As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ultimate Comics] Divided We Fall

• TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    Its so good to hear that the USM side of things is going well. Everything Reed's touched since he actually came back to earth has been... Terribly dissapointing, really.

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Really?

Ultimates has been pretty damn fantastic since it launched and Reed has been an incredibly effective villain

CYpGAPn.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Yeah Ultimates is the best title Marvel is putting out :)

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I wonder if Peter will find out about Reed's Ultimate-self during Spider-Men. Considering the major hassles the previous alt-Reeds he and the F4 ran across created though, I dunno if U-Reed's antics will even register with the 616-Reed.

Well, Reed's buildup as a villain was infact fantastic. His bio-bombs and in-and-out orders, the very specific targeting, it was all terribly clever, and it was basically written well.

And then he builds The City. And everything goes south. Its particularly frustrating because Ultimate, on the whole, has had a really good grip on the futurism concept, I mean, they got Iron Man so, utterly, RIGHT, most of the time, that seeing a legitimate super-science society failing, so utterly, is frustrating.

An emergent AI being that subservient? No way. Just no way. Theres a counterargument to be made that Reed set it up that way, possibly maintaining a death grip on the society as a whole, but then they throw in the "I had to fight to get smarter just to keep up" bit, showing he should merely be the first among equals, with a bit of cult of personality going.

Let alone responding as SLOW as it does? Why doesnt it have a thousand little laser sniper rifles springing up when those missiles are coming in? They make it VERY clear, again and again, that the heart of City tech is rapid speed nanotech construction. Other than that, tetraton grade shields, and good data warfare, I just plain dont see a thousand years of super-science tech speed. Sure, sure, time-warp location fucks with physics and keeps him from developing this or that direction... None of which is discussed at all, ever, and is purely fanwank.

They even pointedly emphasize the power of data warfare, and then fail to have him simply reach out and turn the airplanes and nuclear submarines off.

And knives, man. Torso exposing exosuits and knives. He MET Iron man a few times! Reed knows the value of body armor! They should all be using mile long railguns and metal gear scale armor, bare minimum. Theres absolutely no logic whatsoever for the Children's battle motif in the slightest.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ok, it seems nobody else feels like addressing you so I will but before we get into anything serious I just want to respond to a choice quote from you.
    An emergent AI being that subservient? No way. Just no way.

Really now? You know exactly how the subject of nothing but speculative fiction should behave? No.

Why didn't the City have a million rifles or whatever defending the city from the nukes?

It has been stated that The City is completely impregnable. They can't sense anything coming in or going out. In making the City completely unreadable it makes sense that Reed would not be able to "see" outside. That the shield goes both ways. You may be asking yourself why Reed would deny himself the power of a Data War of seeing what the enemy has coming. My question to you is why does he need it? America used every last nuke in the arsenal and the City absorbed most of it. What it didn't was barely a scratch. Reed has nothing to fear from the outside world.

Except America gaining its tech. If somehow scientists in America could use the information they gain from scanning the City to gain its technology Reed would really have a fight on his hands. Like this? America just through everything it had at him and it barely pissed him off.

Metal Gear style armor would be terrible in a realistic fight so I find it laughable that as your whole problem with The City seems to be that it's not realistic to you you have brought up those Mech as what they should do instead.

Reed fights almost exclusively far ranged. He's devoured all of Europe and it would appear his Sword have done very little of it. The City just absorbs things.

The times he's engaged with his men directly have all had reasons for it. Using his Flyers to cut Odin and the World tree off for example. Or the many times the enemy steps right into the city. Any true long range attack however is limited by his choice to be completely unreadable.

As for his Swords, they are designed to fight the one things that can harm him. Metahumans. Things that could still harm his men even with full armor. So he appears to have taken the other route. Make them fast and capable of powerful attacks.

Combine a goal of making the best possible weapon out of the human and very little interest in that individuals life and you get the Sword.

Also I just don't think this makes any sense at all
    They even pointedly emphasize the power of data warfare, and then fail to have him simply reach out and turn the airplanes and nuclear submarines off

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    He had full penetration of the entire US data network. He only uses it for one little show-offy bit, but he had FULL PENETRATION OF THE ENTIRE US DATA NETWORK. They shouldn't even have launched the nukes, to say any dozen other options available.

As to "not a scratch", it took "92% of the City's energy reserves" to hold it off. They even lost a fair bit of actual landscape and had a number of nurseries burn. It was not 'without a scratch'. If any other nuclear nation had chipped in a few dozen (or hundred) warheads, The City would have been entirely wiped out, cleanly.

