As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    So I won Payday: The Heist and am downloading it now. Thanks for running the giveaway!

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Everyone should buy Alan Wake. There is no excuse. That game is amazing.

DO IT.

This. The game runs beautifully, looks downright gorgeous on any setting (seriously, this is what the game looks like on all low) except for the occasionally really low res texture or low poly model. Atmosphere is top notch, the way the darkness absorbs the forest in a swirl of furious wind and unearthly howls and creaks has stuck with me long after I finished the game on 360 as one of my favorite effects in video gaming. The game captures the small town by the mountain feel incredibly well, blending together a mix of Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks.

Combat isn't the highest point of the game, some enemies feel like bullet sponges and I know some people didn't like the whole flashlight deal plus gunfire. But the reactionary combat is something I really enjoy. Watching alan stumble and tumble around while trying to dodge demonic rednecks from taking his head off with gardening tools and attack them back gives the combat a very hefty and satisfying feel.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare is a shorter adventure, and concentrates less on more open areas and beautiful forest setpieces and more on the combat and engagements. It even has a special Horde-like mode which really lets the improved combat shine. You're really doing yourself a huge disservice not picking up these games. Don't let the haters fool you, this is Cat approved to the fullest extent. Remedy supported the PC version incredibly well after launch, patching errors and adding new settings and improving the experience. They even added a freecam in for people who use 360 controllers, you can enable it and push in a stick to detatch the camera and visit anywhere in the world and it will stream everything in.
    Disclaimer: My name is CheesecakeRecipe, and I am a horror writer. I am biased into loving what Alan Wake has to offer but that does not stop it from being an experience worth your time.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Odd, Alan Wake didn't run very well for me but maybe you have a nicer PC? Of course, I'm kind of hyper sensitive to low-ish framerates (anything below 60 looks off to me - 30 FPS looks noticeably choppier).

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Was really disappointed by Alan Wake on the 360. The gameplay was so repetitive and predictable which is a killer flaw for a horror game. Story was better but still not great. Ended up finishing it but that was more out of stubbornness to see if it got any better rather than any desire to actually play it after the first few hours. PC version sounds like a great port though and if I hadn't been so bored by the main game, I'd want to pick it up for the PC improvements & included DLC chapters.

It's a shame because the game could have been so good. Cut the game's length in half to reduce filler, use that time and money you saved from creating less environments to add a bit of variety & unpredictability to the enemy encounters, and polish up the writing a tad and it would have been a rather good game.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

DO IT.

This. The game runs beautifully, looks downright gorgeous on any setting (seriously, this is what the game looks like on all low) except for the occasionally really low res texture or low poly model. Atmosphere is top notch, the way the darkness absorbs the forest in a swirl of furious wind and unearthly howls and creaks has stuck with me long after I finished the game on 360 as one of my favorite effects in video gaming. The game captures the small town by the mountain feel incredibly well, blending together a mix of Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks.

Combat isn't the highest point of the game, some enemies feel like bullet sponges and I know some people didn't like the whole flashlight deal plus gunfire. But the reactionary combat is something I really enjoy. Watching alan stumble and tumble around while trying to dodge demonic rednecks from taking his head off with gardening tools and attack them back gives the combat a very hefty and satisfying feel.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare is a shorter adventure, and concentrates less on more open areas and beautiful forest setpieces and more on the combat and engagements. It even has a special Horde-like mode which really lets the improved combat shine. You're really doing yourself a huge disservice not picking up these games. Don't let the haters fool you, this is Cat approved to the fullest extent. Remedy supported the PC version incredibly well after launch, patching errors and adding new settings and improving the experience. They even added a freecam in for people who use 360 controllers, you can enable it and push in a stick to detatch the camera and visit anywhere in the world and it will stream everything in.
    Disclaimer: My name is CheesecakeRecipe, and I am a horror writer. I am biased into loving what Alan Wake has to offer but that does not stop it from being an experience worth your time.

Damnit. I already beat the game on 360. I shouldn't want it again on PC. At least not yet.

Steam: offday
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Odd, Alan Wake didn't run very well for me but maybe you have a nicer PC? Of course, I'm kind of hyper sensitive to low-ish framerates (anything below 60 looks off to me - 30 FPS looks noticeably choppier).

