As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starhawk it's like Firefly with more Macross. Game's out today!

• MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Weapon mods is awesome, except for one nagging detail. While you have 12 homing lasers loaded you still have no way of firing more than 8 at one time. Double tapping missiles into an enemy base on a strafe is pretty fun though.

Sliver there is the stealth perk that over rides the radar perk but getting ten knife kills in a match is kinda difficult so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    So, this is coming out next week and I'm a bit late to the party.. Is there going to be a PA group for this?

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
    So yea, Starhawk tomorrow.. I'm really surprised that PA has seemingly no interest in this. I'll be posting impressions and try and drum up some demand.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm tepidly interested. I always want to like flight games, but they never end up clicking me. I haven't been seriously in to a flight style game since Wing Commander. If this ends up being pretty good, my interest will grow.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm tepidly interested. I always want to like flight games, but they never end up clicking me. I haven't been seriously in to a flight style game since Wing Commander. If this ends up being pretty good, my interest will grow.

I'm going in super cold, a rare thing these days in my gaming habits. I'd place it more in the Battlefield category though, but with a whole new base building mechanic (think tower defense + third person shooter + vehicle combat). I never tried the Beta, but the reactions were very positive - enough to get me to preorder a game from Gamestop, which again I NEVER do.. Where I agree with your tepidness, is a game like this lives and dies on the back of the community playing it. Even though it does have a full SP campaign, I really see that as a glorified tutorial for the MP component (I could be wickedly wrong about that though, something that I will post on for sure).

edited May 2012
    Sorry have not been paying attention lately. There's really not that much interest in the forum for this game but there will be a strong online community if Warhawk was any indication. Now for a quick title change and some updates.

Also I loved the beta and anyone who didn't either had a hard time learning the game or hates fun.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    It launches today! Woot! I havn't seen a lot of press around this game at all! So crazy considering how much fun I had in Beta. Looking forward to gearing up the ol' clan again Malechai?

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I still haven't found a game/group to get me into MP gaming on my PS3, but I just heard about this game last night when I was setting the new games at my store. I looked up some video of it and I must say I'm intrigued. I threw it onto my gamefly, I will have to try it out after I finish Enslaved. If any, what game(s) does it play like?

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    sPider817 wrote: »
    I still haven't found a game/group to get me into MP gaming on my PS3, but I just heard about this game last night when I was setting the new games at my store. I looked up some video of it and I must say I'm intrigued. I threw it onto my gamefly, I will have to try it out after I finish Enslaved. If any, what game(s) does it play like?

It's really a whole new experience, but it does have many familiar mechanics. I'd say it plays a lot like the old Battlezone games, only Multiplayer - kind of a mash-up of Battlezone and Tribes with 3rd person shooting.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Wait, this came out and no-one told me? Damn, now I need to find some time to play it. Is it still as brutal on beginners (and people who don't progress from being beginners, eg ME) as Warhawk was?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    IDDQD wrote: »

It's really a whole new experience, but it does have many familiar mechanics. I'd say it plays a lot like the old Battlezone games, only Multiplayer - kind of a mash-up of Battlezone and Tribes with 3rd person shooting.

Wireframe Battlezone or Action RTS Cold War on the Moon Battlezone?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Huh. I thought this was coming out August/September-ish.

Are we going to have a PA clan? The old one was Hawks are Weird.

Definatly going to a clan. Though I will not be too active the first week got some personal shit to take care of.

sig5ez4.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Huh. I thought this was coming out August/September-ish.

Are we going to have a PA clan? The old one was Hawks are Weird.

I'm certainly playing, feel free to add my psn tag to your friend's list!

Some awesome bonuses in the Limited Edition, including the full PS1 version of Warhawk. I think the Limited Ed. is Gamestop exclusive, and while promoted as a pre-order bonus - I'm pretty positive that all of the first printings are Limited Eds.

Shall we brainstorm some Clan names?

IDDQD on
    edited May 2012
    Cantido wrote: »

Oh fuck me, its a shooter strategy game, complete with vehicles. I just planted my first Extractor. I'm Sold.

Gamertag for PSN is LtPaperstacks.

This is fantastic. But I'm worried that morons will complain "herpderp t00 much strategy"

Cantido on

Oh fuck me, its a shooter strategy game, complete with vehicles. I just planted my first Extractor. I'm Sold.

Gamertag for PSN is LtPaperstacks.

This is fantastic. But I'm worried that morons will complain "herpderp t00 much strategy"

They can just stick to blitz load outs. Which are terrible for pilots btw. Serriously start of game have all the beam turrets.

sig5ez4.jpg
    edited May 2012
    The game is more Battlezone than Brutal Legend in the sense you have full base building control. The campaign reminds me of Trenched, the way buildings and turrets just fall out of the sky.

But most important is the sense of scale. On the ground you are tiny and weak, but not powerless (okay in BZ you were pretty fucking powerless). But the point is you can build and ride around in massive fucking vehicles with the right resources.

