As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers have assembled! (pretty much just the Marvel movie thread now with some comics)

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Interesting. Reading the wiki.
    that guy seems pretty out-there and otherworldly... but I guess you need something dangerous as fuck to a) challenge the Avengers, and b) top the current movie!
    Yup. In many ways he's more understandable and crazier than Darkseid. I can't believe he actually appeared in a live action big budget movie, and a spitting image from his comic self at that. The public will love to hate him when he finally becomes a big bad.

Re. the above spoiler (Avengers ending spoiler)
    I felt the same way - when he stood up and I saw the shape of his outfit, I was all 'no way, not him of all things, he's just too far out.' But there you have it.

I almost feel like this is Marvel getting a head start over a potential Justice League film - Darkseid is the obvious villain to go for in that case, but now Marvel will have introduced an evil god-like cosmic tyrant first, even though Darkseid is arguably a better one comics-wise.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    that guy seems pretty out-there and otherworldly... but I guess you need something dangerous as fuck to a) challenge the Avengers, and b) top the current movie!
    Yup. In many ways he's more understandable and crazier than Darkseid. I can't believe he actually appeared in a live action big budget movie, and a spitting image from his comic self at that. The public will love to hate him when he finally becomes a big bad.

I felt the same way - when he stood up and I saw the shape of his outfit, I was all 'no way, not him of all things, he's just too far out.' But there you have it.

I almost feel like this is Marvel getting a head start over a potential Justice League film - Darkseid is the obvious villain to go for in that case, but now Marvel will have introduced an evil god-like cosmic tyrant first, even though Darkseid is arguably a better one comics-wise.

Okay I'm confused. Those are DC properties, right, not Marvel?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Yes, but
    Darkseid is the obvious choice fora Justice League team up. Thanos is very similar, so now if DC ever stops sucking at things not Batman they'll look like copycats to the plebes.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Darkseid is a DC character, Thanos is a Marvel character.

Marvel already beat them to a "Justice League" movie with Avengers. Avengers spoiler
    Thanos was just the icing on the cake.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Darkseid is basically the DC version of Marvel's Thanos, i.e., a giant ugly space-god who doesn't have much of a goal or plan beyond tearing shit up and making life miserable for everyone who isn't himself.

They're actually pretty terrible villains, from the standpoint of being able to use them in a dynamic narrative. "Because I'm an evil bastard" is a fairly thin motivation.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

So far all the wiki plotline summaries I've read barely even mention the Avengers though. It's like
    Captain Marvel and Silver Surfer and Warlock and cosmic what the fuck power gems oh also the Avengers show up for the big fight at the end. But they get captured and spider-man saves them.

wat

spool32 on
    Ah OK, that's what I thought. I'm just unclear about the logistics of comic book universe crossovers. If it's even doable, if it's doable but prohibitively expensive, since the asking price to the rights to a character can often be too high, etc.

I thought maybe somebody had new information regarding Disney's production company purchases. Pixar, Marvel...what's next, you know?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ross, dude, spoiler that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Darkseid is basically the DC version of
    Marvel's Thanos
    , i.e., a giant ugly space-god who doesn't have much of a goal or plan beyond tearing shit up and making life miserable for everyone who isn't himself.

They're actually pretty terrible villains, from the standpoint of being able to use them in a dynamic narrative. "Because I'm an evil bastard" is a fairly thin motivation.

Hey, hey, hey...one of them clearly has motivation/goal:
    Thanos totally wants to get balls deep in Death.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited May 2012
    Darkseid is basically the DC version of Marvel's Thanos, i.e., a giant ugly space-god who doesn't have much of a goal or plan beyond tearing shit up and making life miserable for everyone who isn't himself.

Thanos is vastly deeper in complexity to Darkseid. Jim Stalin gave him a nihilist philosophy then it was built on and evolved through the decades whereas Darkseid has remained fairly stagnant in personality.

Harry Dresden on

So far all the wiki plotline summaries I've read barely even mention the Avengers though. It's like
    Captain Marvel and Silver Surfer and Warlock and cosmic what the fuck power gems oh also the Avengers show up for the big fight at the end. But they get captured and spider-man saves them.

wat
    Thanos is a universal threat. When he shows up things are about to get real. It's true that he's generally an Adam Warlock or Surfer villain but there's no reason he can't be in the Avengers rogues gallery. He's fought Thor a few times, as well.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    In regards to a potential Justice League movie, Marvel pretty much shot DC in the foot before they could even start.
    I've always felt DC's biggest weaknesses was in terms of villains. With Marvel opening up space aliens and following up with Thanos, what does that leave the Justice League to get up for? they don't have much to worth with.

