As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ravnica Resurgence: Magic the Gathering

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The place I play tourneys at asks that people not have their phones out during games. We had a guy who was basically texting his friend who was a pro player on what he should do in tough spots.
    But yeah, I could roll a dice.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    drp527 wrote: »
    j59nojdd7f_en.jpg
    I am imagining the tears in limited if this thing is ever successfully flickered

and now I want to pull it off

You've got options now to just fucking hard cast it. Somberwald Sages and the nany nany can't counter me land could leave to a very bad day to whomever is on the receiving end.

• Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    play it, watch the suffering begin

flicker it with any of the multitude of effects in blue and white (though running 3+ colors probably is not a smart move) and watch their field rapidly fall off the board

especially if you can stick Nephalia Smuggler and hexproof him or something, just start having it trigger once per turn until there is nothing left

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ghost Flicker is one of the new cards that will work very nicely with that

also it's a red blue combo

everyone knows red blue is the best colour combo

• Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    red/blue is probably the one that holds my attention the most, others have plenty of fun things (especially blue/white just for having my favorite pair of enchantments of all time) but just don't interest me as much

except green/black Golgari forever

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    I'm definately aiming for u/r with a green splash for some miracle shenanigans. I just hope the clock I put people on will be good enough.

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Anyone else afraid that AVR limited is going to be a horrible mess?

Bombs everywhere, silly topdecks, complicated board states with soulbond, and Burn at the Stake. My god, Burn at the Stake.

• Options
    see all those things make it sound like so much fun to me (ok maybe not the complicated board state part but soulbond in and of itself doesn't sound too confusing to me)

basically a game where it could swing either way at any moment is my favorite kind of game

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    burn at the stake is... well

has there been a shift to tokens or something? i haven't played in a while

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    There are few different token decks that are viable right now.

I would say its a sideboard card

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Okay yes, Flicker-Tyrant looks like the kind of deck I'd love to build. The problem is, he's so expensive, I feel like I'm going to need some ramp to get him out at a reasonable speed. That pretty much means adding green.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    With the 3 mana druids, you could cast a 6 drop turn 3 in a perfect world.

Meiz on
  • Options
    I just noticed we only got 2 Wolfir in the entire set, and outside of them only one reference to them in flavor text

well now I am kinda disappointed, I was really hoping that they'd find a way to keep werewolves unique and interesting after removing transform (not to say the two we got are bad, just that there should be more of them)

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Yea, it feels like after two sets they kinda just gave up on werewolves as a design element. I actually have a hunch that the design team changed entirely for AVR - this set doesn't feel very much like the previous two in terms of power level or design style at all.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had hoped for a bit more of that support they had promised, but that three drop fits perfectly into my deck and gives me something to drop and let my mayor transform at the sae time.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Well story wise at this point its all about demons, angels, and humans. So it kind of makes sense?

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well story wise at this point its all about demons, angels, and humans. So it kind of makes sense?

pretty much, though Avacyn said (in the flavor text of that third card) that she converted them to Wolfirs to make them allies in her war against the demons, so I still think they could've fit more than 2 into the set

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Pulled Avacyn in the Helvault today, all the games I won were either due to her or to Wolfir Silverheart. That guy is so busted, I love him.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

pretty much, though Avacyn said (in the flavor text of that third card) that she converted them to Wolfirs to make them allies in her war against the demons, so I still think they could've fit more than 2 into the set

We're looking at all the ones that decided to be Wolfir instead of being made human again, I think.

• Options
    so a new pair of duel decks got announced

and it's Izzet vs. Golgari

my two favorite guilds yessssssss
    also there's a chance that there'll be stuff from new Rav in them but something about precedence says probably not the headlining mythics, despite the duel deck description explicitly mentioning a Golgari guild leader who never showed up as a card (and not mentioning Savra at all) so I don't know how things are going to go on that front

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• Options
    PF25U.jpg

really liking this image they put out with it, but I don't know if I'd prefer this or the original Niv art on the inevitable one that gets printed in the decks

