus, however, was very instanced and limited.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There is nothing more beautiful in TERA than having your cooldown glyph for Overhand Strike proc. 3-4 times in a row.

Knockdown Strike to Overhand Strike, Leaping Strike to Overhand Strike, Stunning Backhand to Overhand Strike...

If I'm lucky I can empty an entire MP bar in one colossal burst.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Uuuhhh~ahhhhhhhhh!

~MP everywhere~

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Damage meters...

People who are going to behave badly are going to do it regardless. Meters and gearscore just make it a little more convenient. There's also an element of the social contract like it or not most people's gaming experience depends on the performance of others. That is the whole point of these games. They have a right to exercise choice about whom they play with.

I am happy to roll with mates regardless of their material contribution, because their fun presence is contribution enough. Strangers may not get that same treatment depending on my mood.

Personally, i want to be the most skilled, effective player i can be. I want to know how i stack up against other warriors and other damage dealing classes. A damage meter is necessary for that.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have listened to that song 5 times now. I gotta have more like that. I really like it.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I mourn the day DPS meters show up and everything turns it into a boring min/max game of epicly fail proportions.

Because they will. Because after the first week, no one can just have fun playing a MMO, it has to become a job. True fact.

all that time I spent trying to get best times in swimming was nothing but a boring job. true fact

get real. some people have different ideas of fun. flailing about incompetently having no way of personal evaluation couldn't be further away from fun for me.

Jars on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Boss dead, you alive. Sounds like a job well done. Aside from that, there are options already present in the UI were you can tell at a glance who isn't doing what they need to be doing

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    boss not dead, everyone else dead. what now?

just because lancer/healer failures stick out like a sore thumb(tank deaths) doesn't mean dps get a pass. or should I be able to afk through dungeons as long as the boss dies?

Jars on
  • Options
    Dodge/block more. That's a survivability issue, not a damage one.

There are exceptions naturally. Like the final boss of sigil adistrango. But again, most of the deaths I've seen there have come from people standing in stupid and chaining the stun to everyone so nobody could do damage.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I have listened to that song 5 times now. I gotta have more like that. I really like it.

:D

You can DL it for free.

The singer has her own Sound Cloud http://soundcloud.com/veelabeats

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    My ears are dying happy.

THANKS OBAMA!

• Options
    think of it this way

boss dies in 6 minutes with everyone doing 'whatever they feel like'

boss dies in 4 minutes with everyone doing tight rotations and landing everything

what situation is going to have more mistakes and more accidental deaths? the one that is 2 minutes longer obviously. If I liked fireball so much that that was the only ability I wanted to use and did that in dungeons it would be pretty inconsiderate to my party members who are trying their best to make the run a successful one.

• Options
    Ye Gods, she is wicked talented.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Jars wrote: »
    think of it this way

boss dies in 6 minutes with everyone doing 'whatever they feel like'

boss dies in 4 minutes with everyone doing tight rotations and landing everything

what situation is going to have more mistakes and more accidental deaths? the one that is 2 minutes longer obviously. If I liked fireball so much that that was the only ability I wanted to use and did that in dungeons it would be pretty inconsiderate to my party members who are trying their best to make the run a successful one.

There aren't rotationsthough? Let alone anything as rigid as that because I've yet to see a fight past SM where anyone has the chance to do that kind of thing. There are a heck of a lot of priority lists and conditionals. But because combat roots you in place you have to make snap decisions of doing damage and not spending half the fight on the floor. I get what you're saying though, I have an option turned on in my UI that lets me see what skill people are using at any given moment as an icon that pops up over their head when they use it. If all I see is the skill icon for fireball coming out of you then yeah I'm probably going to call you on it. I don't need a dps meter for that. The scenarios you're describing, the afk and fireball spam guy, are compounded because not only are they being bad but they're being an asshole on top of it.

I like the idea of a dps meter more than what it's commonly used for. Basically as a measuring stick of "okay I'm better than this guy" <-That has become its primary function. (don't deny this)
    The way a dps meter should be handled is that it needs to be built in. And the only person that needs to ever have access to it is a party leader. that's how you turn it into a tool for the purposes you claim.

Beezel on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    Started to feel the grind tonight. Wanted to hit 28 for mana orbs, but at 27 I got three quests at a camp to kill 10/kill 10/kill 10. And all 3 mob types were right next to the camp, and all 3 mob types would respawn quickly. I sat there killing 30 mobs without moving more than a few feet and was like 'eeeeeeggghhhhh.'

Maybe it's cooler as a dps class but as a mystic grinding 30 mobs in a row is just real fucking tedious. Ended up getting bored and logging out without hitting 28.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    yeah mystic doesn't solo well at all past a certain point. It's kinda gross D:

• Options
    MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    What I do as a priest is to do quests and kill mobs 1-3 levels below me. After around level 30 or so, killing same level mobs just becomes too tedious.

Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    at a minimum people should be able to see their own dps. that's what is most important. if you have no idea where you stand how can you expect to improve? the idea of personal improvement is essential to many hobbies, a weight lifter cares about putting more weight on his bench not because it's his job, but because he wants to improve and go for personal bests. saying that caring about damage meters is playing the game wrong is frankly pretty insulting and close minded. not singling anyone out, but that mentality exists.