Basically all the threats that Superman ever needs help with come from space

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    Matrias wrote: »
    In regards to a potential Justice League movie, Marvel pretty much shot DC in the foot before they could even start.
    I've always felt DC's biggest weaknesses was in terms of villains. With Marvel opening up space aliens and following up with Thanos, what does that leave the Justice League to get up for? they don't have much to worth with.

A great observation. It is literally a comic book universe Space Race.

edited May 2012

DC has many incredible villains, they just need to execute them well. It can be done like the Justice League, Teen Titans & Young Justice cartoons have proved.

Harry Dresden on
    edited May 2012
    Done well Darkseid, Imperiex, some sort of Luthor inspired team up would be pretty cool to see, even if it is stepping on Marvel's toes a bit.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2012

DC has many incredible villains, they just need to execute them well. It can be done like the Justice League, Teen Titans & Young Justice cartoons have proved.
    They have serviceable villains, but aside from Luther or the Joker they don't have anything iconic like Marvel does. Meanwhile Marvel is rolling it in with guys Dr. Doom, Loki, Magneto, Red Skull, the Kingpin, and the Green Goblin.

Shame Magneto, Doom, and Osborn are tied up in other studios.

Matrias on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

wat
    Thanos is a universal threat. When he shows up things are about to get real. It's true that he's generally an Adam Warlock or Surfer villain but there's no reason he can't be in the Avengers rogues gallery. He's fought Thor a few times, as well.
    He seems like he'd be too big of a threat for a second movie.
    I mean, this isn't the Red Skull who wants to take over the planet, or an alien race looking to raise a little hell over the weekend, or Loki who'd rather like to rule humanity (maybe). This is Thanos, he wants to wipe out half the population of the galaxy.
    It seems like the Avengers would be a little out of his league this early on.

Maybe as a behind the scenes big bad in 2 (as opposed to his current place as behind the behind t he scenes bad guy), then as the actual big bad in Avengers 3. Give the Avengers a chance to bulk out the team a little with new heroes getting their intros in their own movies, then end with Stark or Fury showing up, giving them a business card and inviting them to a barbecue at Avengers Tower next week or something.

edited May 2012
    see317 wrote: »

wat
    I mean, this isn't the Red Skull who wants to take over the planet, or an alien race looking to raise a little hell over the weekend, or Loki who'd rather like to rule humanity (maybe). This is Thanos, he wants to wipe out half the population of the galaxy.

Maybe as a behind the scenes big bad in 2 (as opposed to his current place as behind the behind t he scenes bad guy), then as the actual big bad in Avengers 3. Give the Avengers a chance to bulk out the team a little with new heroes getting their intros in their own movies, then end with Stark or Fury showing up, giving them a business card and inviting them to a barbecue at Avengers Tower next week or something.

I agree with that. The next Avengers movie is supposed to be
    a more intimidate affair, which they've implied might be a Civil War adaption. The Avengers might boost their ranks from that before dealing with Thanos in the 3rd movie.
    They have serviceable villains, but aside from Luther or the Joker they don't have anything iconic like Marvel does. Meanwhile Marvel is rolling it in with guys Dr. Doom, Loki, Magneto, Red Skull, the Kingpin, and the Green Goblin.

The only reason they aren't iconic yet is because they haven't been in good films. There's plenty with the potential to be the next Luthor or Magneto with the proper execution. WB/DC has made it easier over the last decade by giving the obscure super-villains places to show their stuff in animation. Smallville was hit and miss, with a few promising versions. It's a good first step to being iconic. The hard part is getting the film division to do their end competently, which they've failed miserably excluding Burton's & Nolan's Batman films and Superman 1 & 2.

Doom, Magneto & Osborn being with another company is good for everybody. Marvel gets to reap the profits and keep their franchises going while they focus on brining the obscure super-villains to the public. It's already worked wonders with their films so far. I'd like to see the FF back eventually, Marvel's Doom would be incredible.

Harry Dresden on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Civil War was a pretty bad story idea for the Marvel Universe. I am all for the team beating each other up in the traditional fashion over a misunderstanding, but I want to see them fucking up Kang, or Ultron, or the Masters of Evil at the end of the movie.

