As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    neville wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    so this whole shawarma obsession triggered by a certain movie reminded me that a place a short walk from my work is locally famous for it's shawarma.

Having had lunch there today, I can see why. They have 4 different regional variations, I went with "The Lebanese" which was spiced chicken + lettuce, fries, & pickles with garlic sauce in a pita. It was amazing.

Makes me miss Döner kebabs from Germany (well, when I was in Germany... they were typically made by Turkish immigrants).
    So awesome

Someone else to share my pain! Those kebabs were the greatest kebabs I have ever shoved in my kebab hole

those were sooooo good

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So speaking of secrets.

Whats the secret to making a pot roast that s actually fall apart tender. My mother made them all the time but it was never a garentee that it would come out this way. She generally used either a slow cooker or cooked them in the oven at like 200 degrees all night long.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    low, slow, moist cooking

easysig2.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    so this whole shawarma obsession triggered by a certain movie reminded me that a place a short walk from my work is locally famous for it's shawarma.

Having had lunch there today, I can see why. They have 4 different regional variations, I went with "The Lebanese" which was spiced chicken + lettuce, fries, & pickles with garlic sauce in a pita. It was amazing.

Makes me miss Döner kebabs from Germany (well, when I was in Germany... they were typically made by Turkish immigrants).
    So awesome

We've got a regional variation on Döner kebabs or Gyros here called Donairs that is fantastic 2am post-bar food. Basically the same sort of meat, with a sweet sauce instead of the tzatziki, diced tomatoes and diced onions wrapped in a pita.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Donner kebabs are terribad.

Well if its donner meat thats the horrible mechanically reclaimed leftovers that they use in the UK. In most cases it will be all the offcuts of meat that have been mecahnically removed from the bones, but are two small to be sold as individual cuts. This can also include parts that aren't as popular such as the animals facial muscles and bits of sinew etc. Basically any leftover bits.
    It's then all mashed up and compressed together, mixed with herbs and the like, stuck on a stick and sent to your local kebab shop where they cook it.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    face meat is amazing

easysig2.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Well if its donner meat thats the horrible mechanically reclaimed leftovers that they use in the UK. In most cases it will be all the offcuts of meat that have been mecahnically removed from the bones, but are two small to be sold as individual cuts. This can also include parts that aren't as popular such as the animals facial muscles and bits of sinew etc. Basically any leftover bits.
    It's then all mashed up and compressed together, mixed with herbs and the like, stuck on a stick and sent to your local kebab shop where they cook it.

You wouldn't be so negative about Donner meat if it was all you had to eat while trapped in the mountains for months in winter.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

You're only sort of right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NrNJgQuguU

Donner is delicious.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    face meat is amazing

Donner kebabs....Donner...Party?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Late to the show, read the first couple of pages talking about roasting chicken... if you aren't using Thomas Keller's method, you are doing it wrong:
    http://youtu.be/EWLt6G85zC4

And a link to his roast chicken with root vegetables:
    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2010/01/thomas_kellers.html

Ok back to reading through the thread...

Rhah on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i ate a pig's cheek once
    it was tasty
    sort of fatty, but delicious

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Cheek is almost always delicious.

Fish, beef, pig....don't turn it down if you have the option.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Hmmm, maybe I'll give donner another try. But I do love shish kebab so much.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Face meats mmmmmmm

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I don't know if I have ever had face meat. I've had hocks.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular

Your opinions are invalid.

nevillexmassig1.png
    azith28 wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    face meat is amazing

Donner kebabs....Donner...Party?

That's the joke I was going for, at least.

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Food thread: if your bread tastes like mold, but you don't see any no matter how hard you search, don't assume that you're going nuts or having a stroke. You are still eating mold, and the fuzz will show up tomorrow.

The more expensive the bread, the faster it is destroyed.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man it's just a lil mold

Man up and eat that shit

Also how come Americans don't eat seaweed very much? Seaweed is so delicious. It's so delicious I wasn't even sad when it showed up with a side dish of surprise hot dog yesterday, and surprise hot dog always makes me sad.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nori is the bomb. I prefer a bag of salted and sesame oil seasoned nori to most potato chips.

edit: What is suprise hot dog and why does it make you sad, Lost?

Reginald on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Surprise hot dog?

Why would that make you sad?

