As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I would encourage going as whatever makes you feel comfortable and fun. /shrug

Well yeah for most people that's what I'd recommend, but I'm not gonna show up in something that nobody is gonna recognize. Just seems silly to invest a lot of time into something accurate but super obscure.

Yeah I'm more speaking about encouraging other people to /not/ do a particular cosplay more than ideas on one's own cosplay.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I would encourage going as whatever makes you feel comfortable and fun. /shrug

Well yeah for most people that's what I'd recommend, but I'm not gonna show up in something that nobody is gonna recognize. Just seems silly to invest a lot of time into something accurate but super obscure.

Yeah I'm more speaking about encouraging other people to /not/ do a particular cosplay more than ideas on one's own cosplay.

Ah, gotcha. I can understand his frustration though. Every show/game/etc. has that one thing that eeeeeeverybody seems to want to go as and for 40k it's Commissars. It can get a little silly seeing a ton of Commissars and only one or two actual soldiers/heretics/etc., lol.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    Tango wrote: »
    Dear WH40K fans (please note, the following is just my personal opinion, feel free to ignore it):

For the love of the God-Emperor, please stop saying "I know! I'll dress as a COMMISSAR!" There are bajillions (rough estimate) of excellent Commissar cosplays out there already. Be inventive! Come as a tech-priest, or a Tau, or a Necron, or a member of the Navis Nobilite, or a Space Marine Scout, or Malcador the bloody Sigilite!

Don't get me wrong, I love Gaunt's Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain and Commissar Yarrick as much as the next 40K nerd, but there are a disproportionate number of Commissar cosplayers relative to other awesome 40K costume ideas. I know it's fun to walk around pretending to execute heretics, but c'mon, have some imagination ;)

Yours,

- A guy who will probably end up making a really crappy Chaos cultist costume someday, or something ;)

I could say the same about mass effect costumes(especially Shepard). If my math is correct, approximately everyone cosplaying at pax is gonna be in some sort of ME costume(which means I wont recognize pretty much anyone, since its not my cup of tea). Not that I actually care :)

My Deckers(saints row 3) group is back up to 5 after one of our people didn't get a pass in time. Plus the new comer is gonna dress up as the leader, matt miller. I'm gonna have so much work on my hands with this EL wire for all of us, but hopefully our lit up costumes will make a splash. Not that anyone cares, but I'm doing some accessories to get a feel for the wire(a set of goggles and some big headphones), and hopefully they'll come out rad enough that i'll want to post here and share :D

Hey, where do people buy wigs from? I need to get a medium length dark blue one, and I want it to be good quality. Online, or in seattle. There used to be a website that started with an "a" that I used to look at, but I can't recall the name anymore :/

• millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    Wigs are pretty easy to find if you know where to look...find black/ethnic beauty supply stores...seriously...I have found wigs of very nice quality in every color of the rainbow! Not to mention if your "blue" that your looking for is unique you might be able to get a blond/white wig, which are easier to find than a good blue one, and dye it. I don't like buying stuff like wigs or clothing online since you can't try it on or feel for quality

btw...I'm making a Vivi from final fantasy...no ME for me...never even played the game :)

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    So I've started working on a Guqin Sona costume.

Zomg Im dressing up as Dragon Fist Lee Sin!! Imma be hunting you down for a photo!! (>^~^)>

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Robogirl wrote: »

Hey, where do people buy wigs from? I need to get a medium length dark blue one, and I want it to be good quality. Online, or in seattle. There used to be a website that started with an "a" that I used to look at, but I can't recall the name anymore :/

I've also had some good luck with finding import wig vendors on Ebay (especially good ones from Hong Kong, if I recall correctly). I got a dark blue-black one for my Coraline cosplay a few years ago, and people routinely mistook it for my real hair. If you're not in a rush, I recommend doing a little searching there, though you need to use your best judgment as to whether or not the seller involved looks legit.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Remembered something useful to know.

Restrooms, more importantly, how to use them.
    It might seem arbitrary. But I found out of day two that it is useful to know how best to use the restroom.
    haha. Even simple cosplays take a little bit of finagling. So its useful to figure out ahead of time how best to use the restroom, how long it might take, and if its really elaborate, whether you might need a buddy to help get the larger pieces off and back on again.
    Justa bit of fyi.
    :)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    First time to PAX and first time ever attempting to cosplay. I'm planning on doing an as-accurate-as-possible Terry Bogard, although I'm having some trouble finding just the right vest. But I did have a question about crossplaying males. Is there any makeup to be done? Something I should do to make my face manlier? I've already got a fairly boyish body build, but I have a bit of a baby face. :lol:

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Ok. So I've set my mind on two costumes. X-23 and Kasumi from Mass Effect. X-23 will be a breeze but may not fit the whole gaming scene all too much, should I scrap it?

