As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] SchlitzKrieg Curated Seattle Beer Tour - Got Photos?

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Microdistillaries, nanobreweries, are we getting beer or glasses full of carbon nanotubes?

By this defintion I run a Nanobrewery out of my basement! Awesome, everyone over to my house! Were it in Seattle, I'd totally offer it for the tour. Next time, when you're all in StL. (Sorry, had to go OT for just a sec).

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    tsrblke wrote: »
    [quote="tsrblke

@Squirrelonfire,

It's only gotten crazier we now have microdistillaries (at least one).
    In any case, perhaps for those of us that can't make it to this we should arrange some sort of "local beer trade" (believe it or not, I've successfully packed beer in my luggage on a plane. Bubblewrap is a must.)

@tsrbike

I went to Square One last time I was in St Louis - loved it (though I tend to stick with beer over spirits most of the time). Are there more microdistilleries as well?

If you want to do some beer trade, I'd be happy to swap growlers or six packs with you. Heck, when you come to town, I can direct you (or go with you) to an awesome local beer store (Bottleworks) which has a few hundred brews there, half a dozen taps, and you can take them to go or sit and enjoy in the store.

SquirrelOnFire on
  • SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular

The plan is to hit 4 breweries in Georgetown, then 4 in Kitsap, then 4 in Ballard. It's not just about beer: it's also about touring more of the area than just the city.

While very very drunk.

Well this is sounding better all the time.

@LexiconGrrl

Hey, I'd be interested to go, probably any day (I'm local to Seattle, and if I know enough in advance, I should be able to take any day off). If no one who is actually charismatic steps up to MC, I might be able to do it. I am relatively new to Seattle (Just been here a few years) but I am not afraid to embarrass myself in front of people.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Sweet! The more the merrier. Be sure to check out the map too, and let me know if there's any breweries or beer stores that could be added. Bottleworks is on there now, along with most of the other heavy hitting bottle stores.

Chuck's 85th St. Market is up in Greenwood - have you been yet? Chuck has taken a ghetto Kwik-E-Mart and turned it into an amazing beer store and local tasting room with an ice cream counter. Chuck is usually there and he LOVES beer; they've got a couple hundred varieties on site, with lots of representation from American microbrews. He'll make you a beer milkshake and talk your ear off about beer too.

If you get a chance to go, don't miss the mural on the West side of the building.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    I am totally interested. This will be my first PAX and I'm looking for this kind of stuff.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • schizm42schizm42 Registered User new member
    I am very interested to join for Monday.

Also, I know a brewer at Big Time in the U district - which is my favorite brewery in town. If you want, i could introduce you / we could add that to the list?

• EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    Just to clarify on my vote: Sake and I are in for whatever day this happens on. We will schedule our flights accordingly.

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
    edited May 2012
    @RandomAtom - what day(s) do you vote for?

@schizm42 - I can't BELIEVE I forgot about Big Time. They've been added to the map, thanks! They're kind of off the path and through cross-town traffic to be added to the bus tour, so it's unlikely we'd make a tour stop there though, sorry!

@EruditeAphrodite - thanks, noted and updated OP.

LexiconGrrl on
  • courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Microdistillaries, nanobreweries, are we getting beer or glasses full of carbon nanotubes?

By this defintion I run a Nanobrewery out of my basement! Awesome, everyone over to my house! Were it in Seattle, I'd totally offer it for the tour. Next time, when you're all in StL. (Sorry, had to go OT for just a sec).

PAX homebrew trade?

courtneyj wrote: »

PAX homebrew trade?

It sounds like a great idea! But sadly we're flying, and I haven't quite figured out how to pack Homebrew such that it doesn't explode! or otherwise have problems on the plane. (Packing regular old bottled beer is hard enough!) Especially given the way luggage is treated.
    I suppose since I'm flying SWA, I could put together a box and make that my second bag. Or just ship it. Or Bring small Keg (have to borrow/buy a keg though.)
    I have another 110 days more or less to solve this problem.

• EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    PAX homebrew trade?

Oh man, if only this was feasible. We just brought a really lovely raspberry oatmeal stout out of the cellar that I would love to share with people.

*Edit* Though now that I think about it, I could set up a PAX forum homebrew blog for people to post their recipes.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
    PAX homebrew trade?

Oh man, if only this was feasible. We just brought a really lovely raspberry oatmeal stout out of the cellar that I would love to share with people.

*Edit* Though now that I think about it, I could set up a PAX forum homebrew blog for people to post their recipes.

I was thinking we could have a PAX homebrew meetup, I'm just not sure how the trading would work. If it were small enough I wouldn't mind having it in my hotel room (I'm fairly certain I could convince my wife to go for this, if not I'll but Cybit to borrow his hotel room we're both in the Hyatt.) That would solve any "drinking outside" problems. I'll start a post tommorow (I'm currently actively playing a DnD game and can't think too much or I get distracted and the other players get angry!)

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oooh! Oooh! Monday, please!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    @cloudeagle updated OP, thanks!

edited May 2012
    I haven't quite figured out how to pack Homebrew such that it doesn't explode!

I've had 100% success flying with alcohol and beer packed in my checked luggage for years with the following approach. Some of this may be obvious (well, duh!) but is included nevertheless:

1. If it's a screw cap, screw the cap on really tightly before going to step 2.
    2. Generously secure all caps and tops of cans with duct tape. Depressurization wreaks havoc on carbonated contents.
    3. Pack the beer in a stiff box as if you're going to ship it. Use enough packing material to ensure the bottle doesn't move around in the box.
    4. Pack the box either in your checked luggage, or in another box. Also pack around the inner box so it doesn't move. Use clothes if doing the box-in-luggage method.
    5. Make sure the box isn't smack up against the luggage on any edge/side of the box (ie: ensure padding between inner and outer box on all planes).

