As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I.... am so glad I slept in today.

edit:

kitten_and_chick.jpeg

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Scariest* totp ever.

e: holy poopsicles, I was wondering how the chat thread moved so fast. Thank tube it has ended.

*cutest totp ever.

Prospicience on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I will say that being born and raised in the south both A) gave me a deep, heartfelt understanding of Bourbon and Whiskey in general and B) the mindset that if it "ain't from Kentucky or one of the few surrounding states, it ain't worth drinkin'" when it comes to both Bourbon and Whiskey.

I do enjoy Scotch, but I think Canadian Whiskey (sorry Grifter) and Irish Whiskey both taste horrible.

You don't even like Crown Royal? Meh. Doesn't really bother me. I generally just drink scotch when it comes to whiskey. I tried Bulleit after it being suggested on Gizmodo but I'm generally not a bourbon drinker. Turned out to be quite alright. I don't mind some Irish stuff but I'm not really out there looking at bourbon, Canadian or Irish whiskey most of the time when there's scotch available.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Kittah!

So FUZZY!

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So if any of you kneed me, I'll be at the hospital
    I used to be a.... let me get a shovel and bury this fucking horse.

Also, uncivilized debate culture happened I guess.

m3nace on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    I don't think a debate can be uncivilized, unless it's a debate with guns.
    I mean it can be on uncivilized topics, which I don't think is the case here, but I'm pretty sure fighting with words alone is about as civilized as it gets, even if rude words are spoken.
    Having an unfortunate disposition doesn't make you uncivilized, uncivilized actions do.

I feel like one can still be uncivilized in their conversation even though it is only a conversation. Things like name calling and mocking people doesn't seem civil to me. While it is generally better than bashing somebody's face, it is not the same as being respectful of the people with whom you are conversing.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Some of my best friends are people I disagree with IMMENSELY on numerous social and political topics and often the most fun we have is had discussing said topics.

If people don't want to talk that's always cool.

But simply name calling and spitting and shaking fists just isn't appropriate. Its that kind of thing that shuts people down. It only increases ones ignorance.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with scotch on the rocks. At all...

...Unless you're some 21 year old guy at a hotel bar for the first time in your life trying to pick up some cougar hocking big pharma and trying to sound fancy when you order your Glenlivet while I'm just trying to catch the last half of whatever is on Sports Center before some bullshit productivity synergy meeting the next morning at 8:00 am.

...if you're that guy, you suck...

Actually!!

I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but I've recently been told that certain scotches can open up with a splash of water or an ice-cube. I only know this because my goto "sippin' scotch", Laphraoig 10 year, is apparently one of them. I'm not well-read enough to know why that is, or when it's appropriate, just that apparently it's not the universally reviled practice that I once thought it was.

Not that I would try it. I doubt my palette is refined enough to be able to tell the difference aside from "this is more watery", and I'm perfectly fine just drinking it straight. Also: Shit's expensive, I don't want to water it down.

• NicNic Registered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    I feel like one can still be uncivilized in their conversation even though it is only a conversation. Things like name calling and mocking people doesn't seem civil to me. While it is generally better than bashing somebody's face, it is not the same as being respectful of the people with whom you are conversing.

Yeah, thinking about it, I guess that's true, although it's on the recipient to either make an effort to ignore the comments, or take offense to them, and deal with them how they will. It takes two to tango, and I think overall whether or not things become uncivilized relies on the exchange as a whole.
    But yeah, I guess with that in mind things did get kind of uncivilized.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    It does indeed take two to tango, but yeah as others said you don't want to break the chain of communication and alienate your opponents by spewing crap.

Fugitive wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with scotch on the rocks. At all...

...Unless you're some 21 year old guy at a hotel bar for the first time in your life trying to pick up some cougar hocking big pharma and trying to sound fancy when you order your Glenlivet while I'm just trying to catch the last half of whatever is on Sports Center before some bullshit productivity synergy meeting the next morning at 8:00 am.

...if you're that guy, you suck...

Actually!!

I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but I've recently been told that certain scotches can open up with a splash of water or an ice-cube. I only know this because my goto "sippin' scotch", Laphraoig 10 year, is apparently one of them. I'm not well-read enough to know why that is, or when it's appropriate, just that apparently it's not the universally reviled practice that I once thought it was.

Not that I would try it. I doubt my palette is refined enough to be able to tell the difference aside from "this is more watery", and I'm perfectly fine just drinking it straight. Also: Shit's expensive, I don't want to water it down.

