As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla]Democratic File System: And The Winner Is...

• Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    !Target: Bliss 101(you came up on the RNG, dude.)

Gorilla Salad on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    laikal wrote: »
    So it only gets more sane from here?

~lai
    Signing one's posts = Bad choice.

!lai -> Trashbin

!run FunkyWaltDogg.exe

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    retract: Skulk
    target: Gnasty

This game is weird. In a good way.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm pretty curious as to what the 'win' conditions are for the baddies, and if they're all on one team (which people have said is unlikely).

Is this the sort of thing we can get clairification on, or is it hidden for good reason?

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Defunker wrote: »
    I'm pretty curious as to what the 'win' conditions are for the baddies, and if they're all on one team (which people have said is unlikely).

Is this the sort of thing we can get clairification on, or is it hidden for good reason?

I wonder.

I mean, with power deflection and whatnot, I wonder if they automatically win via the usual "reduce the village to a number equal to less than our own group." Because powers can be deflected and redirected and whatnot so it may not be possible for them to swarm us with larger numbers.

You may have just answered for me why there are 12 of them; they may have to kill everyone else, or the percentage may be lower, like...twice as many malware files as other files may have to exist.

Drez on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Still overly complex. Can you elaborate on what Write Access Denial prevents?
    Clarification
    • Write Access Denial: Protects self being deleted by target file's group's private runtime.
    The documentation was unintentionally ambiguous.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Still overly complex. Can you elaborate on what Write Access Denial prevents?
    Clarification
    • Write Access Denial: Protects self being deleted by target file's group's private runtime.
    The documentation was unintentionally ambiguous.

Aha! Now see, if I'm reading this right, this confirms what I was thinking earlier.

There's more than one group of bad guys.

I don't think thorgot would let any one person be totally immune to being killed by the baddies. But he would let a person be immune to attack from one group of bad guys.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Load "Target Tuxkamen" ,8 , 1

Niceguy Myeye on
  • giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow...That was a random collection of delete commands ;)

Clarification: If a public power targets a person who ends up deleted that night via the main vote does the power still go off? I understand if this is something we are not supposed to know but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I suspect their are both hidden and public death commands(Aka vigilantes and Monster kills). That way we will notice that their are people always targeting someone that dies but we may also blame someone for something they didn't do.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Good morning fellow binary digit blocks. Hopefully we've all been backed-up onto magnetic tape if this doesn't go well.

It's going to be hard to read the public run-times for a while. Malware can use it to implicate a non-malicious file as well, so be cautious my brothers of the bit!

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    giltanis wrote: »
    Clarification: If a public power targets a person who ends up deleted that night via the main vote does the power still go off? I understand if this is something we are not supposed to know but I wanted to make sure.

redx.jpg

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    giltanis wrote: »

Also, I suspect their are both hidden and public death commands(Aka vigilantes and Monster kills). That way we will notice that their are people always targeting someone that dies but we may also blame someone for something they didn't do.

There are definately hidden death commands, aka: private runtimes (as opposed to public runtimes, which are activated via the 'target: player' command in the general forum).

The malware will definately have them, the vigilante probably will.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    What if there's a malware vigilante that can assimilate other runtimes? I hope not...

Drez on
  • SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    What if there's a malware vigilante that can assimilate other runtimes? I hope not...

Considering the amount of starting malware that would seem unlikly.

Also, Target Drez

Skulk on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thorgot wrote:
    DFS: There is no conversion, resurrection, or randomness, and every rule (except the order of powers) is known by at least one program.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited July 2007
    Skulk wrote: »

I thought that too, but if there are, say, multiple malware groups that are working against each other and not in tandem, then maybe they can assimilate each other's abilities if they kill each other off.

It's a plausible mechanic. I'm not sure this speculation is terribly helpful until we get our first narration, but it's interesting anyway.

Drez on
  • ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I hope so.
    00legcutusborgka0.jpg

Really though, there is no conversion. Multiple bad guy groups? Yes, pretty certain. The trojans, the virii, and the worms, or something like that.

Threelemmings on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Skulk wrote: »

I thought that too, but if there are, say, multiple malware groups that are working against each other and not in tandem, then maybe they can assimilate each other's abilities if they kill each other off.

It's a plausible mechanic. I'm not sure this speculation is terribly helpful until we get our first narration, but it's interesting anyway.

Oh. Disregard previous post, then.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited July 2007
    thorgot wrote:
    DFS: There is no conversion, resurrection, or randomness, and every rule (except the order of powers) is known by at least one program.

Conversion isn't the same thing as assimilation. Nobody's talking about conversion.

Let's say there are two malware groups of six each, and their jobs are to kill each other off and a whole bunch of us as well.

Let's say Group A has a certain set of abilities and Group B has a certain different set. Maybe one of them is a vigilante ability.