Works like a charm!

(I even got growlers back to Seattle from the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage this way.)

Also, big rubbermaid totes work really well as cheap checked luggage: sturdy, flexible and reusable to bring home your PAX swag. Just make sure you run duct tape all the way around the tote to in a couple of places to secure the lid.

LexiconGrrl on
  • RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    @RandomAtom - what day(s) do you vote for?

Hard for me to give a time, but I get in on Thurs.

EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • Mister GloombyMister Gloomby Registered User regular
    I would love to attend! Monday or Wednesday would be great for me.

Added, thanks!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just noticed this:
    Also, much like the Pub Crawl, this is not a frat boy event

Someone's just begging for me to show up to this in my 2012 TWDT attire. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Just noticed this:
    Also, much like the Pub Crawl, this is not a frat boy event

Someone's just begging for me to show up to this in my 2012 TWDT attire. :D

You totally could. It might be a little warm to be in a robe all day though... I think we're getting an actual schoolbus for the tour bus, which won't have air conditioning. So you'd be a Schweaty Whizzard.

edited May 2012
    Robe?

Who said anything about a robe?

:twisted:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm crowd sourcing this delima. I really want to go on this, and it looks like it will be Monday. Our group's checkout is in a rental appartment where luggage holding may not be an option and check out is 11am that Monday. What to do with my bags till we get back?

edit: disregard, problem solved. Change my vote to Monday I guess.

redhalo on
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    wtf somehow I missed this. I'm totally interested for Tuesday the 28th!

redhalo wrote: »
    I'm crowd sourcing this delima. I really want to go on this, and it looks like it will be Monday. Our group's checkout is in a rental appartment where luggage holding may not be an option and check out is 11am that Monday. What to do with my bags till we get back?

edit: disregard, problem solved. Change my vote to Monday I guess.

I think we're going to get a Big Yellow Bus. There would be plenty of room for luggage storage onboard. If not, I'm local and we can totally work something out.

@nullzone, thanks and updated OP.

I think the Tuesday/Wednesday people should form a coalition around Wednesday to crush the Labor day vote.
    This is not at all motivated by self-interest because I might be able to make a Wednesday event for at least the last half :evil: (our Flight gets in at 10AM wednesday, and even though we'll be zonked from the 6AM CT, 4AM Seattle Time*, take off, beer motivates.)

*This means we'll likely get to the airport around 5AM CT (3AM Seattle Time!) perhaps a bit later if the flight is at 6:30 instead of 6 (I don't remember). Of course part of the reason fro the early fly in is so we could goof off and then go to bed early wednesday anyway. So it should be an easy-ish sell to the beer loving wife.

edited May 2012
    I do want to make every effort to make this work for as many people as possible, but yeah, it's really looking like it's going to be Monday.

I've been pricing smaller passenger vans to see if it would be financially realistic to do a second, smaller tour before PAX. Right now we've got more than 20 folks interested in Monday, and that's going to go over our requested cap. Some of those folks have multiple days that work for them, and conceivably could go earlier. Figure at least 25% attrition between now and then, balanced out by 25% new interest and we end up at about the same numbers.

I've got Brigade responsibilities the week before PAX and am not sure that I have the resources to plan two tours by myself. If anyone else wanted to jump in and help out with some of the research and planning, that would help a lot in determining if we could do two tours (it wouldn't be a problem for me to be physically present for both tours to coordinate).

LexiconGrrl on
  • TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    I could possibly help with the research and the planning of the Wednesday tour (if we want to do two tours), but not until after e3.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Mister GloombyMister Gloomby Registered User regular
    My girlfriend, who is also attending PAX, would love to come to so can i add a +1?

sure, done :)

Robe?

Huh! I didn't know they made Harry Potter themed Underoos.

Robe?

Huh! I didn't know they made Harry Potter themed Underoos.

Lawl.

All will become clear when I get back home in a month and the internet trembles at the sight of my new avatar.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • PythosPythos Registered User regular
    Monday with a +1 would be my vote. This sounds awesome.

PinnyPal Lanyard

azNQyjX.png

XBLA: Pythos07
    Added, thanks!

edited May 2012
    OK, since I'm leaving this week for a trip, and since I don't think we're going to see 10 people switch their votes by tomorrow, here's the scoop:

A tour is confirmed for Monday 9/3/12. For those of you coming from other countries, it's our Labor Day holiday which doesn't really mean more than that lots of us get Monday off work.

The second most popular day, by a narrow margin, is Wednesday. An additional Wednesday tour is a possibility but will not be considered until a backup coordinator steps up to be present on the bus and run the tour that day in case I can't make it. Please contact me if you're interested. It's a busy job but fun.

IMPORTANT THINGS
    At this point, Wednesday is not a confirmed tour.

A Wednesday tour would conflict with the Magical Mystery Tour. If you don't know what it is, click the link before throwing in for Wednesday.

LexiconGrrl on
    Dibs on one of the 20 Monday slots!

DibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibsDibs!

wWuzwvJ.png
    Also, since confirmations have started rolling in from the breweries/restaurants, the Stops spoiler in the OP has been updated with current information.

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Ditto for 2, ditto for 2, ditto for 2!!!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I will be there Monday! :) (take my name off the Wednesday list, please)
    This is going to be awesome!!!!!! Also, my vote for breakfast goes to Hudson.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I would like to confirm for Monday.

Was able to hammer shit out at work, so I'm staying till Tuesday morning, and I would love to get my drunk on.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.