As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    lol got told to fuck off tonight from a group of two because they thought they were helping me complete a quest but ended up killing the named mob I tagged while I was killing off the minions. Lovely!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Stupid Labyrinth and 'Kill all monsters to open the door' it says, yeah, shame it closes right away afterwards. arg. Gotta train the whole room on top of the door then trundle through before it just slams shut again. Boo.

Golden Labyrinth was like pounding nails into my dick the first time I ran it. The trash was wholly annoying. Second time through there was nowhere near as bad. That's what I like most about this game. You see a gimmick once and the visual queues are pretty blatant after that to make learning things fast.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Cade wrote: »
    *Looks at the zombie bobsled team logo*

Why not have it called Brains or Bust?

Hey it's amusing.

Bit of a late response, but oh well. We're actually referencing <Orgrimmar Bobsled Team> which was our old guild of people from Paragon's area in Norway when we were playing WoW back in Wrath, and was originally inspired by the fact that there are several NPCs in Orgrimmar that are labeled as being in in that 'team'. (Oddly enough, I can't find the NPCs from googling or looking on Wowhead right now and there's no reference to them online elsewhere as far as I can see, but they're totally there even now.) We thought it was still a good guild name, so we modified it for TERA. The fact that the Plants vs. Zombies enemy happens to have a similar name is something we happened to notice while googling for an emblem, and we figured it'd make a good logo for us.

Brains or Bust would be a good guild name though, it's true. :P

Essee on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    ah boy. the final stretch before celerity is before me.

are mystics considered hard to play because you have to manage your mana between orbs and heals?

• Options
    TierwulfTierwulf Registered User regular
    Teknotier here.

I'll record videos of events if anyone can think of something.

Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    ah boy. the final stretch before celerity is before me.

are mystics considered hard to play because you have to manage your mana between orbs and heals?

They don't have mana issues. At least not at 50. Between a proper crystal and glyph setup while using mana infusion on cooldown you should have very little problems. If all your mana is going to heals then something went awful at some point that forced you to have to play catch up.

Mystic's problems come from being slow to level solo and human error of your healing targets in groups. more than anything I'm finding out. Getting the dps to pick up their main heals, the balls, can be a chore until they learn the hard way and start dying terribly. While a priest has an easier time healing and cleansing a group, a mystic's specialty is dps buffing. Basically drastically cutting down a group's time-to-kill via sheer presence alone by feeding the damage classes an endless supply of mana and doubled critical rate.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Tell me more, Montague.
    aKtcb.jpg

Tierwulf on
    Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    Stupid Labyrinth and 'Kill all monsters to open the door' it says, yeah, shame it closes right away afterwards. arg. Gotta train the whole room on top of the door then trundle through before it just slams shut again. Boo.

Golden Labyrinth was like pounding nails into my dick the first time I ran it. The trash was wholly annoying. Second time through there was nowhere near as bad. That's what I like most about this game. You see a gimmick once and the visual queues are pretty blatant after that to make learning things fast.

This. I hated this instance after wiping and the party going nuts.

Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Warrior is EXTREMELY Squishy before level 25ish. Their damage output doesnt make up for how much damage they take fighting anything. Your options are to dodge every hit from every mob, or bring a shitton of health regen pots and bandages while you quest. I can report that once you're past 26 you get really strong and can take down lots of stuff.

Also if you're leveling a warrior solo, theres no reason not to be in defensive stance. You get extra damage mitigation, and all it costs is some MP drain. You could try being in aggressive stance but the damage you take doesnt make up for the slightly faster killing speed.

Please stop face tanking stuff. Warriors do NOT have to take damage, they can kite anything all day if they need to.

The only single thing that can cause issues is caster mobs who do an attack that locks on. Not caster aoe or anything, thats easy as shit to avoid. However at early levels smoke clone and the possible stun from taunt can mitigate this. At later levels you have backstab for a stun. I noticed you mentioned last night that something killed you from 60% or something to dead... unless you used it, smoke clone solves that problem easy. If smoke clone is on cooldown, well timed death from above make you invincible...

