As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    It's not upside down, it's her right hand. It was supposed to be a "weird" gesture. I guess I'll scrap the thumb.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but I can easily tell the difference between Victra and Wakka.

steam_sig.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    On Victra's work: I don't think he needs to worry about developing his own style, because honestly I think he is. I think we've all heard time and time again that you can't force your own style. It just happens. So his work is reminiscent of wakkas, so what? He likes drawing the ladies (as wakka does) and he renders really, really well. If I were to have one crit of his work, it's that it seems like he spends about twice the time on his faces as he does the bodies - or he just needs to work on bodies to the point where he can render them just as well as faces.

Well first of all I think Victra's a chick so there's that

Secondly in the field of illustration it really does matter to have your own 'signature' when it comes to your paintings, because that's what'll help establish a solid client base. Concept artists and especially animators can get away with a highly technicallyrefined and jack-of-all-trades style (because that is exactly what you need for the job), but it's not as important for an illustrator so long as you have a 'voice' that no one else can duplicate without feeling like a hollow echo. There's a reason why artists like Arnold Tsang, Bobby Chiu, Joe Mad, Norman Rockwell and Stephen Silver are well known in the artistic world, and it's cause they have that extra something that pushes them above and beyond the competition.

To be honest labeling this as a critique seems a bit unfair as I wouldn't consider my advice as such. I'd like to think of it more as something to ponder to help steer a career along the right paths. I guess it's more of an observation then a real nitpick. In te end I think it really depends on what kind of illustrator you want to be.

Godfather on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular

queen7.jpg
    Ok, enough of this

• LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    Hello everyone - Havn't been around for a while - Everybody seems to has fantastic art at the moment !!!

I completed a new version of my reel this week. It gets updated most weeks but this will do for now.
    "

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Doing a quick digital painting exercise

PvX6B.png

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • victravictra Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Victra I always enjoy your strong artwork, but to add to the pile already stated, it always seems like something Wakkawa would draw, which is both good and bad.

At this stage you should focus more on developing your own artistic "voice" since you've got a good grip on all your fundamentals. This is rather important for an illustrator to have in order to stand out from the pack. There's no questioning your technical skills, so now it's up to you to focus on how to take those lessons and apply it in a manner that doesn't eerily echo another well-known artist too much :)

Sadly me and wakkawa worked side by side for years(school and living together). I know there is resemblance but he taught me alot and i'm sure we inspired eachothers works from time to time. I still feel my works only resemblance is that we both really enjoy drawing female figures. So really it's two peas in the pod. I'm not mocking his work i'm just also doing my own thing. If you put our work side by side you will see the difference.

On Victra's work: I don't think he needs to worry about developing his own style, because honestly I think he is. I think we've all heard time and time again that you can't force your own style. It just happens. So his work is reminiscent of wakkas, so what? He likes drawing the ladies (as wakka does) and he renders really, really well. If I were to have one crit of his work, it's that it seems like he spends about twice the time on his faces as he does the bodies - or he just needs to work on bodies to the point where he can render them just as well as faces.

I agree this is largely one of my problems, in that I spend way too much time and seem to overly render the face and not spend as much time rendering the bodies, i'm really trying to do better andhope in time it shows for it. I really appreciate the honest crit!

edited May 2012
    Godfather wrote: »

Well first of all I think Victra's a chick so there's that

Secondly in the field of illustration it really does matter to have your own 'signature' when it comes to your paintings, because that's what'll help establish a solid client base. Concept artists and especially animators can get away with a highly technicallyrefined and jack-of-all-trades style (because that is exactly what you need for the job), but it's not as important for an illustrator so long as you have a 'voice' that no one else can duplicate without feeling like a hollow echo. There's a reason why artists like Arnold Tsang, Bobby Chiu, Joe Mad, Norman Rockwell and Stephen Silver are well known in the artistic world, and it's cause they have that extra something that pushes them above and beyond the competition.

To be honest labeling this as a critique seems a bit unfair as I wouldn't consider my advice as such. I'd like to think of it more as something to ponder to help steer a career along the right paths. I guess it's more of an observation then a real nitpick. In te end I think it really depends on what kind of illustrator you want to be.

I am a lady yes haha. I have been trying to make my own voice for a few years now since I have had so many people tell me my work resembles that of wakkawa's in our school alot of students would mistaken me for him and it was very aggrivating but i also has many people who were mutual friends and saw both our works together and seperately for years only see one resemblence in that we have similar tastes and both really enjoy drawing the female form. I'm not sure if I'd ever want to be or be hired to be a concept artist so it's not like I have a very significant direction with my work as of yet. I just know this is what I love doing and i'm not changing it anymore than I already have to "unresemble" wakkawa's work it's just something I guess others see and I can't..it's pretty disheartening sometimes, especially because I haven't worked around him in years..my biggest inspiring artists is Adam Hughes , Alphonse Mucha, Dana Gibson and Gil elvgren. So if anything I would hope to have maybe tiny nuances of them in my work. I don't really know what more to say. Although I do appreciate the feedback. I don't know what more I can do then draw everyday the way I do and hope it changes? haha. Oh well I honestly love this place and would like to post more and more! :) cheers!

victra on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Oh well that would explain it, yeah.

