As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starhawk it's like Firefly with more Macross. Game's out today!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    VG-Robot wrote: »
    Well, I am already in a clan, but I would vote for Deep Crows.

Also, when making a clan, you have to have already played the game to be able to receive an invite.

MORE TIPS AND TRICKS THAT I AM ENTHUSIASTICALLY SHARING:

If anyone is having trouble playing the game, I recommend playing at least MOST of the singleplayer. Also, this game allows you to "Explore" the multiplayer maps all on your lonesome. This is handy, as it lets you see where all the extra weapons are (4/8 ground trooper weapons are scattered around on all the maps, but never disappear after getting picked up, so if you set a base up near them you get a cool new gun/repair tool!).

You can also set up a multiplayer team room where you can just hang out and chat with your buddies while waiting to start a game. This also lets you build strategies together, and play with the buildings and vehicles and weapons to get good with them.

Also, if anyone wants to fly, I recommend practicing with advanced flight controls--that is the only way to really get ahead. It requires both analog sticks, but if you get good you can easily dodge most missiles without needing to use chaff.

Remember--the tank has regular shells and mortar shells, just hit right or left on the D-Pad.

Also, if you are in a tank or jeep and wish to change your seat, hold down the x button and you can move around inside the vehicle instantly with the flick of the analog stick. Very handy if you are driving the jeep and quickly need to use the mounted gun.

The beam cannons look strong, and they are, but ONLY against vehicles. They are fairly ineffective against troops.

You can go inside the placeable turrets and beam cannons just like a vehicle. When manned, they provide protection and extra firepower in comparison to when they are AI controlled.

The Hawks are versatile and damaging (with the right weapon pickups), but are fragile. They can get torn up, but landing in the right spot of an enemy base and stomping can create instant havoc.

The hoverbike is fast, but the hawk is faster EVEN WITH THE BRAKE ON. If you need to get somewhere quick, don't be afraid to use a hawk as a throwaway teleport device--it literally gets you across the map almost instantly. However, if you are trying to get somewhere inconspicuously, grab the hoverbike.

The jetpack is fun and flexible to use--but it can be locked on to by rocket launchers and hawks. A good strategy to take out bunkers is to use a jetpack and go through the TOP of the bunker firing a rocket launcher. Perfect for a hiding flag carrier.

That is all the tips I have for new players. So far.

It's refreshing to see high level strategy that the DM crowd will never see.

I second Deep Crows.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Alright clan Deep Crows is running sent invites to everyone I have PSN id's for.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    PSN - AlbertBOMB
    for clan invite

• VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    I am already in a clan, but if you guys want to add me to play against (but please have headsets) my PSN is the same as my PA username.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Is this downloadable?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Never saw this available for download, went to the local store to pick up a copy.

Hate saying it but VG-Robot was right about going through the SP. Definitely helped get a better sense of how to pilot the hawks. Kept getting tore up by vets of the Hawk games. Might need to repeat the flying parts a few more times...

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So Giantbomb posted a Starhawk Quick Look. I think its a good primer for those of you on the fence. link

I rather wish this were offered up as a downloadable title, as my PS3 sounds like a frikkin jet engine when I play this.

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    IDDQD wrote: »
    So Giantbomb posted a Starhawk Quick Look. I think its a good primer for those of you on the fence. link

I rather wish this were offered up as a downloadable title, as my PS3 sounds like a frikkin jet engine when I play this.

Yeah my PS3 is so loud with this game that my dog is constantly barking at it!

Best advice for dogfighting. Get the cloak and flak gun and ambush unaware foes if they're flying tight even better. If your chaff is on cooldown don't be afraid to use your sheild.
    I've promoted cin and sliver so they can help pick up my slack when working but I'll add everyone else who's sent their name tonight.

sig5ez4.jpg
    What do you do when an army of Tanks come your way? Pick up a Sniper Rifle and Jetpack and go to town! By shooting directly into the cockpit of the tank you can take out the drivers easily with one shot.

