As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    The Peacock plans to add several new sitcoms to its roster to replace the old guard. A network spokesperson confirmed that Matthew Perry’s “Go On,” Anne Heche’s “Save Me,” Ryan Murphy’s “The New Normal,” Bill Pullman’s “1600 Penn” and Justin Kirk’s “Animal practice have all been picked up by NBC. Only time will tell which pilots actually earn a spot on the mid-season schedule.

I'll be honest, none of those shows sounds appealing at all. And we're sure this isn't a parody entertainment news site?

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Parody or not.

It is shit.

Community for life! six seasons and a movie!

• PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    I was just about to post that link. So sad. :-(

IcdplGM.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Wow. So NBC just doesn't give a fuck anymore, do they?

How much funnier will it be when they get neither ratings NOR critical acclaim?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    "Start preparing yourself for life without Liz Lemon, Jack Donaghy, Leslie Knope, Ron Swanson and whoever's in "Community.""

Is the person who wrote that article some contrarian who doesn't like Community because everyone else does?

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Huh. I am nearly positive that Chevy and I would disagree on what would make community funnier, but he was at least classy towards his castmates in that interview, and I agree with him as far as the show not really knowing what to do with him.

They did in Season 1 - Pierce worked in Season 1, by and large. Season 2 just bounced around with it, whereas the "Pierce is a dick" thing really should've been winding down fast after the documentary ep.

• PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    "Start preparing yourself for life without Liz Lemon, Jack Donaghy, Leslie Knope, Ron Swanson and whoever's in "Community.""

Is the person who wrote that article some contrarian who doesn't like Community because everyone else does?

This is exactly what I thought. All that needed was "...Swanson, Troy and Abed." but they decided to be a dick about it and imply that nobody watches Community...Way to go.

mcdermott wrote: »
    Huh. I am nearly positive that Chevy and I would disagree on what would make community funnier, but he was at least classy towards his castmates in that interview, and I agree with him as far as the show not really knowing what to do with him.

They did in Season 1 - Pierce worked in Season 1, by and large. Season 2 just bounced around with it, whereas the "Pierce is a B" thing really should've been winding down fast after the documentary ep.
    Fix'd

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    this sucks but being angry at nbc seems dumb. they need viewers, these shows have certainly had their time to get those viewers...

also being completely against upcoming shows based on titles and who is in them seems silly.

again this sucks but no need to be super negative about the future!

edit - and also may not be true I guess or probably isn't

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Re: Community, Parks, 30 Rock rumors: Maybe don't trust the 2-day-old unsourced report from the site you haven't heard of.

Seriously guys.

The only one that's official is 30 Rock. And always remember Chuck had four different final seasons and six different series finales.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    this sucks but being angry at nbc seems dumb. they need viewers, these shows have certainly had their time to get those viewers...

also being completely against upcoming shows based on titles and who is in them seems silly.

I don't know, the one by the glee person doesn't sound promising. Especially since most of glee's appeal (other than being on FOX with it's higher ratings in general) is crossover ratings from american idol

steam_sig.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Honestly, it smacks of delusion on part of the NBC execs. The golden age of television is over. It now has to compete with every other medium for peoples' attentions. Shows like Lost and Friends don't really exist anymore, and probably never will.

At least, not on any of the non-premium cable networks.

Hacksaw on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Honestly though, this is a golden age of television. There are more awesome things to watch on now than ever, they're just buried in a shit ton of crap.

Lh96QHG.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Aaaaaand most of those awesome things are on cable.

Lh96QHG.png
    Aaaaaand most of those awesome things are on cable.

Yup. AMC and HBO are top tier in my book. Basic access stuff like ABC/NBC/CBwhatever? Not so much.

Sidenote: Allison Brie was on The Tonight Show last night. Apparently she started out in this business as a children's birthday party clown, of all things.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Captain Tragedy on
    There are more awesome things to watch on now than ever

See, this is the problem. There are a lot of awesome things on television. And they all have to compete with each other and a number of different things for our attention. Meanwhile TV network execs still believe the glory days of ratings are still around. Sadly, they aren't.

Well, unless you're The Walking Dead. That show gets ratings like I get inappropriate boners.

What needs to happen is for TV execs to wake up to the new reality of on demand viewing.

I like 24 episode seasons as much as the next guy, but smaller seasons might be the way to go. British series are great because of how boiled down they have to be.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2012
    hello, rich people.

edit: this is going to be a clip show it looks like :)

TexiKen on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    What needs to happen is for TV execs to wake up to the new reality of on demand viewing.

I like 24 episode seasons as much as the next guy, but smaller seasons might be the way to go. British series are great because of how boiled down they have to be.

