As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheapo Mic Stand?

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am now doing a podcast and using my Rock Band USB mic as my podcasting mic. It works surprisingly well audio quality wise, but moving around while holding it is fairly audible, so I'd like to grab a cheapo mic stand. However, amazon mic stands are a giant enigma to me. There's stuff like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053CTVP0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_g267_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=11CGTJWQ57FKP557PF77&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 which is in a great price range, but I am unclear if it has everything included that I need. Basically, I just need to make sure it bends down so I can put it close enough to my head to pick up words, and also hold my actual mic. Suggestions?

SniperGuy on

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Are you sitting or standing while you record? I'd imagine you're just sitting at your pc, so what you're looking for is a Desktop Microphone Stand. Amazon search that term and you'll find what you need.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Are you sitting or standing while you record? I'd imagine you're just sitting at your pc, so what you're looking for is a Desktop Microphone Stand. Amazon search that term and you'll find what you need.

Would that pick up the vibration/noise from my PC, which also sits on my desk?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Potentially.

If you need something that will sit on the floor, get a fixed boom tripod stand like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMFSDE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_g267_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18A7RDEFKKBJVFP1B1EV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    you probably could jury rig a cheapo tripod into one as well with some hose clamps/zip ties

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options

Potentially.

If you need something that will sit on the floor, get a fixed boom tripod stand like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMFSDE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_g267_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18A7RDEFKKBJVFP1B1EV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

That looks good, but does it have a clip for the actual mic? It doesn't appear to in the picture. Reviews seem to be good though.

• Options

Potentially.

That looks good, but does it have a clip for the actual mic? It doesn't appear to in the picture. Reviews seem to be good though.

No, it doesn't, but they are only 2-3 dollars.

It's a fine stand, I own several.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Ordered with a mic clip! Thanks! Can be locked.

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    Beware, not all mic clips are created equal. IIRC, the Rock band mic is a bit thicker than normal and won't fit in a standard mic clip.

• Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    Most clips are flexible enough to get most mics into them. There are 2 common sizes I've seen for regular mics and a smaller diameter for pencil mics (which the RB mic is not), so you're probably fine. There are exceptions to the rule, but using the kinda gear, I'd say it's not something to lose any sleep over.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    hey! HI5 to using a rock band USB mic for podcasting. I do the same.

I got a cheap (under $10) mic stand that has a little clip to hold the mic from Radio Shack and I've used it for years now. I also got a cheap pair ($20) of Sony headphones and my audio comes out great.

are YOU on the beer list?