2 of us defended against tanks all night using this strategy and it works perfectly.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wow. This sort of snuck up on us, didn't it? I'll have to check it out.

edited May 2012
    Can we update the OP with a recent Player Name List

sliver911 on
    edited May 2012
    Unless there's a clan/group in your match, about half of the game ends up being devoted to taking the heaviest equipment and blasting your opponent. I've seen one where the middle of the map was overrun with tanks.

Did get into a good CTF match where I was just providing tranportation to the flag carrier. Hardly accumilated any points but worth the win. :P

Has anyone experienced network issues? There's been a few matches where the game ends abruptly, stating some kind of connection/network problem. Only upside is that the game doesn't freeze like it did in the beta. That sucked a big one that happened.

Cincitucky on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Wait, this isn't up on the PSN for purchase like Warhawk? That severely impacts my desire to pull an impulse purchase.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Yeah, I passed by it on the shelf at Wal-Mart this morning, and something about that big yellow $59.99 tag turned me off. I'll wait for the price drop.

If I could download it... then that would be a different story.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    I've experienced a few network issues and audio lag among other things. Apparently they're working in a patch soon to deal with these issues. With a massive multiplayer game such as this I'm sure we're in for a few patches before everything runs smooth.

I've also noticed that most of the matches are turning into a Tank Fest. I wouldn't be surprised they'll deal with this issue by limiting the number of vehicles to be made available. A lot of the balancing act depends on your skill with a Hawk. I've seen people devastate an army of tanks with well placed Homing Missiles and those air to land bombs (i dont know what they're called)

Most gripes I've heard about this game relate to the tank. Once thats fixed I think the games will play out much better.

edited May 2012
    sliver911 wrote: »
    Can we update the OP with a recent Player Name List

Yeah last night I was stuck at my gf's with nothing but my ps3 and iphone to work with.

If you get in a game where you have a disconnect icon in the corner after the game leave immediatly if not it may hard lock your system. Other than that nothing serrious has happend.

Cluster bombs have become one of my favorite weapons now. They ruin tanks, beam turrets, everything. They're so much easier to use than in Warhawk. Though really they're more of a carpet bomb than cluster.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I'm talking to my friends about picking this up. one wasn't sure because in warhawk, he said it was harder to play with people he knew. How's the party forming / grouping with friends working in this one?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    In case anyone has tried to add me in the past 24, the OP has my psn ID incorrectly labeled - it is FlynntLoch (uppercase L). Not sure if that makes a difference, just thought I'd update.

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Yeah this game looks amazing. I might seriously consider picking it up here soon. I assume a mic would be ideal?

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just picked it up, the only game I ever played much of on my PS3 was Warhawk. 15 minutes to dload/install a patch, and now the games installing. Hopefully soon I can actually play. Ug.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    I'm talking to my friends about picking this up. one wasn't sure because in warhawk, he said it was harder to play with people he knew. How's the party forming / grouping with friends working in this one?

Pretty easy. Your friends list is on the right side of the menu at all times anyone playing is at the top. Click and join game if there is room or send a party invite.

sig5ez4.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Malechai wrote: »

Pretty easy. Your friends list is on the right side of the menu at all times anyone playing is at the top. Click and join game if there is room or send a party invite.

Also caps shouldn't matter only spelling but I'll correct it for you.

Mic is handy when playing with friends and randoms that have it. Unfortunately mine has vanished recently.

Woops meant that to be an edit not quote oh well.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Carpet Bombs > Tanks

Thank You! They demolish life..

Now the only gripe I have is the stupid servers.

Example - Servers that don't include the option to autobalance. You get into a game and its 16 on 2 and your base is packed with 8 enemy hawks just stomping the hell out of everything. You can't even spawn. Gay.

I hope they allow us to configure servers even more specifically in the future. You really have to read over the server option before you join a server. I throw up in my mouth when I join games like that.

EDIT - Ya'll wondering if you should buy and play this game? DO IT

sliver911 on
  • OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    I'm going to chime in with a more negative outlook.

Not going to rag on the single player, since it does what it was supposed to do: get you familiar with the concepts.

