As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] First Time to PAX Prime? Have You First Timer Wisdom To Share? Inquire within...

• ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    any pax pros have any advice on coolers and such? Since the Westin charges for taking stuff out of the fridge if take stuff out to put stuff in I need to find something else to do. At this point I'm thinking of getting my friend who's coming down from north of Seattle to hangout for the day to bring me one, but don't want to leave a good/expensive cooler in Seattle

We used a cooler last year and left it in our hotel room. Filled it with ice once or twice a day. What exactly is the advice you are looking for? Definitely don't bring it into the expo hall if that's what you are hinting at....

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
    edited May 2012
    Crogoth wrote: »
    i'm wondering how much more i'm going to be putting aside for the TWDT/Pub crawl >_> like TOGSolid i'm a big fan of drinking and will probably also be keeping a bottle in my room, haha

See this
    tsrblke wrote: »
    Food is com
    skeller wrote: »
    Can someone explain what exactly the TriWizard Drinking Tournament is? I checked the Wiki but it was empty.

It sounds intriguing, and this first timer is curious.

@TOGSolid will likely be around shortly to explain.

Basically you get a lot of people and divide them into the 4 houses of Hogwart's and you "duel" against opposing houses in a series of drinking challenges. Each duel takes place in a different bar. Challenges change from year to year and can consist of mixing or getting certain drinks or playing a quick drinking game.

It takes liver-conditioning and knowing your body and possibly some gaterade. We had a guy last year that was hungover until about noon. It started out slow due to long lines so we would get extra drinks. I recall only half finishing a couple drinks/shots toward the end of the night.

The event also consists of cosplay, 200 people roaming the streets of Seattle, LMFAO, planking, and pointing and yelling.

The wife and I are debating doing this this year and in the absence of a TWDT thread, I might as well ask here. Does it become really expensive to do this? We'd hate to go out and run up a $200 bar tab and not be able to eat the rest of our trip.
    Alternatively if we're occasional introverts and sometimes bad at meeting people, should we just avoid this at all cost (I figure the Alcohol will offset the introvert part though? (This being only my second PAX I think it qualifies as "First timer question" on technicality.

There is a starting cost which is your donation. Then there are 5 bars, in which you buy a drink. So the cost depends on the drink and the place. Some places had drink specials. You are probably looking at $3-$8 per stop depending, then tip. Everyone ends up buying someone else a drink. So at a minimum you'll each be buying 1 per stop, as well as receiving 1 per stop. I can't honestly tell you how much I spent last year.

Keep in mind if you like drinking you'll buy more. I had at least 8 drinks that night. So assuming the high end of drinks, let's say $60-70 on drinks, $10-$20 in tips, $5 entry donation (if I recall correctly)....$100 would probably be a good place to start. Doesn't include any additional donations you may make or that "once it hits your lips" feeling causing you to buy more.

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    Also just an FYI the only place at the EXPO that I saw last year to charge your phones and whatnot was a couple outlets near the EVE Online set up. I let my phone charge for a bit while I talked up one of the art directors to EVE.

Otherwise, you'll be hunting for outlets :P

edited May 2012
    Also just an FYI the only place at the EXPO that I saw last year to charge your phones and whatnot was a couple outlets near the EVE Online set up. I let my phone charge for a bit while I talked up one of the art directors to EVE.

There are a bunch in the halls upstairs by where all the panels are held, the side rooms where table top is, band land, and some bathrooms have desk area/work stations nearby. Inside the expo hall itself, yes you will be hard pressed, but there are a lot of outlets throughout the building. If you find a pillar, chances are there is an outlet on one side of it.

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

There are a bunch in the halls upstairs by where all the panels are held, the side rooms where table top is, band land, and some bathrooms have desk area/work stations nearby. Inside the expo hall itself, yes you will be hard pressed, but there are a lot of outlets throughout the building. If you find a pillar, chances are there is an outlet on one side of it.