I actually don't like 24-episode seasons. I usually feel more fulfilled by a season of, say, Justified or The League or Breaking Bad than most network shows that run double the length. And usually I get to enjoy just as much story or nearly as many jokes, with more variety, and while spending less of my time on the couch. Win-win-win.

I really can't wait until the days of competing for "time slots" can fucking die. Too many excellent shows have died because they happened to be up against (or their network execs put them up against) other excellent shows, or mediocre but popular shows. Like, I'm gonna watch X hours of television in a week, which means I have time for Y shows, and because we live in the magical age of DVRs I don't generally have to choose which ones I watch based on when they air. We need to get it to where everybody is like this, so that then shows can be popular based solely on whether people watch them, not on whether they "win" against some other arbitrary show.

I have little doubt that NBC's steller midseason replacement will certainly put up better numbers than the beloved and critically adored shows they're axing to make space for them.

Like, even the ones that I think are well past their prime and ready to ride off into the sunset (The Office for sure, and probably 30 Rock) deserve a full-season sendoff. Oh well, fuck networks, I've always said that.

I had to really think hard to come up with any network shows I still watch. Just Fringe and Supernatural now, I think. And haven't watched either of those in forever, either.

mafia paintball???????????

why did we not get this?

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    They could do 13 clip shows and pretend like we had another 13 seasons.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Garrett. Holy shit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited May 2012
    Garrett. Holy shit.

He's a precog too!

edit: sorry Pillows and Blankets and Modern Warfare, you just got replaced as the best episode.

TexiKen on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Garrett. Holy shit.

He's a precog too!

Its a shame that the 'Troy realising things' animated gif hasn't been made yet, because it'd go great right here.

ygPIJ.gif
    It's confirmed: 13 episode season 4

And hopefully if the other pilots fail, it gets upticked a few episodes.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    What was Annie's last line at the end?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    ahahahaha if the other pilots fail.

That's a laugh. I won't be surprised when they order a back 9 pretty quickly in the fall.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

That's a laugh. I won't be surprised when they order a back 9 pretty quickly in the fall.

like this I don't get

hoping/expecting for new entertainment to fail based on virtually nothing is just strange to me

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular

like this I don't get

hoping/expecting for new entertainment to fail based on virtually nothing is just strange to me

Sometimes the creator and title are enough to expect it to fail.

Whitney. Are you there, Chelsea?. Rob.

They didn't announce it as Chevy Chase's Community.

I like Matthew Perry and I like Bill Pullman, so those shows seem interesting.

I wonder if 1600 Penn is going to be a sitcom set after Independence Day. If it isn't it needs to be.

Lh96QHG.png
    next week should be a lot of fun

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Garrett. Holy shit.

He's a precog too!

edit: sorry Pillows and Blankets and Modern Warfare, you just got replaced as the best episode.

I have to go travel in 4 hours and I haven't slept, but this episode was fucking worth it.

This is a better clip-show episode than the last one and I thought that was the best one in the universe.

just throwing in a Shutter Island parody and then deconstructing it like it fitted is absolutely brilliant. The asylum scenes are hilarious.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

like this I don't get

Oh, no, you got me wrong. I don't want or hope anything fails; unless it is explicitly bad of course.

I'm simply making a statement based on the last decade or so of new shows on NBC.

I mean, I just keep getting burned with shows that I find out I enjoy, or enjoy enough to give a chance, and they don't get a second season, if they even get a full first season.

The past year or two I've actually avoided shows that I know I'd probably like but know won't get picked up. Yes, I realize how that is self defeating; but I watch all my TV on Hulu anyway, so I don't really "count" as a viewer from the twisted perspective of studio execs that refuse to get with the times.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So no one knows what Annie's last line was?

edited May 2012
    Oh god, next year is shaping up to be a graveyard for shows I unabashedly love.

Breaking Bad, Community and Fringe.

HOW WILL I SPEND MY TIME NOW

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So no one knows what Annie's last line was?

Hold on, let me fast forward on the dvr.

*EDIT*
    Assuming you mean the bit at the end with Troy and Abed in the Morning... At Night, she says "You can shut up and go to sleep!"

iguanacus on
    Oh god, next year is shaping up to be a graveyard for shows I unabashedly love.

Breaking Bad, Community and Fringe.

HOW WILL I SPEND MY TIME NOW

Watch Justified.

Unless you've, already watched it, and don't like it.

In which case sell your TV.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

This is exactly what I thought. All that needed was "...Swanson, Troy and Abed." but they decided to be a dick about it and imply that nobody watches Community...Way to go.

Well, I mean it's not like they're wrong.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Need a Troy and Abed and Annie mug now!

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life