As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Traveling Alone for First Time

CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I haven't ever traveled alone (without my parents planning everything) and I haven't flown on a plane since I was 2 years old. Now I want to take a trip to Denver in the end of May, and I don't know what I'm doing at all. When should I buy my plane tickets? From where? Are airports really as awful as everyone complains about? I'm sure there are a myriad other questions I should ask too, but mostly I need to know how and when to get my plane tickets.

Cervetus on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ah, the joys and headaches of traveling. I just went on a trip alone, and I can tell you, airports aren't as bad as everyone says. Security...maybe, but if you're honest, you won't have any trouble. The only real beef I have is that you can't carry on any liquids over 100ml.

The best time to book tickets, I've found, is on Tuesday or Wednesday. They seem to have the best deals then. Where are you coming from?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Cervetus wrote:
    I haven't ever traveled alone (without my parents planning everything) and I haven't flown on a plane since I was 2 years old. Now I want to take a trip to Denver in the end of May, and I don't know what I'm doing at all. When should I buy my plane tickets? From where? Are airports really as awful as everyone complains about? I'm sure there are a myriad other questions I should ask too, but mostly I need to know how and when to get my plane tickets.

buy tickets as early as possible if you know when you'll need to fly. you can buy directly from the airlines or use a website like travelocity etc to search for the "best" rate for you.

airports are like malls, security is a pain sometimes but just show up early, wear comfortable (BUT NOT LOOSE) clothing, easy to slip on and off shoes and no sharp objects or liquids above 3 ounces in your carry on bag. if you plan on checking a bag it may be 15-25 dollars but you can put as much liquid and as many knives in there as you want. all large electronics like laptops and ipads need to be scanned seperately so pack them on the top.

you will need a photo ID (passport if its to another country)

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Yeah, remember when going through security to take your laptop out of your bag and into it's own separate bin.

Otherwise they will yell at you.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Make sure you plan for long enough layovers. Anything under 50 minutes is suspect. You want to leave enough cushion in case your plane is running a bit late, since you really take off ten minutes of the layover time for deboarding, and 15 minutes more for boarding. So I aim for 1 hour layovers to be on the safe side. 2 hours is nice because it gives you plenty of time to stop and eat, drink a beer, and not feel rushed.

If you are stranded for some reason, talk to one of the folks behind an airline's counter. I've had way more luck being nice and super polite to them, and they've made some major adjustments(corrections) without any cost to me.

Also, you won't be able to use the restroom until like 15 minutes after takeoff, and you can't use it 15 minutes before landing, so plan accordingly.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Yeah, if at all possible try to get a direct flight, or one that makes a stop but you stay in the same airplane. I recently flew from NYC during a sudden unexpected storm, so I was really worried that I would end up missing my connecting flight. Thankfully, by the time I was scheduled to depart, things had gotten better weather wise, but it suck having to spend time even worrying about it.

Make sure that when you're figuring out your budget, you include things like baggage fees, cab fare, and (if you're doing this) parking fees. Those can add up a couple hundred bucks in a hurry.

I never really have had a bad experience in an airport. Flown out of LaGuardia, JFK, and LAX, which supposedly are some of the worst airports, but I have always gone through security and in my area in like 30 minutes or so.

Also, it's sad that you have to even think about this, but if you're a heavier person, don't fly southwest. Supposedly they're the worse ones when it comes to pulling people out of flights.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Yeah, remember when going through security to take your laptop out of your bag and into it's own separate bin.

Otherwise they will rape you.

Good tips so far.

I put my watch, phone, and keys in my laptop bag just before I go through the screening, as it keeps those things from making you buzz.

Keep your wallet on you (unless it's on a chain), and have your ID and ticket in hand.

Have you got luggage yet? I like Victorinox, and generally garment bags; either the smaller shoulder style, or the type with wheels.

A protip is to know which airline is the least busy at your airport and use their security line; as long as they connect, of course. Like Delta is a good place in O'Hare.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah the big thing to remember is to show up 2-3 hours early - you don't want to feel rushed when doing security/ticket stuff.

Individual airlines vary, but the more ticket-related stuff you can do before you get to the airport, the better. Southwest lets you 'check-in' 24 hours in advance and print out your ticket at home (or print it out from one of their kiosks), so you can skip the ticket counter and go straight to security.

If possible, put all your stuff into a carry-on (depending on how long your you might need a suitcase). Not checking a bag saves a lot of time. Before you get to security, just empty your pockets into the carryon - wallet, keys, change, pens, jewelry. Just keep your ticket and your ID with you.