Best bet is to invest in a USB power pak. We bought a Mophie for East and it was amazing. It can charge our phones 4 times before it needs charging and it fit in my husband pocket. One of our better investments for PAX.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Best bet is to invest in a USB power pak. We bought a Mophie for East and it was amazing. It can charge our phones 4 times before it needs charging and it fit in my husband pocket. One of our better investments for PAX.
    Another thing could be bringing your own plug strip and share with others (if you are nice...and if the convention folks allow that.) Also. This*. It is my life-saver both here and at SDCC.

* For those who are not able to open the link at the moment of reading this, it's an universal wrist charger from ThinkGeek. It's a bit on the expensive side ($44.99USD), but truly worth it.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Another thing could be bringing your own plug strip and share with others (if you are nice...and if the convention folks allow that.) Also. This*. It is my life-saver both here and at SDCC.

* For those who are not able to open the link at the moment of reading this, it's an universal wrist charger from ThinkGeek. It's a bit on the expensive side ($44.99USD), but truly worth it.

:o
    That thing is fucking awesome! *eyeballs the add to shopping cart button*
    Keep in mind if you like drinking you'll buy more. I had at least 8 drinks that night. So assuming the high end of drinks, let's say $60-70 on drinks, $10-$20 in tips, $5 entry donation (if I recall correctly)....$100 would probably be a good place to start. Doesn't include any additional donations you may make or that "once it hits your lips" feeling causing you to buy more.
    Yeah, a hundred is a good starting point. The ATMs in the area are of iffy functionality so if you plan on spending like...well...me (saying "a drunk sailor" just seems redundant), then you may wanna bring whatever your daily limit is, lol. A money belt would be a reaaaally good idea.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • tea_birdtea_bird Tequila Se'lai Registered User regular
    Hesster56 wrote: »
    Good news, everyone!

I'm finally making my dreams come true and going to PAX Prime this year. It's going to be my first PAX, East or Prime, and I'm looking forward to it greatly.

Loving this thread, are there any others besides the main FAQ I should read?

And as I'll be coming from Ohio, is anyone else making the East to West pilgrimage? How bad is a red-eye flight going to be coming home? Should I try to stay at PAX as late as I can on Sunday and then sleep/leave Monday, or would it be okay to leave mid-Sunday and hop on a plane?

Thanks for all the responses in advance!

You're going to get 2 answers for every person on the "leave Sunday/Monday" question I think. I could throw in 10 good reasons why I prefer to leave Sunday (relaxing after PAX, get to causually pack, get some sleep, go to dinner with some people and not have to worry about time etc.) and I'm sure someone else could list another 10 why to leave Sunday (Cost comes to mind.) I think I'd not want to skip out in the middle of Sunday because I love staying for the final round of the Omegathon.
    YMMV, but right now coming from StL at least, it looks like Tuesday Plane tickets are going to be the cheapest getting out there, with prices going up as you approach the weekend. This is how it was last year as well. (I'll emphasize again YMMV, flight deals change, etc.)

I actually take a split approach on the "expo hall question." PAX is the only Con I go to, and last year being my first year, I enjoyed being on the expohall floor just for the sight of it all. We'll see how my time shakes down this year.

Also I'd check out the food thread that just went up. You can subsist on fast food and whatnot at PAX, personally I prefer not to. But, this is my vacation, and the wife and I enjoy going out to new resturants over fast food, so that might make me an anomoly at PAX.

I'm leaving Tuesday from StL and this will be my first PAX.

Everyone says don't bring a huge camera, but I'm definitely bringing mine. If it's too much of a hassle I'll leave it at the hotel the other days and use a point-and-shoot. Not sure if I want to drag a flash, though.

Twitter: @tea_bird
    edited May 2012
    tea_bird wrote: »
    Good news, everyone!

I'm finally making my dreams come true and going to PAX Prime this year. It's going to be my first PAX, East or Prime, and I'm looking forward to it greatly.

And as I'll be coming from Ohio, is anyone else making the East to West pilgrimage? How bad is a red-eye flight going to be coming home? Should I try to stay at PAX as late as I can on Sunday and then sleep/leave Monday, or would it be okay to leave mid-Sunday and hop on a plane?

