As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    i dont understand the german spoken in this game

what does halftrack sine gon? or something mean?

and whats a schmitzentov

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Gonna buy it

Gonna play it

Gonna shoutcast it

Hopefully gonna love it

I will do all of these things. I would be interested in doing at least another dual cast too, TC.

fuuuuuckkkkk yesssss

shit you know what, you and me can be the next Tales of Heroes.

Shame they eventually stopped that and Bridger's doing Guild Wars 2 now.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Im on now trying to play some games.

Hell_Rell on steam.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    iowa wrote: »

and whats a schmitzentov

German's speak English in the American version. In the campaign they mostly speak German. What version are you playing?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    iowa wrote: »

and whats a schmitzentov

German's speak English in the American version. In the campaign they mostly speak German. What version are you playing?
    You can download voices to get the Germans to speak German in the American version if you want, although I think I know the quote he's talking about. Just can't really remember where it is/what it's about.

BONUS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sumnuocq2OU

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    ... That made as much sense as they float. They all float.

What was that?

That's just what the title says: unused sound clips from the Vampire halftrack. I don't know what you're talking about with the float stuff.

Ah.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    That unused clip was hilarious.

I've been more than abit skeptical about a CoH 2 but when I saw that the lead designer from the first game as well as Homeworld was on this my fears were assuaged.

CoH is my all time favorite RTS, and I really really hope that they get the gameplay right, avoiding some of the strangeness that OF brought and sticking to that great feeling of (mostly) balanced play that Vanilla had.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    I really like USA and Wehrmacht. I'm not into fast cap tactics like Panzer Elite, though I might like British, but they're a bitch to fight against.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Huh, so this was why the CoH pack was on sale on steam. Well, I remember enjoying the demos a while ago, so picking both of the games up for $4 was not a bad deal. This sounds pretty good as well.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Relic...assume I bought a copy already. Now Croak, where is my Homeworld 3!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I kinda hope you aren't forced to pick a different army if someone else picks your main first. I was pretty much useless if I couldn't be American in CoH. I don't care how silly it would be for Russians to fight Russians, I just want it as an option so we're not forced to use armies we're bad at. :p

wWuzwvJ.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I kinda hope you aren't forced to pick a different army if someone else picks your main first. I was pretty much useless if I couldn't be American in CoH. I don't care how silly it would be for Russians to fight Russians, I just want it as an option so we're not forced to use armies we're bad at. :p

Yep, if there's one thing russians don't do, it's use violence against each other.

fwKS7.png?1
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I really like Brits, im not good with anything but them i feel. I have been trying to get my bearings with Axis. KING TIGER!

CoH didn't let you do this and I imagine CoH 2 won't let you either, although I suppose we'll see. The screenshots (or more accurately, the one screenshot) that we've seen so far has no place for unit colors, so that would suggest no friendly on friendly battles.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So I just grabbed the CoH complete pack on sale. Installed base CoH, created a Relic account, logged in, changed my graphics settings and tried to start the tutorial.

The game immediately CTDs.

Start the game again, log in, try to use the profile I just created and it tells me "This profile is currently busy."

...?

edited May 2012
    Alright, so, yeah, CoH CTDs any time I try to actually start playing the game in any fashion. Tutorial, skirmish, what have you...

Side question that is at least for now irrelevant due to the above. but which I'm curious about anyway: all of the "operations" are locked, and it says to buy Tales of Valor. I own Tales of Valor from buying the complete pack, just haven't installed it yet. Am I to understand base CoH has no single player campaign at all, just skirmish and multiplayer?

I wonder if I contact Steam support if they'd give me my ten bucks back. Let's try verifying the game cache first though...

Gaslight on
    Hmm. Cache integrity was fine, no fragmentation in the cache, but now it wants to download 15 minutes' worth of additional stuff. CoH, you so crazy.

Lots of Steam games don't work so hot right when you install them. Gotta verify the cache a bunch and stuff like that. To unlock ToV you probably just need to stick your CD key into your Relic online account or something (it happens ingame I believe).

edited May 2012
    CoH didn't let you do this and I imagine CoH 2 won't let you either, although I suppose we'll see. The screenshots (or more accurately, the one screenshot) that we've seen so far has no place for unit colors, so that would suggest no friendly on friendly battles.

