As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Forum Badges

• Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    Maybe you could match the front and the back? Make the front all Western-y and old time-y? :3 That would be cool, like "Ye Olde PAX Forum Membership".

I second that emotion.

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    I should get in on this. I always mean to in years past, but I never do for some raisin.

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Looks very nice! Great job, looking forward to picking up mine! :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Maybe you could match the front and the back? Make the front all Western-y and old time-y? :3 That would be cool, like "Ye Olde PAX Forum Membership"

What, like this:
    PAX_Prime_2012_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_V2.jpg

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Boom! Gorgeous!! haha, that actually looks really awesome. Maybe clean up the 'grainy' look a bit?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Oh wow! Xxx

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Maybe you could match the front and the back? Make the front all Western-y and old time-y? :3 That would be cool, like "Ye Olde PAX Forum Membership"

What, like this:

Looks good, but I think the shield/logo kind of blends in a little too much with the background. Maybe keep that piece in color or just a muted/faded color or something so it stands out a bit more.

Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sageheart wrote: »

What, like this:

Looks good, but I think the shield/logo kind of blends in a little too much with the background. Maybe keep that piece in color or just a muted/faded color or something so it stands out a bit more.

I agree. Just a touch of color would make it look sharp. Love the design.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    For once, I'm actually actively participating on the forums after having badge and hotel but before the "OMG the con is like tomorrow!" panic sets in, so for once I get to participate in this lovely thread.

All I have to say right now is that I love the design, and the cookie hiding in plain sight (as is our wont) is spectacularly adorable. Hurrah!

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    So far so good! One thing though... am I going crazy or does the front look almost identical to one of the designs last year??

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Serenity wrote: »
    So far so good! One thing though... am I going crazy or does the front look almost identical to one of the designs last year??

Yeah, this has been discussed already. The front is using the forum community logo that was designed before east 2011. It's the community crest and has been used on many community items since then. It's a great way to quickly spot a forumer.

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    There should be a Forum Redesign related aspect to it too. I keep thinking along the lines of BADGE TOO BRIGHT MAKES TEXT HARD TO READ or whatever other QQ things people said.

But no, it looks great overall.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Serenity wrote: »

Yeah, this has been discussed already. The front is using the forum community logo that was designed before east 2011. It's the community crest and has been used on many community items since then. It's a great way to quickly spot a forumer.

I love the fact the front is the same year to year. It's easy to spot!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    Oooh! I like! It looks amazing.

One more thing for me to add to my lanyard. ^_^

• Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    Oh @kropotkin I love you and your cool forum badges with the names and the identifying traits and the things with the people on them and the thinging.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    What, like this:
    Oh yes, that's very snazzy!

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I love it! I had my name on last year's badge but didn't actually manage to get a hold of one. Hopefully I'll get my name on this one (will definitely be attending as many events like TWDT and Pre/Post PAX parties).

I am so stoked for PAX.

East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • Options
    CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    this will be handed out on PAXTrain or once we arrive in Seattle?

• Options
    RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I am participating in this thread and, provided I get the information needed and get in on-time, I'm going to the dinner.

RandomAtom on
    EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Cant wate to get my hands on one of these!!

• Options
    SeanSean Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    how do I get involved in this?

Sean on
  • Options
    Sean wrote: »
    how do I get involved in this?

you just did :)

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. Just to be clear on the design of the front image, I did not come up with the crest! That was created by the community some time ago. It is now the PAX community crest and is used for many events that are created for PAX attendees who are also on these forums. As such I will not be making any changes to the crest at all, for it is set in stone! Please be aware of this when making any feedback messages.

As for adding colour to the now dated front to match the rear, I was not aware colour printing was possible in the mid-1800's. If it was, I'll add a smidgen of colour. If it wasn't then I'm a little hesitant to add it. Nevertheless I'll put up a 3rd version with a touch of colour to see what people think of it.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    As for adding colour to the now dated front to match the rear, I was not aware colour printing was possible in the mid-1800's. If it was, I'll add a smidgen of colour. If it wasn't then I'm a little hesitant to add it. Nevertheless I'll put up a 3rd version with a touch of colour to see what people think of it.

you know i didn' t know this until this post made me go look out of curiosity but apparently it was (kind of)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromoxylography

although wooden block printing would have been more likely until later in the century (and definitely in the wild west I would have thought) - see also

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_printing

still very debatable (and personally I'm a fan the way it is ;) )

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the feedback all. Just to be clear on the design of the front image, I did not come up with the crest! That was created by the community some time ago. It is now the PAX community crest and is used for many events that are created for PAX attendees who are also on these forums. As such I will not be making any changes to the crest at all, for it is set in stone! Please be aware of this when making any feedback messages.

