As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a triple turtle [chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    To put it into hyperbolic perspective,

this would be like celebrating the failure of an anti-slavery bill by giving away black people.

Or by forcing black people to eat wedding cake.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    That doesn't seem any more douchey than serving wedding cake for passing gay marriage would be.

Either way it's serving celebration wedding dessert for setting marriage right.

Not exactly sensitive to tge other side, but this seems like a bit of an over reaction.

nooo

its like, haha you cant have this

Exactly. If they passed equal marriage rights and then decided to serve cake, it'd be like "Sweet... Cake!"
    The douchebags are keeping the cake to themselves and bragging about how awesome and heteronormative it tastes..

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    That doesn't seem any more douchey than serving wedding cake for passing gay marriage would be.

Not exactly sensitive to tge other side, but this seems like a bit of an over reaction.

So a celebration of bigotry isn't douchey?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    This chat is making me crave cake.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

I just had brownies.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I had a really dry muffin this morning.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

nooo

Is everyone actually this myopic?

It's a group of people that feel Tgey have done good service in defense of marriage. Celebrating with marriage dessert is perfectly sensible in that situation.

It's insensitive, but certainly no more insensitive than banning same sex marriage in the first place.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    YPcSg.gif

this cheered me up after seeing the NC thing. Not like a lot but enough to make me go "aww"

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Drez wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

I just had brownies.

I had wedding cake yesterday. It is the end of the cake.

My mother in law has the top layer. We had to call her to make sure she MEGA WRAPPED THAT BITCH in a clingwrap/aluminum foil parfait. If that shit isnt tight next year, I will be sad.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    myopic?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

nooo

It's a group of people that feel Tgey have done good service in defense of marriage. Celebrating with marriage dessert is perfectly sensible in that situation.

It's insensitive, but certainly no more insensitive than banning same sex marriage in the first place.

Too bad that's not what you said.

Also, the point is it is more douchey because they're in the moral wrong here.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Lucid wrote: »

No, I'm saying that serving wedding cake isn't the douchey part.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    @Drez we should get a wedding cake to celebrate NYS not being a bunch of fucksticks. That'll show those NC people.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, what does Amendment one mean? They can never ever ever have gay marriage now? IIRC, didn't they already not have gay marriage there? Is this, like, double no gay marriages now?

21stCentury on
  • Options

nooo

There's passing a bill.

And there's rubbing the other side's face in it through imagery and symbolism.

The latter is more insensitive. By a lot.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    There's a pretty cool looking kickstarter called Starlight: Inception, and it's about $15,000 shy - only has an hour or so left.

I wish I could help fund it, but money is too tight :/

I want you to know that I like you.

But my wallet is plotting your demise.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    \O-O/

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

There is context behind the cake. The cake does not exist in a vacuum.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I hate referendums more than the holocaust.

Things like this are great examples of why democracy sucks and we should leave everything to the dictators.

On the other hand, Chris Christie vetoing the gay marriage bill even though only a third of the state is actually opposed to gay marriage is a pretty good example of why democracy is awesome and we should leave more things to the people.

Really I just kind of wish we had a benevolent dictator that would lead America into enlightenment.
    No, referendums are the stupidest fucking idea. The fact that they very rarely actually arrive at a correct conclusion against the prevailing votes of the legislature/governor is not a good reason to keep them around.

Yeah, no shit. Having a benevolent dictator around would be a stupid fucking idea, too. I had assumed you'd be able to see at least a trifle of sarcasm there.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    So, what does Amendment one mean? They can never ever ever have gay marriage now? IIRC, didn't they already not have gay marriage there? Is this, like, double no gay marriages now?

It removes all the rights and protections to civil unions thanks to its super vagueries. It also defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman iirc.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

It's a celebration of the the previous douchey act, making it an additional douchey act.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    There's a pretty cool looking kickstarter called Starlight: Inception, and it's about $15,000 shy - only has an hour or so left.

I wish I could help fund it, but money is too tight :/

I want you to know that I like you.

But my wallet is plotting your demise.

I helped, but sadly I don't think that it's going to make it.

• Options
    edited May 2012

And we're saying you're wrong.

And we're correct.

Drez on
  • Options
    Or rather that what you're saying is dumb. Passing the bill is douchey. Celebrating with wedding cake is much more douchey.

And if you keep blathering on like this I'm going to put a big, fat piece of wedding cake in your mouth.

• Options
    The cake is the icing on the cake.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    The only justifiable attitude to take to banning gay marriage would be, 'We respect you as people but feel this is necessary'.

That would be wrong, but much more acceptable.

Having a spiteful wedding cake celebration afterwards makes it clear they just hate gay people and are being childish and hateful about it.

Which is worse, partly because it's childish and dumb, partly because it makes it clear that it does come from bigotry, not religious principles.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options

nooo

There's passing a bill.

Wait... making fun of women's suffrage would be more insensitive than repealing it?

I'm sorry guys, actively curtailing another's rights is vastly more insensitive than symbolic dessert eating.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options

nooo

There's passing a bill.

Wait... making fun of women's suffrage would be more insensitive than repealing it?

I'm sorry guys, actively curtailing another's rights is vastly more insensitive than symbolic dessert eating.

That isn't what you said earlier, at all.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Or rather that what you're saying is dumb. Passing the bill is douchey. Celebrating with wedding cake is much more douchey.

And if you keep blathering on like this I'm going to put a big, fat piece of wedding cake in your mouth.

i'll disagree. Preventing a minority from having equal rights is way, way douchier than eating cake in celebration of preventing a minority from having equal rights.

• Options
    But the cake is douche on top of the douche act thus a double douche.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    You know this whole North Carolina thing and the rage it's inspiring

has basically ended my desire to gain closure with some people in my life who happened to be homophobes and shit

fuck those people.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The triple douche is the fact that we're all using the word 'douche' so much.

See what you've done, bigots.

Lucid on
  • Options

i'll disagree. Preventing a minority from having equal rights is way, way douchier than eating cake in celebration of preventing a minority from having equal rights.

I think that what Drez means to say is that the act of celebrating with wedding cake makes the already super douchey act more douchey than it already was.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Don Draper's a pretty cool guy.

• Options

nooo

There's passing a bill.

I'm sorry guy, but I think you need to run this topic through a few more mental exercises.

The cake is a symbol of their attitude, the attitude that led to the reprehensible thing they just did. Is the cake, itself, evil? No. But the attitude it symbolizes is. The attitude is worse than the act of banning same-sex marriage.

• Options

Me too.

But people were responding to ME's initial post, which didn't say that in the slightest, but instead says that it's the same as if gay rights supporters won and had a celebration with wedding cake.

It's hard to restrain from being snarky when the two posts are saying entirely different things.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

nooo

There's passing a bill.

That isn't what you said earlier, at all.

No, my first post was not as clear as it could have been.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options

Except they are doing both. The context of the cake thing is that they just banned same-sex marriage. It's not like I'm saying the cake itself is the most reprehensible thing in the world. But in context, yes, it is.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I read the description of snack foods on the back of the bag

I always feel cheated if there isn't a unique description of the flavour

• Options
    We can all agree that banning gay marriage and then eating cake is more douchey than banning gay marriage and then not eating cake.

From this we can discern that the really douchey thing is eating cake.

Fucking cake eaters.

This discussion has been closed.