As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Buttoneering 2012: Events Schedule Updated!

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I'm making some key rings as well - only a dozen or so, I'll post pics when they're done. I think there will be for anyone who makes obscure Dr Who references!

Come on Ace, we have work to do.

I'm still planning my buttons this year. So many ideas that are not quite good enough, heh.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • CovetCovet Registered User regular
    Covet wrote: »
    For reference, the text I use is 6 pt. You could probably go down to 5 pt and still maintain legibility since your text is thicker. I'm not so sure I'd go beyond that without seeing a test first. Then again, it does fit in the lines of their template, so you should be good to go. :)

Very helpful. Can I ask what font you used? It looks like Arial, to my untrained eye.

I used Eurostile, which is a little boxier than Arial. I wouldn't go any thinner than, say, Arial because of bleed.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Here is this year's shield:

pax-buttoneering-shield-2012.png

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Oo! The blue background is so pretty!

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like that! Would love to get my hands on one!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    The lack of pre-PAX Doctor Who this year despairs me, as it means I can't make any timely Who-themed pixel-art buttons for myself this year.

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    would someone be willing to help correct a few things in my button design? pm please :)

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    I'm definitely in for this, just checking with the artist that did my forum avatar that she is ok with me using it for buttons can't see any reason why not but always nice to ask :)

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Finalized my main button design and uploaded. :) Need to make my bonus button next, but first I should do actual work since that's where I am at the moment...
    Alassel2012v2_web.jpg

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    alegria...I NEED that button

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Green for truth!!
    millislim wrote: »
    alegria...I NEED that button

CaptainTapole on
    Yay, glad y'all like it! :D

Rw4xnu6.png
    There, made my bonus button too. :)
    1336665548-AlasselBonus2012.jpg

Rw4xnu6.png
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    alegria wrote: »
    Finalized my main button design and uploaded. :) Need to make my bonus button next, but first I should do actual work since that's where I am at the moment...
    Alassel2012v2_web.jpg

He's just so pretty...

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

I so awwed when I saw that. He is adorable.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12

Thanks! It's actually a she - her name is Jadzia. :) Her button is meant to match the ones my husband and I traded last year (mine is my current avatar, my littler girl Ezri) of our other two border collies.

Rw4xnu6.png

Thanks! It's actually a she - her name is Jadzia. :) Her button is meant to match the ones my husband and I traded last year (mine is my current avatar, my littler girl Ezri) of our other two border collies.

Hah, now that's an obscure(ish) reference.

On a website note:
    Because I'm obsessed with performance, I'm moving to a CDN for distribution of the images. What this means for you is that if you update your image, you'll have to update your posts here with the new image urls that link to it (the code is in the "Edit" page of your buttons). It'll no longer update automatically, sorry.

jonxp wrote: »

Hah, now that's an obscure(ish) reference.

Our boy BC is named Curzon, and my next girl BC will be Emony. I think my husband is leaning towards Torias as the name for his next boy, but I'm not sure. :D

Rw4xnu6.png
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    The lack of pre-PAX Doctor Who this year despairs me, as it means I can't make any timely Who-themed pixel-art buttons for myself this year.
    It's always timely for Dr Who (or Timely wimely!)

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

You are so 100% correct that it hurts.

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

You are so 100% correct that it hurts.
    In that case my button is going to be a smashing success.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Prelim design:
    1336690007-buttonsAreCool.jpg?1336690007

Cropping's a bit off, my fault. But yeah.. Showed it to a coworker and she didn't get the reference(s). Am I too obscure?

Tar3820 on
    PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    Prelim design:

Cropping's a bit off, my fault. But yeah.. Showed it to a coworker and she didn't get the reference(s). Am I too obscure?
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnntttttttt.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Prelim design:

This is not obscure at all. Also, I want it.

• mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    Alright, here are the two that I'm working on.

Chicago Flag Theme
    7173599940_85d83cb378_n.jpg

Big Trouble In Little China Theme
    7173599910_60019704ac_n.jpg

I'm not sure if I'd ordering both, or just the Chicago flag one. The second could be a bonus button, with some Jack Burton related trivia (the name of his truck, perhaps), unless that's too obscure. Everyone loves that movie, right?

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
    Prelim design:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnntttttttt.

