As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The only reason I tuned into the show in the beginning was because of Chevy.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much Chevy being cast had to do with the show getting picked up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The only reason I tuned into the show in the beginning was because of Chevy.

Funny, for me it was the exact opposite. Chevy was almost enough to keep me from tuning in. And any time I recommended it to someone, and they'd be like, "Ugh, Chevy Chase?" I'd let them know I felt the same way, but that Chevy was surprisingly really funny in this show.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    You know that show that came out last year that was terrible and was staring William Shatner? "Shit My Dad Says"? When that show premiered my internal thought process went something like this: "we don't need a show about an old bigoted guy saying ridiculous things, because we already have that in Community with Chevy Chase."

As other people have stated in this thread, his character is fairly one dimensional and has seen the littlest amount of growth, and generally speaking any growth that does occur is forgotten by the very next episode.

But ask yourself this: If Pierce were to slowly go through the transformation of being an obnoxious and bigoted person into a decent human being, would he still be funny? I actually like the way he is written now. Sure, he's a stereotype and a cliche. But that's kind of the whole point of the character.

The only alternative to Pierce that I can really see is to turn him into Sue from Glee. Sue is every bit as bigoted and obnoxious, but they did some interesting things with her by giving her a down syndrome sister and a soft spot for physically and mentally handicapped people. Sure, 99% of the time Sue brings the funny by way of being a complete and total jackass. But there's that 1% of the time where they humanize her. They would need to do something with Pierce, and at this point in the show, I don't know what that would be.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You know that show that came out last year that was terrible and was staring William Shatner? "Shit My Dad Says"? When that show premiered my internal thought process went something like this: "we don't need a show about an old bigoted guy saying ridiculous things, because we already have that in Community with Chevy Chase."

great thing about that was they slammed it directly with Troy's twitter account https://twitter.com/#!/oldwhitemansays

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I just wish they'd stop giving him moments of growth if they're not going to keep them.

You can grow slightly and still be a horrible person with hilarious stereotypes. Instead they're taking the lazy way out of giving him moments of slight growth and then ignoring them.

Lh96QHG.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Pierce was actually pretty awesome season 1. The earnoculars episode with the "we are only supposed to hear what is around us cause that's where the people we love are." Helping Shirley with her speech. Rolling to the VDay dance in a pantsuit and taking the punishment for Annie and Shirly, and the speech at the end of the sail episode.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    More evidence for my "season one is best" theory.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

This is a theory in the same way that gravity is a theory.

This is a theory in the same way that gravity is a theory.

Quality goes up, quality goes down, you can't explain that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://tvline.com/2012/05/07/nbc-renew-30-rock-final-season-community-parks-and-recreation-short-seasons/

Meanwhile, Deadline reports that Community and Parks and Recreation are also expected to be picked up for an abbreviated fourth and fifth season, respectively.

Captain Tragedy on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    And then everything on the network will fail and we'll get 9 - 13 more episodes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Man. NBC is dumb sometimes. Sure, they're in last place or whatever in the ratings. But is there an exit strategy here? Community might not pull the ratings of its competitor (Big Bang Theory), but its still a mighty fine show, and giving it a short half-season renewal tells me that the executives don't have any faith in their show. Chances are, however, that whatever they have lined up to replace it is probably a whole lot worse and less funny. And they also aren't looking at the big picture when they do these half-season renewals. NBC is in last place in almost every time slot. Leno is consistently behind Letterman, and do they even have a Monday night lineup?

They need to stop concentrating on mid-season replacements, and work on raising public awareness for the good shows that they already have.

Historically, shows don't gain audience unless they're huge hits in syndication (HIMYM as an example). And to be a huge hit in syndication, you need to be at least a moderate hit to begin with.

The bigger problem is they don't have anything they can use to launch things except the Super Bowl every fourth year.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    They'll end up doing the same thing they were doing to Chuck which is extending the seasons halfway through, which won't hurt the comedies as much as it did chuck which had a storyline planned for 13 episodes which they often screwed up to extend.

NBC's Thursday is perfectly fine I don't know why they fuck around with that schedule and don't work more on improving the real shit holes of their line up. Thursday may not be great against the ratings juggernaut competitors, but it's as good as NBC can expect.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Historically, shows don't gain audience unless they're huge hits in syndication (HIMYM as an example). And to be a huge hit in syndication, you need to be at least a moderate hit to begin with.

The bigger problem is they don't have anything they can use to launch things except the Super Bowl every fourth year.

This year's Summer Games will be huge boon to NBCs ratings, so there is that.

Yeah, but that's almost like falsifying data. Sure, they might have some huge ratings during the summer games, but as soon as they are over, which is well before the fall lineup launches, people will already be back to their usual routines and the extra ratings boost won't matter. Any advertising they do will be forgotten about long before the new shows even launch. And if they were gonna use the Olympics to advertise mid-season replacements, that means they are not using that advertising time to advertise the stuff they've already got lined up for September.

There's only like a month of lag, so theoretically it wouldn't be an awful idea.

We, as community fans, must adopt the Chuck method of saving the show and arrange a day to go buy Subway to show we care about the in show advertising. It worked once and we can make it work again.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    How abbreviated are talking here? To me 13 episodes is abbreviated for a half hour comedy, I was hoping for at least 18-20 more episodes.

