As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    The schedule just came out and I am scheduled to work until 3 on the 12th. :( Depending on business I might be able to get out early.
    Sooo... I am still a maybe!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Put me down as a maybe for the meet-up with it being a Saturday there is a better chance that I can go. It's a shame that Beyond Comics is smaller than expected. I am sure that we can find a good place for meet-ups that do not occur at Games and Stuff.

As far as your Otakon mention I would like to hear more about it the experience from those who have been to the event. I know that the focus is on Anime but I am curious if they have panels, what they have by way of tabletop and video game space and if it's just a room of for each as well as how big. Also, curious how inclusive the community is as that can be a problem with some cons. Not everyone is as inviting as the Penny Arcade community.

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Put me down as a maybe for the meet-up with it being a Saturday there is a better chance that I can go. It's a shame that Beyond Comics is smaller than expected. I am sure that we can find a good place for meet-ups that do not occur at Games and Stuff.

As far as your Otakon mention I would like to hear more about it the experience from those who have been to the event. I know that the focus is on Anime but I am curious if they have panels, what they have by way of tabletop and video game space and if it's just a room of for each as well as how big. Also, curious how inclusive the community is as that can be a problem with some cons. Not everyone is as inviting as the Penny Arcade community.

I've been going for 6 years running. They have panels, but they are of course, centered around Anime. There are panels for new releases, industry panels, community panels, actor/artist/celeb panels, and also workshops on various topics such as drawing or how to build fightsticks etc. The video game room is a sizable space, probably comparable to the free-play areas at PAX with various different consoles set up, and tournaments for popular games. Tabletop is simply a free-play space, a series of folding tables set up. The community is friendly, but it's different from PAX, it's centered around Anime, so if you want to go with gaming as your sole interest, you'll most likely be disappointed. Check out otakon.com for more detail.

Exodus1 on
    I haven't been to Otakon since before they stopped selling one-day passes but I remember having a BLAST! There were so many things to do and I often felt torn between doing one thing vs another. The merch floor is great for finding obscure and often very cool products.
    I had a great experience with some random folks in the line for the cosplay that involved a contest between 4 teams of 4 people. I had a friend with me that didn't want to participate so I joined up with a group of three to complete the team. We ended up winning and were given some awesome seats in the theatre (and they were able to get one for my friend even though she didn't play).
    And then they stopped selling one-day passes and I stopped paying attention to Otakon.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    I am possibly available on the 12th, but I can't say either way yet if I can make it. I can try to look into the feasibility of using space at Hackers Inc or Comics to Astonish though. Both of those are in Howard County. Hackers Inc is in the historic section of Ellicott City, Comics to Astonish is on Snowden River Parkway in Columbia.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    By the way, anyone here interested in catching the Avengers movie next weekend?

1tLJUH2O.png
  • PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Won't be able to make it this month :( Will be visiting family in NC, though I'll make sure to make it to the next month. There's a video game concert festival thing taking place in Baltimore in June if anyone wants to do an impromptu meetup: http://bitgengamerfest.com/

@Psykus that sounds awesome and once it gets closer and the full details get released I may be up for it. Hope to see you next month it's normally the second weekend either Saturday or Sunday.

I got boned with work (both jobs), so I will not be able to make it on the 12th :( I am surprised at how bummed out I am about missing out.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited May 2012
    Hrmm, well if not many people can make the 12th, we can always re-schedule for another weekend. Would more people be available another weekend, maybe the 19th or 20th or 26th/27th?

Right now, we only have 2 people who can definitely come on the 12th, which doesn't make for much of a meet-up. Let me know people, we can adjust accordingly.

@gespo89 I'm down to see Avengers, is there a centralized theater we could go to, do we want IMAX?

Exodus1 on
    19th works for me, though the other dates are also good. Would prefer a Saturday at least.

Can't do 26th/27th. I can do the 19th and will only be able to do Saturdays at this point because of my work schedule.

Exodus1 wrote: »
    Hrmm, well if not many people can make the 12th, we can always re-schedule for another weekend. Would more people be available another weekend, maybe the 19th or 20th or 26th/27th?

Right now, we only have 2 people who can definitely come on the 12th, which doesn't make for much of a meet-up. Let me know people, we can adjust accordingly.
    I can make the 12th, but I've got relatives coming that weekend so if we reschedule, that's more than fine with me. I definitely can't make the 20th, but the19th, 26th, and 27th also work for me.
    @gespo89 I'm down to see Avengers, is there a centralized theater we could go to, do we want IMAX?
    I don't know what is centrally located, but I'll poke around some time this evening. If not, I can head pretty much wherever, or there's a theater a couple minutes from my house with IMAX and restaurants around as well. However, I guarantee it will be an absolute madhouse so it might not be the best choice. What options are off your way?

1tLJUH2O.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    19th is bad for me, 26th 27th is good but I am likely to be outvoted. I may be interested in the avengers depending on the date.

19th is bad for me, 26th 27th is good but I am likely to be outvoted. I may be interested in the avengers depending on the date.

• BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    I'm new to these forums (and it'll be my first PAX, I decided this year I'm going regardless if I can get any friends to come, luckily some decided to), but if you guys are accepting new members into the MD PAX meetup group, I'd be more than happy to attend!

edited May 2012
    I'm new to these forums (and it'll be my first PAX, I decided this year I'm going regardless if I can get any friends to come, luckily some decided to), but if you guys are accepting new members into the MD PAX meetup group, I'd be more than happy to attend!
    We sure are. There's always room for more people. Just keep an eye on this thread and google+ to see when we have stuff planned.