You're going to get 2 answers for every person on the "leave Sunday/Monday" question I think. I could throw in 10 good reasons why I prefer to leave Sunday (relaxing after PAX, get to causually pack, get some sleep, go to dinner with some people and not have to worry about time etc.) and I'm sure someone else could list another 10 why to leave Sunday (Cost comes to mind.) I think I'd not want to skip out in the middle of Sunday because I love staying for the final round of the Omegathon.
    YMMV, but right now coming from StL at least, it looks like Tuesday Plane tickets are going to be the cheapest getting out there, with prices going up as you approach the weekend. This is how it was last year as well. (I'll emphasize again YMMV, flight deals change, etc.)

I actually take a split approach on the "expo hall question." PAX is the only Con I go to, and last year being my first year, I enjoyed being on the expohall floor just for the sight of it all. We'll see how my time shakes down this year.

Also I'd check out the food thread that just went up. You can subsist on fast food and whatnot at PAX, personally I prefer not to. But, this is my vacation, and the wife and I enjoy going out to new resturants over fast food, so that might make me an anomoly at PAX.

Everyone says don't bring a huge camera, but I'm definitely bringing mine. If it's too much of a hassle I'll leave it at the hotel the other days and use a point-and-shoot. Not sure if I want to drag a flash, though.

I took my DSLR and a nice prime lens to PAX. Worked great, was lightweight and was never a bother. Highly recommend a f/1.8 35mm prime.

adias.angel on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Good news, everyone!

I'm leaving Tuesday from StL and this will be my first PAX.

Much of that is going to come down to "How fast are you." When it comes to using it (I assume when people say "Big Camera" they mean SLR.) If you use Shutter Priority (my favorite in Low Light situations without a tripod, which pretty much defines parts of the Expohall* and the panel rooms aren't exactly "photo lightening.) you might be able to squeeze off pics fast enough. The SLR I use still takes film, so I'm not bringing it, I'm also picky about my shots when I use it, so I just leave it to avoid the temptation to be picky..
    But keep the point and shoot with you as well for a few reasons. 1) You may run into someone you want a pic with and have limited amounts of time to pull it off, (be kind to the mini-celebs!) and 2) even if you have a parnter with you the whole time to take said picture (I'm usually with my wife) they need to be speedy on the camera too, if you don't and you're askign someone else they may or may not be handy with an SLR.

Also, you'll be collecting swag like crazy, and SLRs can get heavy, and I'm lazy. I can stick my point 'n shoot in my pocket and not even notice it. Not so much for the SLR.

Us fellow StL-ians will see you there Wednesday!

*Some of the Expohall areas are just downright dark. So you will need a flash for certain situations, if you have a nice camera, I assume you know proper flash uses and when it's pointless anyway and such! (I just now realized my PAX pics are still on my camera, and will take me a bit to get off (my card reader is busted) so I can't show them to you to get an idea.) Of course the problem is Point and Shoots get pissy with their shutter team (leading to more than one blurry picture!)

watwatwat??
    How much charge does it hold, how quickly does it charge an item, and how quickly does it charge itself?

Good news, everyone!

I took my DSLR and a nice prime lens to PAX. Worked great, was lightweight and was never a bother. Highly recommend a f/1.8 35mm prime.
    I shoot full frame and plan on taking my 50/1.8, 85/1.2, and 24-105/4 (for outside cosplay sessions with my friends). The 85 on my 5DII are a damn heavy combo. I may use my sling bag... Not sure.

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

watwatwat??
    How much charge does it hold, how quickly does it charge an item, and how quickly does it charge itself?
    It can give your electronic thingie about two-three hours of extra life (providing that you use the electronic thingie at its minimum.) Now two-three hours may not seem a lot, but it's better to have some juice at 3PM than for it to be dead at noon. If I use it at its minimum, my iPhone goes from 20% to close to 75%. And it charges while you go! So you can wear the charger like a bracelet.