Jars on
  • Options
    llama_eggllama_egg Registered User regular
    So, maybe I'm just forgetting something as I haven't used Vent in freaking forever, but whenever I try to connect I get this dumb error;
    Connected to Server but unable to authenticate your login name and password. Make sure you enter the correct global server password or blah blah blah, keep trying and get banned fool.

Any idea's?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Do you have it set to use a password? Because the server is passworded.

• Options
    Servers go down?

• Options
    Yeah, I copy and pasted the password info from the OP, so I'm pretty freaking confused.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Info was up to date last I checked. Granted this was like 2 weeks ago but still

• Options
    I am connected. What does it say in the body of the Vent UI before you try to connect?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    llama_egg wrote: »
    Yeah, I copy and pasted the password info from the OP, so I'm pretty freaking confused.

I'm hoping you didn't literally copy them.

"the usual" isn't the password.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    QuamzinQuamzin Land of Fog and RainRegistered User regular
    Hey OP liked the first post. Anyone know of more guides for Sorcs other than the one listed in the OP? If anyone has any tips in general that would also be awesome. Cheers.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    llama_egg wrote: »

I'm hoping you didn't literally copy them.

"the usual" isn't the password.

Yeah, that's usually just our little filter. It's easy enough to find the password out but if that's what happened then HEH

• Options
    Oh hey, that's totally what I did.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The PvP in this game is the most fun I've had in any MMO ever. I can't even imagine people wanting to play on PvE servers.
    beginning to cast fireblast: plus ten million threat

I loved grouping with a Mystic that constantly dropped mana orb after mana orb on BaMs. It was Fireblast every cooldown.
    Mana orbs make Mystics the best class in the game in my opinion. Though I'm biased.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    And I still can't figure out the password, though that might have something to do with the fact I'm drinking. But I'll pretend that had nothing to do with it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    @llama_egg
    check your PMs

• Options
    @llama_egg
    check your PMs

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh snap. Is the guild full now? I can't seem to join. The button is grayed out.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The guild is at 223. Clearly, you need to click that button like you mean it, soldier.

Edit: Oh, I am reminded that the guild recruitment was shut off for a few days while we sort out the roster.

Please stand by.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I can see the idea behind using your own dps to improve in most MMOs

I just don't think the concept carries over to Tera because of the way that no class aside from maybe Archer has any sort of "rotation", and how often you need to mix it up in combat due to different circumstances and movement.

I think even if you could see your dps, actually using that information to reliably improve it would be a shaky prospect at best.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    at a minimum people should be able to see their own dps. that's what is most important. if you have no idea where you stand how can you expect to improve? the idea of personal improvement is essential to many hobbies, a weight lifter cares about putting more weight on his bench not because it's his job, but because he wants to improve and go for personal bests. saying that caring about damage meters is playing the game wrong is frankly pretty insulting and close minded. not singling anyone out, but that mentality exists.

The sheer bias in this is astounding.

I have never once seen dps gauges used for anything in any mmo every as anything but a tool to harass those who aren't playing min/max 5000: the video game.

Hell go to any mmo forum right now and you'll probably find multiple dps-lol posts on the front page.

Personal meters would be great, anything else is dumb.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The only thing that could help you improve in TERA is a fraps recording of your part of a BAM fight critiqued by your fight partners.

Edit: Perhaps accompanied by a hit/miss/glancing blow indicator.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

The sheer bias in this is astounding.

I have never once seen dps gauges used for anything in any mmo every as anything but a tool to harass those who aren't playing min/max 5000: the video game.

Hell go to any mmo forum right now and you'll probably find multiple dps-lol posts on the front page.

Personal meters would be great, anything else is dumb.

You've never once used dps meters and training dummies to better your own dps rotations?
    It's pretty normal among MMO people that raid and do other high end PvE content in these types of games.

And no. Public DPS meters are not dumb. The let a leader know where their group stands at finishing a fight before an enrage timer runs out and where the areas for improvement are - if anyone's lagging behind. Then you can figure out why those people are behind. Not have gear? Get them more gear. They're geared? Then something's clearly wrong with their rotation/priority list.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Really? Never? And you're calling other people's posts biased?

People should be harassed for being bad. Or they won't know they are bad. If they don't want to be harassed they should stop being bad. Or they can not care, whatever. I want to see my dps, and I want to see other people's dps. If another warrior in a group is doing a substantial amount more damage than me, I'd love to know why. Nothing wrong with that. If the Berserker in my group is doing 30% my dps, I'd like ot know why. Nothing wrong with that either.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    So guys, lets talk dungeons.
    Glory? Embarrassments? Nerd Rage?

Me and a couple of guildies did Golden Labyrinth earlier on. Our first wipe was to aggro ignoring trash (this is a mechanic) on the very first pull. The final boss was actually the easiest, a gimme and basically a gold tier look pinata. We came away from this experience convinced that a stand in place tank was actually a detriment in here but I'm sure it was just us sucking

On an unrelated note, my work schedule has restarted this week so I'm going to be rather scarce ingame during the evening hours. I don't see this changing anytime soon and I'll play it by ear and try my best, but I may actually have to appoint officers soon to handle guild business while I'm away from my home computer and working for the man.

This discussion has been closed.