Don't worry about speeding through all the security rigamarole; just take it step by step so you don't forget anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uNPpFZLelE

• Options
    Thanks guys! Just bought my ticket. I'm still nervous about the airport, but it sounds like it's not a factory of awful like I've been led to believe. I could probably fit all my stuff on a carry-on, but would they let me take double-edged razor blades (like this)?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'd lean toward no, you'd probably have to check those. I don't think they have a problem with those little safety razor cartridges; free razorblades might raise some eyebrows though.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    No you cannot bring a razor blade in your carryon.

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I could probably fit all my stuff on a carry-on, but would they let me take double-edged razor blades (like this)?

No!!! Absolutely not

there's nothing wrong with the airport, I actually kind of like doing all that stuff by myself, its very low stress. I'm not really sure what you've heard about airports, but they're honestly completely fine. Just be smart about what you're taking with you, nothing sharp or potentially dangerous. Also make sure all your liquids and gels are 3oz or less (so ridiculous, I know, but oh well). Don't worry if you have something like contact solution, since its a medical item they'll let you take it on even if its over the limit
    Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll be early enough that there won't be a big crowd! I fly out of portland a lot and there's never a crowd, the TSA people are always so nice and friendly to me! Probs because everything is so relaxed

What kind of carry on are you taking? A backpack is nice because its easy to carry around, but its nice to have a little rolling bag as well. Don't forget to bring something fun to do for the plane and while you're waiting around in the airport! Sadly, airport food is ALWAYS expensive, but sometimes you just have to deal with it.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Oh! And if you have an IPhone/Ipad and haven't done so, download the Iphone finder thing, so if you end up being a silly goose and end up forgetting/missing the items, you can have a chance to track them.

Also, don't be a silly goose and forget stuff.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    You may want to bring something to eat with you to the airport. TSA won't give you shit if you have a pile of fast food in your carry-on (at least in my experience, and I've brought full sized plate lunches on), but the downside to this is that everything smells like fast food. Someone here also mentioned a while back that bringing an empty water bottle is good, too, as there are fountains to fill at.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If all you're going to take on the trip is a carry-on bag, might just be best to buy all of your toiletries after you get to wherever you're going. Saves on space in your bag for extra socks and undies or what have you. Experience tells me that having some extra clothes will do you no harm, and if you do end up needing them, you're REALLY going to need them.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Travelling really is unexciting (thankfully) the only things you need to be aware of are: security and luggage restrictions, what time to get to the airport, and if it's, a big airport, be aware of where your gate is when you get there, so if you do lose track of time, you know how to get there quickly.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I would suggest getting an electric razor for travel.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    You may want to bring something to eat with you to the airport. TSA won't give you shit if you have a pile of fast food in your carry-on (at least in my experience, and I've brought full sized plate lunches on), but the downside to this is that everything smells like fast food. Someone here also mentioned a while back that bringing an empty water bottle is good, too, as there are fountains to fill at.

At most airports I've been to (all over the continental US and Europe), there's a ton of food options past security.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    take your shoes off on the plane. The other passengers can go to hell, too comfy

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Unless you have a foot odor problem. Cause then you'll be that guy. Nobody wants to be that guy.

• Options
    Esh wrote: »

At most airports I've been to (all over the continental US and Europe), there's a ton of food options past security.

Expensive ones. If you've got the time, might as well save a few bucks.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    Bring something to keep you occupied. Air travel is a lot of hurry up and wait. You hurry through the security line, then wait at the terminal, you hurry onto the plain then wait to take off, you fly to Denver then wait while they deplane.

Bring some snacks with you and buy your water when you get through security, or the empty water bottle is actually very smart too.

Be patient, don't be afraid to ask around for help if you are not sure what to do. Smile and have good humor.

Leave your self plenty of time, if you don't feel rushed the whole process becomes so much easier.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

Expensive ones. If you've got the time, might as well save a few bucks.

No more than anywhere else. It's just standard stuff (fast food/chain restaurants). Booze is pricier, but the food remains at the same level as far as I've ever noticed.

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Also, depending where you are going in Denver -- our airport is in the middle of nowhere.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Food: It really depends on how long your travel is and the timeframe. If you have a layover right during dinner time, go ahead and buy at the airport. If your flight is right after dinner/lunch, you can buy like a Subway sandwich and just put it in your carry on luggage (or not). Remember, the ticketing agents care about what you take on the plane as it pertains to size/weight. Security only cares about what you take on the plane for safety. If you tell the ticketing agent you have no bags, but take 5 pieces of luggage through security, Security won't care -- other than they'll have to check every bag and may flag you for carrying so much stuff on, but they won't make you check anything or whatever. If you get food before security and carry it through so you can eat what you like while waiting for the plane, Security won't care. No liquids, though.