To charge the actual wrist charger, all it takes is a USB port to do it.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular

watwatwat??
    It can give your electronic thingie about two-three hours of extra life (providing that you use the electronic thingie at its minimum.) Now two-three hours may not seem a lot, but it's better to have some juice at 3PM than for it to be dead at noon. If I use it at its minimum, my iPhone goes from 20% to close to 75%. And it charges while you go! So you can wear the charger like a bracelet.

To charge the actual wrist charger, all it takes is a USB port to do it.

watwatwat??

While this certainly has COOL factor its only 1500mAh which is not much (the iphone has a 1420mAh)and won't charge something like an iPad (11,666mAh) so great for a phone but otherwise check what you are going to use it for.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

Good news, everyone!

I shoot full frame and plan on taking my 50/1.8, 85/1.2, and 24-105/4 (for outside cosplay sessions with my friends). The 85 on my 5DII are a damn heavy combo. I may use my sling bag... Not sure.

I shoot cropped (poor person body) so the 50mm f/1.8 I had was too tight in the expo hall but my 35mm f/1.8 should be just about right. I thought about dragging along my 24-70mm f/2.8 but it's so freaking heavy.

Good news, everyone!

I shoot cropped (poor person body) so the 50mm f/1.8 I had was too tight in the expo hall but my 35mm f/1.8 should be just about right. I thought about dragging along my 24-70mm f/2.8 but it's so freaking heavy.
    I may end up getting the 50mm/1.4 before the con. It's probably be perfect for the cosplay shots. Sunday I may bring the 24-105 for wider shots of the center and whatnot.

• barrin87barrin87 Roy, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I am a first time PAX goer and first time Seattle goer so I will be very new to this. I have an idea of what I will be bringing though. I was wondering how this looks to everyone else.

I will be wearing shorts and running shoes since those should have good cushioning

-I will be bringing a backpack to carry everything since that seems the easiest. Need to buy one since I don't own one.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YIFKRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    -Water bottle
    -Things to snack on like granola bars
    -light zip up hoodie in case it rains or is cold
    -Pen, sharpie, small notebook (for what I am not sure?)
    -Nintendo DS or PSP
    -Hand sanitizer
    -Empty paper towel roll (heard this is good for getting posters?)
    -Camera (mid sized camera so it's not a simple one but not a full SLR so it shouldn't be too huge but still take decent pictures. Figured that would save my phone battery as well.)
    -Obvious things like wallet, phone, chapstick, etc.

Should I bring that much cash to the convention? I rarely ever carry cash and am not sure if vendors would accept credit cards or if some or cash only.

I will be staying at the Hotel Seattle which appears to be 1/2 mile away from the convention center. The reviews on the hotel seem mediocre at best but I don't need luxury. The price wasn't terrible though.

I will be arriving on Wednesday and leaving the next Wednesday. I am going with someone else so that should be some good extra time to do a few other things while we are there at least.

barrin87 on
    barrin87 wrote: »
    {SNIP}
    -Pen, sharpie, small notebook (for what I am not sure?)
    {SNIP}
    -Empty paper towel roll (heard this is good for getting posters?)
    {SNIP}
    Should I bring that much cash to the convention? I rarely ever carry cash and am not sure if vendors would accept credit cards or if some or cash only.

{SNIP}.

(Sorry lots of snipping to keep it small)

Pen (reccomend sharpie) for possible Autographs. I don't think we ever used ours since we're not "Celebrity in the wild" type people* but YMMV (if there's an official signing they'll usually have at least a black Sharpie in my experience. If you need something odd like Silver to sign on black I'd bring that.)

On Paper Towel rolls, Our Posters were bigger than this, by a lot. And we got 3 of them. I guess you could bring multiple paper towl roles, but our smallest poster was an 18X24 I think? (16X20 at the smallest). And our largest (the DnD poster) was like 20X36 or something IIRC. In any case, bigger than 3 paper towel rolls shoved together. Got the UPS store (Fedex/Post office) and buy a poster tube (Medium size is what I got) and just pack it with you on the way up (unless your suitecase isn't big enough? Then..errg...hurry to get one at the FedEx store at the WSCC before they sell out.