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Nori is awesome, for sure (it's called kim here)

But there are so many other seaweeds to enjoy!

wTMON.jpg

I just think it's sad that because they are relatively new on the scene tofu and seaweed get consigned to the "Hippy Vegan Bland" and "Wacky Asian Inedible" categories of cuisine so often.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I would like all of those, Lost. My favorite way to eat tofu is in extra silken in a soup with a really spicy red broth, and some mushrooms and maybe some really thin beef slices. When it's piping hot, pour a raw egg in there and let it cook. It's the cure for the common cold, I swear.

Yum!

My favourite "I can't breathe through my nose" curing food is kimchi jjigae, which, if you haven't had it, is hot kimchi stew with slices of pork belly and tofu in it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    Fun fact: On test days in Korea you shouldn't eat seaweed soup (called miyeokguk) because the slipperiness of the seaweed is equated with your score sliding down and you failing

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Yum!

My favourite "I can't breathe through my nose" curing food is kimchi jjigae, which, if you haven't had it, is hot kimchi stew with slices of pork belly and tofu in it.

One of my favorite dishes from when I was stationed there. I still order it when I can find it in small hole in the wall Korean places. It's about the only time I will eat Tofu though, as I just don't like the texture.

50433.png?1708759015
    Yah, the soup I was describing is actually soon tubu chigae, which is pretty much the same, minus the kimchi. I like my kimchi cold and refreshing, not hot.

I also really like dduk bok ki if the sauce is really spicy. Man, now I want some delicious spicy food.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

When I was in China on business, me and my boss were travelling with 3 Hong Kong locals from our office over there.

We went to a restaurant and got a whole fish and the three of them were literally fighting over who got the cheeks. Like actually vitriolically yelling at each other in Cantonese in a crowded restaurant.

Reginald wrote: »
    Yah, the soup I was describing is actually soon tubu chigae, which is pretty much the same, minus the kimchi. I like my kimchi cold and refreshing, not hot.

I also really like dduk bok ki if the sauce is really spicy. Man, now I want some delicious spicy food.

I thought maybe you were talking about sundubujjigae! Normally it doesn't have beef in it, but rather clams and sometimes pork, so I wasn't sure.

Also re: ddeokbokki, which I do not typically enjoy - there is a new restaurant here called meok-shi-don-na (roughly) which not only makes delicious ddeokbokki (surprisingly), the name makes me laugh every time. "Meok" comes from the verb "to eat" and "shi" from the verb "to pee," while "don" is money and "na" is an abbreviation of the verb "to leave/go out." So the restaurant name is eat-piss-pay-leave.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone come to Korea, we have great food.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    which dish is with cold noodles/cold broth and I wanna say a raw egg on top? Also, maybe called Nangmeon? or something like that.

Man, my memory of Korea is so old (was there from 87-89) that I forget things, and some things sound familiar. But I *think* I LOVE ddeokbokki if it's what I think it is judging by description and pictures.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    Yah I really only like ddeokbokki if the sauce is super good. I kind of ignore the rice cake. If I could, I would come to Korea and spend a week eating food and drinking and absorbing culture.

Instead I am a workaholic. :p

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

When I was in China on business, me and my boss were travelling with 3 Hong Kong locals from our office over there.

We went to a restaurant and got a whole fish and the three of them were literally fighting over who got the cheeks. Like actually vitriolically yelling at each other in Cantonese in a crowded restaurant.

It is incredibly impolite they didn't give it to you and your boss.

edited May 2012
    Yeah I'm really surprised! In Korea at least the higher ups/visitors from out of town get super-posh spoiled. Work-dinner culture here is ridiculous, though.

@Banzai5150 Mulnaengmyeon oh my god I have been jonesing for that all week! I was going to get it for lunch today but now the weather's a bit cold for cold soup, so I think I'll wait for next week...

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Our guys aren't really like that. They're plucky Chinese 20-year-olds who we talk to on Skype pretty much every day.

They have no problem telling us to fuck off

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Dave I am being offended on behalf of you then.

• mullymully Registered User regular
    so, sorbets
    are they as easy as it seems?
    any awesome dairy-free sorbetISH recipes?

I think they are! But it's possible that I feel really non-platonic about my ice cream maker.

Here are some recipes I have tried:

Plum Peach Lambic

Beet Blackberry

Okay I'm going to be honest literally every recipe I've made from Jeni's has been phenomenal so here are two more, melon and sour cherry lambic

RUVCwyu.jpg
    (I did not actually have a lambic when making the plum peach so I added some Leffe because ???)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    I don't really like Sorbet

or maybe it's that I love ice cream so much that sorbet feels and looks like ice cream but isn't and is therefore disappointing.

This discussion has been closed.