As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I just experienced my first problem with GFWL. Signing in means I can't watch Netflix while playing on the PC.. :(

That needs to be changed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Frei wrote: »
    So, if I've got this right... I either buy Alan Wake for $15 on Steam and have to put up with GFWL

or I buy it on GOG for $15 and don't have the game in my Steambank

Sophie's choice right there

Alan Wake doesn't use GFWL.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I just experienced my first problem with GFWL. Signing in means I can't watch Netflix while playing on the PC.. :(

I thought they fixed this.....

I remember when they explained this was a feature: "But, but what are you going to do, when someone sends you a message and you are logged in, in 2-3 different places? huh? HUH?"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012

I remember when they explained this was a feature: "But, but what are you going to do, when someone sends you a message and you are logged in, in 2-3 different places? huh? HUH?"

Well, once the game started I signed back into my 360 and watched Netflix and it seemed to do alright with the game continuing and awarding achievements.

edit: Checked my profile page and didn't see the achievements though. Huh, will have to play with this. This was Microsoft Flight, btw.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

OT: steam mobile is neat, just needs group chat. And maybe ipad mode

steam_sig.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

And it needs to let you install stuff remotely. You can do it from a web browser now, surely the steam app is next.

and WP7 app.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular

and WP7 app.

+1. WP is the future.

camo_sig2.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Maybe 2-3% of it snyway

steam_sig.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Thanks to classy crab @Satanic Jesus for gifting me Phantasy Star IV!

Funny thing, I've never played a non-online Phantasy Star game before. Do I need to start with 1 or are they stand alone games like final fantasy?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

Funny thing, I've never played a non-online Phantasy Star game before. Do I need to start with 1 or are they stand alone games like final fantasy?
    They are definitely standalone games like Final Fantasy. You'll be fine.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Awesome, gonna try it out asap.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Standalone except for all being set in the same place (Except 3) with an actual continuous plot, just seperated by roughly 1000 years at a time.

While I guess you won't 'miss' anything important, you will miss out on a lot of cool things, cameos, throwbacks, that sort of stuff.

So it isn't exactly like Final Fantasy. it's more like... ..I dunno, my mind just went blank. Welp.

steam_sig.png
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    100 minutes left on the Starlight Inception kickstarter, and they're still 13k short. If one of you classy crabs feel like supporting it, here's the link.

$15 gets you the game on Steam.

How did I not know about this before it expired? Bugger.
    It got funded though, so there's that.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Standalone except for all being set in the same place (Except 3) with an actual continuous plot, just seperated by roughly 1000 years at a time.

While I guess you won't 'miss' anything important, you will miss out on a lot of cool things, cameos, throwbacks, that sort of stuff.

So it isn't exactly like Final Fantasy. it's more like... ..I dunno, my mind just went blank. Welp.

Final Fantasy games often feature "cool things, cameos, throwbacks, that sort of stuff" from previous games as well, so the comparison is pretty apt. Final Fantasy IX, for example, is chock-full of references to just about every other game in the series, but you certainly don't need to have played the previous games in order to enjoy the main story and characters of IX.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »

Final Fantasy games often feature "cool things, cameos, throwbacks, that sort of stuff" from previous games as well, so the comparison is pretty apt. Final Fantasy IX, for example, is chock-full of references to just about every other game in the series, but you certainly don't need to have played the previous games in order to enjoy the main story and characters of IX.

There are no recurring characters in mainstream Final Fantasy (There are monsters, of which Gilgamesh is considered one.)

You do not revisit past places.

They do not happen in the same solar system, on the same planets, against the same enemy.

You literally meet descendants of past characters, find some of their gear, fight some of the same things they did, revisit past locations and even in one instance fight someone who should have been dead a couple thousand years back.

Phantasy Star is a trilogy, after all. It is not like Final Fantasy at all. Its actually one continuous story.

steam_sig.png
  • TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Woot, looks like Starlight Inception is a go - just scraped over the funding goal by about 8K.

Finally decided to jump in on this at the last hour. High hopes on the results next year!

steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TreadLife wrote: »
    Woot, looks like Starlight Inception is a go - just scraped over the funding goal by about 8K.

Finally decided to jump in on this at the last hour. High hopes on the results next year!

Man, for awhile there I figured I could try to get a pooping simulator funded and I'd get it. Everything was making it's mark. I'm surprised it almost didn't make it.

And why aren't more people interested in the new Carmageddon they're trying to get funded. It's Carmageddon people!

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Man, for awhile there I figured I could try to get a pooping simulator funded and I'd get it. Everything was making it's mark. I'm surprised it almost didn't make it.