Cash is a guessing game IMHO. How much do you tend to buy? Some merchants took credit card (I'd guess most?) Some took cash only. It'd really suck if the merchant you wanted tons of stuff from was Cash only. (FWIW, I think we carried $60 on us, total. The PAX merch booth took CC and so did our major sink hole, Steve Jackson Games.)

By the by, I snipped it, but I found DS's to be more common, but that may have been my bias.

edited May 2012
    Pen (reccomend sharpie) for possible Autographs. I don't think we ever used ours since we're not "Celebrity in the wild" type people* but YMMV (if there's an official signing they'll usually have at least a black Sharpie in my experience. If you need something odd like Silver to sign on black I'd bring that.)

On Paper Towel rolls, Our Posters were bigger than this, by a lot. And we got 3 of them. I guess you could bring multiple paper towl roles, but our smallest poster was an 18X24 I think? (16X20 at the smallest). And our largest (the DnD poster) was like 20X36 or something IIRC. In any case, bigger than 3 paper towel rolls shoved together. Got the UPS store (Fedex/Post office) and buy a poster tube (Medium size is what I got) and just pack it with you on the way up (unless your suitecase isn't big enough? Then..errg...hurry to get one at the FedEx store at the WSCC before they sell out.

Cash is a guessing game IMHO. How much do you tend to buy? Some merchants took credit card (I'd guess most?) Some took cash only. It'd really suck if the merchant you wanted tons of stuff from was Cash only. (FWIW, I think we carried $60 on us, total. The PAX merch booth took CC and so did our major sink hole, Steve Jackson Games.)

By the by, I snipped it, but I found DS's to be more common, but that may have been my bias.

I will make sure to bring a couple of sharpies just to make sure. That shouldn't be too difficult since they don't take up any room.

That's a smart idea with the poster tube! The only reason but that might be hard for me is because I am taking a plane there and will only be bringing a duffle bag along with a backpack so I would need to make sure they would fit. Paper towel rolls definitely could be harder but I was thinking I could at least flatten quite a few of them out and make them take up virtually no room before posters are in them.

For cash, I am not quite sure since I have never been to a convention before and don't know how much I would be interested in going. I was thinking about bringing at least $50 in cash just in case. I am sure there are ATM's there in case of an emergency.

I appreciate all the help though! I welcome any I can get. =D

barrin87 on

I will make sure to bring a couple of sharpies just to make sure. That shouldn't be too difficult since they don't take up any room.

That's a smart idea with the poster tube! The only reason but that might be hard for me is because I am taking a plane there and will only be bringing a duffle bag along with a backpack so I would need to make sure they would fit. Paper towel rolls definitely could be harder but I was thinking I could at least flatten quite a few of them out and make them take up virtually no room before posters are in them.

For cash, I am not quite sure since I have never been to a convention before and don't know how much I would be interested in going. I was thinking about bringing at least $50 in cash just in case. I am sure there are ATM's there in case of an emergency.

I appreciate all the help though! I welcome any I can get. =D

If there are ATMs be prepared to walk, my guess is the ATM in the WSCC (which I presume has one) runs out fairly quickly and ATMs sometimes aren't filled on weekends (not to mention the fees!) My guess is $50 is fine plenty (but others can feel free to tell me why that's not true.) Although consider if you plan on going out with lots of people, cash makes bill splitting easier ;).

On the paper towel tubs. Consider a few things. 1) If you flatten them, they aren't going to protect your posters from being bent anyway ;). You'd be just as good off with Rubberbands I imagine. 2) If you can't fit it down there full size, you won't be able to get it back! (A poster tube could be mailed worst case scenero. Also I owe thanks to someone on the forums last year for suggesting it to me, I'm just paying it forward.) Leave extra space because you'll likely come back with more than you left with (I have a crushed Halo Megablocks kit still in the (crushed) box to testify to the perils of not having enough return space.)

