As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do gay protagonists exist? ( Web Comics and Novels AND MUSIC help )

13»

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Comics:
    The Authority
    Young Avengers

Book:
    Wraethu

Northstar too, but he's somewhat less notable (Alpha Flight, Nation X)

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Web Comic: http://www.goodbyechains.com

Best webcomic I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Thanks for this. I'd never heard of it but I'm digging it so far :mrgreen:

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hero is a book about a gay teen that develops super powers. It's decent, not amazing writing but a fun read.

this is the text for the short story of Brokeback mountain. Very sad, but a beautiful story nonetheless.

If you have any way of getting to an arthouse or indie theater, try and find a showing of A Single Man. Again it is quite sad but achingly beautiful.

I'm sort of blanking on this though. I can't really think of any songs other some ones I like that are gender neutral.

like:

Sea of Love
    and Summertime Clothes
    I'm a gay dude and I find both of those songs pretty sweet, and neither of them bring up gender.

oh and here's a very nice fan made music video for a grizzly bear song. It's a lovely song also. Plus one of the musicians in grizzly bear is gay! The song doesn't swing either way, but the fan interpreted as a gay love song.

http://vimeo.com/5904993

Casual Eddy on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    anyone posted Franz Ferdinand's 'Michael' yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OH7NhwZlj4

:whistle: so come and dance with me michael :whistle:

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    Lord of the rings

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan (not that great a book though)

The Last Rune series by Mark Anthony
    Compared to The Last Rune, The Steel Remains is goddamn Shakespeare.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drswords wrote: »
    Asiina wrote: »
    Are you looking for stories that have a protagonist who happens to be gay, or novels/comics about queer issues?

There was Boy Meets Boy that was succeeded by Friendly Hostility but both are done and pretty old.

Christopher Rice (Anne Rice's son) has a number of books that tend to be featuring gay leads. I've only read A Density of Souls, but it was pretty good. The sequel to Wicked, Son of a Witch features a character which happens to be gay.

There are also an endless number of "Coming Out" novels if you want something that's a little more about actually being gay. There was one I read about high-school football players that I can't remember now but googling "gay football novel" has shown me that there are many such stories.

Honestly im looking for anything that isnt a romance novel or erotica book.

Its really despicable that Hastings doesnt carry anything but pretty heavy handed smut, or really cheesy romance novels. Also their selection is about 9/10ths lesbian 1/10th gay male.

Ill look into Christopher Rice. Ill also look at the webcomics.

I went ahead and orderd the Nightrunner series. Sounds fantastic.

Im also looking at getting Sacrament.

I mean honeslty i have no problem with coming out stories and the like, its just the whole coming out thing gets depressing and old.

Something i never can seem to find is a book about a gay man's daily life. Not the coming out or anytbing. Just like a "Day in the life of" kinda book. I love those kind of stories, and i have yet to find one with a gay character.

Something ive been repeatedly told over and over by so called friends, and people ive sought advice from elsewhere, is that i shouldnt be bothered by straight protagonists. And im not per se... but i cant relate to straight romantic relationships AT all. I dont understand or have anything in common with the whole seductive lady thing. I mean i appreciate the relationships in books like The Dresden Files, but i dont relate to it.

And its probably pretty asinine that i need to have a gay characrter to relate to, but i grew up without any gay role models whatsoever. The first time i saw a gay character on tv was Will and Grace, and that was horrible. I didnt discover Queer As Folk until i was in my twenties, and even it is sorta.... extreme. Im not a club junkie, and i dont go around looking for guys to "screw" so i dont realy understand the mindsets of the characters.

I guess im rambling.
    Lintilla wrote: »
    Girly by Josh Lesnick is a pretty wacky webcomic, but it is also one of the most genuine feeling lesbian romances I've seen when it pauses to be serious for ten seconds.

(Edit: Oh, sorry you said gay MALES.)

(Double Edit: Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley is pretty gay.)

Sorry. I mean i dont been to be excluding... its just that im not a lesbian... Sorry... I know that kinda comes off assholish, and i know the whole GLBT thing is about community or whatever, but i dont live in a community. I dont have any gay friends anymore, and i dont know any lesbians.. so i dont quite get the whole "we are a community" thing. Maybe if i lived in san fransicso.

Christopher Rice's stuff isn't bad. His first two books were decent, although not really something I would necessarily read again. I agree with supporting LGBT authors and such, but if it's not as good as a book about "straight" people, then I don't know.