Yeah, it's super unlikely, but a guy can dream! Knowing me, I'm gonna be playing the ever loving shit out of the Russians and would hate to have to learn other armies that I don't like just to be able to play. I never played against anyone precisely because I hated playing as the Axis/British forces and didn't want to get stuck with them. I only ever did me vs AI/team of bros vs AI stuff.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Did anyone else ever given the Eastern Front mod a try? It was a very extensive mod (complete with Russian dialog), and still seems to be updated.

Not a personal favorite of mine (then again, I never got into the online community for any CoH as much as I should have.

Yeah, it's super unlikely, but a guy can dream! Knowing me, I'm gonna be playing the ever loving shit out of the Russians and would hate to have to learn other armies that I don't like just to be able to play. I never played against anyone precisely because I hated playing as the Axis/British forces and didn't want to get stuck with them. I only ever did me vs AI/team of bros vs AI stuff.
    Uh, you do realize you can choose your faction before you play, right? The game will just match you up with people who chose something else...

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    There's actually quite a few excellent Company of Heroes mods. Modern Combat is rather well made and seemed almost balanced when I played it.

I did try Eastern Fronts a long time ago, but the balance was really out of wack and the Russians had a very strange economy set when I tried. They've patched it quite a bit since then.

Getting a good game in Company of Heroes can already take 15-20 minutes if you're not playing a 1v1 or 2v2. The reduced player base of the mods hurts that even more.

I think that if Company of Heroes 2 can recapture the spirit of CoH 1 and implement a good matchmaking service... I'll be set for life!

Uh, you do realize you can choose your faction before you play, right? The game will just match you up with people who chose something else...
    Yanno, I never even bothered looking.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    So glad to see other people pumped about this game. CoH was the first RTS I really got into and used to watch videos for hours along with reading articles about build orders etc just so I could get better at the game. Never got into the expansions that were released. Were they any good ?

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There's actually quite a few excellent Company of Heroes mods. Modern Combat is rather well made and seemed almost balanced when I played it.

I did try Eastern Fronts a long time ago, but the balance was really out of wack and the Russians had a very strange economy set when I tried. They've patched it quite a bit since then.

Getting a good game in Company of Heroes can already take 15-20 minutes if you're not playing a 1v1 or 2v2. The reduced player base of the mods hurts that even more.

I think that if Company of Heroes 2 can recapture the spirit of CoH 1 and implement a good matchmaking service... I'll be set for life!

Good matchmaking is pretty much dependent on getting a big enough playerbase into a concentrated enough selection of game modes.

I've never really counted, but at the moment in DoW 2 I have wait times of maybe up to... 5 minutes for a 3v3? Sometimes it's pretty much immediate but it varies a lot, 5 minutes is my guess at the usual max. That's with a concurrent playerbase of around 1500 - 2000 when I play these days.

Considering how old DoW 2 is now and everything that's happened with it, I don't consider that too bad, and I'm hoping that means that CoH is going to have a really solid multiplayer community going when it releases. I mean you mention about extended wait times in CoH if you're not in the lower player count game modes, but to be honest I think that actually runs in CoH 2's favour. CoH is a game that's primarily balanced around 1v1 (and feasibly played in 2v2), which means more games going at any one time if that's the game mode that becomes popular.

Part of DoW 2's problem wasn't just that it was initially designed as a 3v3 game, but then a while after that they started balancing primarily for 1v1. Doesn't really work as well with the kind of squad numbers and sizes you're typically dealing with there, but in CoH the game is scaled and designed more to make 1v1's larger and more fun affairs, instead of just continuously splitting all your squads to go on cap-fests. Which is what tends to make 1v1 DoW 2 less interesting to me than 3v3. The game scale doesn't really seem to work in that setting.

subedii on
    Hocky27 wrote: »
    So glad to see other people pumped about this game. CoH was the first RTS I really got into and used to watch videos for hours along with reading articles about build orders etc just so I could get better at the game. Never got into the expansions that were released. Were they any good ?
    Nope. Not for multiplayer, at least. Panzer Elite are sort of interesting but the British are shit in a sock. And the new units in Tales of Valor were just ridiculous unbalanced.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Kangaroos.....baarrhagahahrgh

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    New peak time on CoH set today, replacing the old peak time from January 2010.