If there are ATMs be prepared to walk, my guess is the ATM in the WSCC (which I presume has one) runs out fairly quickly and ATMs sometimes aren't filled on weekends (not to mention the fees!)
    I've never heard of anyone having ATM issue in the WSCC. I know I haven't. Anyone else hit any snags?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    {SNIP}

Poster tubes generally count as a free carry on in my experience. It's kinda like how women get a purse, under seat carry on and a overhead carry on? Yeah, poster-tube is your purse ;)

On the cash bit, I've never had an issue with the ATM machines in the WSCC (but if I remember correctly they're USBank, which is my primary). Other option is the USBank tower which is across the street. It has two Starbucks (not kidding) and a Jimmy Johns (best sandwiches EVER) inside, as well as several ATMs.

Tar3820 on
    PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    Sign up for groupon and check it daily even now. They have a ton of food groupons for restaurants and you can literally cut your food costs in half. Plus you can buy them months in advance and not have to worry about it while at pax.

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    {SNIP}

Poster tubes generally count as a free carry on in my experience. It's kinda like how women get a purse, under seat carry on and a overhead carry on? Yeah, poster-tube is your purse ;)

On the cash bit, I've never had an issue with the ATM machines in the WSCC (but if I remember correctly they're USBank, which is my primary). Other option is the USBank tower which is across the street. It has two Starbucks (not kidding) and a Jimmy Johns (best sandwiches EVER) inside, as well as several ATMs.

I was going to say the same thing about carrying on the poster tube. My husband and I each carried on our usual travel bag packs and then our free personal item was our swag bags which he put the poster tube in. Worked great. Also know that if you buy a poster at the PAX merch booth they give you a shortened poster tube.

edited May 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    If there are ATMs be prepared to walk, my guess is the ATM in the WSCC (which I presume has one) runs out fairly quickly and ATMs sometimes aren't filled on weekends (not to mention the fees!)
    I've never heard of anyone having ATM issue in the WSCC. I know I haven't. Anyone else hit any snags?

Kudos to USBank and the WSCC then! (or we're just becoming that much more of a cashless society!) Hell round here, I've seen ATMs at stadiums run short on cash. I just tend to assume "somewhat captive audience+limited ATM inside said space=ATM runs out of money" See also: Cruise Ships.
    But yeah, don't forget about he fees! Fees are evil! And it's good to know it's USBank so I know I don't want to use it ;).
    I was going to say the same thing about carrying on the poster tube. My husband and I each carried on our usual travel bag packs and then our free personal item was our swag bags which he put the poster tube in. Worked great. Also know that if you buy a poster at the PAX merch booth they give you a shortened poster tube.

What is a "shortened poster tube?" Just out of curiosity. Does it have caps, which are good for not sliding out? I didn't buy posters at the PAX merch booth last year. (We were lucky enough to get all the arty-postery stuff we wanted for the St. Louis Book Signing, which incidently is what caused us to want to go to pax, so we didn't buy any of that at PAX this year and din't have to wait in the signing line!)

FWIW, I have 2 poster tubes (one from the FedEx Store, and one from an order of a poster that I saved) The Fedex one is bigger at ~25" (meaning it only fits in my wife's extra large 29" suitecase) The "Extra" one is about 22" meaning it won't fit in my tiny arse carry on but it will fit in my 25" travel bag (incidently, my wife's second suitecase, she travels a lot and all the luggage is hers.)
    I just measured my biggest poster (the DND dragon from last year.) It's 24" long on it's smallest side, meanining it would only fit in the big tube. The other posters we got are 18" or so on their smallest side (and thus would be fine in either.)

File this in the lessons learned too. I tried to get all fancy and use rubberbands to hold my posters while I put them in the tubes. I now have some damged posters where the rubberbands pinched trying to get into said tube (thankfully it only damaged the outer ones, and my wife and I had 2 of each since, well we're two people.)

tsrblke on

What is a "shortened poster tube?" Just out of curiosity. Does it have caps, which are good for not sliding out? I didn't buy posters at the PAX merch booth last year. (We were lucky enough to get all the arty-postery stuff we wanted for the St. Louis Book Signing, which incidently is what caused us to want to go to pax, so we didn't buy any of that at PAX this year and din't have to wait in the signing line!)