I wouldn't think of it as a conversion if one malware group could target a specific file in the other and steal that file's power.

edit: Nevermind. :P

edit2: Man, threelemmings thought I meant "conversion" too. By assimilation, I meant "power-stealing." Assimilating a runtime means taking that runtime from the file.

Drez on
    edited July 2007
    Another question: Does thorgot's wording mean that at least one program understands every runtime rule except order of operations? Or just that all the rules are known, but by different files?

Drez on
    edited July 2007
    Oohhh.... I didn't get the runtimes thing in context, I thought you meant assimilate the user.

Then... yes. I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a copy or steal ability, since there's a redirect and two types of blocks.

The image stays, however. :)

Threelemmings on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Another question: Does thorgot's wording mean that at least one program understands every runtime rule except order of operations? Or just that all the rules are known, but by different files?
    This would make sense.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Well, it's a great image.

Also: Skulk :(

Drez on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would guess that there are multiple bad guy groups.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some thoughts:

Write Access Denial: Protects self from being deleted by target file's group's private runtime.
    --Limited self guardian
    --Probably a bad guy or two has it.

Sweeper: Query whether or not target is malware.
    --Seer nuff said
    --Hopefully the bad guys don't have this power

Runtime Suppressor: Temporarily shuts down target's public runtime until the start of the next cycle.
    --Fairly useless power, since if you think somebody is a bad guy you should be voting them out rather than blocking there runtimes.
    --Probably a premium power for the bad guys to have

Filename Swapper: If target file is to be deleted, this file is deleted instead.
    --Patriot, in other words a guardian who dies after a succesful guard
    --Doubt the bad guys have this.

System Deletion Protocol: If this file is deleted, target is deleted as well.
    --Retributive vigilante
    --Less likely the bad guys have this

Runtime Redirector: Target's public runtime protocol is run on this file, instead.
    --Another premium power for the bad guys, especially if they figure out who the guardians are.

Public Runtime Logger: Query target's public runtime program.
    --limited seer
    --Another premium power for the bad guys

My best guess is that most bad guys have some combination of runtime suppresor, runtime redirector and public runtime logger, with maybe one or two per team having some other kind of public runtime.

I doubt there is assimilation, since I expect the bad guys don't have any extra powers other than there public runtimes (which may be unique and not on the above list) and there private kills.

frandelgearslip on
  • giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Its so hard to vote the first day...Also, I may not get very many clock cycles on the CPU today...Especially towards the end of the day.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    target: drez

Unknown User on
    edited July 2007
    vote: shamus

Unknown User on
    edited July 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    target: drez
    robothero wrote: »
    vote: shamus

Yes you make very good points :P

!retract cheez
    !vote robothero

!Target robothero

frandelgearslip on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ironically, I was a good special last game, but I'm the one being bandwagoned. Isn't it supposed to work the opposite way?

Shamus on
    edited July 2007
    Shamus wrote: »
    Ironically, I was a good special last game, but I'm the one being bandwagoned. Isn't it supposed to work the opposite way?

I think your getting bandwagoned because of your grudge kill against gnasty.

Anyway I would rather see robothero go he only makes posts that consist of nothing but votes or nothing but roleplaying and thus is very hard to identify whether he is a bad guy or not.

edit: If we are going to kill someone when we have nothing to go on I would rather take out a person who we will never really have anything to go on. (there is a reason that robothero usually survives to the final day).

frandelgearslip on
    edited July 2007

I think your getting bandwagoned because of your grudge kill against gnasty.

Anyway I would rather see robothero go he only makes posts that consist of nothing but votes or nothing but roleplaying and thus is very hard to identify whether he is a bad guy or not.

Ironically, I have no grudge against Gnasty at all. I'd go so far to say I'm one of the few people who don't carry grudges game-to-game.

Whatever.

Shamus on
    edited July 2007

Ironically, I have no grudge against Gnasty at all. I'd go so far to say I'm one of the few people who don't carry grudges game-to-game.

Whatever.

Ironically, we know you said this:
    For tonight, I'm gonna arrest Gnasty. Man, he's gonna hate me so much if I keep targeting him every game.

Unknown User on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I wish you guys would quit bringing that up. It was supposed to be a privileged player-GM comment and I screwed up by posting it.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited July 2007
    Wow, yeah..first time I realized that was public knowledge.

Nice. :^:

del Shamus

I'm not gonna waste my time trying to defend myself, now.

See ya'll next game.

Shamus on
    edited July 2007
    Psh, just don't kill Gnasty and it's done. Let's not over do this, folks.

Threelemmings on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    10 vote robothero
    20 goto 10

Niceguy Myeye on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Load "Target Tuxkamen" ,8 , 1

Wow. That was extremely nostalgic. Thumbs-up.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    okay so if nobody's ever wronged me in these games who do i vote for?

the wook on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the wook wrote: »
    okay so if nobody's ever wronged me in these games who do i vote for?

http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py

FunkyWaltDogg on