As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"Automata: Prelude" - An Automata Fan Film

2»

• SiegeSiege Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Oh yeah. This is going to end up on the front page.

Hoping so.

SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Carl's voice was exactly as I heard it in my head the first time I read an Automata comic.

Which is basically Legion from Mass Effect 2/3 although I am sure he predates it.

Bacon-Butty and I had a long correspondence trying to figure out how we wanted him to sound. I'm sure he's happy to see people enjoying his voice work. He actually voiced Carl as well as did the radio show at the beginning (that's how I found him).

SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
  • DexOZDexOZ Registered User regular
    Great work on the prelude!

Siege wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    To me this is the trailer for a film that desperately needs to be made.

That was the idea. I pitched this as a proof of concept to Penny Arcade to let me start a Kickstarter to make a full length one, then make a webseries on PATV if that went well. But I was politely declined because it would conflict, in nature, with something else they were doing with Automata. Sooo....there's that, haha.

this is bad luck for you, but good to know something is happening with Automata (because it is awesome). Maybe hassle the Khoo to put you in touch with the someone-elses doing the something-else to score yourself a gig, they could probably use a person of your talents.

DexOZ wrote: »
    Maybe hassle the Khoo to put you in touch with the someone-elses doing the something-else to score yourself a gig, they could probably use a person of your talents.

Not a bad idea. I might ask him. I think I'm going to make recreate a couple of frames from the comics (like, the fight between Carl and Regal) just for fun. Anyone interested in that?

Just for reference, I shot all of Prelude a year and a half ago. Skills and equipment have increased, so the quality would go up as well.

• Billy ChenowithBilly Chenowith Registered User regular
    That was really superb, Siege. The radio show set the tone perfectly. I'd rather see you create original Automata scenes than recreate the comics, but I'll take what I can get!

I wonder if their conflicting project is an animated version of Automata?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Oh yeah. This is going to end up on the front page. Seriously well done.

Also, because I needed to read it again, and so will others:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/12/
    http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/07/31

I

I had forgotten

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Ya I definitely liked this idea more then that Lookouts one.

Speaking of which, didn't they outsource that one to another artist (that turned out questionably in quality?)? If they're gonna go that route they might as well go full circle with this pitch.

That was really superb, Siege. The radio show set the tone perfectly. I'd rather see you create original Automata scenes than recreate the comics, but I'll take what I can get!

I wonder if their conflicting project is an animated version of Automata?

Thanks! I thought about trying a story with it, but I'm a rubbish writer and I love Jerry's style.

And yeah, I thought they might be going for an animated thing. Would make the most sense.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »

Speaking of which, didn't they outsource that one to another artist (that turned out questionably in quality?)? If they're gonna go that route they might as well go full circle with this pitch.

Absofuckinglutly not.
    The first Lookouts arc, with the Basilisk, was hand painted by Becky Dreistadt, the artist for Tiny Kitten Teeth, and was completely and entirely gorgeous.

The second arc, with the Winter King, was done by Mike and Jerry and was similarly gorgeous.

Honestly if you think that first arc is questionable in quality then I don't even know what to say

I didn't mind the other artist's approach. I think it was alarming to a lot of people because it was so drastically different from Mike's art style and since that's the style they were first introduced to for the series, it was startling.

On a side note: I'd love to try my hand at one of their other stories, like Sand or Lookouts, as well.

Damn. No frontpage love. :(

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Absofuckinglutly not.
    The first Lookouts arc, with the Basilisk, was hand painted by Becky Dreistadt, the artist for Tiny Kitten Teeth, and was completely and entirely gorgeous.

The second arc, with the Winter King, was done by Mike and Jerry and was similarly gorgeous.

Honestly if you think that first arc is questionable in quality then I don't even know what to say

I still get angry thinking about the community response to the first arc.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Blergh.

• Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    Gabe,Tycho and co are really awesome guys, but Penny-Arcade is a business after all. If they have something in the works for Automata, (potentially something big) then your work is a direct conflict of interest.

I have no doubt that everyone dug it completely, but I can understand them not front-paging it for business reasons.

And as I keep saying dude, you have a beautiful piece of work in your portfolio. You should be all kinds of proud. You're a talented motherfucker.

Automasig.jpg
    Thanks.

I'm starting to think this is a live action thing now because Vantage Point is no longer doing PA:TS due to the fact that they're "working on other things" for PA (according to a tweet by Khoo).

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    man I fucking love lookouts, both arcs

has there been any news on the lookouts board game that was in the works, or has that been scrapped in favor of the paint the line card game?

No idea. A board game would be awesome, though. I hope that didn't get scrapped.

So, just letting you guys know that I'm donating one of the Carl Swangee faceplates (we had two) along with a lamented version of his ID Badge (which wasn't featured in the short, but we made anyway) to the Child's Play auction. So, if anyone was interested in getting one for themselves, there's your chance!