I agree that Civil War doesn't really work in the MCU, at least for the foreseeable future.

I would counter, however, that I do want to see Captain America beat the shit out of Iron Man.

see317 wrote: »

wat

I agree with that. The next Avengers movie is supposed to be
    a more intimidate affair, which they've implied might be a Civil War adaption. The Avengers might boost their ranks from that before dealing with Thanos in the 3rd movie.

The only reason they aren't iconic yet is because they haven't been in good films. There's plenty with the potential to be the next Luthor or Magneto with the proper execution. WB/DC has made it easier over the last decade by giving the obscure super-villains places to show their stuff in animation. Smallville was hit and miss, with a few promising versions. It's a good first step to being iconic. The hard part is getting the film division to do their end competently, which they've failed miserably excluding Burton's & Nolan's Batman films and Superman 1 & 2.

Doom, Magneto & Osborn being with another company is good for everybody. Marvel gets to reap the profits and keep their franchises going while they focus on brining the obscure super-villains to the public. It's already worked wonders with their films so far. I'd like to see the FF back eventually, Marvel's Doom would be incredible.
    Those Marvel villains were iconic before they were ever featured in films.

jdarksun wrote: »
    I think you mean "get his shit beat by", because there's no other way that makes sense.

Nope.
    1100727-1005299_983102_096_civil_war__7_cbr___page_19_super_super_super.jpg

edited May 2012
    Tomanta wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I think you mean "get his shit beat by", because there's no other way that makes sense.

Nope.
    1100727-1005299_983102_096_civil_war__7_cbr___page_19_super_super_super.jpg
    Won't fly in a live action film. The public will expect Cap's shield to bounce off IM's suit. In the films this is not a fight, it's a massacre in Iron Man's favor.

Harry Dresden on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    I think Cobie Smulders was great in the movie despite not having a big part.

This wrote: »
    I think Cobie Smulders was great in the movie despite not having a big part.

Agreed.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Thanos is vastly deeper in complexity to Darkseid. Jim Stalin gave him a nihilist philosophy then it was built on and evolved through the decades whereas Darkseid has remained fairly stagnant in personality.
    If you think Darkseid is stagnant, I have to assume you just haven't read any good comics with Darkseid in them. He doesn't have to be a complex villain. He is the God of all Evil. His purpose is to control and corrupt. He wants to remake the entire universe in the image of his soul. And when he looks upon the desolation he has wrought, he will see himself as in a mirror, and know what fear is.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Was that fight after Extremis? Cause that makes it even more ludicrous.

Was that fight after Extremis? Cause that makes it even more ludicrous.

Yes. It's from the end of Civil War.
    Afterwards Cap has a moment of conscious and then a bunch of civilians pull him off Stark and Cap surrenders.

A few days later he gets shot and "killed".

edited May 2012

If you think Darkseid is stagnant, I have to assume you just haven't read any good comics with Darkseid in them. He doesn't have to be a complex villain. He is the God of all Evil. His purpose is to control and corrupt. He wants to remake the entire universe in the image of his soul. And when he looks upon the desolation he has wrought, he will see himself as in a mirror, and know what fear is.
    looking at the character at a really high-level, when who he is because he is the 'God of Evil'... Well, that is pretty simplistic and one-dimensional.

Matrias on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I learned that the only thing that can upstage the Tony Stark Show: Starring Tony Stark are Hulk Sight Gags.

I kind of felt the USS Impractical jumped the shark. Giant flying cloaking air craft carrier? Can we have flaming skeletons with dice for eyes doing dirt bike tricks on it while Slash plays a sweet solo on guitar? Get the 8-year-old boy out of the brainstorming meeting for my superhero movie please.

You are not allowed to brain storm for movies. Ever.

I mean, completely disregarding it's established canon, was done superbly, and visually looked amazing, as well as actually feeling like a proper HQ...

It is still a fucking cool idea.

My favourite part was when my girlfriend leaned over and whispered "oh, is it a submarine too?"

I didn't even try to hold back my glee when I simply replied "Nope."

I did have to admit shortly thereafter that
    I did not know it could cloak.

Edit: and I now notice I'm responding to people from 7 pages back. Oh well, more of that; I too love Coulson.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I had to remind mother who was after the credits, and that jogged her memory. She loved The Avengers back in the day.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

It's still a pretty hollow thing to build a narrative around.