Also why level in defensive stance? Its just going to be slower. I've used aggressive stance while soloing, ever since I trained it. You don't need any extra mitigation if you simply don't let shit hit you. I also use deadly gamble everytime its available... why not, kills shit quicker so I dodge less.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So what we take away from this kids, is if you play perfectly with 0 percent failure, you can do no wrong.

Why didn't we all think of this?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So what we take away from this kids, is if you play perfectly with 0 percent failure, you can do no wrong.

I think there's a pretty broad spectrum between face tanking and playing the ultimate warrior. As long as you're somewhere in the middle you shouldn't have huge issues with a warrior's squishiness.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    To try and be a little bit less condescending than Badwrong, watch the Warrior guide near the end of the OP. It REALLY helps you to be a better warrior. And while it is 18mins long, the actual advice is the first 6-8mins. Also, be warned that the guy making it also sound like a bit of an elitist asshole.

No reason to be in defensive stance when soloing. Just use your attack animation to move around the target. I have some problems with using Rising Fury the way he shows, but that might be because Castanic females hitbox is bigger than the character model.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

I think there's a pretty broad spectrum between face tanking and playing the ultimate warrior. As long as you're somewhere in the middle you shouldn't have huge issues with a warrior's squishiness.

This I'm aware, I'm saying all his posts are. WARRIORS BEST EVER. NEVER GET HURT. DO MOST DPS. CAN BRING BACK DEAD. CURE BLINDNESS. FEED THE HUNGRY. NEVER GET HIT EVER. EVERYTHING MAKE YOU INVINCIBLE. DEEPS A DERPS A DODGE.

I dont think I've seen a single moderate post, nor have I ever seen him comment on how its standard practice not to bring warriors to hardmode dungeons because they become a liability at endgame. Unless its for their endurance debuff. Herp.

But if you go by what he says, warriors are the best tank/dps/support/healers/everythingeversoloentiregamelongtime.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nought wrote: »
    To try and be a little bit less condescending than Badwrong, watch the Warrior guide near the end of the OP. It REALLY helps you to be a better warrior. And while it is 18mins long, the actual advice is the first 6-8mins. Also, be warned that the guy making it also sound like a bit of an elitist asshole.

No reason to be in defensive stance when soloing. Just use your attack animation to move around the target. I have some problems with using Rising Fury the way he shows, but that might be because Castanic females hitbox is bigger than the character model.

I think the guy in the video is fantastic. Saying that most class guides are some person basically reading the tooltips of every ability... its true. Most video guides for MMOs are just that, some goober spending 20 minutes reading off tooltips.

I have the exact same issues with rising fury, so I think either something was slightly different in the head start/beta when he made that or its just cause he was human with different hitboxes? I dunno.
    He was capped at 38 in that video, and things change since then as you surely know. Circle strafing with combo attacks rarely happens anymore, but the same idea is used... move around a lot while keeping constant damage going. He was getting rising fury to move him quickly in a circle strafe though, and currently that doesn't seem to work exactly like he showed. As a forward moving mini-gap closer it does work pretty well.

Apologies if I was condescending towards corrigan. I've just have a drastically different warrior experience than him I guess. I don't play 100% perfect either, I get hit all the time... but having downtime and feeling squishy isn't something I've ever noticed while solo leveling.

Another cool thing I found last night, you can get yourself out of combat while soloing a BAM and bandage if you fucked up... and the BAM wont reset or anything if you just keep them around their spawn area. I was taking one of those tentacle type BAMs that like to do some pretty sudden AOE and he got me very low HP. Rolled around and stopped attacking long enough that my character sheathed weapons and I was able to bandage up between dashing around. Gives you a nice margine of error on BAMs that way if you do take damage.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    This I'm aware, I'm saying all his posts are. WARRIORS BEST EVER. NEVER GET HURT. DO MOST DPS. CAN BRING BACK DEAD. CURE BLINDNESS. FEED THE HUNGRY. NEVER GET HIT EVER. EVERYTHING MAKE YOU INVINCIBLE. DEEPS A DERPS A DODGE.