I want to say multiplayer is totally worth it, but...I think they have some kinks to work out here. Probably around 50% of the time I try to join a game, I get "Failed to join game" or "The host has left the game session". Then for whatever reason, the game seems really unstable even once you get INTO a match. Once I had the game crash when it was attempting to load the next game (and my PS3, when rebooted, indicated that something may have corrupted the file system, though after it scanned itself it was fine). Then the very next game I joined (after a few failed join attempts), it just mysteriously booted me back to the home menu (the SYSTEM menu, not the game menu).

The few minutes of actual gameplay were fine, though completely devoid of any strategy: everyone doing the lone wolf thing. Sometimes I wonder if the console community has the collective desire for games that encourage the level of strategy and cooperation that titles like this do.

Anyways, I dunno. At this point I am regretting my purchase. The types of troubles I'm experiencing are not necessarily unfixable though, and could possibly be patched away at any time. Take that as you will.

edited May 2012
    My experience is getting better; I'm seeing more Zones and players are starting off riding Razorbacks and bikes, rather than waiting around for Hawks. I've been distracted by Devil May Cry HD, but I have some questions and down for Deep Crow goodness.

How do you stop cloaked Hawks? It seems like every time I put down a Shield Generator I get squished by an invisible Hawk that undoes all my work. And it's not like Predator/MGS cloak, these guys are really damn hard to see.

Also, I made it to Level 3, and Customization unlocked with the number 2 on the menu symbol, what do I do with customization points? I see nothing to do within customizing.

Cantido on
    edited May 2012
    For skill points I would suggest opening an exploration server and look through your options under skills. The customization takes a long time to unlock anything other than Rifter head and body options. It's not that you have two customization points, it's that two new options are unlocked.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Enjoyed the beta, will be purchasing next pay packet.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

I think every match I play in this game I take on different roles. I've learned that the "skills" are essential to balance the issues you may run into while playing these roles.

Example - Flying a hawk into a base loaded with 9-10 turret lasers.. There's a skill for that!

You really have to play around with them and try to unlock them all. At the moment I'm running a skill that allows you to knife buildings and vehicles. I assumed that was the most pointless skill to have, but then I gave it a try. Now I simply dive bomb into an enemy base with a hawk, eject, and go to town slicing down building left and right. If you sneak around effectively (crouching) no one can see you and they all wonder why their bases are disappearing before their eyes!

I've been stuck with my Brutal Legend habits. I build, and protect what I build. I hardly go on offensives unless its the opening rush.

This scores me lots of dead Hawks until they pull out the cloaks :(

• JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    How do I fight back against the invisible bombing death machines?

Jombalaya wrote: »
    How do I fight back against the invisible bombing death machines?

Well if they are like me and landing while invisible and using bombs then I would say proxy mines. I think they skill that shows all enemies on the map might help a bit but targeting an invisible enemy is tricky.

sig5ez4.jpg
    At the moment I believe the Carpet Bombs are being looked at. I think the developer has even slipped out a statement that they will indeed be nerfed. I expect a HUGE update after they've taken a good look at the stats from the release week. Things will definitely change dramatically in the game soon enough.

I refuse to play defense because of the balance issues at the moment. Unfortunately, if you decide to stay at the base you are a sitting duck for any hawk packing carpet bombs. There really isn't an effective counter for these attacks.

The most effective way to shut down a hawk right now is to assault the enemy base and destroy their docking platforms. This keeps the enemy sitting and collecting rift to build, and allows for your own hawks to swoop in and carpet bomb the hell out of them lol.

To anyone who is experiencing frustration, please just have patience. This game is jam packed with so many elements that the quirks must be worked out. When its fully patched it will be amazing.

• OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    I am going to keep trying to get the most out of the game, despite my technical problems. I do have just enough successful play to convince me that there is a good game here.

Field Mechanic is proving to be my best unlocked skill currently. After playing a few rounds of deathmatch to improve my flight skills, I'm tearing up others during Zone and CTF matches. That Field Mechanic skill really comes in nicely after engaging opposing hawks and I've taken damage.