I was running it on an aging 8800GTX and an intel core 2 quad at the time that screenshot was taken. I hit 60 on the very rare occasion and was usually around 30-40. 460 GTX made it run much better and let me kick the settings up, but I think it is very much a CPU pressed game.
    Was really disappointed by Alan Wake on the 360. The gameplay was so repetitive and predictable which is a killer flaw for a horror game. Story was better but still not great. Ended up finishing it but that was more out of stubbornness to see if it got any better rather than any desire to actually play it after the first few hours. PC version sounds like a great port though and if I hadn't been so bored by the main game, I'd want to pick it up for the PC improvements & included DLC chapters.

It's a shame because the game could have been so good. Cut the game's length in half to reduce filler, use that time and money you saved from creating less environments to add a bit of variety & unpredictability to the enemy encounters, and polish up the writing a tad and it would have been a rather good game.

Fair criticisms, a lot of the horror for me really kicked in on my second play through on the hardest difficulty mode. Made every battle incredibly tense even if I knew one was going to be around the corner. I felt the balance of ammo and battery drop offs often stacked things too well in your favor which hurt the pacing of some sections. DLC wise, I felt that The Signal wasn't really worth it and highlighted some of the weaknesses of Alan Wake, whereas The Writer gave me more of what I was looking for (and some amazingly surreal setpieces).

• TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular

DO IT.

Summer sale is my excuse, for now.

steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

DO IT.
    I have an excuse! No money.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I hated Alan Wake with a passion, Deadly Premonition spoiled me on that kinda game.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

I was running it on an aging 8800GTX and an intel core 2 quad at the time that screenshot was taken. I hit 60 on the very rare occasion and was usually around 30-40. 460 GTX made it run much better and let me kick the settings up, but I think it is very much a CPU pressed game.

Fair criticisms, a lot of the horror for me really kicked in on my second play through on the hardest difficulty mode. Made every battle incredibly tense even if I knew one was going to be around the corner. I felt the balance of ammo and battery drop offs often stacked things too well in your favor which hurt the pacing of some sections. DLC wise, I felt that The Signal wasn't really worth it and highlighted some of the weaknesses of Alan Wake, whereas The Writer gave me more of what I was looking for (and some amazingly surreal setpieces).

Cutting a game as short as Alan Wake down even further would've been a pretty bad idea. I beat it in something like 6 hours without even rushing anything; even then, I felt ripped off over how short the game was. The replay value is also basically nil (locking away the hidden items on the locked highest difficulty mode so people have to play the game twice? Really?), so that's not great either when you plonk down 60 bucks for the game. And for people looking at getting the game, keep in mind that the style of story requires a certain perspective to really enjoy it. There was certainly quality in the game, but the stuff that are staples of that genre of fiction just come across to me as plot holes or bad writing more often than not.

A huge shame that the game didn't get to be what it was originally intended, though.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I never even considered it a horror game or thought it was meant to be one. I always thought of it as more of a thriller. It was never a scary game to me and when it comes to scary games I'm a pretty big baby.

• oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    100 minutes left on the Starlight Inception kickstarter, and they're still 13k short. If one of you classy crabs feel like supporting it, here's the link.

$15 gets you the game on Steam.

steam_sig.png
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    So a store local to me is going to sell Diablo III for $49.97 for the week of release. I know those games don't really drop in price much - is this a good deal, or do you think if I wait I'll be able to pick it up cheaper in an online sale? Not much funds but soooo wanting the game. *sigh*

I did a trip through the internet trying to find a site selling codes for cheap and the best I could find was around $54, and most of those were European versions, which doesn't matter for playing but I think locks your RMAH to that region.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    100 minutes left on the Starlight Inception kickstarter, and they're still 13k short. If one of you classy crabs feel like supporting it, here's the link.