I dont think I've seen a single moderate post, nor have I ever seen him comment on how its standard practice not to bring warriors to hardmode dungeons because they become a liability at endgame. Unless its for their endurance debuff. Herp.

But if you go by what he says, warriors are the best tank/dps/support/healers/everythingeversoloentiregamelongtime.

Who's being a dick?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Nought wrote: »

I think the guy in the video is fantastic. Saying that most class guides are some person basically reading the tooltips of every ability... its true. Most video guides for MMOs are just that, some goober spending 20 minutes reading off tooltips.

I have the exact same issues with rising fury, so I think either something was slightly different in the head start/beta when he made that or its just cause he was human with different hitboxes? I dunno.
    He was capped at 38 in that video, and things change since then as you surely know. Circle strafing with combo attacks rarely happens anymore, but the same idea is used... move around a lot while keeping constant damage going. He was getting rising fury to move him quickly in a circle strafe though, and currently that doesn't seem to work exactly like he showed. As a forward moving mini-gap closer it does work pretty well.

Apologies if I was condescending towards corrigan. I've just have a drastically different warrior experience than him I guess. I don't play 100% perfect either, I get hit all the time... but having downtime and feeling squishy isn't something I've ever noticed while solo leveling.

Another cool thing I found last night, you can get yourself out of combat while soloing a BAM and bandage if you fucked up... and the BAM wont reset or anything if you just keep them around their spawn area. I was taking one of those tentacle type BAMs that like to do some pretty sudden AOE and he got me very low HP. Rolled around and stopped attacking long enough that my character sheathed weapons and I was able to bandage up between dashing around. Gives you a nice margine of error on BAMs that way if you do take damage.

Sorry, didn't mean to call you out but your posts have had a bit of an edge to them :)

And yes, he's right about most class guides, but if you listen to what he says in the first 15sec of the video, he's calling the people that watch those videos retarded, not the ones making them. If he could refrain from some of the colour commentary the video would have been a bit more newbie friendly to special snowflakes like me.

As you say, the secret to Warriors seem to be that you should never be truly stationary. At least not without a good reason.

I wish I was better at the ability names, but the first big nuke you get. When I use that I have a hard time positioning myself, so I generally just point at the mob and activate it. This means most mobs get ready to hit with a nuke, so I usually follow it up with leap to avoid any damage.

As said, we don't get the big crits, but we hit more than any other class, and can keep mobile while doing it.

A tip on some of the mobs from 1-20. Don't always move behind the mob, at least not when you first encounter it, so there seem to be quite a few that also attack behind them. Warthogs, Centaurs and Unicorns to mention the ones I can remember.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This game has made me realize something: I'm more of a PK than a PKK.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    Political system coming very soon: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/news-announcements/topics/Upcoming-Political-System-Get-Ready

Is this something WANG is interested in?

Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Maywind wrote: »
    Political system coming very soon: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/news-announcements/topics/Upcoming-Political-System-Get-Ready

I think it's something people have expressed interest in, but I don't know how realistic it is - we just don't have the scale. Consider that WANG has what, 200 members? And 670ish favor as of this morning, while the SA guild is capped and has over 3k favor, I just don't know if we have the awareness.

Also 3k gold to put your name in the hat? Eeep.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options

I think it's something people have expressed interest in, but I don't know how realistic it is - we just don't have the scale. Consider that WANG has what, 200 members? And 670ish favor as of this morning, while the SA guild is capped and has over 3k favor, I just don't know if we have the awareness.

3k just to put our guild master in though right?

Later on the game just throws money at you. A single level 50 should have over 1000 gold at least, unless they blow it all on the broker of course. Should be really easy to pool that from everyone over lvl 50. I imagine our levels 60s have drastically more gold if the increase from 50-60 while grinding is like the 40-50 increase.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Please stop face tanking stuff. Warriors do NOT have to take damage, they can kite anything all day if they need to.

The warrior's primary problem is that, when killing multiple anything, you can't dodge EVERYTHING lest you go OOM and never do any actual damage.

