As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Friday, May 11, 2012 - Penny Arcade: The Series Season 3, Ep. 26: PAX East 2012

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Penny Arcade: The Series Season 3, Ep. 26: PAX East 2012
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/pax-east-2012
Tastefully straddling the line between documentary and guilty-pleasure voyeurism, Penny Arcade: The Series collects the bizarre continuum of one of the world's strangest companies. In this episode we'll take a look at the culture surrounding PAX.

Geth on

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    God damnit PATV episodes, stop making me cry.

Bunch of sluthorses, is what you are.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, Mike's face when he touched that lady's arc reactor.

Oh brilliant
  • Starkie24Starkie24 Registered User new member
    Just goes to show what people can achieve and the affect it can have on people. Great Stuff. Hoping to make it to PAX in a couple of years time.
    Also Go the All Blacks!! Love how Robert is wearing an All Blacks Jersey :)

• mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Originally, I wanted to post something like Maz- (curses!), but as that's been done -

I kind of feel like starting a crusade against the perception of gaming outside the gamer's bubble. Of course, it's become mainstream, but to the mainstream, gaming is "awesome" and "big guns" and, well, mindless. And publishers naturally supply that demand. But games fucking save lives. They can have just as much power as any other form of art (and I don't mean to beat that dead horse), and still one would have to justify the "sophistication" of liking games, or make the case that this is a viable career. Above the narrative potential, or the entertainment potential, or whatever else games consist of, they foster a community, and as far as I know, no other Expo, even though I have no particular expertise in that field, actually makes that clear to the world, or the attendees, for that matter.

This, btw., is the reason the tickets were sold out on day one. Don't blame PAX. Blame all the other Expos.

And god damnit, one such episodes is worth more than 10 4th panels. Yes, I had to end on a cynical note.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I never stop being amazed at the people in PAX episodes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Every one of these PAX episodes makes me cry. Every time.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I already watched these Q&As on twitchtv and every story still made me tear up.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Guy in the wheelchair didn't make me sad so much as made me want to lay a high 5 on him.

Oh brilliant
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Well yeah none of the stories were really sad, per se; they were inspiration-tears.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    I'm in this episode!

stupid sexystealthy vantage point cameramen

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • RaveBombRaveBomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    On one hand, I really want an inspirational story to share with G&T one day. On the other hand, knowing me, I probably wouldn't survive it.

RaveBomb on
    I'm off to pirate more music, steal software, and knock down little old ladies, then later I'm going to cover my self in Yak's blood, and lay in a pentagram, while reading some Marxist literature and praying to a heathen god.

tata
  • jm4ckiejm4ckie Brooklyn, NYRegistered User new member

I just showed this to Serene (the lady in the video) and she laughed so hard she chortled. Good times. :)

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I was THERE for the stories and I still teared up. Cannot wait to come back next year.

Team Pussy Crumbs!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    Guy in the wheelchair didn't make me sad so much as made me want to lay a high 5 on him.

I will be available for any and all high fives at next year's PAX East. I've got to say, standing up and giving Mike that hug was definitely the highlight of my PAX experience so far. :)

• DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Going to have to make the pilgrimage to a Pax one day. Great to see the hope and love that Mike and Jerry bring into peoples lives, and cool seeing the Khoo in that All-Blacks jersey, if I ever make it there I'll give him a Kangaroos jersey (League fan here).

Also would love to see an episode of PATV on the Omegathon (if it still happens?)

Ozzie Slut-horse

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The vibe these videos post... God damn I miss being in that culture more. Unfortunately I'm stuck at the point in the US furthest from PAX. ... At least Indy is right over there, right guys?

On a technical note: I don't know if it is a big deal or not, but after the vid the blip.tv episodes all go back to Season 2 and Checkpoint. Dunno what causes that, or if it's some backend/RSS thing screwing up.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pussycrumbs doesn't actually sound that bad. Sounds like it's on par with 'fiddlesticks.'

"Oh pussycrumbs, I've trodden on a spoiled herring!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    These PAX episodes are literally magical. Always. Even if you guys don't deserve "it" I hope "it" never stops as long as there's a universe.

Aces to see Khoo looking badass in the ABs jersey too.

Bucho on
  • UnstaUnsta Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The stories in that video are only a small sample of some of the great intimate moments shared during the various Q&A sessions.

But on a lighter note, lemme tell you, that horse mask was the best $20 I ever spent when they announced Sluthorse as the swear word.

Magic I tell you - pure magic!

Unsta on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, I was slightly disappointed by the amount of shots for this episode that were the same ones used for the TwitchTV broadcasts (which are still up), but the stories are still amazing. Those and the shot of the squad of Imperial Guardsmen make up for it.

jm4ckie wrote: »

I just showed this to Serene (the lady in the video) and she laughed so hard she chortled. Good times. :)

I will be available for any and all high fives at next year's PAX East. I've got to say, standing up and giving Mike that hug was definitely the highlight of my PAX experience so far. :)

*Internet high fives all around*

Now to become mayor of Dallas and try to put together a PAX South.....

Dedwrekka on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I will move back home and vote for you.

steam_sig.png
  • lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    DexOZ wrote: »
    Also would love to see an episode of PATV on the Omegathon (if it still happens?)

It does still happen and is the huge closing event - I was there for the last two of them at PAX East. There is (very brief) footage of the event at the end of the episode, where Mike/Jerry/Khoo/Smart-Glasses Erica are shown playing a board game, and then a bunch of other people you wouldn't recognize playing it, and two of them celebrating on stage w/ Mike/Jerry. There's also some brief footage of the Khoo & A (Q&A w/ guess who), which was awesome.

The Omegathon finale game was Crokinole, which is a circular variant of shuffleboard, and is also apparently Canadian in nature (they sang O' Canada before starting, LOL). It was fun, but it dragged on a bit, one of the rules was unclear and made it appear as though they'd made a scoring mistake, and one team was on the verge of winning and then collapsed/failed to win like 1 last point for 30 min straight and lost!

Last year was head-to-head arcade Ikaruga - which was fucking amazing! Long live Naomi/Dreamcast! :)

Speaking of the Omegathon finale... they kinda need to do something w/ the main theatre in the BCEC, b/c unless you're in the front row, you literally cannot see the stage (makes me very jealous of that PAX Prime episode with the claw/crane/grabber machine which was an actual theatre with seats & viewing angles & everything!).

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    DexOZ wrote: »

Ozzie Slut-horse

http://www.twitch.tv/pax/b/314716834
    The above is the link to the PAX East Twitch.tv coverage of the event. It's the first of two Omegathon videos. It only covers the last event, so you'd still probably have to get a PAX dvd set to find the rest of the coverage (if they're still doing that, I dunno), but it's got the best coverage. I also, correct me if I'm wrong, believe it was still shot by the Vantage Point crew.

You can also go here, for the full selection of videos. Excellent if you have a free couple of days as it covers a number of PAX panels, but not all of them.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I know for PAX Prime they have the closing ceremony simulcast to one (or more) of the main panel rooms back in the convention center and generally for me that's better than being in the main theatre.

Opty on
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Thanks Lama and Wrekka
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

http://www.twitch.tv/pax/b/314716834
    The above is the link to the PAX East Twitch.tv coverage of the event.

thats a whole week of lunchtime-viewing taken care of right thar :-)