As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

alien 3: a pretty interesting movie, even if bad

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    It was the about the fucking rapist nature of that alien, man. All the time, ripley's surrounded by the prisoner monks, that know only of other dudes. Everyone's fucking sweaty and bald and disgusting, feeding off of rape eroticism in prison atmosphere, there is no way out for lifers save suicide.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I like how they didn't even try to hide all the rape imagery, and a lot of people still didn't get it even after watching it hundreds of times

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    The men at the penal colony lived a perfectly peaceful existence free from sexual temptation

then Woman comes down and immediately turns men into rapists and brings death to their utopia. She must have her head shaved, symbolic of taking away her sexual attractiveness so she can't go around tempting Man

the movie ends with Woman (along with Hatching Woman coming out of her chest) being destroyed, saving Man

It's just disgusting.

I've never seen the director's cut or whatever and it's been quite a while, but I feel like there were a lot of suggestions that the penal colony's religious bent was a pointedly flawed effort at a utopia anyway, that they weren't escaping the problems of human sexuality and violence, just becoming detached, and that Ripley wasn't destroyed at the end, she was cheesily transfigured.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    gore in 'horror' movies like event horizen feels so cheesy and dumb. I would rather just keep it in action movies and black comedies.

see like this clip it owns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEdLuqK1RQ

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    this page just broke me

just

using quotation marks like that

jars

you have killed me

7656367.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I remember being scared by the warehouse scene in Robocop 2.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jars wrote: »
    gore in 'horror' movies like event horizen feels so cheesy and dumb. I would rather just keep it in action movies and black comedies.

see like this clip it owns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEdLuqK1RQ

yeah. savini-type gore is really only good for slapstick in horror films, as weird as that is

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I haven't seen 28 weeks later. Is it better or worse than Land of the Dead as far as disappointing sequels go?

I'd say worse. It makes better use of its production value than Land did, but it's got this utterly empty, sort of nihilistic understanding of its characters. I'd actually put Land of the Dead on par with Day of the Dead in terms of missing the mark, though, so it wasn't a huge disappointment in that regard. I think if there were a way to stitch together the good parts of Land and Planet Terror, you'd have a pretty decent call back to earlier successes of the genre, in a similar fashion to what 28 Days Later did with its homage but with an emphasis on the campier indulgences.
    I love Day of the Dead. Not disappointing to me at all. It might not reach the heights of social commentary that dawn managed or the greatness of Night, but the spectacular overacting makes it so enjoyable a film. Captain Rhodes especially. I can't say I recall a single character in Land.

well event horizon was supposed to be a horror movie right? it just didn't end up that way

I guess there are a couple horror movies that used gore well. like hellraiser

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    well event horizon was supposed to be a horror movie right? it just didn't end up that way

uh what

wait it actually was a comedy? okay that explains a lot

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

uh what
    are you going to argue with wiki
    mcmom.png

• ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    I still think the Gibson script would've been a much better movie.

Alien Horde. Exterior of an exploding station. IN SPACE.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Jars for most gullible forumer 2012.

b1ehrMM.gif
    look

there are lots of reasons to call event horizon a comedy

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    only in the same way that Showgirls and Zardoz and Plan 9 From Outer Space are comedies

the last half pretty much is

sam neill does his best but damn, that bald ritual cut-on suit looks like a pile of shit

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Event Horizon is what is known in layman's terms as Not A Very Good Movie

the first half could be great if it wasn't for the last half

i'm now watching r-point, which is fucking awesome

makes doing my readings bearable

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Speaking of horror movies, Orik have you seen REC?

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    THIS HAS BEEN ON MY MIND LIKE FOR THE PAST MONTH....

Mostly because it's been on TV lately and it's still a decent movie but sorta not but hey it's a movie and it's got aliens and you're all, alright.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Sunshine was Event Horizon done proper, far as I'm concerned

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    its funny, because r-point isn't a disturbing movie in the sense of clive barker or hellraiser

but it's a really, really well-done movie and everything goes to hell in the end, so it ends up being far scarier

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Sunshine was Event Horizon done proper, far as I'm concerned

Eh, the ending to sunshine is pretty shit too.

I haven't seen 28 weeks later. Is it better or worse than Land of the Dead as far as disappointing sequels go?

I'd say worse. It makes better use of its production value than Land did, but it's got this utterly empty, sort of nihilistic understanding of its characters. I'd actually put Land of the Dead on par with Day of the Dead in terms of missing the mark, though, so it wasn't a huge disappointment in that regard. I think if there were a way to stitch together the good parts of Land and Planet Terror, you'd have a pretty decent call back to earlier successes of the genre, in a similar fashion to what 28 Days Later did with its homage but with an emphasis on the campier indulgences.
    I love Day of the Dead. Not disappointing to me at all. It might not reach the heights of social commentary that dawn managed or the greatness of Night, but the spectacular overacting makes it so enjoyable a film. Captain Rhodes especially. I can't say I recall a single character in Land.

Don't get me wrong, I bought the special edition DVD of Day of the Dead when my VHS copy wore out. I thoroughly enjoy the movie. I just happen to think there are also a lot of things wrong with it. I also have more distinct memories of Day, but the first time I ever watched it was probably 17 or 18 years ago now, and I was at an age where I was more susceptible to developing those bonds with works of fiction. I'm sure some future 12 year-old will have plenty of time in his life to establish a similarly obsessive experience with Romero's oeuvre as it exists then.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The men at the penal colony lived a perfectly peaceful existence free from sexual temptation

then Woman comes down and immediately turns men into rapists and brings death to their utopia. She must have her head shaved, symbolic of taking away her sexual attractiveness so she can't go around tempting Man

the movie ends with Woman (along with Hatching Woman coming out of her chest) being destroyed, saving Man

It's just disgusting.

Yeah, no. She didn't turn any of them into rapists, they already were, that's why they were there, and the ones that weren't didn't suddenly become them. And who says bald women aren't attractive? You're painting with some ridiculously over-sized brushes there.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Long hair and feminine beauty are pretty closely linked on a cultural level bro.

And even if they were already rapists, they were not practicing rapists. Thoughtcrime versus, well, crime.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It's just disgusting.

Yeah, no. She didn't turn any of them into rapists, they already were, that's why they were there, and the ones that weren't didn't suddenly become them. And who says bald women aren't attractive? You're painting with some ridiculously over-sized brushes there.

Lots of people would say that.

There's loads of media from around the world that depicts bald women as alien or giving up their femininity or even just tying hair to their self image as a woman.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You could say, she was

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Alienating.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Wacky black dude in Event Horizon kind of hurt the atmosphere

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

I'm watching the making of documentary, and apparently he improvised a bunch of his lines and was generally just full of life about having just gotten married and him and his new wife getting to live in England for six months making a film abroad.

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    So I havn't read this thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned.

But I heard the planet in Alien 3 was originally supposed to be a giant sphere made of wood...

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Well it was entirely populated by men.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

I'm watching the making of documentary, and apparently he improvised a bunch of his lines and was generally just full of life about having just gotten married and him and his new wife getting to live in England for six months making a film abroad.

They should not have let him do that

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    This documentary is pretty interesting in parts. There's some interesting bits in this section especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtf1TZLccY

question: do you find the alien scary?

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    that shit is like, full of acid. and spiky. and got like two mouths? fuck yeah the aliens are scary.

Melding wrote: »
    that shit is like, full of acid. and spiky. and got like two mouthsa dozen penises? fuck yeah the aliens are scary.