As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google News Badges: Israel/Palestine Still Broken for 1000/1000, Will Be Fixed Next Update

RentRent I'm always rightFuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Google News Badges!

Have you ever thought to yourself when reading the news, "Man, I really like staying informed but what I really want, what I really need right fucking now is some sort of Achievement-esque system where I can track and compare (and simultaneously brag about to my friends) my news habits?" Well then look no goddamn further than Google News Badges!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP5szEn2dxs

Your badges get upgraded as you read in more specific topics, from silver to gold to platinum to finally ultimate. FUCK YEAH, ULTIMATE! Do you know how fucking badass ultimate badges are? Basically, you are the most informed motherfucker on the planet if you get an ultimate badge in something. You are a mini Google. That is how knowledgable you are on that topic.

They're linked to your Google account and you can compare them to friends! Imagine the potential. Like, say you're at a party with your douche friend Chet. He's one of those dickholes who always knows something about everything. What an ass! Well, you're talking to him right, and suddenly it takes a turn to an arguement about the potentiality for Comet Kohoutek to pass within Earth's orbit in the next century. You're really going at it, neither side giving in, when suddenly he pulls out the trump card- "I'm an astrophysicist".

Oh snap dog, he just laid a Sol's Core-sized burn on your ass (within 5 Kelvin)! What you gonna do? He frontin', and you best show that bitch up. You could just shank his ass with your 6" butterfly, but you decide to take out your Android smartphone (of course it's an Android. iPhone? You ain't no pussy.), navigate to your Badges page, and show him your Ultimate badge in Astronomy.

DAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN! Chet immediately bursts into tears, shamed by your gross display of intellectual superiority, and assumes the fetal position for the rest of the soiree. Now you, the highly intelligent, devilishly handsome, and hilariously funny life of the party proceed to take his money, as is the custom for issuing him such a verbal beatdown. You take his girlfriend as well, because-let's face it-women are property. You know this because of your Ultimate badge in Gender Relations. And it's all thanks to Google. Fuck yeah, Google!

No but seriously, this might be an interesting way to get younger people interested in staying informed. And, at the end of the day, at least Badges are still more meaningful than Trophies! BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! Haha!

Rent on

• Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    i don't know, perhaps this will cause more people to read more news about a variety of subjects. or perhaps this is google wave.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't like to read basketball, who wants to grind the basketball badge for me?

Alegis on
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    it does make one wonder how they determine if the article is "read" or not. what would stop people from simply clicking on links until they got whatever badge they were after without actually reading them? also, does variety of sources count for anything? i haven't watched the video because i'm on a computer at school in the lab, so maybe that answers some questions?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Rent, I laughed so hard at that I started having trouble breathing for a minute.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Rent, you just want more medals and ribbons in a relevant context.

I know you do.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    Reported OP for awesome. Also what's next, badges for commenting on youtube videos?

"Ding! Just got Ultimate in homophobia, now I'm goin' for plat in Racial Slurs!"

sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote:
    I don't like to read basketball, who wants to grind the basketball badge for me?

$5 per badge sounds like reasonable fee, just give me all account info. I promise wont email spam pople with it.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Dangerous wrote:
    Reported OP for awesome. Also what's next, badges for commenting on youtube videos?

well, considering google owns youtube...yes

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wait, this seems real. I thought it was a joke post but yes, the Google News blog does in fact, really announce the badges

http://googlenewsblog.blogspot.com/

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I am looking for my badges. I dont see any. I WANT MY BADGES. I WANT THEM ON MY GOOGLE+.

INTERGRATE MY ENTIRE LIFE, GOOGLE.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sooner or later, all of our Achievements across every activity we ever do will be integrated into an all-inclusive HumanScore that floats over the left side of your head holographically at all times, and then we can begin the new caste system.