As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the good old GOG.com thread, go find the new GOG thread.com

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Alan Wake without GFWL.

Might well end up buying that.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm only assuming it doesn't. I don't know that for sure.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have the GoG version and can confirm it doesn't. Unless it magically runs in the background, it doesn't appear to be a part of this version.

Hah, and as fate would have it, Steam's Midweek Madness sale is Alan Wake at the same price.

Decoy on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Amazon Digital, too.

steam_sig.png
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Alan Wake: American Nightmare is on preorder now for $13.49, or $11.24 if you have Alan Wake on GOG.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    jimi82 wrote: »
    Alan Wake was awesome I didn't expect anything less from the makers of a classic like max payne

It reminded me a lot of MP too, which was awesome, and that was before I even knew it was from the same guys.

Steam: offday
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Six classic games released today (technically), Quest for Glory 1-5 and Zeus + Poseidon expansion, $9.99 each.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »

Today is a glorious day.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Zeus looks awesome. Might buy that if the weekend deal on Steam isn't anything worth getting?

Any thoughts on it?

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Six classic games released today (technically), Quest for Glory 1-5 and Zeus + Poseidon expansion, $9.99 each.

noooooooooooooooo

and by that I mean

yesssssssssssssss

I have no money and I must play Quest for Glory

edit: I've only ever heard good things about the Zeus game. It's related to Pharaoh and Caesar, iirc, but with more magic and influence from the gods.

Tamin on
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    Alan Wake is easily one of the finest games made this generation. If you haven't played it do. Oh and please take the time to read everything, you'll enjoy the game more.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nice. That QFG pack contains both versions of the first game.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Nice. That QFG pack contains both versions of the first game.

The next question is did they fix 5 on modern OS's. It always used to crash during certain cutscenes :(

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »

Today is a glorious day.

Yes it is, this is a fantastic release day.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    Ooh, Zeus looks awesome. Might buy that if the weekend deal on Steam isn't anything worth getting?

Any thoughts on it?

Same company as Caesar 3, which was a pretty awesome game. They're RTS games focused on the city building, economic and social aspects, I don't think I ever even got in a battle playing Caesar 3, but it's been a while.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    holy crap, quest for glory!

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Seeing QfG in the thread title made my heart stop.

Granted, I own 1, 2, & 4 already but $10 for 3 & 5 is worth it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Everybody in this thread that does not own QFG needs to buy it now. Send GOG all of your monies. All of them.

Syphyre wrote: »
    Everybody in this thread that does not own QFG needs to buy it now. Send GOG all of your monies. All of them.

I have no money

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »

Any thoughts on it?

Same company as Caesar 3, which was a pretty awesome game. They're RTS games focused on the city building, economic and social aspects, I don't think I ever even got in a battle playing Caesar 3, but it's been a while.

Care to elaborate any more on this? I never played Caesar either, but this looks really cool.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    One thing that Zeus has over Caesar: You don't have to put your video settings to 16-bit in order to run it in a window.

steam_sig.png
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    What's the general opinion on Quest for Glory 2: should one play the EGA original or the AGD VGA fan remake?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    What's the general opinion on Quest for Glory 2: should one play the EGA original or the AGD VGA fan remake?

Both versions are worth playing. If you don't mind the text-parser input, I would do EGA QFG1/2 first. However the point and click for VGA QFG1/2 are indeed easier to get into.

If you intend to play through them once, go with the Remake.

edited May 2012
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Any thoughts on it?

Care to elaborate any more on this? I never played Caesar either, but this looks really cool.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try.

You're given a fairly large plot of land, completely wild, with a single dirt road running through it. There may be wheat, or a clay deposit, or some stone in the area.

You have a treasury, and (once the game gets going) can spend money putting down more dirt roads; zoning for houses; building granaries, farms, markets and so on.

The goal is to attract as many people to your city as you can, while staving off disasters like buildings catching fire or collapsing due to not being up to code.

Each house can only support a certain number of families, so a goal is to raise the property value. You do this by ensuring the residents have access to markets, plazas, theaters, running water, being visited by the fire / police marshals, and so on.

There is also an import / export system and taxation to gain money.

One of the cool things is watching the houses evolve from simple shelters to grandiose mansions. Roads also automatically upgrade from dirt to cobblestone as the area's value go up.