However, it is usually easier to eat at the airport, simply due to carrying so many things around (which is why Subway sandwiches are ideal), but it is a good idea to bring snacks that are small. Granola bars are great as they're compact and can get squished. Chips are bad as they'll get pulverized in any sort of luggage. It's great to just pull out a granola bar, or beef jerky, or some other compact snack when you're hungry, rather than hunting for a simple snack or waiting for the flight attendants to serve a snack (if they serve a snack).

Airports in general: People say that airports/flying is terrible primarily because it's expensive and full of seemingly arbitrary rules. The "Up In The Air" clip is entertaining because it really shows the different perspectives -- if you KNOW you must fly, and you learn all the rules and simply follow them, flying is pretty easy. But people are offended at the body scanners, the limits on liquids, baggage fees, schedule changes, layovers, delays, and so on. Add to that the fact that timing/scheduling for flights are dictated by the airlines, air traffic control, and the weather, travelers have very little control over the flight -- and that frustrates them, especially when they need to be somewhere at a certain time, or left early only to find a delay and they sit in an uncomfortable chair for an extra 2-3 hours.

The majority of the inconveniences can be addressed or even enjoyed if you plan a little, like the discussion of food & snacks. Bring a book or small portable electronic thing to give you something fun to do, plan to be a little early to account for your own delays and security (remember that planes board 30 min before takeoff time, so if your flight leaves at 1:30 you'll start getting on the plane at 1:00).

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Raekreu wrote: »
    If all you're going to take on the trip is a carry-on bag, might just be best to buy all of your toiletries after you get to wherever you're going. Saves on space in your bag for extra socks and undies or what have you. Experience tells me that having some extra clothes will do you no harm, and if you do end up needing them, you're REALLY going to need them.

Very true. I ALWAYS have a an entire set of spare clothes in my carry luggage (underwear, trousers everything). I could never shake the feeling it was a waste of time until an airline lost my luggage between Sanfransisco and Vancouver. It took them four whole days to track it down and give it back. Luckily I was able to wear my spare set and wash the ones I wasn't wearing, but yeah that could have been a very uncomfortable four days.

Not to mention the fact that if the flight is more than a few hours and you've had a day of running around airports before even getting on it, having a fresh T-shirt to change into when you get to your destination can be a god send.

Other basic rules from a fairly well seasoned flyer include.

1) Bring a book. No seriously bring a couple. It doesn't have batteries, flight safe modes or any of that noise to worry about. It's small and easy to stow away at a moments notice. It's a life saver during the innevitable lengthy waits that happen even when everything is going right.

2) Be at the airport a couple of hours before your flight leaves, get to the gate ASAP. It's better to wait there than somewhere else and have to find it in a hurry. Just give yourself enough time to allow for things not going perfectly to plan, as they frequently don't.

3) When getting off the plane, if in doubt, follow the crowd. This will lead you to baggage collection and from there it's usually simple enough to follow signs to your destination. Airports are surprisingly foolproof as far as navigation goes, and from someone who gets lost as much as me that's saying something. So don't worry too much.

4) To get through security without being searched just make sure you take off your belt and shoes, empty your pockets (especially of change). Take off your jacket and make sure your laptop is in a seperate tray out of its bag. If you can have any toiletries in small clear bags (under 100ml only). Pretty much ensure all thats on your person is your shirt, underwear, trousers and socks.

All in all airports and flying isn't hell if you know what to do, it just somehow manages to be stressfull and mindnumbingly dull mostly.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    Also, depending where you are going in Denver -- our airport is in the middle of nowhere.

There is this. If you don't have someone picking you up, a taxi to anywhere populated is going to be way more expensive than at any other major airport. They really screwed up on predicting where the Denver metro area would expand, DIA is literally miles from anything else.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Business or pleasure?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Things to keep in mind: Airlines are really cracking down on carry-ons. If you are using one of the small pieces of luggage and the manufacturer lists the bag as the exact size limit you're allowed, they will often times not include wheels or legs that add an extra inch or two so you go to put your perfectly sized bag in the airline's bag sizer and it won't fit because of the damn wheels.

You do not need photo ID to fly domestically. Should you be on your trip and lose your wallet, don't freak out that you won't be able to make it home, or if you get to the airport on the way there and can't find your ID don't risk missing the flight to go home and get it. You'll get taken aside by TSA, they'll contact the TSA Office of Intelligence and you'll have to answer a series of questions related to you to help verify you are who you say you are.

