As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mogs wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Mogs wrote: »
    On the subject of food, how do you guys eat to support your lifting? Do lifting days and rest days differ?

I make sure I get enough carbs on lifting days. Besides that, I cram a lot of protein and fats down my throat. Was pissed about my power cleans yesterday, so I bought a half gallon of whole milk drink before bed. Today for breakfast I had 4 eggs, scrambled, a 3 egg omelette with cheese and some veggies, two pieces of toast with both sides buttered, and a couple glasses of milk. Lunch was some curried chicken, a hamburger, and a couple grilled cheese sandwiches.

I just try and eat a lot.

Jesus christ, yeah I don't eat like that. From what I understand given my weight, as long as I eat 2000-2500 calories a day I'm eating at a deficit and not enough to sustain my weight. I cram protein down my throat however, but stick to the good stuff. Fish, chicken, turkey and of course eggs. I eat turkey burgers instead of hamburgers, I eat turkey bologna and franks instead of regular. I've even started to eat cereal that has 9g of protein per serving. On top of this on my lift days I get a protein shake after every workout, 24g of protein right there in delicious chocolate-milk like form.

I guess my real question when it comes to diet is whether the consensus here is that you have to either bulk up, gaining muscle and fat, or cut by putting yourself into a calorie deficit, or are there folks here who are making big strength gains while staying lean?

It does seem hard to strike a balance. My goal is to loose a little extra fat while still focusing on muscle growth and cardiovascular endurance, so right now I'm eating right and healthy, but not enough to bulk up in any form.

After I tone up some more, then I'm perfectly willing to go down the bulk up route.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    I have a difficult time getting motivate to work my legs/lower body.

Ugh...

Pretend girls care about your leg size, like you pretend they care about your arms.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Damn finals keeping me from lifting. Plus after this week I no longer have access to the university gym, requiring me to look for a gym membership somewhere else.

For the love of God, I can't understand why the YMCA charges 60 bucks a month. Is this the bumfuck nowhere tax?

my sis said the same thing when she was looking for a gym

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    For me, the bad thing about building up muscle mass is that the doctor who gives me my physicals is the type of doctor to look at the BMI chart, nod his head sagely and say "You know, based on this chart you're technically obese. I would consider dieting and exercise."

That got a good laugh from my friends for a while. "You know Doctor Arch, you shouldn't have that sandwich because you're technically obese."

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Slider wrote: »
    I have a difficult time getting motivate to work my legs/lower body.

Ugh...

Pretend girls care about your leg size, like you pretend they care about your arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8A4CoKiAsc

For me, the bad thing about building up muscle mass is that the doctor who gives me my physicals is the type of doctor to look at the BMI chart, nod his head sagely and say "You know, based on this chart you're technically obese. I would consider dieting and exercise."

That got a good laugh from my friends for a while. "You know Doctor Arch, you shouldn't have that sandwich because you're technically obese."

I've got to imagine that most of us in here qualify as obese, I know I do.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

I've got to imagine that most of us in here qualify as obese, I know I do.

Me too! I was so thrilled when I finally hit "obese". Fuck the BMI scale

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    I'm currently very happy with the way that I eat (far more satisfying now than it was for the year when I was vegetarian, an embarrassing admission), and for the time being, it's producing good results. I imagine I'll reach a point where either my lifts stop increasing or I start seeing some adverse body composition changes, and I'll need to re-evaluate my diet. Hopefully the answer is just to eat more of what I've been eating, when the time comes.

According to the simple and stupid "use your height and weight to calculate your BMI" my number is 31.2. I have a 34 inch waist.

I have a BMI of 30.7, waist is 31". Thankfully doctors tend to recognize the limitations. Still ridiculous.

Today was a mixed day in the gym. Light day squats at 200#, then bench. I can't bench press. The lift just doesn't feel comfortable to me, and I'm weak as sin. Hit 155x5,3. Then dropped to 135 and did 8. Totally fed up with this whole lack of upper body strength thing. I think I'm going to increase my benching frequency and forgo my press for 3 or so weeks (Press 115x5, Bench 150x5). Bench three times a week. I don't know what part of my adaptation cycle is fucked up, but I really think increased frequency will do me good. Thoughts?

On the other hand, my deadlifts were the angriest set I've ever pulled. 335# came up reallll fast. Once I was finished I got sheepish, as I realized I was letting the iron plates down pretty hard...

Man I'm posting a ton in here today. Eh.

I was stuck on bench for the longest time and what I did to push through it was:

a. switching to dumbbell bench for about a month

b. more back work, dumbbell rows specifically

c. started regularly overhead pressing (dunno if that helped but it all happened at the same time so I'm giving it some credit)

d. stopped fucking around and started a real, regular program.

I'm benching more now than I ever have and am still progressing.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    but really i need some kind of help with a routine

poo
  • GorkGork Registered User regular

I would offer you help with a routine but you seem to have one you already really like.