Even in Pharaoh (and possibly Caesar) the gods exist and are quite capable of sending disasters at you if you refuse to build temples and shrines. There's also bonuses if you dedicate your city to a specific deity, I believe.

It's very intricate, and not much of an RTS (from what I've played). The better example is Sim City: But In Rome.

Tamin on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Any thoughts on it?

They are basically variations on the SimCity style of game. Caesar 3, Pharoah, and Zeus are all lot of fun if you like that style of game.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Sounds pretty good. I'll definitely pick it up when my backlog isn't so full. Thanks.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bah. I was playing them back when they were called Hero's Quest.

... yeah, I don't want to get sued. Quest for Glory it is!

Also, if you want a taste of the series (which is a hybrid between RPG and point and click adventure game), you can download the AGD Interactive version of QfG 2 for free. One of the big features of the series is that you are the same hero in all 5 games, and you can import the legacy hero from previous games into the next game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    OMG, I loved Pharoah! I could never get super far into it, but I bought it twice (once because it looked amazing, twice because my first copy got scratched to hell and back). I can't believe that's not on GoG.com. Considering I thought Tamin's writeup was about Pharoah and not Zeus, I think I'll need to buy this when I get paid tomorrow.

edited May 2012
    Just to be clear, I haven't played Zeus / Poseidon. I was describing Caesar 3 specifically, in response to his, "I never played Caesar either", but Pharaoh, Zeus, and Caesar 3 are all extremely similar games.

Tamin on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That's even more amusing then. You may as well have described Pharoah, because that was pretty much exactly how it's played.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    They are all very similar, but each successive game in the series had more polish. Zeus+poseidon is pretty much considered to be the pinnacle from a gameplay perspective (the aesthetics are purely down to personal taste) but there was another one after (chinese-based) but by then the industry had moved beyond a fondness for 2d so it was mostly overlooked.

Then there was a Ceaser 4, but that was not as good and generally is ignored.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tamin wrote: »

noooooooooooooooo

and by that I mean

yesssssssssssssss

I have no money and I must play Quest for Glory

edit: I've only ever heard good things about the Zeus game. It's related to Pharaoh and Caesar, iirc, but with more magic and influence from the gods.

Zeus comes between Pharoah and Emperor in the series (Caesar 3 -> Pharoah -> Zeus -> Emperor -> Caesar 4). It has several very nice modernizations compared to Pharoah that led to weird building patterns (eg: in pharoah where you'd have a bunch of entertainment plaza things out in the middle of the desert with a single house).

It also has the best military / nobles system of the series IMO. In Zeus, rather than nobles just being a prestige thing that generates a lot of money (which is such a weird anachronism as currency wasn't invented until well after the end of the Egyptian New Kingdom) in Zeus the nobles are your warrior class. The more you upgrade their villas the better soldiers they are.

The Poseidon expansion also gets pretty crazy as it takes place on Atlantis.

edit: oh also note that Emperor is 2d and in generally the same engine as the rest of the series. With Caesar 4 they made a new 3d engine but it actually was a good transition. In terms of gameplay it is the same small improvment on the previous game that all the previous ones were.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Remember that while not technically a part of the series, Children of the Nile should get a mention.

SimCity Societies, not so much.

steam_sig.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Children of the Nile plays really differentially than the Sierra series. It's good times though yeah. But the underlying systems work totally differently.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular

can the VGA remake import a character from the first game and export one for later ones?

sig.gif
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular

can the VGA remake import a character from the first game and export one for later ones?
    It can indeed.

steam_sig.png
  • DgnBiscuitDgnBiscuit Registered User regular
    Children of the Nile plays really differentially than the Sierra series. It's good times though yeah. But the underlying systems work totally differently.

It get's boring *really* fast though. I have yet to see someone make a browser based strategy game for a massive audience that has more than about a hour's worth of playing value (as in, total time in game, not time spent waiting for shit to happen).

-DB
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    did anyone ever get a profile going for soul reaver pad support?

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Take note that the soundtrack isn't available on the GoG edition, only on the Collector's Edition extras on Steam.
    On the other hand, as far as I can tell, the "making of" book and all of the videos are available in the GOG version automatically, but are only in the Collector's Edition (which is $10 more) on Steam. With the sales on the game that are running on both platforms right now, the difference between the GOG version and the Steam version is that the GOG version has more content for the same price as the basic version on Steam, and only the Steam version has the soundtrack available, if you pony up another $10 for the Collector's Edition.