It kind of looked like they took a whole tube and cut it in half. It only had a cap on one side. A couple of the posters stuck out a couple inches but nothing got banged up or anything on the way home.

• Megga-MiisterMegga-Miister Registered User new member
    I made an account just to comment on this. I'm from Seattle and this is my second year going to PAX.

A couple of tips I find helpful are 1) Bring cash! I find it to be easier to have money on you so you don't have to stop at an ATM. Also I don't think all vendors accept credit, even so it's better to be safe then sorry. Then 2) as soon as the schedule comes out list out all the panels and events you want to go to and then choose between the conflicting ones. You probably won't be able to see everything you want to, so pick ahead of time and line up early to your events. Popular panels and events have lines up to an hour or more in advance. If you get bored in lines bring a book or a ds something to help the time go by.

Being a bit of a foodie I know there are some great restaurants in the area. There is some great food at Pike Place like the brewery but that is a little further than I like to go from the convention (however it is still reasonably close). I generally go to the malls nearby for food. There is a nice Italian restaurant called Il Fornaio on Pine Street. Its connected to a mall with more sit down restaurants inside. If you're looking for stuff a bit cheaper than a sit down restaurant there is Westlake Center not to far away and it has a huge food court with a lot of options. Then if you're looking for nicer restaurants nearby I would recommend Tango for their Spanish tapas, but be warned it is a pricey place. I figure this will all be in the booklet they handout but thought it would be worth mentioning anyway.

On a side note try to thank an Enforcer or two while you're there. I've yet to have met one who isn't nice or helpful or overall awesome. They are the backbone of PAX and I'm sure any thanks would be much appreciated by them.

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    Also. This*. It is my life-saver both here and at SDCC.

might be worth checking ebay for these as I just found one for £14.99 GBP (thats about $25USD)
    shortened ebay link for UK based peoples - goo.gl/qVt3o (they have multiples on sale with a buy it now paypal price free delivery as well

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ok, local and 5-time Prime attendee coming in to repeat a few things that I'm sure have been said 100 times already.

POSTERS : Buy a real life, authentic, free-range PA poster at the merch booth (~$8) and they give you your very own poster tube! Then you're set to cram as many as you can in to take home and you get a sweet PA poster to adorn your walls.

FOOD : Westlake Center is your friend. Sure, if you have to have food RIGHT NOW so you can get to something else, it won't work. But really, it's a 5-10 minute walk (speed and light dependent) and has lots of normal priced food and a lot of variety. If you can take a 30 minute break away from PAX central, you can easily walk over and grab food, sit down to eat, and be back in it (sometimes even faster than if you'd waited in line at the WSCTC). Also, there is a super secret Subway that I'm even reluctant to make known to the greater populus, but...well, here goes: 8th & Olive.
    THAT'S IT, I'VE RUINED IT! Seriously, if you want a tasty sandwich, GO TO THIS SUBWAY. Yes, there is a Subway in the convention center (roflines). There is even one on the street, which would surely be faster. NO, go to the super secret Subway! You can walk there (3 blocks), eat lunch and enjoy a conversation and still get back before most of the people in the CCSubway lines have even ordered.

BAGS : A normal backpack works fine. A plain, old-school backpack (Jansport much?) will not stick out that far off your back to have to worry about whacking fellow nerds. Personally, I carry a standard backpack with side pockets for water bottles, and wear a small messenger style bag. Put on messenger, put on backpack. Then you can stuff any swag into the little bag that sits at your side. If it starts to get too full, you just pull off to a quiet corner and unload into your backpack, load up and get back to business.

BUS : This is a little bit for north-end locals. Drive to the Northgate Mall P&R and catch a bus. It's maybe 20 minutes and drops you off two blocks from the convention center. @Chadzilla1983 and I do this every year, it's way cheaper than parking and you actually end up meeting a lot of other PAXers at the park and ride (came in handy once as I didn't have enough singles to ride down and back that day. A Link cosplayer and his friends helped me out, but I had to chastise Link as he tried to trade me rupees for my America moneys...silly Link, rupees are for Hyrule!).