As for Kasumi, I'm working out on sketches as well as finding the right sort of fabric. Does anyone here have any clear images of how her outfit looks like? I know there looks to be layers of her outfit with intricate designs on them. Debating on whether to just layer on their shapes or go on a hunt for certain fabrics. It also doesn't look to be all fabric so I might just fabricate a bit of "hardware" on her "armor" looking clothing.

Cool! You and I should get photos taken together. I'm gonna be wearing the dress Kasumi gave to Shepard.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Sn1122Sn1122 Registered User regular

Did you mean Arda?
    I use arda wigs, I find they have great quality and great customer service.

http://arda-wigs.com/

Cool! You and I should get photos taken together. I'm gonna be wearing the dress Kasumi gave to Shepard.
    THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!!! Hopefully my outfit looks good. Otherwise I will just fail in that picture haha

you and me both. I haven't even begun collecting materials, let alone construction yet.
    :/

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @LinkSmash
    As far as references go for anything ME, try checking out
    http://troodon80.deviantart.com/gallery/32481208

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • geekyglamorousgeekyglamorous Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Finances permitting I'll be rocking Liara from Mass Effect in her ME3 white armor outfit. I'm really excited about this costume undertaking but also really freaked out. I'm so excited to meet other Mass Effect cosplayers. Let's hope BioWare has a presence at the con.

Sn1122 wrote: »

Like mentioned above Arda is a great, there is also http://www.amphigory.com/wigs.html

Personally I buy all my wigs off Ebay. They CAN be hit or miss but just check feedback and if the stock images look sketchy/stolen move on to a different seller.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    LinkSmash wrote: »
    X-23 will be a breeze but may not fit the whole gaming scene all too much, should I scrap it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbkfGiHTymc

I think you'll be fine. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Sn1122 wrote: »

Did you mean Arda?
    I use arda wigs, I find they have great quality and great customer service.

http://arda-wigs.com/

Nope, I figured it out, it was amphigory. Arda has a wig I like, though, so I may end up getting that one. Thanks!

I have a question. Has anyone, as a cosplayer, used a calling card of sorts? Something to hand out after folks take your picture? I'm thinking of using my left over East trading cards to get my name out there, hopefully to get more pictures to find their way back to me. Has anyone done anything similar to this?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    I have a question. Has anyone, as a cosplayer, used a calling card of sorts? Something to hand out after folks take your picture? I'm thinking of using my left over East trading cards to get my name out there, hopefully to get more pictures to find their way back to me. Has anyone done anything similar to this?

I have and still do, it's a great way to promote your website, deviant art or whatever. I prefer though when it's the photogs that hand out cards. I check all my cards after the con to see see the photo they snapped of me. It's much more convenient then trying to sift through a bunch of Google results for PAX pics after the con.

your trading cards are good to use for that, also http://us.moo.com/products/minicards.html

Oohh those are pretty, and way cool. Maybe for next year, once I run out of trading cards. I think I managed to give away 8-10 of them for actual trading. I completely forgot I had them I was so caught up in the fun of cosplay.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Oohh those are pretty, and way cool. Maybe for next year, once I run out of trading cards. I think I managed to give away 8-10 of them for actual trading. I completely forgot I had them I was so caught up in the fun of cosplay.

side-thought: did you consider mailing trading cards to dave? you can get a ton by mail!

I honestly didn't know about that. My life took a turn for the topsy turvy right after Pax, so I didn't get a chance to check some of the threads very much afterwards.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    X-23 will be a breeze but may not fit the whole gaming scene all too much, should I scrap it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbkfGiHTymc

I think you'll be fine. :D

YES! Thank you! haha Now I am determined!

@LinkSmash
    As far as references go for anything ME, try checking out
    http://troodon80.deviantart.com/gallery/32481208

Thank you! I was Googling and idiot me didn't figure to use DeviantArt! Psh I fail already haha Thanks!

• jag986jag986 Registered User regular
    After seeing The Avengers tonight I really wanted to make a Loki costume. I imagine there'll be a few, but I was a big fan of Loki in a suit. Any help on how to give something a healthy glow?

Get it pregnant.

• HemisphereHemisphere Registered User regular
    Ok. So I've set my mind on two costumes. X-23 and Kasumi from Mass Effect. X-23 will be a breeze but may not fit the whole gaming scene all too much, should I scrap it?

As for Kasumi, I'm working out on sketches as well as finding the right sort of fabric. Does anyone here have any clear images of how her outfit looks like? I know there looks to be layers of her outfit with intricate designs on them. Debating on whether to just layer on their shapes or go on a hunt for certain fabrics. It also doesn't look to be all fabric so I might just fabricate a bit of "hardware" on her "armor" looking clothing.

http://troodon80.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-2-Kasumi-Model-Reference-270826111?q=gallery:troodon80/32481208&qo=336 there you go :) Outstanding source for ME reference images.