Augusten Burroughs and David Sedaris are two excellent gay authors (who are actually quite well-known in the mainstream), if they haven't been suggested. Sedaris' stuff is more comedy-themed, but he does talk about his partner in a number of stories. Augusten may or may not be partnered right now, but is a very engaging storyteller, although some of his stuff is more shocking than humor. He definitely talks about relationships, however.

LGBT music... Do you mean music by LGBT groups? Or just pro-LGBT?
    LGBT there are plenty... Pansy Division, Pet Shop Boys (one of my personal favorites), R.E.M, Rufus Wainright, Queen...

There's multiple websites that list a lot of them:
    http://www.rainbowsauce.com/music.html

Pro-LGBT there are even more, but that site should help you for now.

While I understand your rant about the bookstore, they stock what sells.
    Do you subscribe to any LGBT magazines? The Advocate and Out regularly have reviews of Queer music, novels, plays, movies, etc that would be of interest to you - and no, they aren't smut, they are actually things of substance (It's easy to find smut, right). The Advocate is usually more political, but both magazines have reviews and information about non-politically related things.
    Having grown up in a rural and anti-gay area of the country, I had to rely on magazines and such for a number of years as well.

I could keep going.
    For... quite a long time.
    So you can IM or PM me if you have any more questions, as I don't check H&A too often. =)

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited January 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be gay characters. I have gay friends and their lives are no different from my straight lives other than the fact that he likes to be with a man instead of a woman.

I think there's just some part of it I'm not seeing, I'm curious as to what I'm missing out on though.

You are not seeing what gay/bisexual/lesbian/transgender people go through.
    As such, you shouldn't make blanket statements about how their lives are not different.
    At best, you are simply wrong.
    At worst, you sound ignorant and/or insulting.

For a heterosexual couple, do they have to consider if they are even legally allowed TO GET MARRIED?
    Does a heterosexual couple have to worry about laws if their partner goes into a coma or dies that may prevent them from seeing their loved one?
    Does a heterosexual couple have to worry about the fact that many peoples' wills have been contested by the person's family and their partner ends up getting nothing based on the fact they were gay/bisexual/lesbian?

So please, PLEASE educate yourself before making statements like this. I assume you didn't mean this in an insulting way, but that's just the problem:
    a lot of people simply do. not. understand. all the problems that may affects LGBT people that simply don't even appear on a heterosexual person's radar.

You don't have to "get" how it is different to be gay... because you aren't.
    But in many, many ways it is very different.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    neville wrote: »
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be gay characters. I have gay friends and their lives are no different from my straight lives other than the fact that he likes to be with a man instead of a woman.

I think there's just some part of it I'm not seeing, I'm curious as to what I'm missing out on though.

You are not seeing what gay/bisexual/lesbian/transgender people go through.
    As such, you shouldn't make blanket statements about how their lives are not different.
    At best, you are simply wrong.
    At worst, you sound ignorant and/or insulting.

For a heterosexual couple, do they have to consider if they are even legally allowed TO GET MARRIED?
    Does a heterosexual couple have to worry about laws if their partner goes into a coma or dies that may prevent them from seeing their loved one?
    Does a heterosexual couple have to worry about the fact that many peoples' wills have been contested by the person's family and their partner ends up getting nothing based on the fact they were gay/bisexual/lesbian?

So please, PLEASE educate yourself before making statements like this. I assume you didn't mean this in an insulting way, but that's just the problem:
    a lot of people simply do. not. understand. all the problems that may affects LGBT people that simply don't even appear on a heterosexual person's radar.

You don't have to "get" how it is different to be gay... because you aren't.
    But in many, many ways it is very different.

I'm not seeing where any of these worries have anything to do with what you find in entertainment. That's the part that doesn't make sense with me.

It's the same thing as going "You know I'm looking for a book where the main character is a woman." Ok cool. I read a lot of books where the main character is a woman. It doesn't mean I'm a woman or that I feel I need that.

I don't goto the book store to read books that are about white men because I am a white man, I read books because in general they entertain me and that's enough. If it isn't for anyone else then ok fine, go find the book you want. I'm just saying I don't let the shitty stuff in my life dictate what kind of books I want to read, or the kind of music or movies I want to listen to.

I listen to bands I like because the music is good, not because they have someone in the band that is a certain gender or a certain sexual preference.

I'm tired of being argued at because of this topic. I'm just saying I like stuff because I like it, and I don't NEED it to be about a certain thing to like it.

But if you NEED that, then fine.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm just saying I don't let the shitty stuff in my life dictate what kind of books I want to read, or the kind of music or movies I want to listen to.