As should be assumed of just about any tip: IMHO, YMMV, LOL, PAX, ETC.
    Have fun and see you there!

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    THAT'S IT, I'VE RUINED IT! Seriously, if you want a tasty sandwich, GO TO THIS SUBWAY. Yes, there is a Subway in the convention center (roflines). There is even one on the street, which would surely be faster. NO, go to the super secret Subway! You can walk there (3 blocks), eat lunch and enjoy a conversation and still get back before most of the people in the CCSubway lines have even ordered.
    Y U RUIN THE SEKRIT SUB?

Damnit man! That was one of my food haunts. :(

wWuzwvJ.png
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Actually, I found the Subway inside the WSTCC to be very fast for the number of people going through. I think we ate there three times over the course of the weekend and each time we were through the line and eating inside of 10 minutes.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    BUS : This is a little bit for north-end locals. Drive to the Northgate Mall P&R and catch a bus. It's maybe 20 minutes and drops you off two blocks from the convention center. @Chadzilla1983 and I do this every year, it's way cheaper than parking and you actually end up meeting a lot of other PAXers at the park and ride (came in handy once as I didn't have enough singles to ride down and back that day. A Link cosplayer and his friends helped me out, but I had to chastise Link as he tried to trade me rupees for my America moneys...silly Link, rupees are for Hyrule!).

As should be assumed of just about any tip: IMHO, YMMV, LOL, PAX, ETC.
    Have fun and see you there!

I tried to rely on Metro last year and was totally effed. I was coming from West Seattle then, though. Still, I wasn't transferring! I only needed ONE BUS. It left us stranded once (we seriously hailed a cab to get home because I wasn't going to wait at the stop for another hour with my 12 year old at 11pm) and then in the mornings we stood at the bus stop for 40 minutes each time despite going literally outside our door for a bus that should have been running every 20 minutes. I had/have so much rage for Metro I can't even with them.

That said ... maybe from the northside things are more reliable? We have since moved to Shoreline and I'm more than willing to give it a try driving to the Northgate P&R (from Aurora Village our only option may be the 358 which is the Notoriously Crazy Bus).

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That said ... maybe from the northside things are more reliable? We have since moved to Shoreline and I'm more than willing to give it a try driving to the Northgate P&R (from Aurora Village our only option may be the 358 which is the Notoriously Crazy Bus).

Lots of options to get downtown from Northgate by bus, but the 41 would be the best.

Saldek on
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Thank you! :)

ufq9gj8383nh.png

Thanks for the advise on cash and bringing poster tubes! I am thinking I will follow Custom Special's advise and just buy a poster while I am at the convention so I don't have to worry about going to the store to buy a tube. I will make sure to bring plenty of cash!

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    In fact, if you really don't want to deal with packing your swag to take back home, just go to the FedEx store in the convention center and ship it home.

• cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    prepare for the weather as well. last year a few frens of mine got sunburned waiting outside in line for the big panels like halo 4 and ubisoft on the bridge over I-5, so sun screen is a must. also a light jacket in case of the small chance of rain.
    bring two pairs of comfortable shoes to alternate each day. IMO it helps my feet alot to have a freshly aired out pair of shoes to wear each day

edited May 2012
    cedelacruz wrote: »
    prepare for the weather as well. last year a few frens of mine got sunburned waiting outside in line for the big panels like halo 4 and ubisoft on the bridge over I-5, so sun screen is a must. also a light jacket in case of the small chance of rain.
    bring two pairs of comfortable shoes to alternate each day. IMO it helps my feet alot to have a freshly aired out pair of shoes to wear each day

Total newb question but the lines for panels go all the way outside?

adias.angel on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

The MT line is actually located outside.

zerzhul wrote: »

The MT line is actually located outside.

Are there any others that are located outside? Or is that the only one?

This discussion has been closed.