It involves bitching in this thread.

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    Nogs are you lifting now? If so, what does your program look like?

Also the cut part of strong and cut is going to start in the kitchen, have you looked over your diet to see if it's ok?

I am currently not lifting. I do kickboxing a few times a week, depending on if we spar or not.

My diet needs improving, but Ive got help with that in the form of my girlfriend. Shes a Spin instructor and is a health nut, so ive recruited her to help me with that.

I just need a no bullshit, do these exact things in this order, this many times, type of lifting program.

5-3-1's what I'm running now and it sounds like it could work for what you want. It's centered around the four major lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press) and there are a couple of variations on what accessory lifts you do depending on what your goals and time are like. I've been doing it for about 5 months now and I've seen really nice gains.

You can get it here directly from Jim Wendler's website. If you do end up using it I've got a spreadsheet that'll auto-calculate the numbers for you that I could send you.

that auto calc spreadsheet sounds awesome. id definitely like to take a look at it if you dont mind

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    Gork wrote: »

I would offer you help with a routine but you seem to have one you already really like.

It involves bitching in this thread.
    well i do not care i will bitch all i want

bitch bitch bitch

you're a dick

poo
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shazkar, what is actually wrong with your knees?

I know you say it's your PT's job to fix the problems, but I'd say you have a role in helping to unfuck yourself as much as (more than, even) he does.

okay, yeah, that's true

okay, i'm sure you know the general backstory due to my past posts, but its the 2 year old mcl sprain, and then when i was walking around in japan i had sharp pain in my knee and was forced to limp around
    went to see a doctor and PT, the pain is now gone and i can walk, but basically all measurements of my left leg are smaller than my right leg, because i'd been favoring my right leg for the last 2 years. (also still feel general tiredness near the mcl still).

and the other problem with squatting is actually my right knee, which was totally fine up until last summer, when (i think probably because of squatting with the imbalanced legs?) i had this crunchy pain under my kneecap, the pain has gone away, but there is still much crepitus/clicking and that knee doesn't feel great when i squat down

i know i used to have good low bar squat form back before in 2009, people in the gym who knew better than i did told me so, but i haven't been able to get back into it with my legs

deadlifts never bothered my knees though

so i am open to suggestions above and beyond what my PT is telling me, because you're right

Yeah honestly I can't really help with regards to your knees (and what you can do to fix an injury or imbalance). I know you've gone to a few doctors / had a few PT's look at it, but I guess it comes down to whether they actually know how to treat it. I wouldn't put much stock in your average PT to fix any sort of injury unless they have some specific sports / science experience and qualifications.

I would still encourage you to learn as much as you can about your anatomy and injury. A quick cursory search on exrx.net for "MCL" yields some discussion about the knee and the nature of the injury. If your MCL sprain is not really the problem, there are related links about knee pain under the kneecap.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    Also I can't remember, did you have any issues with pressing? I think I remember you mentioning something about issues with your OHP/Bench.

I actually acquired mike robertson's bulletproof knees book, and have been reading through that, which has been helpful, going to try implementing some of that. I'm just trying to figure out what else I should be doing, as my only knowledge was starting strength, which is what I was doing long ago, but I know 0 about programming otherwise, so have just kind of been making stuff up based on that, but without squats I'm clearly not doing that program... and there is probably something better I could do.

poo
    Heh, my current BMI is 25.5. Yes! I qualify as overweight!

Also I can't remember, did you have any issues with pressing? I think I remember you mentioning something about issues with your OHP/Bench.

Not injury related issues, just trying to figure out the form. I can press and bench, but my form on the bench needs work (and now it's been 8 weeks, so I'll be working my way back up).

poo
    edited May 2012
    Shaz why don't you just get a super jacked upper body while you try to figure out what's up with your knee? Something like a press each day (flat bench, incline bench, DB bench, overhead barbell, overhead dumbbell) and a row (DB, T bar, barbell), and some chins or dips and some curls or tricep isolation stuff? Go to the gym two or three times a week and get super ripped and pick a lady up with each arm. As much as this is heresy it's not going to kill you to lay off your legs until you get yourself healed.

Peen on
    Shaz why don't you just get a super jacked upper body while you try to figure out what's up with your knee? Something like a press each day (flat bench, incline bench, DB bench, overhead barbell, overhead dumbbell) and a row (DB, T bar, barbell), and some chins or dips and some curls or tricep isolation stuff? As much as this is heresy it's not going to kill you to lay off your legs until you get yourself healed.

That's my plan, I just need help putting together some kind of a program for that. Sorry for all my vagueness and previous bitching. I am sure you were all sick of reading it, and I apologize.

But I'm not sure how to program an upper body routine..