Now that I think of it I do see a bit of Adam Hughes in your faces!

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Foundationally there are similarities, but unless you're actively trying to copy his technique and style, you're naturally going to evolve down a different path the more you practice.

edited May 2012
    Fugitive wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Foundationally there are similarities, but unless you're actively trying to copy his technique and style, you're naturally going to evolve down a different path the more you practice.

Well if you compared the work you'd see i'm obviously not, I really think it is that we have similar tastes and idols in art and knew eachother for so long. Art isn't created in a vacuum a lot of artists,things,people influence eachother especially when they have been good friends or admire eachothers works.

victra on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I'm just going to say that if Wakka wasn't a forumer here and hadn't been, would you still be comparing Victra's art to "well known artists"?

Wakka is great, but it seems accusatory to immediately tell someone their style is too similar to someone else's who has just happened to be a frequenter around these forums for a longer time d: I'm sure there are plenty of other artists out there with similar styles because they have similar interests/idols that don't post in these forums.

I personally find it easy to distinguish between you two. Just keep drawing and doing your own thing and practicing!

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I like that version better, Mayday. :^:

• WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    Im not as proffesional at drawing as awesome as you guys, but am willing to share what I can:

chalupa.jpg

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    victra wrote: »

Well if you compared the work you'd see i'm obviously not, I really think it is that we have similar tastes and idols in art and knew eachother for so long. Art isn't created in a vacuum a lot of artists,things,people influence eachother especially when they have been good friends or admire eachothers works.

:enthusiastic nods of agreement:

I hope that didn't come off as accusatory, since that was pretty much exactly the opposite of what I was getting at. And I agree with MD, the only reason those comparisons get drawn is because Wakk posted (posts???) here, and you're the only two forumers here who swim in those stylistic waters. But that's still pretty broad, and it's just a matter of similar tastes. My point was that if you feel like you're getting those comparisons too often, don't fret it. You don't need to make a conscious effort to change it, since both of you will continue to evolve down your own separate paths.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Haven't been getting anywhere near the amount of practice in that I need to the past year, so I'm going to try and bang out a quick and dirty after work at least 3 days a week.

35128650.jpg

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    tumblr_m3tx3wD2AU1qaumawo1_500.jpg

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    A quick little sketch very much inspired by Amano after my flatmate introduced me to his work.
    tumblr_m3u19yg8um1qbiru9o1_500.jpg
    ...And bleeding heart pigeons! Look at that thing! How f'in cool!
    bleed3.jpg

Just wanted to do something other than the project I'm working on for college for a bit.

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    he is angry, he is smelly and he is short and also naked.
    monsterunderfuckbed2.jpg

SeveredHead on
    I'm just going to say that if Wakka wasn't a forumer here and hadn't been, would you still be comparing Victra's art to "well known artists"?

Wakka is great, but it seems accusatory to immediately tell someone their style is too similar to someone else's who has just happened to be a frequenter around these forums for a longer time d: I'm sure there are plenty of other artists out there with similar styles because they have similar interests/idols that don't post in these forums.

I personally find it easy to distinguish between you two. Just keep drawing and doing your own thing and practicing!

Thank you Melting doll, It's true I guess I really should have known and thought more about it that I would get something like that, since he has frequented here for years and for awhile I would just lurk and got the courage to finally post more recently , thank you for your encouragement!

victra wrote: »

:enthusiastic nods of agreement:

I hope that didn't come off as accusatory, since that was pretty much exactly the opposite of what I was getting at. And I agree with MD, the only reason those comparisons get drawn is because Wakk posted (posts???) here, and you're the only two forumers here who swim in those stylistic waters. But that's still pretty broad, and it's just a matter of similar tastes. My point was that if you feel like you're getting those comparisons too often, don't fret it. You don't need to make a conscious effort to change it, since both of you will continue to evolve down your own separate paths.

Sorry I had read the opposite I see what you mean again like I said to melting doll I guess I should have expected it since I just started posting more recently , i've been lurking for awhile just not really posting artwork. Thank you for your thoughts and advice :)

• LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    Todays doodle while waiting for things to rendertron-drawing.jpg

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @Warpony:

Hiya, welcome to the AC!

