As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I do understand the disappointment at this not offering co-op, though. I mean, it's set up to be a team game. Local co-op would just be incredible.
    LAN would be alright. Maybe. Splitscreen would be terrible. Like, think about the amount of HUD in the game. Then think about twice that amount of HUD.

Stuff of nightmares.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    I do understand the disappointment at this not offering co-op, though. I mean, it's set up to be a team game. Local co-op would just be incredible.
    LAN would be alright. Maybe. Splitscreen would be terrible. Like, think about the amount of HUD in the game. Then think about twice that amount of HUD.

Stuff of nightmares.

It works well enough in Borderlands and Dungeon Defenders, which both have a lot of HUD-usage going on. I'd put up with clutter to be able to facestab griffons with my girlfriend.

• TACOnightmareTACOnightmare Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Stuff of nightmares.

It works well enough in Borderlands and Dungeon Defenders, which both have a lot of HUD-usage going on. I'd put up with clutter to be able to facestab griffons with my girlfriend.

While they may have been able to shoehorn co-op in and make it acceptable, I believe that Capcom didn't want to invest even more money into the game to make the co-op good.

TACOnightmare on
    I found a woman running around the wild yelling, "wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack." Naturally, I killed her and defiled her corpse.

PSN: SmellyLemur

Stuff of nightmares.

While they may have been able to shoehorn co-op in and make it acceptable, I believe that Capcom didn't want to invest even more money into the game to make the co-op good.

That's fair. And to be clear, I'm in no way saying the game is going to be incomplete or that it isn't already a must buy for me without multiplayer. It's just going to be one of those Things That Could Have Been.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Stuff of nightmares.

That's fair. And to be clear, I'm in no way saying the game is going to be incomplete or that it isn't already a must buy for me without multiplayer. It's just going to be one of those Things That Could Have Been.

Yeah, the game could have been pooped up the wazoo for those who like single player games by throwing in coop. Oh what's that you say? You want recent examples? ORC, Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2 will do I feel. Evidentally putting resources from developing coop into making the AI actually function correctly seems to have paid off from what I've played of Dragons Dogma. I can honestly say I barely notice my pawns in terms of doing stupid shit (unlike LP2 or RE5) - they tend to just quietly function without really worrying me much as I focus on stabbing things. So I can't be happier they focused on making a good single player game instead of throwing in coop, which to me seems to tell capcom to just entirely ignore the AI or have a barely passable one. After all complaints about the moronic AI in RE5/LP2 was met with walls of "Well, clearly you're not meant to play RE5 or Lost Planet 2 by yourself" comments to entirely valid criticism, so I'm just going to say about the lack of coop "Deal with it".

So I'm perfectly happy they didn't put in coop and focused on the right area of the game: Making the single player actually work with the pawn AI. Of course this is still my main concern about the full game, but not a lot of reviewers have made any issue with the AI causing problems in the full version. So it looks like a very good investment of developers time.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Imma quote myself on the co-op issue here
    Everybody harps on about co-op. It seems like a good idea at first and if the game was structured like Monster Hunter it would've been very enjoyable, but honestly the open-world nature of the game would've made it a hassle most of the time.

There wouldn't be anyway to stop some guy who just wants to dick around by jumping on rooftops, while another guy wants to do this quest and the other guy wants to do that other quest ect. It would be quite a pain in the ass to deal with, I imagine.

Fighting bosses in an arena would be fun to do co-op though.

Of course there's the argument "You can just play with friends", but they won't always be there for you, and is isn't even remotely in the realm of possibility to some people at all (like me :()

And seeing as the game already struggles when only one person is playing the game, it is very probable that this game would be a chugging, unplayable mess if 1, let alone 3 more players entered the fray.

I haven't had any problems FPS wise on the 360. Actually I find it remarkable how much shit goes on without any slowdown on the 360. Or at least slowdown that I've noticed.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    The fps is pretty bad on the PS3, and from what I heard the 360 version has lots of screen tearing.

Well, I only saw a bit of screen tearing on the 360 but the FPS was rock solid the entire time I played. The only time I got screen tearing was when I was falling from the sky on the griffin, so I'm willing to accept that. But it wasn't hugely noticable at all.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    The fps is pretty bad on the PS3, and from what I heard the 360 version has lots of screen tearing.

There was some screen tearing in the character creator and at the beginning of the griffin quest as the camera panned around the landscape, but during gameplay I saw none.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Everybody harps on about co-op. It seems like a good idea at first and if the game was structured like Monster Hunter it would've been very enjoyable, but honestly the open-world nature of the game would've made it a hassle most of the time.

