As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

bleargh city (update 11.14.06) NSFW

RobertRobert Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
my old thread's been dead for forever, so I'm not gonna bother bumping it. Lots of shitty shit in there, anyway.

this is what I've been up to lately. some of it's good, some of it's not. that's how it goes. I'm pretty sure everything here is posted in the order it was drawn, if that means anything.

drawing from life: my friend Claire.
claire071806.jpg

pair of creepy dudes:
creepyhoses071806.jpg

creepybubbles071806.jpg

drawing from life: hallway at Clairemont College.
hallway071806.jpg

drippy gear dude:
oilman071806.jpg

boobies on a creepy girl:
baldwoman071806.jpg

a squiggle I liked.
squiggle071806.jpg

while watching Willard:
willard071806.jpg

my girlfriend and her pipe:
katrinapipe071806.jpg

more boobies:
armswoman071806.jpg

naked cowboy amputee (I know his right arm is way screwed up, I didn't realize it until after I'd scanned it):
cowboy071806.jpg

dude with a lightbulb in his head:
baldbulb071806.jpg

naked cartoon chick, with some eyes in speech bubbles:
eyewoman071806.jpg

tattoo'd girl:
swimswirl071806.jpg

drawings I did while at Comic Con this year (the ones that say "after Jake" on them were referenced from photos he took. I don't have those photos to share, sadly):
facesstont072706.jpg

threeeyesfire072706.jpg

gabe072706.jpg

kellah072706.jpg

evanandchris072706.jpg

squiggledude072706.jpg

lightbulbman072706.jpg

squiggly woman:
woman080606.jpg

drawing I did last night, I'm thinking about maybe coloring it:
iwantmoredrugs.jpg

another naked girl, with some headphones:
girlheadphones080606.jpg

enjoy, and crits and comments would be pretty sweet.

he's never gonna cut his hair.
Robert on

• Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It's always with the naked girls and the headphones...

;D

I really like the second creepy dude in the water tank. Looks like some human-animal mix if you think of the left two circles as a nose.
    Interesting stuff, nothing boring.
    You like light bulbs pretty much, don't you?

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    WizToastWizToast Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I really dig your style. Have you done anything with a narrative?

WizToast on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Ape2001 - thanks muchly. Cool that you like the second creepy dude, I never thought of his eyes as a nose but that's okay :). Yes, I do like lightbulbs very much.

WizToast - thanks a lot. I have done comics, but not much since like junior year in highschool. I'm not much of a storyteller so comics aren't really a medium I've pursued much since then. by the way, I checked out your webcomic. I liked it a lot, made me laugh plenty.

playing with colors on the 'I want more drugs' picture. Not sure if they'll stay like that or not. I'm open to any suggestions for a different color scheme, I'm just experimenting here.
    iwantmoredrugs080606colors.jpg

yep.

Robert on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Your stuff is becoming more and more a rad blend of Mignola and Guy Davis.

I take it you read BPRD?

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Spectre-X - thanks! I do indeed read BPRD. Mignola and Davis are a couple of my many influences.

another one of the pages that take up a lot of my old thread.
    sketchpage080706.jpg

I'm really happy with this one, I think it might be the best of them so far. But I'm definitely curious to hear what anyone else thinks.

Robert on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    apart from the fact that it makes me a little scared, it looks cool as pie. I do on the other hand, have No fucking idea what is going on in your mind, I think you might be a little sick in the head...

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    misosoup - sweet, glad you like it. though I'm not sick in the head, as far as I know :)

one from this morning.
    floatygirl080906.jpg
    yep. naked floaty girl.

Robert on
  • Options
    Lunar_YetiLunar_Yeti Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    You're stuff is pretty bad ass. I love your style, and your pics from real life are great too.

Lunar_Yeti on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    thanks Lunar_Yeti. much appreciated.

finally dug out the photo of my Beginning Painting final project from last quarter at UCR. Oil on canvas.
    paintingfinalproject06.jpg

and a landscape/still life thing I did in there. oil on canvas board.
    sIMG_1307.jpg

there's more paintings from last quarter here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v135/myimagehost/Spring06Paintings/ if anyone wants to take a look. it's mostly quick studies that took between 5 and 20 minutes to do; the teacher liked to keep us moving.

some actually new stuff. Been in kind of a rut for a couple weeks.

selfportrait082506.jpg

threemen082506.jpg

goggles082506.jpg

selfmaybe082506.jpg

chrisbday082606.jpg

and my newest one. another self portrait.
    selfruint083106.jpg

yup.

Robert on
  • Options
    Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Robert wrote:
    goggles082506.jpg

this immediately speaks to me. very cool composition.

Sam :) on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sam :) - - Thanks yo

new drawing.

hammerbulb090506.jpg

yep.

Robert on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It seems to me like your cought in some cycle of subject matter. Might I ask what the deal is with a weird dude with a light bulb? They seem to be a reoccuring theme... Apart from that I don't know what I could crit. Seeing a few is interesting, but everything collectively feels the same. The few color pieces were a nice breath of semi-fresh air.

Don't mean to harp on you, just trying to be honest.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Shiboe - There's not really any deal with the weird dudes with the lightbulbs. I like drawing such things. I also like drawing gasmasks, and I've done a lot of them. Maybe it's like how fantasy artists like drawing canon fantasy characters? Thanks for the comments.

colored the 'ruint' self portrait.
    selfruint083106color.jpg
    yup.

Robert on
  • Options
    ButchersBlindButchersBlind Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The images in your first post are reminiscent of Clive Barkers 'Visions of Heaven and Hell'.
    Give it a look, i think it would be interesting to see it influence your work.
    Nice work man. :)

edit: a professor tells me 'book art' is on the rise, and i think this would come together as a nice peace (mildly grotesque subject matter=easy sell) so just bind this stuff in a piece of leather and you could probebly get a pretty good price for it. Thats if youd want to sell it.