Packs of minions are a great example of this. As a priest or zerk, I have zero issue with a pack of minions, but as a warrior? Yeah, you're going to take some damage unless you intend to circle kite the entire pack, doing little bits of damage here and there the entire time, and I have to drag time efficiency into the discussion at that point. You have vortex slash, but that's another great way to speed yourself out of mana.

Same is true for fighting multiple full sized mobs with staggered attacks: you can't dodge them all, nor are you armored enough to shrug off their attacks like a zerk.

Warriors excel in two places: fighting a single target (such as a boss) and catching and shutting down healers in PvP.

TheRealDestian on
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    The political system looks like one guild per province and there are 15 active provinces so it might be possible for our guild to control an area.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    3k gold and 100 of the guild quest reward tokens to put a guild leader as candidate. Wonder if that's per province or to be put up as a candidate for all provinces?

I would like to see our guild be involved in the political stuff. If for no other reason then to see what the perks are like for the individual guild members.

Would be cool to control the Arcadia province.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Quoted from the EME post:
    Each candidate will declare for a particular province, provide a statement of candidacy, and pay a registration fee of 100 Catharnach awards and 3,000 gold. All candidates will need to register before the election deadline, which we will announce prominently on the website and in game.

Sounds like each candidate can only declare one province.

In terms of province, it's best to control the one with the most player traffic and money flow. Arcadia is great right now because a ton of people are level 11-23. Poporia and Freeholds are good too since a lot of players are level 24-40 right now (may have more money flow than Arcadia due to being higher level).

Maywind on
  • Options
    Unless there's something I'm missing about all of the middle zones Arcadia and the last couple of zones would probably be the highest contested to control due to the gains from them?

Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    Tierwulf wrote: »
    Unless there's something I'm missing about all of the middle zones Arcadia and the last couple of zones would probably be the highest contested to control due to the gains from them?

Isn't it a bit too early for the last couple of zones to be highly contested right now? Maybe a month down the road I can definitely see that.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Tierwulf wrote: »

Isn't it a bit too early for the last couple of zones to be highly contested right now? Maybe a month down the road I can definitely see that.

They might be contested not because they are heavily trafficked yet but because there's the perception that any players in those high-level provinces have tons of gold that can be taxed away.

One thing to do might be to quietly snag a mid-40's province, since people might not contest those as strongly as a low or high zone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    going for a mid level with an instance in it that people will just be getting to looks sound. the NT area is fairly dead now, but the CR area was crazy busy. all those people are going to be moving to NT soon.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    If a number of people are moving into the Castanica region or Kaiator (sp?), then those might be worth nabbing. Leveling slows down at that point and some of the purchases are higher dollar, so a percentage of that spending will be good.

Going to need people to figure out where decent numbers will be questing and trying to take it.

Plus a bunch of people running the guild quests to keep those tokens coming in.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So I am on Dragon...fall? The PvE server. Rolled a Mystic named Kageno who looks a bit like my dog did when he was a puppy. (Aww.)

Anyhoo. Wow. Movement. I'm not an FPS player at all so this is going to take some getting used to. And is it me or is there no strafe?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Warrior is EXTREMELY Squishy before level 25ish. Their damage output doesnt make up for how much damage they take fighting anything. Your options are to dodge every hit from every mob, or bring a shitton of health regen pots and bandages while you quest. I can report that once you're past 26 you get really strong and can take down lots of stuff.

Also if you're leveling a warrior solo, theres no reason not to be in defensive stance. You get extra damage mitigation, and all it costs is some MP drain. You could try being in aggressive stance but the damage you take doesnt make up for the slightly faster killing speed.

The only single thing that can cause issues is caster mobs who do an attack that locks on. Not caster aoe or anything, thats easy as shit to avoid. However at early levels smoke clone and the possible stun from taunt can mitigate this. At later levels you have backstab for a stun. I noticed you mentioned last night that something killed you from 60% or something to dead... unless you used it, smoke clone solves that problem easy. If smoke clone is on cooldown, well timed death from above make you invincible...

Also why level in defensive stance? Its just going to be slower. I've used aggressive stance while soloing, ever since I trained it. You don't need any extra mitigation if you simply don't let shit hit you. I also use deadly gamble everytime its available... why not, kills shit quicker so I dodge less.