A friend of mine, who's much more into whiskey than I am, told me that you should have a sip of the straight stuff first. Once you have that on your lips, you should add an amount of luke warm water that you think would agree with your palette. I generally only add a tiny bit to most of the scotch I drink. Laphroaig is quite a nice one and a bit on the pricey side. I barely add any water to it. Apparently, Old Pulteny in the 21 year old variety has been declared the best scotch in the world. I've tried the 12 year old variety of that one and it's actually very nice and well priced.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Try to get them to install an awesome bionic leg. Or maybe exchange it for an assault rifle leg.

I'm sorry, that's only covered in the Canadian Health Care administration!

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    So if any of you kneed me, I'll be at the hospital
    I used to be a.... let me get a shovel and bury this fucking horse.

Hahaha awesome.

So yeah I apparently "partially" tore some soft tissue in my knee. Crutches for the lose -_-

I understand why they have to do it, but the worst part about going to the doctor is when they fiddle and abuse your injury and ask if it hurts. Slamming my hand down suddenly to brace myself is probably a good indicator that YES THAT HURTS ME STOP TWISTING IT NOW

edited May 2012
    Aw, I'm sorry MD. I wish you the swiftest of recoveries.

You guys have no idea how excited I am, I just did my first soldering on my wacom wire that my dog chewed through 2 years ago when he was a puppy. The soldering worked, I got my wacom back, YEAH!!!!!

edit: and I just picked up my pen to find out that the clicker has fallen off :( welp, better than nothing.

Prospicience on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    My clicker fell off once from. My stylus, but I managed to put it back easily.

Yeah, it's done it before. But apparently it's gone for good. Can't find it anywhere. Honestly though... it got in the way a lot when I'd paint - accidentally right clicking all the time. So it's not a huge deal.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Oh man, these last few pages... o_O

That's awful MD! Hope you're back on your feet soon, and congratulations on the apartment.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Sarcasm and satire are evidence of civilization.
    A friend of mine, who's much more into whiskey than I am, told me that you should have a sip of the straight stuff first. Once you have that on your lips, you should add an amount of luke warm water that you think would agree with your palette. I generally only add a tiny bit to most of the scotch I drink. Laphroaig is quite a nice one and a bit on the pricey side. I barely add any water to it. Apparently, Old Pulteny in the 21 year old variety has been declared the best scotch in the world. I've tried the 12 year old variety of that one and it's actually very nice and well priced.

You're not adding luke warm water, you're adding distilled water. Important difference. If you add tap to a 30 year whiskey I'm liable to imprint my and on your face :/

Also depends on the whiskey. I find I need to distill older bourbons, but scotch in particular I don't need to. Extremely old (30 years or older) can sometimes benefit from a drop, but more than that is just over kill. The goal is to "unlock" flavors so to speak. Most amateur whiskey drinkers use it as a way to make the drink less harsh.

ninjai on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Feel better, MD.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I fill up a glass from the tap, and then pour a shot of whiskey in it. I'm fairly sure this is the proper way to do it.

Also, I throw out all the bottles of whiskey that have been sitting in the cupboard for more than a year because it's old and probably bad.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I fill up a glass from the tap, and then pour a shot of whiskey in it. I'm fairly sure this is the proper way to do it.

Also, I throw out all the bottles of whiskey that have been sitting in the cupboard for more than a year because it's old and probably bad.

Not if you're using tap water. Distilled water is easy enough to come by and tap does change the flavor of the whiskey.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I was kidding, I drink like The Waco Kid.

steam_sig.png
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I was a scotch snob for a little while, you should really only add a splash of water. Much more than a splash and you lose more flavour than you gain.
    I personally prefer to just drink it straight up, to be honest I find any water sullies the flavour, but that's just me. I do love any of the Islay malts (Laphroiagh and Ardbeg), the oily peaty flavour makes me feel like an old salty sea captain when I drink it. Speysides like The Glenrothes are pretty awesome too (expensive but). Highland malts angry up my blood, so I stay well clear of them.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I see someone pulled out the chickitten for the totp... I'm guessing I don't want to read the past few pages, do I.

I played through Portal 2 finally today, having just last week built a computer capable of running it. Spoilers in case the rest of you are as far behind on these things as I am.
    So uh, Valve really committed to the absurdity angle at the end there. As I was watching it all play out I kept thinking, "man, this feels super tacked-on and jarringly out of character, but I can tell they worked really hard on it." Which is probably a bad sign, considering how fluid everything else Valve / Portal generally is. In all honesty, I clicked on the moon by accident; I was trying to zoom in. Nothing in the past six hours of gameplay led me to expect the ending, and it just came across as a big letdown.