I actually like your argument for the nature of his Swords, but I have a real problem with back mounted exo frames as a design, and was just pointing out a full scale mecha as a counterpoint concept. They do show that he lost Children because of this design - some of them did get killed in that last melee.

He also disproves the outward blindness concept shortly after the Children first emerge, by going on about how they very closely watch the skies and have full sensor sweeps up to quite a ways out. Which is a shame, it would have been a perfectly valid concept, to say nothing of The Children just not thinking of it due to being a shell locked society for so long. Them having bad sensor tech makes perfectly fine sense, I give you.

This is all part of why it frustrates me so badly - the authors made significant effort for Reed not to be a Marty Stu in all this. He's obviously wielding an ego the size of the sun, and thats given him a number of blindspots, to say nothing of the overall subservience of his so brilliant Children. That sort of crushingly powerful ego is why I have a problem with The City as an /emergent/ AI having been given free run. Its too powerful and too fast thinking in any sensible interpretation to be predictable, and strikes me as a powerful incongruity with the rest of the theme.

edited May 2012
    UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I'm digging the new Iceman look, even if he's a Protoss.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    you should link that

that image is over 1 MB and the limit is 500k

edited May 2012
    Huh I did not know that!, shrunk and down and re-hosted it though anyhow.

Also, I asked Wood on twitter if there was a reason for Johnny being omitted from the pic / omitted from the interview and he replied with "yes". Which of course could mean anything, but here's hoping to a new F4 ongoing :) .
    edit: nvm, he added that he is still in the book.

UltimateInferno on

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll miss Kitty's Shroud outfit.

H9f4bVe.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't get Iceman's outfit. I get they want to make him more distinctive and not identical to Iceman Classic, but it looks like he just hangs out in his underwear, shoes and hat. At least if he had a shirt on it would seem more natural.

Or just give him normal shorts, not bizarre low crotch, high sides underwear he has on.

Invisible on
    holy shit, Spider-Men page, Pichelli :)
    1336419204.jpg

See Marvel, that's what an event comic should look like. JRjr is a hell of a nice guy, but the AvX art is not doing the poorly written event any favors.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So what's the release schedule for Spider-Men? Monthly, bi-weekly? For a while there I thought weekly but that can't be right.

Kyougu wrote: »
    So what's the release schedule for Spider-Men? Monthly, bi-weekly? For a while there I thought weekly but that can't be right.
    Monthly, but two issues in June.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I don't see how you could say AvsX is "poorly written" unless you just mean the characterizations.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I don't see how you could say AvsX is "poorly written" unless you just mean the characterizations.

The characterizations are only the start of the problems with the writing on AvX, but since this isn't the bitching thread:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47-usKXJmU

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Huh I did not know that!, shrunk and down and re-hosted it though anyhow.

Also, I asked Wood on twitter if there was a reason for Johnny being omitted from the pic / omitted from the interview and he replied with "yes". Which of course could mean anything, but here's hoping to a new F4 ongoing :) .
    edit: nvm, he added that he is still in the book.

Wood's very good about replying on Twitter. When he was announced as the writer on Ultimate X-Men, I pointed out that the team was short any minorities. I also pointed out that he said he missed his Generation X cast, with Synch and Monet not making Ultimate debuts yet.

He said the lack of minorities was a good point.

I'm hoping for a Synch debut. *cross fingers*

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    holy shit, Spider-Men page, Pichelli :)
    1336419204.jpg

...damn.

There are some really great newer artists popping up lately in comics. Pichelli and Manapul are easily my two favorites recently.

Didn't have Synch have basically the exact same powers Hope does now? Would be interesting to see what would happen if he returned to the regular Marvel U. Not that the whole duplicating powers thing is new - there is a guy in X-Factor that has the powers of every mutant on the planet, but will never be mentioned outside of a Peter David book.

Hensler wrote: »

Didn't have Synch have basically the exact same powers Hope does now? Would be interesting to see what would happen if he returned to the regular Marvel U. Not that the whole duplicating powers thing is new - there is a guy in X-Factor that has the powers of every mutant on the planet, but will never be mentioned outside of a Peter David book.

Pretty much. Synch was Omega-level for his time, and Hope bears that idea out.

Actullay did a little "holy shit" gasp at the end of Ultimates #10 :)

So, Ultimate Universe landmass bodycount.