I was talking about from 1-mid 20s when 90% of the early quests involve minions that bumrush you and you don't have most of the AEs needed to kill them quickly. I specifically put that in the first line of my post. :p

When im grinding quests that are lower or equal level than me, I'm ripping through things so fast they hit me once or twice and don't really worry about the damage I might be taking. I go through about 15ish mobs to get to 60% health, then a boss caster that I took down to 30% health in about 2 seconds just casts one spell that hit me for over 70% of my health. I was not complaining about being hit too hard, it was a 'oh hell I wasn't expecting to be destroyed randomly' since none of the other mobs I had been fighting for the past hour had done any real damage to me whatsoever so it was a shock.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I am on Dragon...fall? The PvE server. Rolled a Mystic named Kageno who looks a bit like my dog did when he was a puppy. (Aww.)

Anyhoo. Wow. Movement. I'm not an FPS player at all so this is going to take some getting used to. And is it me or is there no strafe?

A and D use them while keeping your crosshairs on an enemy, I mean it's not technically a strafe since you aren't side stepping but it is how you would circle the enemy.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

What happens when you hit your "a" and "d" keys?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The warrior's primary problem is that, when killing multiple anything, you can't dodge EVERYTHING lest you go OOM and never do any actual damage.

Packs of minions are a great example of this. As a priest or zerk, I have zero issue with a pack of minions, but as a warrior? Yeah, you're going to take some damage unless you intend to circle kite the entire pack, doing little bits of damage here and there the entire time, and I have to drag time efficiency into the discussion at that point. You have vortex slash, but that's another great way to speed yourself out of mana.

Same is true for fighting multiple full sized mobs with staggered attacks: you can't dodge them all, nor are you armored enough to shrug off their attacks like a zerk.

Warriors excel in two places: fighting a single target (such as a boss) and catching and shutting down healers in PvP.

Are you talking about solo or in a group? Solo non-dungeon minions don't do enough damage to have the need to dodge everything they do. I usually run around minions in a circle til they group up and then do a combo that will hit them all. If there is a non-minion with them i use backstab and drop that mob first.
    If its two regular mobs, the first one dies before the second one can react. Then backstab the second or dodge around him if someone doesn't have backstab yet.

Tanking in a dungeon with multiple mobs, shadow clone. By the time its gone some mobs should be dead. If more than one are alive, death from above any big attacks, if thats on cooldown roll AWAY from the mob and use combative strike before they reposition. If you know certain attacks don't do massive damage, then use a damage mitigation attack. You only take half damage when using pounce, so time that during their attack... followed by rain of blows which reduces damage by 30%. Pounce > RoB is the basic tank damage combo that you can do safely since you'll take less damage... also rising fury can be used in a pinch for 20% reduction. This is all if death from above is on cooldown, because it makes you completely invincible.

edit: I also realize that endgame tanking is pretty much lancer (for now), because the margine of error on warrior is to tiny since any small fuck up gets people 1 shotted.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options

Just as a reminder we actually have about 175-180 guild members and I'm pretty certain a good 20-40% of that is alts. I've yet to see more than 30 people on during peak. We'd have to either take a grassroots or an assassin's approach to the politics game. But I'm interested, sure.

• Options
    SwirleeSwirlee Epic Shill Guy TexAssRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wonder how long til people start dropping the game? Usually after the first free month eh?

Swirlee on
    Straight White Male = lowest difficulty setting in game Real Life
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    I was thinking of dropping it after the free month, got a few classes I was interested in to the 30s. Then decided to finally give Lancer a shot even though I became tired of tanking in WoW and thought it looked super boring compared to Slayer or Sorc. Welp. I think I'm going to have to sub for another month at least.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Ah, sorry. When I said "strafe" I was thinking along the lines of "step sideways while still facing forward." A & D make you face left/right and then run. I guess I'm thinking my face should still be aimed at the target instead of actually turning before moving.

Like I said, I need to get used to it. :)

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I see. You abilities should still fire the direction your cursor is pointing, although I think there is an option to change it to the direction you are moving.

This discussion has been closed.