Starhawk blows them both away by adding planes to the mix :D

Also, online, there is no commanding and no mooks. Just you and your online teammates. Everybody has their own set of resources and therefore has an equal part in base building.

Cantido on
  • OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    I'm so very close to impulse-purchasing this on my way home from work.

Any further impressions anyone can share?

edited May 2012
    Ormuss wrote: »
    I'm so very close to impulse-purchasing this on my way home from work.

Any further impressions anyone can share?

Online play, to my dissapointment, has WAY too many TDM rooms. This game is all about the Zones mode. I'm surprised there's no equivalent to a mode where you have to kill the other guy's base ala Natural Selection. Instead, Zones is as close as it gets. Its basically BF Conquest.

Cantido on
    Single player is pretty good so far. It's essentially third person tower defense most of the time but still amusing.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Can we use 'wang(s)' in the clan name, or is that not allowed?

Think during the beta it was something like riftwang.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Thread title is missing an apostrophe and it bothers me.

edited May 2012
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Thread title is missing an apostrophe and it bothers me.

Fixed.

Also PM me your psn id if you want to be added to OP player list.

Holy crap. New skill in the full version makes unmanned turrets ignore you. Know what skill I am going for next.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Malechai wrote: »
    Single player is pretty good so far. It's essentially third person tower defense most of the time but still amusing.

If you wanted to play Trenched, that's what the single player is, complete with the "units appearing here you have thirty seconds to build shit" symbol.

So this game is all about building a base and working together with your teamates to build vehicles and Hawks to protect your structures while destroying the opposing team. Then why the fuck are the so many deathmatch games online? Capture the Flag and Zones are where it's at. People have been playing too much CoD.

By 1030 EST last night, there was only one Zones room, and it was a designated "feed XP" room. I hope this trend doesn't continue.

Cantido on
  • CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Are others seeing a majority of TDM? Thought CTF was some of the most fun I've had of that game mode in a long time. Getting and returning the flag was incredibly tough if teams were good but that's where the entertainment originates.

I'll be watching this thread for a bit. Want to purchase this but being a month away from my wedding date has been tying up free time and has priorities rearranged.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    This game is awesome.

edited May 2012
    Cincitucky wrote: »
    Are others seeing a majority of TDM? Thought CTF was some of the most fun I've had of that game mode in a long time. Getting and returning the flag was incredibly tough if teams were good but that's where the entertainment originates.

I'll be watching this thread for a bit. Want to purchase this but being a month away from my wedding date has been tying up free time and has priorities rearranged.

I'm sure we'll see more team objective (CTF and Zones) when Europe gets this. Because they have that European education system.

In Europe, they teach kids that they shouldn't buy a 3rd Person Shooter mixed with RTSing just so they can play Call of Duty modes. Yeah.

Cantido on
    edited May 2012
    Ok I just purchased the limited edition.

Add me up

PSN : Sliver911

Lets clan up and do this thang

sliver911 on
  • CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Cincitucky wrote: »

I'm sure we'll see more team objective (CTF and Zones) when Europe gets this. Because they have that European education system.

In Europe, they teach kids that they shouldn't buy a 3rd Person Shooter mixed with RTSing just so they can play Call of Duty modes. Yeah.

What I got out of that was 1) our students in the States are mostly incapable of making well-thought decisions and are incompentent enough to not understand how stimulating making strategic plans can be and 2) our education system in the States sucks a big one. :mrgreen: Most of which I would agree...

Lurking this thread is not helping me. Got that feeling I'll end up stopping by the local store to purchase this when I need to wait...

Cincitucky on
    Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
    Wow the single player is really short. Managed to get a game of zones in last night cool thing about it is that you can take all zones on the map even the starting base of the other team. When that happens a timer starts and if the team with no zones fails to capture one then its game over. So no more camping spawns at the level 1 base prolonging the suffering of one team, kinda nice.

sig5ez4.jpg
    My thoughts so far..

Mayhem.. Lots of people just blowing shit up no matter what the objectives are. I can't blame them! I prefer CTF for a more slow paced tactical game myself. Zones is just crazy for me!

Sniper Rifle - I want to love this thing, I really do. However, the controls are bloody sticky and allows for almost no accuracy at all. The controls seem clunky all around come to think about it.

Thats my only real gripe at the moment. This game is no fun without a clan. Have we made one yet? I'm going to add you guys right now actually.

Malechai wrote: »
    Wow the single player is really short. Managed to get a game of zones in last night cool thing about it is that you can take all zones on the map even the starting base of the other team. When that happens a timer starts and if the team with no zones fails to capture one then its game over. So no more camping spawns at the level 1 base prolonging the suffering of one team, kinda nice.

I figured it would be short. Those cutscenes are ripped straight out of Mirror's Edge. This game is all about the MP. I'm seriously considering a mic for this.

• VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    Hi there folks, as you can see from my picture I am not often around here.

I am spreading the good word on the SA forums about this game as best I can. It is one of the best multiplayer experiences I have had, but most of the reviewers don't seem to "Get it". It's a real shame.