Ultimates: Europe mostly gone. China gone. Washington, DC gone.
    Ultimate X-Men: Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, pretty much gone.

Ultimate X-Men #11:
    President (pre-Ultimates #9) cedes control of Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oklahoma to the Nimrods. Captain Walker does the right thing, and helps Storm get the mutant children away. The Nimrod begin to build a giant Sentinel, possibly a Master Mold. Looks like Wood's X-Men will be a resistance in the occupied states.

Ultimates #10:
    DC's toast, Secretary of Energy is the new President, and Fury's squad (Falcon, Hawkeye, Black Widow) are on the run. Stark goes to see Susan Storm, who tells him his tumor is back. Tony tells Sue Reed is behind it all. Reed reconfigures the City's computer so it can defend itself better, by unlocking a secret program he had hidden there. Someone holding Thor's hammer bursts from the World Tree (aged Magni?).

Damn Ultimate Comics!

edited May 2012
    Really dug UCX-Men #11 again, though it'll be interesting to see how Spencer finishes his run next issue and how much will be left around for Wood to play with.
    Also, China aint gone, it's the "SEAR" area that is gone, (they make mention that China is still around in Ultimates #5 or #6).

UltimateInferno on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really love what I hear about the Ultimate universe and how things are happening that actually affect the world, rather than just a few blocks of NYC like most Marvel books. Where is the best palce to start? I did not care for the Millar Ultimate stuff at all. When did Hickman starting making the Ultimates awesome instead of awful? Are there trades available?

I really love what I hear about the Ultimate universe and how things are happening that actually affect the world, rather than just a few blocks of NYC like most Marvel books. Where is the best palce to start? I did not care for the Millar Ultimate stuff at all. When did Hickman starting making the Ultimates awesome instead of awful? Are there trades available?

You can start with the latest relaunch, which has hardcovers out for the first arcs of each book

Ultimates

Hawkeye(which is a miniseries that takes place along with the first arc of Ultimates)

X-Men

Spider-Man

edited May 2012
    On another note, I wonder if the cover to issue 12 is actually Modi, and we'll esentially have both versions of Thor running around.

Cover to Ultimates #11
    7rHYF.jpg

Cover to Spider-Men #4
    k08P9.jpg

UltimateInferno on

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    so xmen is like a day or two behind ultimates? in terms of events
    i wonder why susan storm was wearing her old uniform, unless the fantastic four exist in some way now.. awesome!!

Armoroc on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

You can start with the latest relaunch, which has hardcovers out for the first arcs of each book

Ultimates

Hawkeye(which is a miniseries that takes place along with the first arc of Ultimates)

X-Men

Spider-Man

Thanks for info.

Some more sweet Spider-Men art
    detail.jpg
    detail.jpg

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    That first page is awesome.

That's the kind of Spidey we need in movies.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    those last 4 panels make me smile so much. I'm pretty excited for this. I may have to read some of the miles stuff before hand

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

The new trailer suggests we are getting just that.

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote: »

I was going to point this out as well.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

I was going to point this out as well.

I wasn't sure if I was going to go, but "oh god tiny knives, my secret fear, please don't hurt the spider-man" sold me HARD.

huntresssig.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So i've finally bothered to do some looking and I guess Agent Flumm, the guy trying to take over SHIELD does have a standard Marvel version.

Mentallo

Only time will tell how similar the two are.

Quire.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Is there a site or post that sums up what's been going on with Reed?

Very curious about that.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Not a hundred-percent sure if I recall things correctly when it comes to Reed but...
    By the time of Ultimatum, Reed and Sue break up. Between that and his feelings that the world's hampering scientific advances that could benefit everyone, he decides to go rogue, kicking off the 'Ultimate Doomsday' trilogy (Enemy, Mystery and Doom). Despite trying to hide his actions by making himself seem like one of the first targets of his minions (whom I believe came from the Negative Zone), everyone eventually finds out what he's up to and tries to put a stop to him, eventually leaving him stranded and left for dead in the NZ, the side of his face partially scarred. He pops back onto Earth in Ultimate Fallout and recruits a group of like-minded people in what seems like an Ultimate-take on the Future Foundation only to lock all of them within the Ultimate version of The World in which time's sped up within, raising his own city-nation of advanced humans. They make their presence known in the current Ultimates series by taking over a sizeable chunk of Europe and killing off all the gods of Asgard except for Thor and his kid.