As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Is there some magic combination of settings that will play sounds through my headphones, even when I have the vibration lock on? I want it to be silent/vibrating when I have no headphones in, but when I put the headphones in, play the sounds. Yes I could just unlock it, but a lot of times I forget to relock it when I am at work and pop my headphones out.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it should already do what you're asking. Is there any chance you have a bunch of pocket fuzz jammed in the headphone jack, stopping it from going in all the way?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is there some magic combination of settings that will play sounds through my headphones, even when I have the vibration lock on? I want it to be silent/vibrating when I have no headphones in, but when I put the headphones in, play the sounds. Yes I could just unlock it, but a lot of times I forget to relock it when I am at work and pop my headphones out.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it should already do what you're asking. Is there any chance you have a bunch of pocket fuzz jammed in the headphone jack, stopping it from going in all the way?

It's a possibility...but when I unlock the slider on the side (the one next to the volume buttons), I will hear the sounds fine. I thought it used to act just like you said, but recently hasn't been. I thought maybe I had twiddled a setting wrong.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

It's a possibility...but when I unlock the slider on the side (the one next to the volume buttons), I will hear the sounds fine. I thought it used to act just like you said, but recently hasn't been. I thought maybe I had twiddled a setting wrong.

As long as you don't have the mute switch on, and you have vibration turn on (while both muted, and not muted), it should do exactly what you're asking for.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Important question. I just bought a bluetooth earpiece so that I can listen to music on my iPod touch 4th Gen at work without having wires and looking unprofessional. I paired the headset, but I can't get it to play through the iPod. If I press the button on the headset I can activate the voice control prompt and tell it to do things. If I tell it to play music it still plays through the iPod speaker. Nothing works, I've even read the Apple manual on bluetooth pairing and it's just not working. Anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Edit: Or is it just a pipe dream and bluetooth headsets only work, and not mono earpieces?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Your Bluetooth headset needs to support it. Sounds like the one you got doesn't.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Most BT headsets made for talking (single ear) don't support music playback. You'll need a pair of Bluetooth headphones specifically made for listening to music.

Most BT headsets made for talking (single ear) don't support music playback. You'll need a pair of Bluetooth headphones specifically made for listening to music.

Mine works fine - so some will support it. There's a level of BT compatibility the headset needs to support. I couldn't find it with some quick googling.

For reference, I have a Jawbone ICON.

Six wrote: »

Mine works fine - so some will support it. There's a level of BT compatibility the headset needs to support. I couldn't find it with some quick googling.

Right, some support it, but most don't. It's A2DP that's required for this to work. Most all recent Jawbone products work, but the majority of cheap bluetooth earpieces don't bother.

I have a Plantronics Backbeat, which are bluetooth stereo headphones that work nicely for running.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Are there any good IRC apps? A quick browse saw several that cost $2-5.

I tried a couple free ones a few months ago, and wasn't impressed. Haven't checked anything recently.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Right, some support it, but most don't. It's A2DP that's required for this to work. Most all recent Jawbone products work, but the majority of cheap bluetooth earpieces don't bother.

I have a Plantronics Backbeat, which are bluetooth stereo headphones that work nicely for running.
    The sad thing is that my ear piece isn't a cheep one though, it was 70 bucks.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Price isn't everything.

What model do you have? It may be possible it supports A2DP after a firmware upgrade.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Are there any good IRC apps? A quick browse saw several that cost $2-5.

http://colloquy.mobi/

That's the one I have and use(d). Works pretty well.

Just found a lost pair of BT headphones (Motorola S9.) And then I recalled why I stopped using them; prior to...iOS 4, I think, iOS didn't support A2DP, so stuff didn't work right on'em. Now it works great, including one-button Siri activation, play/pause, next/prev, etc. Several years old, but still a solid headset.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Are there any apps that push notifications from your iPhone to your Mac? I keep my phone on silent all the time and it'd be nice to know if I was getting a call or a text at times.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Are there any apps that push notifications from your iPhone to your Mac? I keep my phone on silent all the time and it'd be nice to know if I was getting a call or a text at times.

Only in the jailbreak world.

Pretty sure there are jb apps for just that, though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    that would be pretty cool

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    This might do what you're looking for, kind of.

Not quite like a Growl notification or anything but it could be worth trying.

Price isn't everything.

What model do you have? It may be possible it supports A2DP after a firmware upgrade.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish™+Mobile+-+Bluetooth+Headset/1011437.p?id=1218208321071&skuId=1011437&st=Rocketfish bluetooth&cp=1&lp=2
    I have this one.

You're out of luck.

"Sorry, it's Rocketfish."

-little known company motto

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just had a pretty good experience with Apple's Geniuses. My 4S was starting to have flakey wifi performance. It would drop known networks frequently, and would often not be able to scan for networks. For someone with a pretty small data plan, I knew that could get expensive if I wasn't paying attention. One trip to the Genius Bar, and I had a shiny new 4S that holds onto a wifi signal like... something holding onto... something else... hard...

Phones seem to be the sort of devices where things just go wrong. I've never owned a phone that didn't develop some problem after a while. So, it's quite nice to have a physical store to go to, where they can so quickly and painlessly deal with it. My dad's HTC Desire had a few issues as well, and every time they popped up, he'd have to go to our carrier's store and generally deal with their humming and hawing for a while, and wait a few days for a replacement.

