As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    redraptor wrote: »
    The report button, well that doesn't do anything.

That's just not true.

It's a very good feeling to log in and see that they have/are taking action against someone youve reported. And I'm happy to say I have experienced it first hand.

steam_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The best part was the last guy who complained about that said that he reported and muted ("ignored") player x because in the last game he spent the entire time intentionally feeding.

And guess what player x was doing in this game?
    29p6lo7.jpg

Even though he spent the first 10 minutes of the game straight feeding bm and ds it was still a fun game. The rest of the lanes god brutalized pretty badly.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Well to be fair he is a wildcard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I am having a bit of trouble with my Phantom Lancer build. I am really enjoying the hero and he seems to have a surprising amount of lane presence despite being a hard carry, which is something I really want to capitalize on. A guide I checked out suggested either vanguard then radiance for hard carrying, or two wraith bands then diffusal then yasha for a more ganky game.

So far I have felt like the first is too much of a boring ricing build, while the second does not have enough health regen for me to stay in lane. What I have tried so far is starting with shield, a couple of sticks and regen, then building aquila, boots, vanguard, diffusal, sange, boots of travel, butterfly.

Vanguard does not feel like a perfect fit, especially since the images do not get the damage block, but I really need items that help me stay active in lane and I can't figure out a more effective way to do that. The regen stays useful throughout the whole game and lets me jungle much earlier than I otherwise could as well. Any suggestions?

Vic on
    If you want to be a cool kid then you play on the fact that he has one of the best single target nukes in the game. In wc3 dota the pl + kotl lane is really dumb to play against since kotl can give pl unlimited mana so it's impossible to stay in the lane without getting nuked in the face every 7 seconds. You could try early mana boots for a similar effect, then a diffusal to make the nuke more potent.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    If you want to be a cool kid then you play on the fact that he has one of the best single target nukes in the game. In wc3 dota the pl + kotl lane is really dumb to play against since kotl can give pl unlimited mana so it's impossible to stay in the lane without getting nuked in the face every 7 seconds. You could try early mana boots for a similar effect, then a diffusal to make the nuke more potent.

Oh wow, I did not even dare think about that. I can see mana boots being a situational item on him, yes.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    so BSOD then hard drive failure last night. hope we won that game! D: sorry guys! ugh now this jeopardizes my diablo 3 start time! nooooooo

• TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    so BSOD then hard drive failure last night. hope we won that game! D: sorry guys! ugh now this jeopardizes my diablo 3 start time! nooooooo

Yes, we did.

well thats good, I feel slightly less bad about it

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Sigh. disconnected from game server and unable to rejoin due to no fault of my own, get my 3rd abandon out of about 80 games and get put in low priority queue. I'd understand if the abandons were back to back, but despite it Low Priority not being based on a percent of your games first is complete bullshit.

Or hey, letting you know you got an abandon before you waste time in a feeders game would be kind of fucking nice too. Guess I needed a break anyway.

Vic wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »

Oh wow, I did not even dare think about that. I can see mana boots being a situational item on him, yes.

Thinking on it more, a soul ring would probably be better if you want to stay in the lane.

I also got this weird tda wc3 dota flashback last night. In a game and someone on the other team gets disconnected and a player on our team announces that he'll stay at the fountain till they get back. That's oldschool dota manners.

stream
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    i keep thinking of playing specific heroes, but i don't want to do allpick for some reason. sd needs to give me better rolls. allpick just doesn't sound fun for some reason. i should probably just man up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you can always random an all pick otherwise. then you more spending money

camo_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    random all pick, cross fingers for necrolyte

or omniknight

undeinPirat on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    team random is the best team.

its even better when you win :)

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    random is great until you random someone like weaver.

i am sure a better player can do well with him. i am not a better player

camo_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    mts wrote: »

I feel like that whenever I random and get stuck with someone like Huskar, who you kind of need some good early kills to get on a roll with.

Weaver though...big difficulty with him is his small health pool early. Your goal as weaver is to get in some damage and then pop your invis while doing this on your getaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbyF2v3cPww

Dark_Side on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    necrolyte is so fun when he gets big

now i want to play necrolyte

19ZUtIw.png
    edited May 2012
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

I feel like that whenever I random and get stuck with someone like Huskar, who you kind of need some good early kills to get on a roll with.

Weaver though...big difficulty with him is his small health pool early. Your goal as weaver is to get in some damage and then pop your invis while doing this on your getaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbyF2v3cPww

yea, that was my issue. i was so squishy, and had trouble getting his timing down, and the guide i followed for him ended up kind of sucking. so i had poor farm early and never really got leveled well, and tehn ended up more squishy.

i tried Ursa again last night, and very similar results as teh first. i think my issue with his type of hero is i need something to initiate better. Ursa doesn't really have a good distance attack, so you just need to get in close fast, which i still haev trouble with. it is my problem with most strength/melee type heroes i think.

compared to say bloodseeker who i do alright with. my luck with melee heroes is not very good.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    nealcm wrote: »

yeah, this.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I have a lot of trouble farming as Weaver early. I usually max his passive first and resort to taking sneaky pot shots at enemy heroes whenever the opportunity arises. I find him to NOT be the kind of hero you want to be aggressive with early. Once you learn how to abuse his invis and ult though, you can be incredibly annoying.

The big issue carrying with him is you need big ticket damage items, which take forever to farm if you're not getting early kills. Which you won't be getting many of because getting kills with Weaver is entirely about positioning and chasing down runners. And that takes experience to learn where and when to be at a certain position during team fights or catching enemy gankers/junglers out of position.