There wouldn't be anyway to stop some guy who just wants to dick around by jumping on rooftops, while another guy wants to do this quest and the other guy wants to do that other quest ect. It would be quite a pain in the ass to deal with, I imagine.

Again, though, Borderlands is pretty open and it has worked fine (as have all MMOs, but they're structured a bit differently). Then again, I am that guy who is fortunate enough to have friends with similar interests to play co-op with, so I've rarely been burdened with playing alongside asshole strangers.

But this is all being drawn out into more of a discussion than I had intended, so I'm cool with dropping it.

I may have missed this earlier, but can you only design your main sidekick? Can you customize your entire party's looks, or do they just come as-is?

Again, though, Borderlands is pretty open and it has worked fine (as have all MMOs, but they're structured a bit differently).

Borderlands also doesn't require you to cooperate at all, unlike Dragon's Dogma where the companions are integral to the game. I can heal myself, regenerate shields and fight bosses very comfortably without having the other players there. Going off and dicking around in Borderlands is thus very simple to actually do, while Dragon's Dogma has much higher requirements for teamplay (hence why you can have up to three pawns with you fighting alongside).

Again, they put the work into making the AI not shit and I commend them for that. It was a good choice.
    I may have missed this earlier, but can you only design your main sidekick? Can you customize your entire party's looks, or do they just come as-is?

Only your main pawn and then you hire others from the rift that other people have made (or presets).

edited May 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »

Only your main pawn and then you hire others from the rift that other people have made (or presets).
    You can't equip them or change their skills, either, and they don't level. When they stop being useful, you release them, then hire new ones from the rift. The only people you have permanently are your character and your main pawn, both of whom you manage completely. If you want to keep using a particular pawn of another player's, you'll have to rehire them after that player has leveled them some more. The preset ones that Capcom have stuck in the game presumably never level at all.

edit: Maybe just watch the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsVmmXQqWA

Monger on
    It's also worth noting that you can hire friends pawns - regardless of level - for free.

edited May 2012
    It's also worth noting that you can hire friends pawns - regardless of level - for free.
    Wait, now hold up just a tick.

I want you to take a look at this here cane of mine. You see that on the end? That is a marquise-cut amethyst the size of my most valued employee's left titty. See, I can afford such luxuriousness as a direct result of my prodigious stature in this, the most carnal of trades. And I ain't had to go upside no heads with it because nobody been fool enough to try and take advantage of my amicable nature. I don't give no samples. You want a taste, you best show me some monies.

Monger on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wait, now hold up just a tick.

I want you to take a look at this here cane of mine. You see that on the end? That is a marquise-cut amethyst the size of my most valued employee's left titty. See, I can afford such luxuriousness as a direct result of my prodigious stature in this, the most carnal of trades. And I ain't had to go upside no heads with it because nobody been fool enough to try and take advantage of my amicable nature. I don't give no samples. You want a taste, you best show me some monies.

:lol: A grand display indeed, fine sir.

yalborap on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Mmmmmmmm, samples.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I played around with the demo last night. It creeps me out how I decided to make put so much thought, time and effort into making a tough chick that is insanely sexy. And then I tried playing the Prologue part and I found myself getting annoyed at everyone talking and telling me to follow them, to move along, etc. It got confusing trying to attack enemies with everyone else in the way. I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to play it I guess. I can see that it has promise, that's for sure. I'll give it another go tonight maybe. It's Tiger Woods 2K9 night at my friend's house, though, so...

Fawst on
    Fawst wrote: »
    And then I tried playing the Prologue part and I found myself getting annoyed at everyone talking and telling me to follow them, to move along, etc. It got confusing trying to attack enemies with everyone else in the way.

The prologue was chaotic to me as well, so i just threw the first npc off a cliff and ran straight past the pawn summon stone. Makes it a hell of a lot harder too.

I found a woman running around the wild yelling, "wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack." Naturally, I killed her and defiled her corpse.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    And then I tried playing the Prologue part and I found myself getting annoyed at everyone talking and telling me to follow them, to move along, etc. It got confusing trying to attack enemies with everyone else in the way.

The prologue was chaotic to me as well, so i just threw the first npc off a cliff and ran straight past the pawn summon stone. Makes it a hell of a lot harder too.