Agreed, waaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnttttttttt.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yay.

i redid the button. it looks vaguely the same but different and i don't care i think i like this one better anyways. will upload the new one

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Finally uploaded my button!!! much thanks to the lovely Nyankokimi for designing my button!!!

1336696274-Button_2012.png

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Finally uploaded my button!!! much thanks to the lovely Nyankokimi for designing my button!!!

Your buttons are always in my must haves. Who doesn't want a little Cthulu in their lives?

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
    Enigmas wrote: »
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Your buttons are always in my must haves. Who doesn't want a little Cthulu in their lives?
    "Who's a wittle good viking Cthulu? Who's a witt--NOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT MY SOUL!!!"

• TrezlTrezl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just put together my first button. Would love any feedback on how to improve it.
    1336708080-PurpleDragon_CaveDrawing.button.black.png

Thanks!

Trezl on
    Trezl wrote: »
    Just put together my first button. Would love any feedback on how to improve it.

Thanks!

Looks pretty brilliant to me - is the sketch yours? The only thing I'd change is the font you chose, it's very "crisp" when compared to the style of the dragon sketch. Something that's more like handwriting (or even just a little blurry) would fit better and not detract from the focus of the design.

And I definitely want one of those. :)

Rw4xnu6.png

Thanks!

Looks pretty brilliant to me - is the sketch yours? The only thing I'd change is the font you chose, it's very "crisp" when compared to the style of the dragon sketch. Something that's more like handwriting (or even just a little blurry) would fit better and not detract from the focus of the design.

And I definitely want one of those. :)

Or, if you even write the text on yourself (if it's your sketch). That'd look pretty sharp.

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Thanks!

Looks good!

I agree with algeria about the font. I also might embiggen the text a little bit, and possibly, if you have a program capable of it, curve the text to fit the contour of the top and bottom of the button?

The sketch itself is super cool looking.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    My sister showed me this on Tumblr earlier today...and I kinda want to do a BONUS-Bonus Button...but a serious limited amount and those who are worthy of knowing a line (or all) from the movie...
    enhanced-buzz-9901-1282983200-12.jpg

• TrezlTrezl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thanks so much for all the comments!

Yeah, the drawing is mine. It's actually a watercolor painting I did on construction paper when I was painting with my kids about a year ago. :) I scanned it in and "smudged" the background to give it a bit of a rough look.

I'll play with arcing the words and making the font fit in a little better with the picture! I'll see if I can "write" the words.

Looking forward to trading buttons with you all.

Edit: I've made some changes to the font. What do you think?

1336716518-PurpleDragon_CaveDrawing.button.stone_font.png

Trezl on
    Thanks so much for all the comments!

Yeah, the drawing is mine. It's actually a watercolor painting I did on construction paper when I was painting with my kids about a year ago. :) I scanned it in and "smudged" the background to give it a bit of a rough look.

I'll play with arcing the words and making the font fit in a little better with the picture! I'll see if I can "write" the words.

Looking forward to trading buttons with you all.

Edit: I've made some changes to the font. What do you think?

1336716518-PurpleDragon_CaveDrawing.button.stone_font.png

Maybe you could use sketch block font? dafont.com/sketch-block.font

Also if you can make the font layer just a bit transparent it will look more like it was drawn onto the background.

• ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    I'm about to make my button with the help of the template. When I submit the design to purebuttons do I have to crop out only the circle image? Or can I leave the rest of the square of the template in the design, which will then be automatically cut out when they make my buttons? Thanks :)

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
    ramen215 wrote: »
    I'm about to make my button with the help of the template. When I submit the design to purebuttons do I have to crop out only the circle image? Or can I leave the rest of the square of the template in the design, which will then be automatically cut out when they make my buttons? Thanks :)

Submit just your graphic file, without the template visible, and they'll do the rest. Personally, I always pay the $10 extra to have them send me a digital proof before production, as that way I can be sure that the buttons will come out how I wanted them to, but I understand not everyone can swing that. The only change I've had to ask them to make in three years was to slightly adjust the one this year so my navy blue background would be even on the top and the bottom - and really, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if it hadn't. As long as your design fits within their template guidelines, you'll be set. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just finished my button: http://buttoneering.org/buttons/298 Features a Human Transmutation Circle (FMA and FMA: B) and Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock (TBBT) as well as my twitter :) (although the pic makes it hard to read any of it :P)

ramen215 on
    Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
This discussion has been closed.