I will be going to the gym 3 days a week.

poo
    edited May 2012
    Just try sticking to an SS-style strength-based format for your Bench, Rows, OHP and throw in some chins, dips, curls, DB presses etc as accessories, along with some shoulder/ upper-back mobility and prehab work to try keep things in check with the additional pressing volume. Face pulls, band pull-aparts, and basically anything in this article will help keep your shoulders healthy.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited May 2012
    Also try to test the waters a little bit with your knees. Do bodyweight squats cause discomfort? Maybe there is some tightness in the hips you can work on by stretching and mobilising? Maybe some posterior chain work is still OK (RDLs, good mornings) if it doesn't involve much knee flexion? But I really can't comment further on that as I don't know the particular nature of your issues.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    23.9 BMI here, but im 5 foot 11.

I need help - doing SS, my bench is going nowhere fast. Reassessed my form, but still stuck at exactly where i started, 70 kg.

Just started trying to do dips as assistance, anything else?

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    apparently I'm borderline obese according to BMI

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    32.5 BMI

I win!

God we are such a bunch of fatties.

To be fair

I actually am fat.

Most everyone is just a big man (or woman I guess).

Just try sticking to an SS-style strength-based format for your Bench, Rows, OHP and throw in some chins, dips, curls, DB presses etc as accessories, along with some shoulder/ upper-back mobility and prehab work to try keep things in check with the additional pressing volume. Face pulls, band pull-aparts, and basically anything in this article will help keep your shoulders healthy.
    thanks. yeah, i've been doing face pulls, and been doing one of those shoulder warmup routines someone here (maybe you?) posted. okay, i'll still to a similar rep range scheme and do those kinds of things, and add in some accessory work.

to start, tomorrow i will do bench, barbell row, ... incline DB bench? dips? probably those, and some mobility stuff.
    Also try to test the waters a little bit with your knees. Do bodyweight squats cause discomfort? Maybe there is some tightness in the hips you can work on by stretching and mobilising? Maybe some posterior chain work is still OK (RDLs, good mornings) if it doesn't involve much knee flexion? But I really can't comment further on that as I don't know the particular nature of your issues.

bw squats arent bad, though my right knee feels a bit off and clicks loudly. i can definitely work on some hip mobilization and stretching, i mean, PT said stretching is important and would help.

gonna get back into the mobility wod work.

poo
    Praetor wrote: »
    23.9 BMI here, but im 5 foot 11.

I need help - doing SS, my bench is going nowhere fast. Reassessed my form, but still stuck at exactly where i started, 70 kg.

Just started trying to do dips as assistance, anything else?

Hey, this guy too! Except it's not where I started. I will let you know how benching 3x/week works out for me. Might drop to 145# and microload 2.5/day. No need to get greedy.

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Bigman thread, I need your advice. I've recently moved and joined a gym that does not have a squat rack. They do, however, have several smith machines. I've read on the web that squatting on smith machines is rubbish (it is) compared to proper squats (which I love) -- but I also heard it can be dangerous. At this point I'm only squatting about 275 pounds. Am I putting myself at risk here on the smith machines?

Joining another gym isn't really an option at this point for financial and geographic reasons.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Had this linked to me. Some broscience busted American Pure whey. Kinda cool.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/tcpmt/american_pure_whey_is_american_pure_shit/

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Bigman thread, I need your advice. I've recently moved and joined a gym that does not have a squat rack. They do, however, have several smith machines. I've read on the web that squatting on smith machines is rubbish (it is) compared to proper squats (which I love) -- but I also heard it can be dangerous. At this point I'm only squatting about 275 pounds. Am I putting myself at risk here on the smith machines?

Joining another gym isn't really an option at this point for financial and geographic reasons.

Don't squat with a smith machine. You'd be better off doing heavy goblet dumbell squats or something, you don't want to use any machine that's going to guide things along a path like that.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

To be fair

I actually am fat.

Most everyone is just a big man (or woman I guess).

My BMI is...

I think I beat you all, heh. Anyway! I'm realizing something... is the only real difference between a Shoulder Press and an Overhead Press that you have a wider grip for the OHP? This is seated versions for both of course. If not I may have been doing OHPs this entire time ._.;

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    They're the same lift I believe. Shoulder press is a bit of a silly name for it, we don't call the squat the leg squat.

Oh.

Well then. That's good.

Methuselah wrote: »
    They're the same lift I believe. Shoulder press is a bit of a silly name for it, we don't call the squat the leg squat.

Well, we do call other lifts presses though.

Actually isn't the Squat as I'm doing it called the Back Squat?

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Don't squat with a smith machine. You'd be better off doing heavy goblet dumbell squats or something, you don't want to use any machine that's going to guide things along a path like that.

Yeah, you're right. But I don't know if I can give up squats completely. Even if they're shitty Smith Machine squats.

ThePantsAssociation on
This discussion has been closed.