(TIME TO FEAST ON THE BLOOD OF NOOBS.)

I mean, let's go on automatch!

>_>

<_<

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Nope. Not for multiplayer, at least. Panzer Elite are sort of interesting but the British are shit in a sock. And the new units in Tales of Valor were just ridiculous unbalanced.
    Allow me to be the voice of the loyal opposition. Since the last patch (last I checked anyway) most of the weird or OP stuff has been fixed (like the Kangaroos) and the Brits and PE are both playable at a fairly high level without exploits. Most people seem to not like the Brits (either using them or fighting them) mainly because they have a very different approach than the other factions. They tend to be more campy with lots of static defenses and artillery, something that many good players (and their hanger-ons) don't like. You can often end up in long grinding affairs with the Brits that some tend to find boring or tedious. Also previous exploits (kangaroo, instant arty) I think scarred a lot of folks to the point they have a continuing hatred for them.

The other problem CoH has had from the beginning is that what is balanced for 1v1 is not always balanced for 2v2, 3v3, and so on. Certain factions when combined often resulted in major advantages, made worse if the map tended to favor a faction already. Without the ability to mirror match this caused a lot problems that were never fully resolved, and in some way really can't be. Asymmetric balance is really really tricky.

So apparently the sheer number of players has borked the servers a tad, surprise surprise.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Apostate wrote: »
    Allow me to be the voice of the loyal opposition. Since the last patch (last I checked anyway) most of the weird or OP stuff has been fixed (like the Kangaroos) and the Brits and PE are both playable at a fairly high level without exploits. Most people seem to not like the Brits (either using them or fighting them) mainly because they have a very different approach than the other factions. They tend to be more campy with lots of static defenses and artillery, something that many good players (and their hanger-ons) don't like. You can often end up in long grinding affairs with the Brits that some tend to find boring or tedious. Also previous exploits (kangaroo, instant arty) I think scarred a lot of folks to the point they have a continuing hatred for them.

The other problem CoH has had from the beginning is that what is balanced for 1v1 is not always balanced for 2v2, 3v3, and so on. Certain factions when combined often resulted in major advantages, made worse if the map tended to favor a faction already. Without the ability to mirror match this caused a lot problems that were never fully resolved, and in some way really can't be. Asymmetric balance is really really tricky.
    I guess we're answering different questions. Hocky asked if the expansions were any good, and since they weren't, I answered no. You're talking about whether they're fine now, which is a different question.

I play 2v2 because it allows for any exploits or unbalanced aspects to be somewhat mitigated by the fact that the other guy(s) may be noob.

Turns out to be pretty awesome, especially when you can coordinate a total rout of the enemy.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    How is 1v1 not balanced by skill in the exact same way?

How is 1v1 not balanced by skill in the exact same way?

Not sure what you mean.

I'm saying 2v2 is less exploit-based but also less skill-based on the whole. As in your skill does not determine whether you win or lose, but it also reduces the chance of an exploit deciding the game. It's much more random (due to the whole other guy on your team). I'm willing to take the skill loss for the exploit loss, mostly because I couldn't give a shit what my W/L record is.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

I guess we're answering different questions. Hocky asked if the expansions were any good, and since they weren't, I answered no. You're talking about whether they're fine now, which is a different question.
    Yeah I read his question as if he was looking to purchase the expansions presently because of the Steam sale. I would definitely agree with you regarding their initial roll out. The expansions were initially not well balanced at all and pissed off more than a few people.

They also tended to break a ton of shit with each patch. There were several game-breaking bugs introduced in a particular patch that caused many people to quit the game because these bugs were not fixed for months.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The lack of bugfixes were due to its patching process requiring a few hundred different releases for each patch, which, while incredibly annoying, isn't something we're going to see in CoH2 unless they somehow unlearn everything they've learnt thus far.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    DoW 2 also had some unfixed bugs that lingered forever, though, so...