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options

also there's a chance that there'll be stuff from new Rav in them but something about precedence says probably not the headlining mythics, despite the duel deck description explicitly mentioning a Golgari guild leader who never showed up as a card (and not mentioning Savra at all) so I don't know how things are going to go on that front

also for the record re: the spoiler
    Golgari's guild leader is Svogthir

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

was, up until the events of the Ravnica storyline wherein he gets overthrown by the gorgons, reanimated by Savra then has his soul imprisoned by her when she takes the role, then she gets killed off and her brother Jarad (the one mentioned in the deck description) takes over, dies, reanimates himself like Svogthir did, and is supposedly still leader at the end of Rav block

Svogthir himself is still kinda M.I.A. though and I would love it if someone known as the god zombie came back into power so

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

was, up until the events of the Ravnica storyline wherein he gets overthrown by the gorgons, reanimated by Savra then has his soul imprisoned by her when she takes the role, then she gets killed off and her brother Jarad (the one mentioned in the deck description) takes over, dies, reanimates himself like Svogthir did, and is supposedly still leader at the end of Rav block

Svogthir himself is still kinda M.I.A. though and I would love it if someone known as the god zombie came back into power so
    i keep forgetting that magic stuff is actually COHERENT and they wouldn't just grab stuff from the past for the sake of doing so :p

yeah Jarad probably is gonna be there

• Options
    Avacyn Restored is, like, my favorite draft set in forever holy crap.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Every color in this set is great in limited. It's amazing.

• Options
    I had to miss both the pre-release and release because finals, but those are done now and this weekend I'll be picking up a box with some friends and we're holding our own mini-draft

this set has just seemed like the greatest thing for limited and I am really looking forward to it

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    PF25U.jpg

really liking this image they put out with it, but I don't know if I'd prefer this or the original Niv art on the inevitable one that gets printed in the decks

Both of them are sweeeeeeet!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Blah misinterpreted the art

Antimatter on
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Oh man. So I have been thinking about making a red/white deck, and the Avacyn intro pack was such a great excuse to start from there. So I picked it up this afternoon.

And the booster pack contained Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. So that's pretty much the best deal on a single MTG purchase I ever made. I'm so happy about this set.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    a6TRv.png

looking forward to playing around with this thing in M13 that seems pretty fun

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So I'm playing a Werewolf deck now for type 2 and was hoping for some critique.

Creatures
    3 Young Wolves
    2 Reckless Waifs
    4 Hinterland Hermits
    1 Village Ironsmith
    3 Mayor of Avabruck
    3 Wolfir Avengers
    1 Kruin Outlaw
    3 Pyreheart Wolf
    3 Immerwolf
    3 Briarpack Alpha

Spells
    3 Prey Upon
    2 Hunger of the Howlpack
    1 Full moons rise
    3 Moonmists
    2 Descendants Path
    1 Natural End

Land
    11 Forrest
    11 Mountain

The goal right now is to hit my opponent early and keep him off balance and getting a Mayor, Descendants Path, and Immerwolf out to build a constant attack force. I think I need a another Outlaw, one or more Huntmaster of the fells and a couple Mondronen Shamans.

I'm not sure what the best way to defend against air but I plan to put some afflicted Deserted in my side deck to deal with Artifacts.

I'm thinking of throwing in four Champion of Lambholts so that as Descendants and the Mayors and Huntmasters bring inmore and more creatures he gets stronger.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Type 2 like FNM or type 2 like with friends or type 2 like at an event?

• Options
    Tournaments at the local place.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Tournaments at the local place.

Depending on how competitive your local meta is this is probably not going to work out terribly well. But it may not be all that competitive, so the best thing I can think of to do on a relatively light budget is to get some thunder bolts. You really want more reckless waifs in it, all 4 if possible, since it's a much better card than everything else you've got in here. Same goes for 4 Daybreak Rangers if you can. Prey Upon will usually be a dead card. By the time you resolve it the threats your creature base will be facing will make it radically outclassed. Better direct damage is recommended, things like gut shot in particular.

The Good Doctor Tran on
  • Options
    So what my general issue here? Are werewolf decks just plain not competitive? Or am I just going about it wrong?

I thought Kurin Outlaw and the Mayor seemed pretty great.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    get a playset of bonfire of the damned

for the love of god

• Options
    Why?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    because bonfire of the damned is an excellent removal spell