In the thread you posted, you mentioned that you wanted to become a better cartoonist. Well a cartoon is really just a stylized version of reality. Although they may look nothing like reality themselves, cartoons can all be traced back to things that we see and experience in real life, only the rules of reality have been broken. The trick to being a good cartoonist is knowing which rules to break, and in such a way that you can distill what you're drawing down to the essence you're trying to communicate. And before that, you need to learn the rules themselves, through study of real life, anatomy, the principles of perspective and so on. There's no reason to stop drawing purely for fun as well but learning some more will hugely expand what you're able to put to paper, and you'll be much more satisfied with the results.

In you're thread you mentioned that you're interested in learning new 'styles'. At this stage that's something you should be avoiding, again because to properly emulate someone's style would require a detailed knowledge of which rules they are breaking and which ones they still follow. But fear not, you can develop your own style instead. Just by drawing you'll find there are particular visual elements, colors, line weights etc... that appeal to you and you want to use more of, and this will come naturally just through drawing. As you learn more you might even find that you're less interested in copying a style because your own way is that much more fun.

If you haven't already I'd also definitely recommend checking out the questions thread and the welcome thread, there's a tonne of really good resources and knowledge in both. Hope to see some more stuff from you soon!

Flay on
  • WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    @Warpony:

Hiya, welcome to the AC!
    Ty
    In the thread you posted, you mentioned that you wanted to become a better cartoonist. Well a cartoon is really just a stylized version of reality. Although they may look nothing like reality themselves, cartoons can all be traced back to things that we see and experience in real life, only the rules of reality have been broken. The trick to being a good cartoonist is knowing which rules to break, and in such a way that you can distill what you're drawing down to the essence you're trying to communicate. And before that, you need to learn the rules themselves, through study of real life, anatomy, the principles of perspective and so on. There's no reason to stop drawing purely for fun as well but learning some more will hugely expand what you're able to put to paper, and you'll be much more satisfied with the results.

In you're thread you mentioned that you're interested in learning new 'styles'. At this stage that's something you should be avoiding, again because to properly emulate someone's style would require a detailed knowledge of which rules they are breaking and which ones they still follow. But fear not, you can develop your own style instead. Just by drawing you'll find there are particular visual elements, colors, line weights etc... that appeal to you and you want to use more of, and this will come naturally just through drawing. As you learn more you might even find that you're less interested in copying a style because your own way is that much more fun.

If you haven't already I'd also definitely recommend checking out the questions thread and the welcome thread, there's a tonne of really good resources and knowledge in both. Hope to see some more stuff from you soon!

Thanks Flay! And I believe you're right, learning other styles before perfectioning what I am already practicing might not be a good idea, so I am checkibg the rules and will collaborate as I can. Meantime, I drew my namesake, everybody likes ponies, right?

warpony.jpg

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    After months of inactivity I kind of found my way back here at last, so here's something I did yesterday to experiment:

9-5-wip.jpg

www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    YES! Welcome back Natri!

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    That is all kinds of awesome Natri

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Oh goodness, welcome back times a thousand and post moar pls

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Starting to draw do quotes/sayings from TV shows,
    Im gonna vectorise it, still undecided on a few things style wise.
    Says "Assbutt!", from supernatural of word from Cass

assbutt.jpg

And others

bitsx.jpg

JeckalHyde on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    Ah, your beautiful typography. Always a treat, good stuff!

7180126866_f1fe361520_c.jpg I wanna maybe give her a hat and an intricate flowered design to her dress but I can't really think of anything appropriately nice any ideas ? :) I use to have a lot of fashion books but they sadly got lost in the mail :(

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Did a painting for my friend's birthday, photo referenced.

93BUM.png

This is technically my third digital painting ever, and I'm pretty satisfied with it considering. Crit is much appreciated.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    pretty dang bitching.

• Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Screenshot2012-05-12at63759PM.png
    Snake Spies

and also this, which I'm workin on for a uni project.
    Screenshot2012-05-13at115045PM.png

Lewis Rice on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    WIP

freshmeatdraft.jpg

Kind of want to make a poster or a t-shirt or something. Just for me, really. Just so I can wear something I've made for once.

Thoughts? I worry that the lineweights are too different between the type and the ribbon/meat.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »
    I worry that the lineweights are too different between the type and the ribbon/meat.

Yeah it would totally looks better for me if the lineweights were the same, or at least similar.
    What about "NOM" instead of "YUM"?

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sieg, the individual elements look great, but the overall design is lacking. The steak is way too small. Try sketching out a handful of other compositions using the same elements at different scales and with different placements.

Ed: also, yum is better than "nom".

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    tumblr_m3zojhzPRJ1qaumawo1_1280.jpg

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
This discussion has been closed.