At this point, give all the comedies a final sendoff season of 20ish episodes, and focus all your effort on figuring out what to do with the Office timeslot. Mercy kill it finally, reboot it, but don't think you can pin all your hopes on the new Matthew Perry comedy. Hell, at this point kickstarter a community 4th season or something, everything else is.

I would love to see Harmon kickstart Community with Sony if NBC cancels it.

Actually I'm not sure if that would be good or bad. I know I'd be down for backing Community, but then it could lead to a lot more show runners kick starting their new idea and become a mess of too many different things. There is a slight benefit to the network model even if they don't recognize the power of a cult fan base.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

This year's Summer Games will be huge boon to NBCs ratings, so there is that.

They show reruns of their shows when the Games aren't going on, right? They should.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Pierce is basically Cartman who is basically Archie Bunker who is basically Alf Garnett

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    As other people have stated in this thread, his character is fairly one dimensional and has seen the littlest amount of growth, and generally speaking any growth that does occur is forgotten by the very next episode.

Say what?! Pierce is one of the characters, despite him still being the surly bigoted guy, has had far more character development than Britta or Shirley. The episode where his mom died, Hawthorne Wipes, and his manipulation of the study group when he pretended to have a heart attack are three of the episodes that spring to mind of where/what they are able to do with Pierce. The revelation that he had been at Greendale for well over a decade and that this wasn't the first study group was one of the best moments of the character. He only SEEMS one dimensional.
    Historically, shows don't gain audience unless they're huge hits in syndication (HIMYM as an example).

Can't really compare TV viewing habits of the pre-2000's with the 2000's. Audiences were larger, and how folks got introduced to shows was a bit more organic and thus it was entirely possible for shows to grow (Seinfeld is the best example).

But no, Community isn't going to explode next season; but then neither is any NBC sitcom. They really are in the toilet, and aren't likely to get out anytime soon.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Word is breezing around that Community will get renewed for a 14 episode season.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Watching the comedy awards on comedy central just reminded me of how different some of our tastes are from the average person. You see Poehler, Fey, Community cast, Louie, the Happy Endings people, etc. and you realize much like the average person knows Dane Cook more than they know Louis C.K., they will also always know Two and a Half Men more than they know shows like Community. NBC's thursday night lineup is pretty great, but great doesn't always get ratings unfortunately.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    How abbreviated are talking here? To me 13 episodes is abbreviated for a half hour comedy, I was hoping for at least 18-20 more episodes.

At this point, give all the comedies a final sendoff season of 20ish episodes, and focus all your effort on figuring out what to do with the Office timeslot. Mercy kill it finally, reboot it, but don't think you can pin all your hopes on the new Matthew Perry comedy. Hell, at this point kickstarter a community 4th season or something, everything else is.

Just trying to be Captain Positive here, but maybe there's a silver lining.

The theme episodes are great, but they're starting to get a little too common. With only X episodes the writers may buckle down and tell a leaner story arc with more normal eps per season instead of getting spoiled on chocolate cake theme episodes.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    One of the only good jokes in last weeks SNL was during the Mother's Day commercial where all the moms are reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" while rubbing one out. One of them props up a picture of Joel McHale on the running washing machine.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Well he is more handsome than the guy who's famous for being handsome.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Honestly, NBC needs to do something new. They are just getting rolled out there. Maybe they need to start making all their shows have 13 episode seasons? Dramas and story based shows absolutely EXCEL in the shorter season ( no filler, or at least a lot less).

One would assume that comedy wouldnt work well there. But I counter with Sunny and Archer. 13 episodes of absolute gold each season (sunny in particular). I think 20+ episodes is too much for even sitcoms, they all tend to suffer a bit. Where as Sunny literally hits on almost every episode.

The downside to this is the fact Community tends to push stories along, and without any faith for future episodes, it wont work. I have a feeling they are going to just go out with a bang for those 13 episodes, rather then plan to crawl along on half season extensions.

616610-1.png
    I have no confidence that the community writing staff can make a shorter season work. I'm predicting 13 parody episodes.

Which is a shame, because I really like the cast and the show for the most part.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    13 episode season. I'm ok with that. Thank you British comedy and your 6 episode seasons.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited May 2012
    We should all keep in mind that Community isn't renewed yet and definitely not officially renewed for a shorted season. As of right now, only 30 Rock is renewed with a short season.

Everything else is speculation.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Domhnall wrote: »
    13 episode season. I'm ok with that. Thank you British comedy and your 6 episode seasons.

Cougarton Abbey, you have trained us well.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    I wonder how much Chevy being cast had to do with the show getting picked up.

Wasn't Chevy Chase only cast, because the NBC network head at the time "suggested" him for the role (and "suggestions" from network heads are commandments from God).

I'm pretty sure their explantion was that Chevy showed interest, and why would you turn down Chevy?

(That may have been the politic free version)

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Huh. I am nearly positive that Chevy and I would disagree on what would make community funnier, but he was at least classy towards his castmates in that interview, and I agree with him as far as the show not really knowing what to do with him.

B:L wrote: »

Oh good, they're getting rid of three of the best shows they have for a bunch of stuff that'll barely last a season.

Lh96QHG.png
    Actual TV reporters are actively mocking that column. So... yeah.