Color printing was available in the 1800s. There were incredibly detailed multi-color lithographs (which look remarkably modern), but there was also starting to be some good two-color printing out there.

I really like the style of this one, from 1885 (a little late, but shhh).
    Image850.jpg. It retains the old-timey feel but also throws in a splash of color. I can find full color lithographs earlier than that, but they don't look particularly period.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular

I don't know the extent of color printing in the 1800s but I was thinking more for an aesthetic reasons and ease of distinguishing the crest from the background. That's why I mentioned more muted colors to the crest still "pops" but doesn't drastically stand out from the old time-y background.

Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I'm liking the "old time-y" front more than I thought I would, but I'd have to prefer at least a little bit of color on there in some fashion, even just to be able to distinguish this as a Prime badge.

But I won't complain if it stays the way it is, because it still looks fantastic.

NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    TheCheshireTheCheshire Registered User new member
    Kinda lost me at "year of Our Lord"...

• Options
    edited May 2012

It was the style of the time. Definitely period appropriate regardless of personal opinions.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    I definitely like it, can't wait to get mine.

Also, for those that don't know, "In the year of our lord" is the English translation of Anno Domini which is the Latin phrase which is more commonly abbreviated to AD.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options

Oh I sympathise 100%, as it's a phrase that makes me cringe too. But like @zerzhul said, it was stated to keep it in period.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular

It was the style of the time. Definitely period appropriate regardless of personal opinions.

I, for one, will be wearing an onion on my belt in addition to this badge I hope to have. Now gimme five bees for a quarter!

• Options
    Spiritfire wrote: »

I, for one, will be wearing an onion on my belt in addition to this badge I hope to have. Now gimme five bees for a quarter!

They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

• Options
    Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Crogoth wrote: »

This is independent of PAX Train. If someone has them on the train, they might hand them out, but I think the plan is for them to be distributed at PAX.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »

This is independent of PAX Train. If someone has them on the train, they might hand them out, but I think the plan is for them to be distributed at PAX.
    On the contrary! If it was like the previous years, the three major Pre-PAX events (PAXTrain, MMT, PPD) get a stack for their own and hand back the rest (if there is any from their stack) to the BYOC stack.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So, being that i am still in the 20th century and do not have a smart phone or twitter or whatever, is there going to be an easy to find way to find these beautiful things on friday?

Because I am old fashioned, you see, and technology I do not understand scares me.

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    Sorry if this was already mentioned, but doesn't PAX close at 7 PM rather than 6? Or did I miss something somewhere?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »

On the contrary! If it was like the previous years, the three major Pre-PAX events (PAXTrain, MMT, PPD) get a stack for their own and hand back the rest (if there is any from their stack) to the BYOC stack.

I didn't get one last year on the Train.. :(

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh noes! I'm sorry. It was normally like that in the previous years...I could be wrong, though.

And PAX ends "officially" at 6 on Sunday evening. That is in quotations 'cause it is basically whenever the Final Round of the Omegathon is done is when it officially-officially ends. The Expo Halls closes at 6 each night, though.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sorry if this was already mentioned, but doesn't PAX close at 7 PM rather than 6? Or did I miss something somewhere?

PAX officially closes at 7pm on Sunday, not 6. Not sure where @CaptainTapole is pulling 6pm from unless she means the expo hall (which closes at 6pm each day).

The hours are listed on the registration page.
    EVENT HOURS
    Friday, Aug 31st, 2012 - 10am to 2am
    Saturday, Sep 1st, 2012 - 10am to 2am
    Sunday, Sep 2nd, 2012 - 10am to 7pm

So yes, the badge time needs an adjustment :)

zerzhul on
This discussion has been closed.