Frustrations from my experience come from others building redundant structures. Can't complain about being on a team that losses a match but watching people waste their time building a hawk platform when one already exists makes me lose my shit. That or building eight ARMs inside one general location is mind boggling. We'd get pounded in our base from all the hawks buzzing around our general location and the best my teammates can come up with is to build more than half a dozen ARMs?!

All that aside, I'd like to try teaming up with other PAers. Preferably not getting shot out of the sky by Sliver or Malechai. :D

edited May 2012
    sliver911 wrote: »
    At the moment I believe the Carpet Bombs are being looked at. I think the developer has even slipped out a statement that they will indeed be nerfed. I expect a HUGE update after they've taken a good look at the stats from the release week. Things will definitely change dramatically in the game soon enough.

I refuse to play defense because of the balance issues at the moment. Unfortunately, if you decide to stay at the base you are a sitting duck for any hawk packing carpet bombs. There really isn't an effective counter for these attacks.

The most effective way to shut down a hawk right now is to assault the enemy base and destroy their docking platforms. This keeps the enemy sitting and collecting rift to build, and allows for your own hawks to swoop in and carpet bomb the hell out of them lol.

To anyone who is experiencing frustration, please just have patience. This game is jam packed with so many elements that the quirks must be worked out. When its fully patched it will be amazing.

Well as long as four bombs still take a beam turret to almost no health I will be happy. Seriously as a pilot nothing irks me more than getting tunnel vision and chasing my prey into a field of beam turrets.

Maybe just reduce the splash damage on them a bit but it does take a fair bit of practice to put them right where you want. Not as much as the warhawk cluster bomb but close.

Also I agree that the best air defense is a strong offense.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • BigWhiteRyanBigWhiteRyan Registered User regular
    So, there's not a lot of anti-air options. You've got beam and artillery, and the rocket launcher. So why is the rocket launcher so damn useless? Is it me, or does it take forever to lock, and when you fire it takes one button press for the enemy to evade it? It's frustrating that the only other way to take down Hawks is to fly one yourself, and I'm terrible at it. And the Hawks dominate the matches so often, I feel pretty damn useless most the time. I played for about 2 hours tonights, locked and fired about 25 rockets, and none of them got a kill. And I'm waiting till they get close when possible! I feel completely powerless to good enemy Hawk pilots, and it's ruining my fun most of the time. Any tips?

So, there's not a lot of anti-air options. You've got beam and artillery, and the rocket launcher. So why is the rocket launcher so damn useless? Is it me, or does it take forever to lock, and when you fire it takes one button press for the enemy to evade it? It's frustrating that the only other way to take down Hawks is to fly one yourself, and I'm terrible at it. And the Hawks dominate the matches so often, I feel pretty damn useless most the time. I played for about 2 hours tonights, locked and fired about 25 rockets, and none of them got a kill. And I'm waiting till they get close when possible! I feel completely powerless to good enemy Hawk pilots, and it's ruining my fun most of the time. Any tips?

Unfortunately the rocket launcher is basically a nuisance to a good pilot. Best way to get kills with them is to either have a buddy there alternating shots with you or to use it on a hawk that is engaged with a teammate in a dogfight. I know I love seeing a missile coming from the ground helping me with a squirmy opponent.

sig5ez4.jpg
    Honestly, I think I've found my niche in this game. Unfortunately, I also think everyone I play absolutely despises me.

With he perk I mentioned earlier (the one that allows you to knife buildings) I am able to demolish enemy bases within minutes. The only skill lies in the ability to evade ground troops while still slicing away at the base elements.

If you combine this with a hawks carpet bombing run than the enemy has no chance to establish a defense or offense.

If two players were to take on this role I don't think we could lose a clan match.

The only downside of this strategy is that it doesn't work so well in "Groundpounder" or "Heavyweight" game modes. Tanks are the anti-christ.

Side Note - Does anyone know what the symbols mean (the cake and the fist) when looking at the server list? Also, the symbols around your level number (star, circle, square, gold, bronze, silver) , what do they mean?