Restoring the new one from my iCloud backup was a bit of a pain, though. Turns out things were doing what they were supposed to be doing... I just didn't know it. So, just as an FYI to anyone having to do this: If you have iTunes Match, once you restore from an iCloud backup, all the songs you previously had on your phone will be re-downloaded automatically. This proved problematic for me for two reasons:

1) I only have 500mb of data every month. Once I THOUGHT my phone was done restoring, I put my phone in my pocket on the way home on the train, and realized it had gone through about half that during the half hour train ride. I had no idea what it was downloading at the time, so I ended up turning the thing off until I got home and could connect over wifi. And...

2) These downloads seem to take priority and force some apps you need to re-download to the end of the queue. So, I was restarting the thing over and over again trying to get some of these apps to start downloading.

But, yeah, once I found out that iTunes Match was being a bit gluttonous, everything was fine. It was all "just working"... just not how I expected it to ;)

floobie on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    For people with smartcovers: how strong are the magnets supposed to be? If I hold the ipad upside down, the cover on the edge opposite of its hinge holds firm against the screen, but the fatter middle magnet hangs down a bit. Is that normal?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited May 2012
    Septus wrote: »
    For people with smartcovers: how strong are the magnets supposed to be? If I hold the ipad upside down, the cover on the edge opposite of its hinge holds firm against the screen, but the fatter middle magnet hangs down a bit. Is that normal?

"middle magnet"?

The smart cover only has two areas with magnets. A series of magnets in the hinge that holds it on, and a single magnet on the opposite edge to hold it shut/activate the lock/unlock feature. That magnet isn't terrible strong. Just enough to hold the cover closed, but not if you flap it around or hold it upside down.

minor incident on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Ah, I hadn't tested it, but I just assumed that each of the rigid parts of the cover were magnets.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Well it happened. I don't know how but it happened. I managed to use my gig of data before the month was out. So I turned off the cellular. Fun fact- if I'm browsing the web and the wifi cuts out, it will prompt me to buy more cell bandwidth. It's going to be a fun 10 days, I've gotten really spoiled with access to the net everywhere!

So I'm expecting to receive an iPad this weekend, and I've been trying to plan ahead regarding what accessories I'm going to want to buy so I can get fully geared ASAP once I get it.

I think I want the iPad to be generally as naked as possible when I handle it, as I've found myself realizing with things like my Kindle that I regret putting on a cover, which as nice as it is, ends up making the device twice as thick and twice as heavy.

The plan:
    Dodo BOOKback, because so many people have raved over it
    Standard Apple Smart Cover, in leather
    Waterfield SleeveCase - since I've overall been pretty happy with the one I got for my Air.

Good plan? Are there 3rd party Smart Covers better than the Apple version? Better sleeve-like cases I should be considering for when I'm on the go?

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Sounds like a decent plan. You could consider ditching the smart cover and just keeping it in the sleeve whenever its being kept anywhere the screen could be damaged, that's what i do. I personally roll with the bookback, a 20$ fake leather sleeve, and a Belkin Flip Blade adjustable stand

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    You could consider ditching the smart cover and just keeping it in the sleeve whenever its being kept anywhere the screen could be damaged, that's what i do.

I considered that, but I can't tell how much I'm going to desire or not care about the auto-sleep / auto-wake aspect.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    isn't that just the same as hitting the button? hitting the button is pretty easy

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    So the auto-sleep/wake feature isn't neato enough to make me shed a tear of distilled liquid joy each time it is invoked?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Speaking as someone who doesn't have it (iPad 1) I would love that shit.

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    I have this case for my iPad (gen 3) along with the smart cover: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JGBF2K/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00 I really like it a lot. It doesn't really add any weight and it does a good job of keeping the smart cover in place as well.

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I was just coming here to ask what smart cover-compatible cases people are using. I got an iSkin Solo Smart, which I like a lot, except that it's got this bit that locks the smart cover on and the teeth that lock it on are really jagged on the edges, and happen to be right where my left hand sits when I'm holding it, so the case is always stabbing me in the palm.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Incipio Smart Feather. And the Incase Snap Case looks good too, but I've read that it tends to crack at the corners.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I also use and heartily approve the Incipio Smart Feather.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    isn't that just the same as hitting the button? hitting the button is pretty easy

Hitting the button then sliding the slider, reduced to "flip" and done? It's pretty handy most of the time. Barely worth it if you password lock though.
    Same basic principle behind why I prefer sliders to candybar phones; I can unlock the thing with my thumb as I'm pulling it out of my pocket instead of having to find the right buttons etc.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    elevature wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Incipio Smart Feather. And the Incase Snap Case looks good too, but I've read that it tends to crack at the corners.

I've had mine since the iPad launch week and have seen no cracking and my iPad is in use almost every day

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I got the Joy SmartFit2 for my iPad 3 for only $9 shipped a while back.. I use it with the SmartCover and it works fine for me.

It's a bit more now but still pretty inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartFit2-AAD116-Smart-Compatible-Snap-On/dp/B004VB9NJI

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Greenp0ison released Absinthe 2.0 for iOS 5.1.1 devices today, and it jailbreaks (untethered!) all of them except for the recent re-release of the iPad 2 16GB; including the iPhone 4s and the new iPad.

If you want to play around in the jailbreak sandbox, now is a time to google-fu greenp0ison and get in on the fun.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Okay, BiteSMS is a vastly, VASTLY superior iOS SMS app.

I will keep my phone jailbroken forever to not lose this functionality. this is the best texting I have ever had.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    What bluetooth/docked keyboards do people use? Any cases that go well with those?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    What bluetooth/docked keyboards do people use? Any cases that go well with those?

I've not used any of them, but people seem to love the new Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover. I have to admit that it's an attractive looking piece of tech. Tempted to get one myself even though I don't think I'd ever use it.

steam_sig.png