If you have naturally stinky feet don't take your shoes off on the plane unless you have something to deodorize them. You can be removed from a flight for having a non-medically related odor that passengers complain about, and that includes the people who feel the need to use half a can of Axe body spray on themselves.

If you do bring food to the airport just make sure it doesn't have a gel, liquid, or paste component. A hamburger is fine, but don't try bringing through a bunch of packets of ketchup.

Which airline are you booked on?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    People are saying you should show up 2-3 hours before but that seems really excessive for a domestic flight. I usually show up an hour before a domestic flight and maybe 2 before an international.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    People are saying you should show up 2-3 hours before but that seems really excessive for a domestic flight. I usually show up an hour before a domestic flight and maybe 2 before an international.

It depends on a variety of factors: The weather, what airport you're using, the time of year, the time of day... Better to show up early than late. The airport in my town, I don't need to show up more than an hour early, but traveling from someplace like Denver or Atlanta? Better to do an hour and a half or two hours.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Carry plenty of reading material in your bag. Airports involve a LOT of waiting around.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I usually show up 2hours before my flight. If only because sometimes there are slams of people running through security.

If you can pack everything into a schoolbag backpack, your doing exceedingly better than 90% of flyers. Yes, there are a few airlines, United ESPECIALLY that are cracking down on carry ons. They've expanded their groups from 4 to 8 sets and usually the back half of 7 and 8 have to check their luggage (atm for free) to their final destination. They've actually created this mess because of overcharging for checking bags in the first place.

It makes it a headache for me because I have a backpack for clothes and a carry-on for my work tools/equipment. I've lost luggage before and I sure as heck aint loosing my livlihood to some goon paid 2$ above minimum wage.

/end venting.

Usually flying is pretty decent. For me, its part of my job so Im just getting tired of it after 5years. now personally, I'd rather drive Seattle to Boston than fly it. Seems like a perfectly good use of my time, and if I had a buddy, gas is the same as airfare :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    1. Buy something to eat at any of the vendors before you board your flight, the food from them will guaranteed be a thousand times better than anything you can get on the flight. Airplane food is absoluely god awful, the smell alone can make you wretch.

2. This only happened to me once on a 12 hour flight to London, but if there's a business class section on the same floor as you with a lot of empty seats, don't be afraid to ask to sit in one of them.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It depends on a variety of factors: The weather, what airport you're using, the time of year, the time of day... Better to show up early than late. The airport in my town, I don't need to show up more than an hour early, but traveling from someplace like Denver or Atlanta? Better to do an hour and a half or two hours.

Exactly. If you know your terminals and how security will be, then plan accordingly, but if you show up early and have to spend an hour waiting at the terminal, it means you get to pull out your book/device from your carry-on and relax. If you show up with exactly the right amount of time, you feel every second -- did you get in the right security lane? Are you spending too much time at the ticket counter? Is your gate at the far end of the terminal? And everything ends up a rush as you worry about potentially missing your flight.

And if you show up 5 minutes late, you may miss your flight entirely and end up on standby.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just remember that no matter how well you plan there will always be factors beyond your control that mess things up.

I gave myself an hour and a half for a transfer in Philadelphia to Toronto and ended up only just making my flight after my incoming flight was half an hour late, the baggage carousel broke down for 45 minutes and we had to wait 15 minutes whilst they de-iced the jetway.

Then the door on the plane to Toronto was iced shut and I was bumped to a flight 3 hours later anyway.

I didn't have a single US dollar on me and survived off chips and snacks from the US Airways lounge.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    If you need to charge your phone or laptop you find the first outlet you can and camp on that motherfucker. Some airports have designated charging stations, but those will be filled by business travelers, so finding the odd outlet that the cleaning crew uses to vacuum is the next best bet.

Some airports have free WiFi. Most don't, so be prepared to pay through the nose if you need to get online.

• Options
    Sorry I've been so absent from my own thread! I'll be sure to read every post very soon, but I wanted you all to know that I'm still alive and I appreciate all the advice.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Food-wise after security is normally same prices as everywhere else if you just go into a McDonalds or something like that (fast food chain stuff), if you go somewhere like a pub or sit down restaurant it tends to be a bit pricier than normal but not outrageous.

• Options
    Guess Honolulu is an outlier-- stuff at a Burger King there is generally a buck fifty more compared to stores not in the airport. And that's not the only fast food chain that has raised prices in there.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Its easy, buy your tickets online
    book a place to stay online and look up how to get there
    pack your stuff
    Rock up on the day and fly across the country
    Catch a bus or what have you to where you need to sleep

You have succeeded

I travelled europe alone for 2.5 months, it was rad