Yeah, the prologue is pretty terrible. The outdoor Griffin battle is really where the game shows you what it can do. It is much better and easier to understand than the prologue was.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Prologue's fine, you just gotta turn off Pawn subtitles. I mean, yeah the Griffin fight is bananas, but the Chimera is pretty boss too. Drawing aggro off your mages by banging on your shield is pretty badass.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/05/09/the_ur-dragon_-_combine_your_strength

Woo they are doing a clash mob just like in infinity blade 2.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sounds fun. Though the first week of the game I'll probably be too busy dicking around to take part.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    The demo did an excellent job on selling me on this game. I'M READY, GUYS. LET'S KILL SOME STUFF.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    First instict is to try and stab it in the red glowy spot in its chest.... but that's probably my heart.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    First instict is to try and stab it in the red glowy spot in its chest.... but that's probably my heart.

Yeah, as soon as the guy in the video ran beneath it, I was expecting him to stab upwards - but no such luck.

I haven't been this excited for a new game since.. shoot, I don't even know. Maybe MGS4?

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    vsove wrote: »

Yeah, as soon as the guy in the video ran beneath it, I was expecting him to stab upwards - but no such luck.

I haven't been this excited for a new game since.. shoot, I don't even know. Maybe MGS4?

I know that feel. From announce to where we are now with this game, I've gone from mild interest to hyper pressurized epic levels of excitement to the point where my tear ducts are leaking rainbows.

I feel bad/guilty because I'm picking up Max Payne 3 next week, but then this game comes out... and its like, no question that Max will get pushed aside in favor of DD.

My backlog is crying. They know their neglect will only get worse.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I wonder if number of hits alters your loot because I will go in there with arrow storm and daggers and I will cause tens of damage to that bastard.

From behind a nice rock.

I really hope this doesn't require a gold account though. I'd feel odd buying ot just for this game.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I feel bad/guilty because I'm picking up Max Payne 3 next week, but then this game comes out... and its like, no question that Max will get pushed aside in favor of DD.
    Diablo 3, Max Payne 3, and Dragons Dogma within a week of each other. :cry:

I lucked out on Diablo. I don't have a PC :D
    :(

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I wonder if number of hits alters your loot because I will go in there with arrow storm and daggers and I will cause tens of damage to that bastard.

From behind a nice rock.

I really hope this doesn't require a gold account though. I'd feel odd buying ot just for this game.

It's been confirmed that this does not require gold.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I had absolutely zero hype and zero excitement for this game until last night, when I tried the demo on a whim based on one user in the Steam chat and overall boredom. Sign me up. I want more.

I had absolutely zero hype and zero excitement for this game until last night, when I tried the demo on a whim based on one user in the Steam chat and overall boredom. Sign me up. I want more.

The demo helped a lot (the griffon fight, specifically - the other part was fun but nothing particularly amazing), and I have an open-world RPG itch that Skyrim just hasn't been able to scratch. Part of it is, I think, because the 'boss' fights are so blah in that game. Seeing the ur-dragon above makes me really, really want to play the game and fight a giant freaking dragon.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    Yeah, Skyrim's ok. But in this game, you can be thrown onto the dragon's head and stab it in the eye.

That'll get you some bonus points. In my book anyway.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    And you can throw pigs at people.

And run on rooftops.

And make your own minions.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

The demo helped a lot (the griffon fight, specifically - the other part was fun but nothing particularly amazing), and I have an open-world RPG itch that Skyrim just hasn't been able to scratch. Part of it is, I think, because the 'boss' fights are so blah in that game. Seeing the ur-dragon above makes me really, really want to play the game and fight a giant freaking dragon.

Yeah. I think the thing that attracted me to Dragon's Dogma is that it is open world but with an emphasis on combat.

While I enjoy Skyrim too, I see it as more of a jack-of-all-trades deal where like no one part of the game is all that great, but it combines a lot of small things to make a better whole.

But the allure of fighting a dragon and having it actually be fun sounds pretty awesome.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »

From behind a nice rock.

It's been confirmed that this does not require gold.

Oh good. Microsoft is usually really dumb about this. I mean why do I need gold for Netflix? I figured they'd forced it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I'm really surprised, and honestly kind of suspicious, about the online pawn features not requiring a gold subscription. Like Riptor says, Microsoft isn't known for their leniency in the 360's online services.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    This is the only source I can find about not requiring gold, but it's not the site I first read it on. Can't remember where I saw it before. Guess it could be fake.

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/1490-dragons-dogma-downloadable-content-coming-first-to-xbox-360

This discussion has been closed.