ButchersBlind on
    mouse3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    ButchersBlind - thanks! I looked up Visions of Heaven and Hell, it looked like some pretty awesome stuff. cool that you drew a parallel from my stuff to his.

I don't know if I want to sell these originals, but that might be something for me to think about in the future. thanks for the suggestion.

nothing new yet, hopefully something soon.

Robert on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    not a big update, but it's something.

as it turns out, Talk Talk is a band. I was not aware of that until after I'd scanned it.
    talktalk091206.jpg

cactus love.
    cactus091206.jpg

part of a contest for an anti-censorship club thing. I don't know if I'll win, but it makes me laugh.
    AC091306.jpg

indeed.

Robert on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Your thread has more art per square inch than just about any other thread. I like that. I also like the way you lay out your compositions. The anti-censoring ones are great, hope you win.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    as it turns out, Talk Talk is a band. I was not aware of that until after I'd scanned it.

talk talk is also a broadband/phone provider in the UK, i used to have a job there, one of the most degrading things I've ever done.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    earthwormadam - hah, thanks. I try to fill it up. glad you like the compositions, that's really one of the few things I think I really have a handle on. I don't know if I'll win, and even if I do it's just for a deviantart club, hahh.

misosoup - most righteous.

handsface092506.jpg

sketchpage092806.jpg

sketchpage092906selfportraits.jpg

newest batch. It's not as solid as some of the previous stuff, but I'm working on it. that last one is a collection of self-portraits, and there's a couple pictures of me in the drawing before that, too.

yup.

Robert on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    probably exactly the wrong time to post anything for reals, but whatever. I ain't no noob, and I ain't breakin' no rules.

sketchpage100306.jpg
    *edit- the caption is the title of the opening track from the self-titled album by Jesus Makes the Shotgun Sound. they's pretty cool, they're from where I go to school. neat.

word.

Robert on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just have to say: awesome. Nice enormous thread you have here. Not much else to say.

Oh, doncha' mean "werd", duh.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hi Robert,
    I like the way of the drawing especially the no 1 and the hallway.
    It seems like a dream mix with surrealism style.
    Hopefully one day, I can read a fantasy comic with this style.
    don't know what to say anymore. Good job done!
    :)

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    srsizzy - thanks a lot. It's not that big, it's only one page ;). and I probably did mean werd, thanks for catching that.

vrempire - thanks muchly. glad you dig. The joke is, the surrealist art movement was about dreams. good one.

-e

Robert on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Robert - i hate you and all of your art. bich
    /flame week?

finished the image i put in the doodle thread. didn't think i'd have time tonight, but i did. wheeee.
    bumsnakes100506painted.jpg

mmhmm.

Robert on
  • Options
    JarmoJarmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Robert, oh man. I love every picture you have posted to this thread. Keep it up, man.

Jarmo on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    robert.jpg

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jarmo - thanks.

CheerfulBear - good one. edit: Actually, you are a terrible cunt of a man and I sincerely hope you are bitten by something poisonous.

Robert on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    glugghead100906.jpg

firehead100906paintsadjust1.jpg

and this got BOTP'd.
    bumsnakes100506painted.jpg

yep.

Robert on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Those first two I really enjoy. The second's right (our left) hand is a bit messy. Keep it up man.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hi Robert,
    the image with the 'GLUUGGG..' is very cool.
    I'm not so sure what it is the relation between
    the water pot and the hook (it looks freaking weird) but the image is really
    simple but attractive.

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    NeoRedXIII - Thanks, glad you like them. You're right about the hand, it's pretty messy.

vrempire - there's no real connection between the hook and the water-head, I just like hooks. And thank you.

new thing.
    headsplode101006.jpg

uh huh.

Robert on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    more stuff. haven't updated in a while, I've been pretty busy with school.

sketchpage101306.jpg

smokehead102006.jpg

deathadder110606colortest2b.jpg

yup.

Robert on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    your ability to produce amazes me. That last one is pretty asskicking, and I think your coloring has come along way on the 2nd one.

Keep it up man

Greatnation on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Can you please post some real pencil works? I love your stuff but i think you are stuck in a gradually improving rut. I don't think you are doing the work you need to to improve, such as genuine studies of form, people, etc etc. I would love to be proved wrong, but the progress i see, whilst good, is not as fast as if you were also doing real studies into art. I really like your style i just want to be reassured that there is improving knowledge behind it! Ignore me if you wish ... i just think you could be fucking great in the future if you also study other mediums and ... essentially, life.

Keep up the good work mate.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Greatnation - thanks much. I think it's come a long way, also, but I've also got a really long way to go.

Lly - I don't really have any 'real pencil works'. I do a lot of drawings of people I see, but most of them end up lost or trashed or something, and they aren't a substantial part of what I do art-wise. I wish I could prove you wrong, but I suppose I'm not doing the 'serious study' that's really valued here. I take my making art seriously, but maybe not in the way others here do. I'm glad you dig the stuff I'm doing, and I really appreciate the encouragement and the real critique of what I'm doing in terms of improvement. Thanks!

thing I shared progress pics of in the Doodle thread. I stopped caring about it, and it shows.
    bugeyeslightbulbsetc111306.jpg

this is another new one.
    bughed111406.jpg

hurm.

Robert on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yep ^^ Caring more about your own stuff than staying up to the others is good from time to time.

That lightbulb-guy's head looks pretty cool. Nice design ^^
    Bug, seems to be related to The Tick ^^' But it looks more nasty, that's why it would fit better to The Tick.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com