As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Is Darkseid reading Mein Kampf?

(except with an H)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    David_T wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    (300) was supposed to be akin to a legend storytellers tell their brethren back in the day to help teach a lesson or motivate troops or whatever.

It wasn't just akin to something storytellers would tell to motivate troops, it was something told to motivate troops. That's how it ends, with the narrator being shown telling the story to motivate troops before the battle of Plataea. Short of falling asleep, there is no way to miss that even within the films own universe, it is still an exaggerated tale told for effect.

I've never understood those complaints.

yeah, at the end of 300 I was ready to go flat murder someone, if you let it sweep you up, it's really effective in the motivational capacity.

Langly on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Blank, who is the the dude with the furnace glued to his back on that Flash cover

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I would argue that Darkseid is actually better without all the New God baggage

Kirby is fun as hell but it is impossible to take a lot of his stuff seriously

How do you do Darkseid without "New Gods baggage"?

That's like doing Superman without "Krypton baggage".
    darkseidchillsout.jpg

also people are constantly telling superman stories that don't rely on kryptonian elements

I love Darkseid's habit of showing up in peoples' houses unexpectedly.

tumblr_lhzdxuiTnr1qi1pf3o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lho3cj0Fi71qedeu5o1_500.png

tumblr_li0j12LWvo1qi1pf3o1_500.jpg

• Options
    he mentioned heatwave, so since that's the guy with fire on his back i will say heatwave.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

(except with an H)

he's reading Mein Kampfy Chair

• Options
    Well Heatwave looks dumb

Also that second darkseid pic looks like something out of Basic Instinct

The Ambush Bug one looks like he's watching tv and mooching snacks/beer off Bug while he was getting that pizza

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

(except with an H)

I assume this is the implication.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    As much as I love that character I've always preferred the the black leggings to the black undies

Like I can cope with the skirt, it's a sort of toga dealie, but quit flashing your Darkseid every time you cross your legs man

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edcrab wrote: »
    As much as I love that character I've always preferred the the black leggings to the black undies

Like I can cope with the skirt, it's a sort of toga dealie, but quit flashing your Darkseid every time you cross your legs man

Oh god, now I can't unsee it

Have some decency, Darkseid!
    That's very unladylike

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    darkseid prefers the furniture version

mein kampfy couch

get it because he sits on everyone's shit

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the point is, you can't see despero rocking up in your house uninvited and sitting in your best chair. that would be silly.

and when you cry out in your dreams it isn't despero that you see.

• Options
    buttlord that joke got made like three posts above

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »

Oh god, now I can't unsee it

Have some decency, Darkseid!
    That's very unladylike

darkseid-laugh-smile.jpg

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    buttlord that joke got made like three posts above

dammit

i saw "mein kampf" and had to do it

• Options
    HotandnerdyHotandnerdy Hot and Nerdy Kansas CityRegistered User regular
    Well Heatwave looks dumb

Also that second darkseid pic looks like something out of Basic Instinct

The Ambush Bug one looks like he's watching tv and mooching snacks/beer off Bug while he was getting that pizza

Lmao!

girl.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

as much as I like the uniforms, I really love the old utility chest strap shoulder holster

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Anyone here read Avengers Assemble #3 yet?
    Thanos shows up at the end.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shit, I honestly can't think of a good threat for a Justice League movie that isn't basically an alien invasion. Maybe "the center" from the New Frontier animated movie: only taken out in a far less crappy fashion?

You mean in the incredibly awesome fashion that it ended, since new frontier the movie and the graphic novel were fucking fantastic?
    Crappy, last second plot mcguffin saves the day? If the comic ends that way I'd find it disappointing as well.

• Options
    The Atom is not a macguffin

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I hate the word "macguffin"

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Shit, I honestly can't think of a good threat for a Justice League movie that isn't basically an alien invasion. Maybe "the center" from the New Frontier animated movie: only taken out in a far less crappy fashion?

You mean in the incredibly awesome fashion that it ended, since new frontier the movie and the graphic novel were fucking fantastic?
    Crappy, last second plot mcguffin saves the day? If the comic ends that way I'd find it disappointing as well.

that's not what a macguffin is

• Options
    Hi, I'm a character who has never been shown before in this movie and the audience has no emotional attachment towards. Here is a device you have never seen before in this movie which we will use to beat the bad guy.

It's a mcguffin. The atom and his device's only contributions to the movie are to provide a way to finish the plot: that's a mcguffin.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hi, I'm a character who has never been shown before in this movie and the audience has no emotional attachment towards. Here is a device you have never seen before in this movie which we will use to beat the bad guy.

It's a mcguffin. The atom and his device's only contributions to the movie are to provide a way to finish the plot: that's a mcguffin.

You've actually got that definition incredibly wrong. What you're describing sounds more like Deus Ex Machina.

Let me finish this amazing shawarma and if no one else has I'll educate you.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Alfred Hitchcock described a Mcguffin as "An item the audience doesn't care about to move the plot along" so I'm going with that. Would you doubt one of the masters of cinema?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    They very much introduce the atom earlier in news clippings.

Furthermore, the whole god dang point of new frontier is that it's a love letter/concise retelling of the golden age of comics. They reference a huge amount of characters that you are supposed to know already. That's the idea.

• Options

that is a deus ex machina (and you're still wrong)

macguffin is an item that the characters seek out that has no purpose other than creating a reason for people to do shit

• Options
    The Ray Palmer Atom was silver age, the book was about the shift from the golden age of DC to the silver age, he fits in just fine

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    man what was that comic about the soldiers on the dinosaur island

i wanna read THAT

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

that is a deus ex machina (and you're still wrong)

macguffin is an item that the characters seek out that has no purpose other than creating a reason for people to do shit

Yes this. The Maltese Falcon is a classic example of a MacGuffin, or the briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    deus ex macguffin

• Options
    edited May 2012
    That was the WWII The Losers at the start of New Frontier

Not to be confused with Andy Diggle's The Losers

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Seriously though that shawarma. There's a place near here that has 5 different regional variations on it. I just had "The Lebanese" which was chicken, lettuce, garlic sauce, and fries. Amaaaaaazing.

• Options
    Yes I meant to say transfer from golden age but for some reason didn't.

• Options
    I'm judging the movie based on what was in the movie, not based on the rich history of the DC universe. They could have set up ray palmer and his amazing device much better. Some news clippings don't count for a character and plot device thats required to finish the story. If the character is that important, the show him off. Why is he building this device? Why does it exist?

I'll concede that dues ex machina would be a better definition but again, vital element to the resolution of the plot, and the character presiding over it are only directly introduced right before they are used.

It was not a method of storytelling that I cared for.

• Options
    you're wrong

• Options
    Details, my man. Why am I wrong.

• Options
    Details, my man. Why am I wrong.

They very much introduce the atom earlier in news clippings.

Furthermore, the whole god dang point of new frontier is that it's a love letter/concise retelling of the golden age of comics. They reference a huge amount of characters that you are supposed to know already. That's the idea.

this is like walking into the avengers and going dang why does that guy have a hammer and talk weird who is this

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The best part of that episode was Skinner walking in and talking with Bart before realizing who he was

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.