Even in The Avengers, the central villain has a personal stake in his plan, as well as a personal connection to the protagonists.

I'm not saying you CAN'T build a good story around Darkseid or Thanos, but they don't immediately lend themselves to interesting character dynamics that can be imparted to an audience of actual human beings without significant tweaking of their modes and methods. Which is why stories with those guys always end up being compartmentalized and fought through proxies.

edited May 2012
    Atomic Ross:
    Until the end where the heroes take them on directly. Thanos philosophy, morals and evolving nature make for good arguments with the heroes, which is significantly more interesting to watch or read then Darkseid who can't stop talking about being the God of Evil who can not be swayed by reason or other goals besides "getting the Anti-Life Equation" and "dominating all life for their own good because that's how he rolls". Even the best interpretations Darkseid has are thin on character* like in Superman:TAS, Justice League Unlimited, JLA: Rock of Ages & LSH: Great Darkness Saga.

It's not impossible to give the Avengers a personal connection in some form to Thanos in the sequels, since Silver Surfer & Adam Warlock aren't around to fulfill that role in the movies.

* haven't read Kirby's New Gods

Harry Dresden on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, has no one made a wallpaper out of the veeeeeeery last scene yet? My Google-fu is turning up nothing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The Chitauri really shouldn't have bought their weapons from the Trade Federation.
    Atomic Ross:
    Until the end where the heroes take them on directly. Thanos philosophy, morals and evolving nature make for good arguments with the heroes, which is significantly more interesting to watch or read then Darkseid who can't stop talking about being the God of Evil who can not be swayed by reason or other goals besides "getting the Anti-Life Equation" and "dominating all life for their own good because that's how he rolls". Even the best interpretations Darkseid has are thin on character* like in Superman:TAS, Justice League Unlimited, JLA: Rock of Ages & LSH: Great Darkness Saga.

It's not impossible to give the Avengers a personal connection in some form to Thanos in the sequels, since Silver Surfer & Adam Warlock aren't around to fulfill that role in the movies.

Just because Darkseid is the god of evil does not mean he doesn't have personality or depth.

Darkseid's goal isn't just to dominate all life, it's to make his enemies see the weakness and hypocrisy of their own beliefs and to admit that they were wrong to hold such beliefs in the first place. He is not just a god who tempts or tricks people into committing evil, he is a force that unites the conflicting facets of one's nature and drives it toward a greater goal. His empire exists within the hearts and minds of all sentient beings and every man, woman, and child is a battlefield upon which he wages his war.

edited May 2012
    The Chitauri really shouldn't have bought their weapons from the Trade Federation.
    Atomic Ross:

Just because Darkseid is the god of evil does not mean he doesn't have personality or depth.

Darkseid's goal isn't just to dominate all life, it's to make his enemies see the weakness and hypocrisy of their own beliefs and to admit that they were wrong to hold such beliefs in the first place. He is not just a god who tempts or tricks people into committing evil, he is a force that unites the conflicting facets of one's nature and drives it toward a greater goal. His empire exists within the hearts and minds of all sentient beings and every man, woman, and child is a battlefield upon which he wages his war.

The reason I keep saying
    Thanos
    is superior is that he's more then what he began as.
    He started off an alien warlord and evolved into a character who tried to redeem himself, no longer used minions to do his dirty work for him and even aided the heroes in saving the universe more than once. He's had a love/hate relationship with Death, as well. It's not just conquering the universe with the guy, unlike Darkseid. The only constants with him that he has is being in love with Death and tracking down obscenely powerful objects to conquer the universe with. Everything else can and has changed.

Harry Dresden on
    Domination for domination's sake is a boring motivation.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

But does that really matter? The Joker causes chaos and death for its own sake but he's still an interesting villain.

But does that really matter? The Joker causes chaos and death for its own sake but he's still an interesting villain.

Controlling something and destroying something are different things, and pretty much the Joker's whole shtick is how little anything matters.

The Joker doesn't "cause death for its own sake." He causes chaos. Different things.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Controlling something and destroying something are different things, and pretty much the Joker's whole shtick is how little anything matters.

The Joker doesn't "cause death for its own sake." He causes chaos. Different things.

With the Joker he'll kill or let live on any whim. He's random and out of control, especially his latest incarnation.

This discussion has been closed.