Thank you again everyone! I ran into a bit of good news today and got myself a ticket for my sister!!! WHICH TOTALLY MEANS SHE WILL COSPLAY TOO! She's done more cosplaying than me so I'm going to follow her lead. Along with my x-23 cosplay, she's going to be another character from UMVC3 so we're going to duel it out at PAX. I am so excited. haha :X

• RoraDawnRoraDawn Registered User new member
    ahaha I almost hate to say it because its so overdone but I'm going as Skyward Sword Link :) been wanting to do a Link cosplay for a long time

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    RoraDawn wrote: »
    ahaha I almost hate to say it because its so overdone but I'm going as Skyward Sword Link :) been wanting to do a Link cosplay for a long time

Ooooo, since you're going to cosplaying as Link, you should find a golden bug and give it to me! I'm cosplaying as Agitha (from Twilight Princess) and I'm going to try this thing where I hide golden bugs all over the convention center with a card telling people to find me. They get prizes for doing so and I was planning on giving something extra special to Link cosplayers. Dunno how well it will work since PAX is SO FREAKING HUGE, but I'm planning on hiding 250-500 bugs and getting maybe 20-30 back. If that.

• bkrobinbkrobin Roseburg, ORRegistered User regular
    jag986 wrote: »
    After seeing The Avengers tonight I really wanted to make a Loki costume. I imagine there'll be a few, but I was a big fan of Loki in a suit. Any help on how to give something a healthy glow?

Get it pregnant.
    My dogs looked at me like I was crazy when I started laughing after reading this!

You're going to do a cosplay of me?! I'm honored! :P jk

vgc wrote: »

Ooooo, since you're going to cosplaying as Link, you should find a golden bug and give it to me! I'm cosplaying as Agitha (from Twilight Princess) and I'm going to try this thing where I hide golden bugs all over the convention center with a card telling people to find me. They get prizes for doing so and I was planning on giving something extra special to Link cosplayers. Dunno how well it will work since PAX is SO FREAKING HUGE, but I'm planning on hiding 250-500 bugs and getting maybe 20-30 back. If that.

Wow! That's a really cool idea. Be sure to post a picture of what they look like here so I can keep an eye out for them :D I always miss out on the cook pax scavenger hunt type things.

That is really cool. I want one! If I find two, can I keep one of them?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have a question about having speakers on costumes. I originally thought that it would come off as annoying... "Hey everyone, listen to my theme music!! der hurrr!" But at ECCC, I realized the ambient noise level in the Sky Bridge or any other part of the Exhibition hall makes any small portable-style speakers nearly impossible to hear more than 10 feet away no matter how loud you have them. There was one Ghostbuster constantly looping "Who Ya Gonna Call" out of some small belt-mounted portable speakers, and it didn't come off as annoying because you couldn't really hear it unless you were standing right next to them. (And that song gets old fast.)

What do you think, guys... Do audio-emitting cosplays come off as troll? Or should I add some small speakers to the Foreigner Belt?
    dMtl0.jpg

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
    Initialdor wrote: »
    I have a question about having speakers on costumes. I originally thought that it would come off as annoying... "Hey everyone, listen to my theme music!! der hurrr!" But at ECCC, I realized the ambient noise level in the Sky Bridge or any other part of the Exhibition hall makes any small portable-style speakers nearly impossible to hear more than 10 feet away no matter how loud you have them. There was one Ghostbuster constantly looping "Who Ya Gonna Call" out of some small belt-mounted portable speakers, and it didn't come off as annoying because you couldn't really hear it unless you were standing right next to them. (And that song gets old fast.)

What do you think, guys... Do audio-emitting cosplays come off as troll? Or should I add some small speakers to the Foreigner Belt?
    dMtl0.jpg

Personally, I don't have a problem with them, so do what makes you happy. Like you said, there's so much noise at pax that it's not like you'll be broadcasting everywhere. I would put an on off switch, though, for the sake of your sanity.

• bkrobinbkrobin Roseburg, ORRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a good place to buy face makeup? I need black and white that will be thick enough to cover me and last all day without getting all gross and cakey. I only need enough for my face and neck so I don't want to have to buy huge amounts/really expensive.

• millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    I'd say a noise making device becomes troll-y with how often the noise is heard. Once every minute or so I think would be okay but can you imagine "who ya gonna call" repeating over and over without ANY pause?! That would be super bad imo.

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • RoraDawnRoraDawn Registered User new member

ooo I'll definitely keep an eye out for that! hm I think I need to play twilight princess again cause I have no recollection of this character...it's been a few years since I've played it XD well I'll be walking around with a Groose so hopefully we can spot each other!

This discussion has been closed.