That really sucks. I don't have any money to donate :(

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular

I love me some space sims... gonna donate. Hope it gets funded!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Can some one explain the difference between the DLC options on the two $30 pledges?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular

Can some one explain the difference between the DLC options on the two $30 pledges?
    NOTE: We apologize for the confusion, but we are folding all launch DLC (two fighters and one mission) into the product, and not offering launch DLC.. We've also created a new $30 tier that includes all future DLC since Kickstarter doesn't allow us to change descriptions once we have backers. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

8.5k left... this one will be a real close call.

steam_sig.png
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    So a store local to me is going to sell Diablo III for $49.97 for the week of release. I know those games don't really drop in price much - is this a good deal, or do you think if I wait I'll be able to pick it up cheaper in an online sale? Not much funds but soooo wanting the game. *sigh*

I think it'll be Christmas at the earliest before it gets any cheaper than that, and it'd probably only hit $40. I'd say go for it.

Oooooor, get Torchlight 2 instead!

W-Whenever it gets released though... Oh fuck it, I've had zero interest in Diablo, but if the reviews are universally great, and the RMT thing hasn't destroyed the game, i'll probably buy it too...

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    World War 4...in space....I uh....I don't think I can donate to that one just on principal.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »

I think it'll be Christmas at the earliest before it gets any cheaper than that, and it'd probably only hit $40. I'd say go for it.

Until maybe last year, the battlechest was 40$ for diablo 2. It was that price for 8 years. occasionally it went on sale for 20-30. Only recently is it a steady 20, for a 12 year old game and expansion. occasionally new blizzard games get sales for 35$, but you are just cheating yourself, go buy and enjoy, itill be worth the money.

steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

NOTE: We apologize for the confusion, but we are folding all launch DLC (two fighters and one mission) into the product, and not offering launch DLC.. We've also created a new $30 tier that includes all future DLC since Kickstarter doesn't allow us to change descriptions once we have backers. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

8.5k left... this one will be a real close call.

so close. Pledged what I can, I don't even know what the game is.

I love valve

Db7E2l.jpg

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    So consensus is...I'm buying Diablo III lol. You're enablers, all of you :P

fss_overall.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Did anyone else buy Warlock? I'm very confused.
    Also getting my ass kicked.

Rizzi wrote: »
    Did anyone else buy Warlock? I'm very confused.
    Also getting my ass kicked.

I played the demo. Seemed straight-forward enough. What's up?

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    So consensus is...I'm buying Diablo III lol. You're enablers, all of you :P

Don't feel bad, a lot of us are going to be in the same boat.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
    Why would someone on my friends list have (1) next to their name? I've never seen that before.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Why would someone on my friends list have (1) next to their name? I've never seen that before.

They are your bestest friend.

Forever.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Someone else in your friendslist had the same name either currently, or had the same just a very short time ago, and steam hasn't fixed it yet.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    Someone else in your friendslist had the same name either currently, or had the same just a very short time ago, and steam hasn't fixed it yet.

Huh. Never knew that.

edited May 2012
    On the subject of strange things, I noticed a new ... sub-icon on my steam profile page. Some people have this little white dude on the bottom-right of their avatars.

Tamin on
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    If you mean people that have commented you it just means they are on your friend list.

Corpekata wrote: »
    If you mean people that have commented you it just means they are on your friend list.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure.

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Woot, looks like Starlight Inception is a go - just scraped over the funding goal by about 8K.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is a deal that only really benefits Brits/EU but figure might be worth posting anyway

http://www.pcworlddownloads.co.uk/product/lp29689/warlock-master-of-the-arcane/

Use promo code pcgamer20 to bring Warlock: Master of the Arcane down to 11.99 pounds. Which is roughly 20 bucks, which Americans are paying. Steamworks. Beats getting hosed on the regional pricing.

Corpekata on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    So, if I've got this right... I either buy Alan Wake for $15 on Steam and have to put up with GFWL

or I buy it on GOG for $15 and don't have the game in my Steambank

Sophie's choice right there

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So, if I've got this right... I either buy Alan Wake for $15 on Steam and have to put up with GFWL

Add non-steam game.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited May 2012

Add non-steam game.

Yeah, this is how I play all of my gog games.

It's still not quite the same though. Sometimes the overlay doesn't work or it acts funny.

anoffday on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Bought four steam games today: Beyond Good & Evil, Puzzle Agent, Wizorb and Phantasy Star IV (even though I already have that on the PSP)

I serve the Newell.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular

Alan Wake doesn't use GFWL.

Are you the magic man?
This discussion has been closed.