I love the Cave Johnson character, and I wish they had spent more time in the 60's "era." That bit of storytelling was handled so much better than Wheatley's. Unfortunately the whole thing began to draw uncomfortably close to Mann Co the longer it went on; I literally watched the Valveularity form before my eyes in a bizarre Black Mesa meets Mann Co pileup (The new "hats for robots"thing certainly does nothing to help that." The last third of the game felt entirely as though they were falling back on old tricks and familiar character templates, and I had the same issue I have with most Metroidvania games; you spend so much time working your way up to the full package of tools and mechanics, and then spend almost no time actually using them all before it ends.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    ninjai wrote: »

You're not adding luke warm water, you're adding distilled water. Important difference. If you add tap to a 30 year whiskey I'm liable to imprint my and on your face :/

Also depends on the whiskey. I find I need to distill older bourbons, but scotch in particular I don't need to. Extremely old (30 years or older) can sometimes benefit from a drop, but more than that is just over kill. The goal is to "unlock" flavors so to speak. Most amateur whiskey drinkers use it as a way to make the drink less harsh.

I don't add tap water to shit in North America. In Bermuda, though, we collect our water from the rain on our roofs. The water in the place I lived in there tasted like distilled water so I didn't have a problem with adding a bit of regular tap water then.

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Apartment hunting is such a drain.

Half the places around here cost more than half my salary for a single room. They are nice places though, but there's not much in between the luxury apartment complexes and section 8's.

None of which would be bad except for the fact that the stuff in my price range has a lot of competition, one person I talked with had received over 38 replies to their listing in just 2 days.

MD, is it one of those things you can eventually get a cane for? That's almost as cool as having one of those artificial super-runner springlegs.

So, I'm basically doing concept art full time now, at a good payscale, and I still can't convince myself to put in my two weeks at my minimum wage sandwich delivery job. First world problems are the worst world problems.

Do you at least get free sandwiches? I'd be hesitant to quit a job that gave me free sandwiches.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    MD, is it one of those things you can eventually get a cane for? That's almost as cool as having one of those artificial super-runner springlegs.

So, I'm basically doing concept art full time now, at a good payscale, and I still can't convince myself to put in my two weeks at my minimum wage sandwich delivery job. First world problems are the worst world problems.

Maybe ask to get part time work?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    A man in his 40s walked into the library. His clothes made him look reminiscent of a Black Panther and he had a voice like Sidney Poitier. He asked the reference librarian if they had "A copy of the National anthem of the United States of America"
    The librarian searched on his computer and after a few minutes said there was only one copy in another library and it was taken out.

The man stood their staring aimlessly for 5 minutes at the children's section book when I decided to speak.
    me - You know...you could just download it for free off the internet.
    He looked wild eyed and approached me swiftly.
    him - The internet? Yes. And I can find a copy of the anthem by navigating the internet.
    me - probably
    him - The Anthem of the United States of America?
    me - the very one. Here. (Googled it, first link had a download.)
    him - And its there! (He shouted) Brilliant!
    me - Yep. That's the internet.
    him - Where were you!? I was about to leave and their you came with this internet.
    me - No problem.
    him - Thank you...for the light. For giving me...the light.
    me - Any time.
    And then he left the library.

So yeah... I'm pretty sure i helped either an Alien or a Time Traveler.

That is the best story I've hear all year....and also the most peculiar.

edited May 2012
    You've saved/doomed our planet/multiverse, Bebarce.

And no I don't get free sandwiches. They're like... half off. I could easily do part-time, which is what I'm doing now. The question is, why spend 15 hours a week at a minimum wage job, when I could devote that time instead to working a job that pays significantly better and is exponentially strengthening my portfolio.

I guess I'm paranoid that it's going to go away without warning, either by me screwing it up, or by the rug being yanked out from under us. The latter is looking less and less likely the more I'm told about our funding situation, but now that anxiety shifts to "what if they decide they'd rather give my job to a more experienced artist, now that they have the money?"

This is also being spurred by the fact that my work schedule is deciding to once again position itself very awkwardly in relation to a deadline I'm up against.

Fugitive on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Quiiittttttt
    you can probably always get another sandwich job

edited May 2012
    Things are pretty tight in the sandwich industry at the moment, especially with the chinese leveraging their deli meats against the local wholemeal roll producers.

Mustang on
    I also don't want to negatively impact my manager's turnover at this job, since she's been really great about fitting my schedule around my other job these past few weeks and is in general a great person.

I don't know. Maybe since it's still my 90 day grace period we can work something out that avoids that. Worse comes to worse, I'll just pop in for a couple hours every 2 weeks.

I'm also freaking out because I will suddenly be a full-time professional artist working in the field of my choice and guh that is terrifying.

Negotiate free sandwiches. It'll be worth it in the long run.

This is the type of business sense I need. Grif, you need a job as a sandwich advisor?

Does the job pay in sandwiches?

What?

No? That would be incredibly shady.

This discussion has been closed.