As for PAX. Even if you don't know anyone else there, it's more than worth going to. Roaming around solo can still be a lot of fun as you'll invariably meet a lot of awesome people.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    Seconding the roaming around solo being a lot of fun. I have been to all three PAX Easts and enjoyed each one despite going solo. You will definitely meet fun people in line. I also suggest getting involved in the community events that take place before each PAX. Not only are they a good way to meet people but they are a lot of fun.

gespo89 wrote: »
    We sure are. There's always room for more people. Just keep an eye on this thread and google+ to see when we have stuff planned.

As for PAX. Even if you don't know anyone else there, it's more than worth going to. Roaming around solo can still be a lot of fun as you'll invariably meet a lot of awesome people.
    Agreed, my first PAX was solo, and it was a lot of fun, but with this PAX I was meeting up with members of the MD meetup as well as bringing a friend it added another level of fun to the PAX experience.

edited May 2012
    I don't know what is centrally located, but I'll poke around some time this evening. If not, I can head pretty much wherever, or there's a theater a couple minutes from my house with IMAX and restaurants around as well. However, I guarantee it will be an absolute madhouse so it might not be the best choice. What options are off your way?

My friends decided to go to the Majestic in Silver Spring, Friday night at 9:55pm IMAX 3D, can you make it?

http://www.fandango.com/regalmajesticstadium2026imax_aaron/theaterpage?date=5/4/2012

Exodus1 on

My friends decided to go to the Majestic in Silver Spring, Friday night at 9:55pm IMAX 3D, can you make it?

http://www.fandango.com/regalmajesticstadium2026imax_aaron/theaterpage?date=5/4/2012

Yeah, that should be doable.

1tLJUH2O.png
    Gonna go ahead and pick up a ticket. You interested in doing some sort of food beforehand too?

1tLJUH2O.png
    Gonna go ahead and pick up a ticket. You interested in doing some sort of food beforehand too?

Hey, yea I already got my ticket too, I haven't been able to get hold of my other friends yet today, I'll message you soon as I do.

/work grumblings
    It is starting to look like I won't be available for any weekends this month. Plan without me!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    Bitgen Gamerfest lineup announced:
    BitGen Gamer Fest in Baltimore on June 30th partial lineup announced! The Megas, Metroid Metal, Bit Brigade, Rare Candy, Brentalfloss, DJ Cutman, Cheap Dinosaurs, X-Hunters. More to come.

OK, so I've got 2 votes for the 19th and 3 votes for the 26th, and a whole lot of people I haven't heard from yet. I'll leave it up for voting until Friday.

Psykus wrote: »
    Bitgen Gamerfest lineup announced:
    BitGen Gamer Fest in Baltimore on June 30th partial lineup announced! The Megas, Metroid Metal, Bit Brigade, Rare Candy, Brentalfloss, DJ Cutman, Cheap Dinosaurs, X-Hunters. More to come.

Looks really cool, sadly I'll be working the AT&T tournament that weekend ='(

Alright, so Saturday May 26th it is. I'll update everything shortly.

cool beans.

• Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular

I'm in for the 26th, but I still have no transportation. Where is it gonna be this time?

Sentient6 wrote: »

I'm in for the 26th, but I still have no transportation. Where is it gonna be this time?
    Probably at G&S again I would imagine. Trying not to volunteer people here, but any chance you can swing by Zeph? It's sorta-kinda along the way for you isn't it? If not, I can probably do it although it's off in the wrong direction a decent ways.

1tLJUH2O.png
    Let me see, I may be coming from Odenton on that day.

As previously mentioned I unfortunately can't make it on that date. Hopefully I can make the one in June. The meetup will be at Games and Stuff as was mentioned on the previous date.

edited May 2012

Yea, we'll be at Games and Stuff again for now, but I'd really like to check out the locations @flatline had suggested. @flatline about how big is Comics to Astonish, could the accommodate their usual magic stuff and a tabletop group of about 10? I'm very interested in the HackersInk/ManCave, seems like a great space, specially if they are open late. They have a MTG thing going on the 26th, but I'll call and see what they say, if we want to try a new place this month (or perhaps next).

Saturday May 25th @ Games and Stuff Meetup Roster (confirmed):

Zepherin
    Gespo89
    Sentient6
    Psykus
    Exodus1
    fyeahcking (maybe)
    Murdoc (maybe)

P.S. @sentient6 I don't know how hard it'd be for you, but if you could take the metro to Shady Grove, I could pick you up from there.

Exodus1 on
  • fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    I'm a maybe -- might be at a graduation party for most of the day, but I'm in if not.

• OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    And again I can't make it to a meetup. I will be in Alaska on the 26th. I'll meet you guys one of these days... Maybe next month.

Is everyone excited for Saturday? I can't wait to play some of the new games with you guys and gals. Hope to see a big showing so we can have a few games running in tandem. Let me know if anyone has questions or suggestions!

@OccamsRZR ahh darn, hopefully next month!

Is everyone excited for Saturday? I can't wait to play some of the new games with you guys and gals. Hope to see a big showing so we can have a few games running in tandem. Let me know if anyone has questions or suggestions!

@OccamsRZR ahh darn, hopefully next month!

I saw PATV has a new series on board games called "Shut Up & Sit Down" perhaps we could check out the game they reviewed? Called K2, some sort of game based around mountain climbing. Sounds interesting to say the least.

More info: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/73761/k2

P.S. @sentient6 I don't know how hard it'd be for you, but if you could take the metro to Shady Grove, I could pick you up from there.

If I were to take the metro to Shady Grove, what time would I need to arrive?

You'd need to meet me at about 11:00am, it's a 45min drive to the shop from Shady Grove.

I can get there by then if I leave by 8:45 am. :P Wow.