Nice. Real nice. :x

I will just ask for the sake of the integrity of this thread that the conversation about why someone would read something with a gay protagonist in it be brought to a halt.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm just saying I don't let the shitty stuff in my life dictate what kind of books I want to read, or the kind of music or movies I want to listen to.

notice how I said my life. I've had shitty stuff happen to me too. I'm not gonna comment any further because this isn't really the place for it.

Glad you found some books, sorry I don't completely understand the situation.

later

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited January 2010

notice how I said my life. I've had shitty stuff happen to me too. I'm not gonna comment any further because this isn't really the place for it.

Glad you found some books, sorry I don't completely understand the situation.

later

Im not reading books with a gay protagonist in them cause ive been gaybashed or ostracized.

Im reading them because i relate more easily to a gay character than a straight one. I can see myself in their shoes more easily.

You repeatedly completely miss the point.

Also the way you keep phrasing it.. you act like my sexuality is some horrible tragedy, rather than the events that transpire around the fact that i am gay. I really dont like that at all.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Augusten Burroughs and David Sedaris are two excellent gay authors (who are actually quite well-known in the mainstream), if they haven't been suggested. Sedaris' stuff is more comedy-themed, but he does talk about his partner in a number of stories. Augusten may or may not be partnered right now, but is a very engaging storyteller, although some of his stuff is more shocking than humor. He definitely talks about relationships, however.

I highly recommend Augusten Burroughs' books. His writing is engaging and fascinating. He's also a really nice guy, who I've met once! And he wrote back when I wrote him an e-mail after reading Running with Scissors. (I tend to make it a point to e-mail authors when I like their books.)

Anyway, I would start with Possible Side Effects. It's a "day in the life" book of a gay guy, and it's hilarious and awesome and I love it.

Melkster on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Several of the characters in Shortpacked! are gay, although it's not often the main plot.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, http://www.glbtfantasy.com/ is a good resource if you're into fantasy. I believe they have links to similar sites for other genres in the links section, as well.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm gonna second The Authority, simply for being a pretty awesome super hero comic. It's definitely a superhero comic lover's superhero comic. It drops all pretense of vulnerability and flaws (in the superhero sense) and focuses on flaws of the personal. The Doctor is basically a shaman who can alter reality with a thought, and is addicted to heroin. Midnighter is a super-powered beat-em-up guy who can calculate thousands of battle outcomes in a split second, so he always wins a fight. He and his husband, Apollo, who gains superman-like powers from solar energy, have adopted the reborn version of a former member of their group, just to give you an idea of what kind of stories they do.

TheMarshal on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neanderthal_Parallax

By Robert J Sawyer

While the main human character is not gay, the main characters from the Neanderthals are bisexual, actually the entire species is.

Cabezone on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Melkster wrote: »

I highly recommend Augusten Burroughs' books. His writing is engaging and fascinating. He's also a really nice guy, who I've met once! And he wrote back when I wrote him an e-mail after reading Running with Scissors. (I tend to make it a point to e-mail authors when I like their books.)

Anyway, I would start with Possible Side Effects. It's a "day in the life" book of a gay guy, and it's hilarious and awesome and I love it.

oh good call. definitely check out david sedaris. his is a similar (in my opinion better) "day-in-the-life" memoir style of writing but he's extremely funny.

in particular me talk pretty one day and when you are engulfed in flames. he's a phenomenal writer.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Alright, I wasn't sure if I should link it or not since I'm involved, but what the hell. I write for this site. There, you've been warned.

http://www.pinkkryptonite.com

In particular, you might find the GLBT character of the week series from last year interesting.

MuddBudd on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    I came here to recommend The Authority, but I see I'm late. :P

Other stuff I can think of right now:

The Chosen by Ricardo Pinto
    Iron Council by China Miéville

Neither of them pay any special heed to the homosexual characters, they just happen to have sex with the same gender rather than the opposite.

The homosexuality isn't mentioned at all until near the end of The Chosen, and I haven't read the sequel, so it might not be what you want. But it's great stuff anyway.

Echo on
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im also looking for GLBT themed music. I know there are a lot of songs ambiguous enough to work for all sexualities... but i for once would like to hear a song about love between two gay men.

Look into The Magnetic Fields. Some of the songs are ambiguous, but quite a few are clearly about gay relationships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMTeu3Y1sQ

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Okay well, my copies of the Nightrunner series came in today. I read Luck in the Shadows already. Good stuff. Oddly reminiscent of the Last Herald Mage Trilogy. Hell, by description Seregil is a dead ringer for Vanyel Ashkevron.

Im well into book 2 at the moment.

I want to thank you all once again for your contributions to this thread. If you come up with anything else please add it to the list.

