As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Helping a baby bird

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty simple.

A few hours ago, a baby bird was blown out of its nest in my front yard. It has feathers and everything but can't really walk or move around (one of its wings may be damaged, I'm not sure though).

Anyway, I left it out there because it seemed to be moving around relatively well... I check a few hours later and it was laying on its side in the middle of the walkway. It couldn't get back up again.

So I take it (with gloves and everything) and build it a little temporary home in a shoe box with grass and what have you. I did a bunch of research on how to feed them and ultimately got some wet dog food and tried to feed it (it's obviously very hungry). The first piece was actually too large (stupid mistake on my part) and I had to fish it out with some tweezers because it started choking on it. Anyway, I managed to get some broth down its throat but it still doesn't seem satisfied. And after doing some more research online, apparently they must be fed every twenty minutes? I can't do that.

I took it back outside, turned the box sideways so it would have shelter, and left it there. I was stupid and I named it Charlie so I feel extra sad, but I tried to make it as comfortable as I could because I figured it was going to die tonight.

Anyway, that was a few hours ago. I just went outside to check on it and it's doing this weird seizing and shaking thing and it just seems like it is in a bunch of pain. And now I feel especially guilty, because what if the internet was wrong and the wet food I gave it is poisoning it or something? I don't know. I want to put it out of its misery but I don't know how to do it in a way that isn't excessively brutal (dropping a brick or something). Any advice?

P.S. Yes I know I'm being stupid and it's just a bird. I know millions die every year like this. But I'm retarded when it comes to animals.

I hate you and you hate me.
billwill on

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    If I were you, I would take relocate it to the furthest point of your yard away from your house, facing away. Nature will take its course in due time, but there's nothing else you can do.

I mean, you can snap its neck if you want to end it quick, if you want.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Why not call a wildlife rescue or take it in to one instead of killing it? :?

Esh on
  • Options
    Esh wrote: »

Thanks for the edit.

There are no wildlife rescues that will be open for another ten hours at least.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If you truly have the soft spot for animals that you say you do, do whatever you can to help the bird. You'll hate yourself afterwards if you don't.

Plus, its a nice feeling to have helped. My wife had a colleague who saved a baby magpie after it was struck by a cyclist on a road - the bird ended up being nearly tame - it would show up to her house every morning for months afterwards for breakfast food.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    billwill wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

Thanks for the edit.

There are no wildlife rescues that will be open for another ten hours at least.

Well, sleep on it, try to keep it warm, and call them right when they open in the morning. It should have been the first thing you did instead of trying to nurse it back to health.

Esh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    lots of vets are open (or at least have someone answering phones) overnight. You could try soliciting some free advice there, at least.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If you truly have the soft spot for animals that you say you do, do whatever you can to help the bird. You'll hate yourself afterwards if you don't.

Plus, its a nice feeling to have helped. My wife had a colleague who saved a baby magpie after it was struck by a cyclist on a road - the bird ended up being nearly tame - it would show up to her house every morning for months afterwards for breakfast food.

I appreciate the sentiment but this doesn't help much.

I have final exams tomorrow morning along with work right after. I can't stay up all night feeding this baby bird in twenty minute intervals.

The only wildlife rescue that would even possibly accept it doesn't open until 10am. I have exams from 10:10am to 12:10pm and then work from 12:30pm to 8pm.

And why do you always assume things? Of course I called when I found it. It's how I discovered their hours. They were already closed.

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    Not an ornithologist, but I'm willing to bet that the wildlife center will tell you to leave it alone.

If it's a fledgling, mom and dad probably booted it out of the nest. They'll keep feeding it until it can fly, but it's sort of a situation of 'well, you're a big bird now and you need to start doing things for yourself'.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    billwill wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I appreciate the sentiment but this doesn't help much.

I have final exams tomorrow morning along with work right after. I can't stay up all night feeding this baby bird in twenty minute intervals.

The only wildlife rescue that would even possibly accept it doesn't open until 10am. I have exams from 10:10am to 12:10pm and then work from 12:30pm to 8pm.

And why do you always assume things? Of course I called when I found it. It's how I discovered their hours. They were already closed.

Well, you obviously don't intend to help it in the morning, and I don't think anyone here is going to tell you how to kill it, so put it in a grassy area of your yard where it won't get stepped on and good luck with your exams tomorrow.

Esh on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    billwill wrote:
    Anyway, that was a few hours ago. I just went outside to check on it and it's doing this weird seizing and shaking thing and it just seems like it is in a bunch of pain.

Could be a sign of something seriously wrong on the inside, broken bone, internal bleeding. When its doing this its not likely to survive. If it does survive until morning you can drop it off at their doorstep in the shoebox, even if they are closed.