I think this game will go over a lot of players heads, but with just a LITTLE patience they can find a niche in this game. People think complicated multiplayer games are exclusive to new players, but I find that is far from true. Simple multiplayer games punish people who do not excel at running and headshots. Complex multiplayer games (like Starhawk) have dizzying amounts of options and strategies and skills to be used--however, this gives players a chance to find a niche they are most happy with and get good at it, while other players are free to try different niches.

Also, this game is FAST. You can literally spawn, pop out of your container, run up to an air platform and grab a mech/starship hybrid and be 20,000 feet in the air within five seconds--with only minimal control input.

The game has awesome balance. For every strategy there is a way through it, and a way to combat that, and a way to get around that. You can build a shield over your base (which cost a lot of resources) that will block things from shooting into it--but if a footsoldier with a rocket launcher manages to get through a couple times without getting caught he can possibly take it out. Then, if his team is smart, you will soon have tanks rolling in and mortar shelling the shit out of all your structures.

One time, I had just barely managed to grab on to a base that was heavily contested. While capping it, a guy came running at me with a knife while I was in the middle of building a bunker. Well, rather than waste time trying to run and shoot...I just air-dropped the building on his head for a badass kill.

You can also build walls and gates, which are great for keeping out the riff-raff. However the easiest to obtain (but weakest) vehicle, the hoverbike, has the ability to jump over walls if they time it right. If you are fast and ballsy, you can get a quick flag cap at the beginning of a round. If the enemy is using all their resources to build walls and save up for a tank builder, you can dive past their walls and snatch the flag before they blink. However, often they are going to do the same to you...

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Hrnnngggggg I need to probably buy a phone soon but this game is tempting me hard.

To $60 or not to $60...

(Somehow I already know the answer this thread will deliver)

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    Ok possible clan names:

Hawks are weird
    Rifting wang
    Deep crows

Any other suggestions are welcome lets get this started.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    Well, I am already in a clan, but I would vote for Deep Crows.

Also, when making a clan, you have to have already played the game to be able to receive an invite.

MORE TIPS AND TRICKS THAT I AM ENTHUSIASTICALLY SHARING:

If anyone is having trouble playing the game, I recommend playing at least MOST of the singleplayer. Also, this game allows you to "Explore" the multiplayer maps all on your lonesome. This is handy, as it lets you see where all the extra weapons are (4/8 ground trooper weapons are scattered around on all the maps, but never disappear after getting picked up, so if you set a base up near them you get a cool new gun/repair tool!).

You can also set up a multiplayer team room where you can just hang out and chat with your buddies while waiting to start a game. This also lets you build strategies together, and play with the buildings and vehicles and weapons to get good with them.

Also, if anyone wants to fly, I recommend practicing with advanced flight controls--that is the only way to really get ahead. It requires both analog sticks, but if you get good you can easily dodge most missiles without needing to use chaff.

Remember--the tank has regular shells and mortar shells, just hit right or left on the D-Pad.

Also, if you are in a tank or jeep and wish to change your seat, hold down the x button and you can move around inside the vehicle instantly with the flick of the analog stick. Very handy if you are driving the jeep and quickly need to use the mounted gun.

The beam cannons look strong, and they are, but ONLY against vehicles. They are fairly ineffective against troops.

You can go inside the placeable turrets and beam cannons just like a vehicle. When manned, they provide protection and extra firepower in comparison to when they are AI controlled.

The Hawks are versatile and damaging (with the right weapon pickups), but are fragile. They can get torn up, but landing in the right spot of an enemy base and stomping can create instant havoc.

The hoverbike is fast, but the hawk is faster EVEN WITH THE BRAKE ON. If you need to get somewhere quick, don't be afraid to use a hawk as a throwaway teleport device--it literally gets you across the map almost instantly. However, if you are trying to get somewhere inconspicuously, grab the hoverbike.

The jetpack is fun and flexible to use--but it can be locked on to by rocket launchers and hawks. A good strategy to take out bunkers is to use a jetpack and go through the TOP of the bunker firing a rocket launcher. Perfect for a hiding flag carrier.

That is all the tips I have for new players. So far.

I totally agree with playing the SP first - it really acclimates players well to the vehicles, weapons (knowing what the weapon icons are for Hawk pilots even), and the structures. Speaking of Single Player, the voice cast specifically. I know I hear Mr. Steven Blum (Sheriff), but I SWEAR I hear Nathan Fillion as a role. I checked the IMDB, and the Starhawk page is nigh empty so its hard to confirm.. It would be so bloody perfect to have him involved since a huge inspiration to the setting is Firefly.

Well found a great way to take out a beam turret quickly in a hawk. Pick ups needed: Cloak and bombs. Fire up the cloak and boost into the enemy base towards your turret of choice. Land switch to bombs and light it up.

sig5ez4.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Okay, have been messing around with the Hawk control schemes. Pro-tip: go with Advanced and never look back.

The more I play this game, the controls feel better and better - especially the flight controls. The thing is, I usually do not adopt the pointer and middle fingers on the controller at once grip - but it's really essential in this.

IDDQD on