Ez big ups plan : random him, start with soul ring, own lane, build mana boots because you're a support right haha you're gonna disassemble those fuckers into a bloodstone

Note: literally over a year at least since i have been the friendly goo ghost

• DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    i keep thinking of playing specific heroes, but i don't want to do allpick for some reason. sd needs to give me better rolls. allpick just doesn't sound fun for some reason. i should probably just man up.

Play Random Draft instead of All Pick or SD. Better selection of heroes than SD, which without being able to swap is not very fun, and you don't always have to go against the same top 5 heroes every game.

Drool wrote: »

Play Random Draft instead of All Pick or SD. Better selection of heroes than SD, which without being able to swap is not very fun, and you don't always have to go against the same top 5 heroes every game.

Pretty much the main reason I stopped palying AP all together.

steam_sig.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Completely random thing that is DOTA 2 related:

Jon St-John is probably the most underrated voice actor of this industry and deserves more than being known as "the dude that voices Duke Nukem". His work in DOTA 2 is just top notch.

Dac Vin wrote: »

Jon St-John is probably the most underrated voice actor of this industry and deserves more than being known as "the dude that voices Duke Nukem". His work in DOTA 2 is just top notch.

Agreed.

Though way back when I made the original post about the game on these boards, I titled it something along the lines of, "Duke Nukem is voicing Dota for Valve".

The first response was "what the fuck is happening".

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I just looked up which voices he did because the only one I was sure of was Axe. Apparently he's also Bloodseeker, Enigma and Kunkka.

I would not have guessed that Kunkka's voice was done by the same guy as those other three.

Did anyone else notice that before Phantom Lancer we got four heroes voiced by Nolan North in a row? Not that I would have actually guessed that he did any of those without having looked it up.

Peewi wrote: »

I just looked up which voices he did because the only one I was sure of was Axe. Apparently he's also Bloodseeker, Enigma and Kunkka.

I would not have guessed that Kunkka's voice was done by the same guy as those other three.

Did anyone else notice that before Phantom Lancer we got four heroes voiced by Nolan North in a row? Not that I would have actually guessed that he did any of those without having looked it up.

Early on in the beta, Enigma was very obviously him, as it didnt have the effects applied yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO5ct3G4UIY

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    Edit: Not sure now, seeing different names in different places. Hm.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheManTrapTheManTrap Registered User regular
    According to the Dota 2 wiki David Scully voiced Morphling, but I dunno if it is correct.

i just wish this nba jam announcer soundpack had the faintest glimmer of becoming offical

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    goddamn winning a 4v5 is the best feeling ever.

Ursa and SK try to do the whole solo rosh thing at level 1, like seeing an sk and ursa on the same team isn't a giant beacon of "holy fuck get to rosh." they go and do it anyways along with huskar, they get ganked by the entire enemy team. SK says gg and leaves, we're down 3 deaths, and it's 4v5.

we then proceed to fuck them in the ass all game. Helps that my team was bane (me)...then ursa, huskar, miranda, while they has am, wd, lion, dazzle and brewmaster. They were smart enough and pushed very hard early game, but it just wasn't enough. ursa got a good 5 roshans all game, while huskar farmed and me and mirands were ward bitches. Their am just couldn't out farm our ursa, and for some reason lion and wd would come straight at me and blow their spells on me instead of huskar or ursa, it was slaughter.

It was also my 6th bane win in a row. Feels good man.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I am having a bit of trouble with my Phantom Lancer build. I am really enjoying the hero and he seems to have a surprising amount of lane presence despite being a hard carry, which is something I really want to capitalize on. A guide I checked out suggested either vanguard then radiance for hard carrying, or two wraith bands then diffusal then yasha for a more ganky game.

So far I have felt like the first is too much of a boring ricing build, while the second does not have enough health regen for me to stay in lane. What I have tried so far is starting with shield, a couple of sticks and regen, then building aquila, boots, vanguard, diffusal, sange, boots of travel, butterfly.

Vanguard does not feel like a perfect fit, especially since the images do not get the damage block, but I really need items that help me stay active in lane and I can't figure out a more effective way to do that. The regen stays useful throughout the whole game and lets me jungle much earlier than I otherwise could as well. Any suggestions?

I've always thought vanguard was poop on PL. If you're having a hard time with survivablity just go with 2 bracers. Grabbing a bottle and midding with PL is also really fun. Completely viable depending on who you're midding against. I would finish BoT before you get sange though. By that time you should have your illusions maxed out and probably close to lvl2 ult so getting illusions to multiply isn't really all that difficult with his bast attk speed.

edited May 2012
    Vanguard should depend on whether you want to be a hardcore farming carry or a pushing hero. Pretty much how AM chooses between battlefury (super farming), vlads (team pushing), and manta (team fights and anti-silence) as his 2nd item.

Page- on
    stream
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i just wish this nba jam announcer soundpack had the faintest glimmer of becoming offical

i am glad someone linked that to you

it's beautiful

19ZUtIw.png

i am glad someone linked that to you

it's beautiful

DEFINITE

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Who are some good hard counters to heroes like Ursa and Lycan? Every pub game I play, someone on the opposite team tends to pick one of these two. I figured Bane because of Nightmare and Enfeeble, but I could be completely off base with that. Any other suggestions?

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I thought the announcer was the actress who plays River Song in Doctor Who. That was, of course, after marathoning season 6 and getting it stuck in my head that every British woman sounds exactly like her. I wasn't terribly surprised to find out it wasn't her, but I was a bit shocked that the voice actress does QoP's voice as well. 8-)

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    i do not regret buying a force staff in order to help my farmed leoric farm the enemy team's fountain for the last minute of our 2 rax push

just

whack, they were dead once i force staffed them out because of deso and rapier and daedalus on that skeleton king

as panda

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Is Axe as awesome in this game as he was in TFT DotA?