This has most certainly made my week, if not my entire month! ^_^

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010

I prefer Sedaris's books in general, since they tend to be humorous stories, which is more my thing.
    Augusten's stuff is very good, but at times very draining, especially his book about trying to stop being an alcoholic. It was just very emotional to read, although definitely worth it.

I have never emailed an author, maybe I should. I do enjoy reading.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited January 2010
    Servo wrote: »

oh good call. definitely check out david sedaris. his is a similar (in my opinion better) "day-in-the-life" memoir style of writing but he's extremely funny.

in particular me talk pretty one day and when you are engulfed in flames. he's a phenomenal writer.

Sedaris also has a very memorable voice.
    I've seen him three times in person for a reading (which is really, really fun) and now when I read, I hear everything in his voice, which only improves things.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    yeah i've heard him read on npr before and those are always fun segments.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I bought a David Sedaris book off of Audible.

"Me Talk Pretty Someday"

So far its funny as hell.

I relate to the speech therapy story way too well ( i was mostly deaf as a child ). Thankfully though i think i had much better speech therapists.

Also... i dont think they gave a shit that i talked and sounded like a girl until i hit puberty. In which case my voice dropped half an octive, and i started sounding more like my mother.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    I think someone else mentioned it, but you NEED to listen to Jay Brannan. His album, Goddamned, is AMAZING. As in, you should go fucking buy it on itunes right now amazing.

Also, if you like Sedaris, he is often a contributor to This American Life. They just featured him in the podcast christmas special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNxzFPTA1y4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxxVihPGFk

MuddBudd on
    edited January 2010
    Okay.. now im sorta .. sigh.

Jay Brannan.. got it. After seeing that video... just wow. That song was beautiful, and his voice was so serene.

Also... maybe its just me.. but i wouldnt mind being a housewife either. That would probably be a blissful existence.

Women in the 1950s really had it made didnt they? :P

Also, what im "sigh" about... is i have like no money for nothing now. Most of my christmas money got swept away in Steam Sales and getting a new couch for my study. And now that i have all these new books and stuff....

Sigh. I gotta beg my mom for 10 bucks now to get that album.

>_>

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    has anyone said The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal? Searched "gore vidal" with no results, so figured I'd add it.

One of the first novels with a gay protagonist who isn't punished for being gay, and Vidal was blacklisted for a few years after its release.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited January 2010
    You know all the classics of course, right?

Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode... Then stuff like madonna and bette midler.

I'm unsure of your total gay education here.

MuddBudd on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My friend Alisdair Duncan is a gay writer who writes gay/bisexual/sexually experimental lead (and peripheral) characters. I'm reading his second book Metro at the moment. His first book is Sushi Central / Dance, Recover, Repeat in the US.

desperaterobots on
    edited January 2010
    Oh, Samuel Delany often writes gay positive characters into his novels.

MuddBudd on
  • k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone mention Omar from The Wire yet? That show has some of the best ass-kicking un-stereotypical gay protagonists. Not to mention it's an amazing show to boot.

k-maps on
    edited January 2010
    k-maps wrote: »
    Anyone mention Omar from The Wire yet? That show has some of the best ass-kicking un-stereotypical gay protagonists. Not to mention it's an amazing show to boot.

I still havent seen The Wire. I got HBO just recently so... damn.

And i dont have money for expensive dvd boxsets.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Senseless, by Paul Golding. I picked this up on a whim in a 2nd hand store in Thailand, and it was probably the most interesting thing I read all year. The writing style may not appeal to all, but I'd definitely recommend trying to borrow it out from your library.

exis on
  • EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In regards to Music involving that Theme. I suggest...

The Kinks -- Lola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRopmfinsWk

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On the subject of music with gay themes, maybe these will float you..

MGMT - Kids (Electro stompy stuff)
    The Smiths - This Charming Man (British aternative from the eighties)

Mr Bubbles on
    edited January 2010
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    MGMT - Kids (Electro stompy stuff)

I hate that song.

I don't know why. Maybe because there was a two month period here where it was played on the radio every 15 goddamned minutes.

MuddBudd on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It might be the catchiest melody line ever written, and for that, I tip my hat

Mr Bubbles on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    k-maps wrote: »

I still havent seen The Wire. I got HBO just recently so... damn.

And i dont have money for expensive dvd boxsets.

I THINK with an HBO subscription you can go into HBO Go online and watch all their old stuff.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If you kinda like sad/funny music look up John Grant's Album, Queen of Denmark.
    And the Czars considering John was from that band.
    His music is somewhat to do with his drug and alcohol addiction from being gay.

This discussion has been closed.