And why aren't more people interested in the new Carmageddon they're trying to get funded. It's Carmageddon people!

you have no idea how much the lack of interest saddens me. :(

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »

you have no idea how much the lack of interest saddens me. :(

At least it's only here I suppose. It's already 1/4 of the way to being funded with nearly a month to go, so it's not like we won't get it.

Oh well. We'll be the excited PA guys.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    So, if I've got this right... I either buy Alan Wake for $15 on Steam and have to put up with GFWL

Add non-steam game.

Yeah, this is how I play all of my gog games.

It's still not quite the same though. Sometimes the overlay doesn't work or it acts funny.

If you're referring to DOSBox games: locate the .conf file for the game in question (e.g., C:\games\<game>\dosbox<game>.conf), make a copy (always.), then edit the original's "output=surface" to say "output=OpenGL".

Overlay will work more consistently, but it still isn't perfect.
    There are other things you can put in there, but I'm not sure if they're any better or worse.

Tamin wrote: »

Add non-steam game.

Yeah, this is how I play all of my gog games.

It's still not quite the same though. Sometimes the overlay doesn't work or it acts funny.

If you're referring to DOSBox games: locate the .conf file for the game in question (e.g., C:\games\<game>\dosbox<game>.conf), make a copy (always.), then edit the original's "output=surface" to say "output=OpenGL".

Overlay will work more consistently, but it still isn't perfect.
    There are other things you can put in there, but I'm not sure if they're any better or worse.

I know I was having trouble with NOX, which I'm pretty sure is DOSBox? I had to keep quitting the game to talk to people. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll have to remember that.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    sure

hope it helps

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Nox is a Windows game, so that wouldn't apply.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    welcome to the school of

hard NOX

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    World War 4...in space....I uh....I don't think I can donate to that one just on principal.

That was basically the premise behind Starlancer and it was awesome.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Kickstarter fatigue is what is keeping the pledges for Carmaggedon low. Doublefine struck gold, and now every game developer on the planet who just so happens to own the rights to a classic franchise is seeing dollar signs.
    welcome to the school of hard NOX

fozziebear.jpg

Huh, just noticed the guy making Starlight Inception is here in Austin. Definitely interested now.

Kickstarter fatigue is what is keeping the pledges for Carmaggedon low. Doublefine struck gold, and now every game developer on the planet who just so happens to own the rights to a classic franchise is seeing dollar signs.

fozziebear.jpg

Pledges aren't really low. They're actually doing really good. It launched like what? Yesterday? And they're 1/4 of the way to their goal with almost a month to go. We were talking about the lack of interest here.

This is the first I've heard of it. I played a crapload of Carmageddon and would love a new one.

Someone made a thread for it, but it's been bumped to the 3rd page or so where threads go to die.

fozziebear.jpg

Pledges aren't really low. They're actually doing really good. It launched like what? Yesterday? And they're 1/4 of the way to their goal with almost a month to go. We were talking about the lack of interest here.

it's important to remember that the rights to Carmageddon were only recovered by Stainless recently as the publisher went belly up and the rights were in limbo.

Big Isy wrote: »

fozziebear.jpg

it's important to remember that the rights to Carmageddon were only recovered by Stainless recently as the publisher went belly up and the rights were in limbo.

Interplay?

And SCi

So Interplay is gone? Again? Or they're just not doing so great?

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    @rikdaly woke me up with a copy of Alan Wake! Thanks so much!

I spent most of yesterday with it sitting in my cart because damn it looks good and people seem to really like it. Ended up passing to wait for summer sale, but I think it just got bumped up towards the front of my backog.

Thanks again, rik!

camo_sig2.png
    So Interplay is gone? Again? Or they're just not doing so great?

Apparently not, I thought they were dead. Wikipedia tells me that SCi retained the rights and they were in talks with (their owners) Eidos to make Carmageddon 4 but Eidos put a hold to that to concentrate on other games. Then Eidos and subsequently SCi were bought out by Square and the they owned the IP. Stainlesss must have either bought the license off them, or Square simply had no desire to make a carmageddon game so let it go (HA!).

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I was very tempted to get Alan Wake on sale but a friend of mine was down for some Portal 2 so i just bought the 2 pack and gifted a friend one. Cant wait to replay that game, had it originally when it came out on Xbox 360.

edited May 2012

Part 2 sounds like it'll be more interesting. I don't think people need to get mad at these guys for taking so long. I mean it's going to be a free mod. But at the same time a damn update would have been nice. Their site, twitter, all that has been silent for a long time. I mean how hard would it have been to type a sentence on their site or twitter saying, "Yes, we're still working on it."

edit: Also, I don't know if it's been posted or not, but wolfenstein 3D is free in your browser today. I still wish they'd give us a download instead, though. http://wolfenstein.bethsoft.com/game_NA.php

anoffday on
This discussion has been closed.