As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just finished it. Better in many ways than the original. Story wasn't very good though, even by the first game's standards.
    Nothing about Pariah? Maybe I need to hunt more brains. Am I supposed to wait for a third game before I find out the deal there?

I was surprised that they just straight up villain-ified Mercer
    and then had him die.

I guess a return is possible, given the ending of the first game.

Wonder if there'll be any story-based DLC with additional missions or stuff like that. Long as the gameplay is fun, and it really is, I can enjoy exploring almost any game's story.

H9f4bVe.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Eh, I imagine if they do a third it'll deal with
    Pariah. And, fingers crossed, Dana will be the new Runner.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Crowbawt wrote: »
    Heller just doesn't have enough popped collars for me I'm sorry

Best reason I've heard yet.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Fucking Heller fucking just fucking doesn't fucking have fucking enough fucking popped fucking collars fucking for fucking me. Shit, I'm fucking sorry

Yeah, likewise ;)

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    YerMum wrote: »
    Fucking Heller fucking just fucking doesn't fucking have fucking enough fucking popped fucking collars fucking for fucking me. Shit, I'm fucking sorry

Yeah, likewise ;)

Ugh... Yeah, the whole excessive swearing made me wince at times.

Also I was a bit disappointed with the whole story. It felt like it moved sideways instead of forward. Even some questions I had from the first game were not really answered...
    /rant

360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Heller was slightly hit and miss combined with a little bit of natural adaption on my part.
    I'm a natural accommodator. I can accommodate quite a large amount of characters because I don't really have super set in stone ideals for what a person should be like. I can roll with Heller's swearing because I'm used to it, I can roll with his obsession and his odd on/off morality.

But occasionally he did things I simply would not do. Like the mission where someone insulted his missus and so he decided to kill the guy. I don't care about peoples words. So to me that is more or less a waste of time I could be spending doing more useful things. His specific reason for doing that mission put me off.

On the other hand sometimes he just decided to randomly kill someone and I roll with that because its vague enough that it doesn't directly cut across what I may or may not do. I'm playing a game where I kill blackwatch so hey this mission wants me to kill blackwatch. That works. I laugh and do the mission.

Then I got to the missions about Maya. Suddenly I'm into it. When Heller is all revved up I'm revved up to. I got super involved in the last part of the story and couldn't stop once I got about three or four missions away from completion. I am highly sympathetic towards father figures. The cutscene where Heller begs Dana, that really got to me.

So more or less I liked parts of him and not others. Like a real person I guess. I don't like everything about most people I know.

Mercer on the other hand was more or less a player analogue and a Thing, so I didn't hate him, I didn't like him or anything like that. I slipped into my Mercer skin when I turned on the game and ran around being a God. I found his character intellectually interesting because they actually portrayed relatively accurately how a thing like that might go about interacting with people. I found his awkwardness amusing. I had no emotional attachment to his personality in Prototype 1.
    So it didn't bother me that he changed radically after a year or so because I never had a specific character in mind for him in the first place.

I wouldn't want to hang around either of them though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Heller was a much better character in my eyes. He took no shit from anyone, he plowed onwards with his revenge spree and had fun doing it. He was out for blood and god help anyone stupid enough to stand in his way.
    But that's not enough to make him a good character. He had some great dialogue and great voice acting. To me, he was as realistic as a man suffering from psychosis who has just been given goopy cannibalism powers can get. The swearing wasn't over the top for me. The man was a Marine for god's sake. Plus, revenge spree and all that jazz.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Morninglord

hey, can you go over some of the stuff you can do in this game, aside from the obvious mash/hold these two buttons and jump a lot stuff?

Do I have to get a bronze medal in a Radnet challenge for it count as complete? I am awful at this recovery race thing in set 1.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    in the art book, there are DLC concepts for those two skins. there are also concepts for an armored version of heller, similar to mercer's armor in the first game. i hope they add that.

Pretty sure thats the armor from the Excessive Force Pack, look it up on Radnet, even though it isn't released yet, the icon showing it, is more or less "Armored Heller"

edited May 2012
    Do I have to get a bronze medal in a Radnet challenge for it count as complete? I am awful at this recovery race thing in set 1.

At least a bronze. You can complete that just by doing max jumps and gliding if you have all the movement upgrades. If not, choose jetboost as soon as you can.

I will get to your request, I only just woke up, it will be all over the place if I post now.

Morninglord on
    I don't have all of the movement upgrades yet, so I guess that one can wait.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Eh, I imagine if they do a third it'll deal with
    Pariah. And, fingers crossed, Dana will be the new Runner.

Aww, yes, that would be sweet.
    Lady Prototype. Would like to see that.

Also, one disappointment involving the final boss.
    No bio-armor? C'mon, that was one of the coolest things in the first game. Bad enough Heller didn't get his own version, Alex should've definitely been using it towards the end.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited May 2012
    @DouglasDanger

I think this is the kind of thing you are looking for. I wont mention the combo thing again since you already know.

Powers
    Claw
    • Claw Lunge can be used once in the air.
    • Claw Lungecan be used from the ground and then again in the air. eg stand on ground, lunge a helicopter, do it again in the air to finish.
    • Claw Lunge can be cancelled with glide or dash in order to gain distance in the air. eg lunge a far away target, cancel with glide, air grab that target.
    • This can be used in combination with repeated jumps to quickly hit and away bigger targets since the lunge will hit in mid air. For example the first Hydra I killed with air lunge, dash soon as it connects, jump, dash, air lunge. It couldn't touch me and I was perfectly safe from all it's ground attacks. I held sprint down while doing this.
    • Claw lunge will make a human target break off their attack. eg a rocket man will stop aiming his rocket during the lunge because they have to do the canned "oh shit" attempt at diving away from you.

Tendrils
    • Only one Black Hole attack in the air
    • Can't get knocked out of the Black Hole animation (still take damage though) This also means you can't cancel it with glide or dash.
    • If you hit a brawler or juggernaught with the normal attacks they will be "pinned" in place and if you have claw/blade/whip on the other button you can rip off an arm for extremely heavy damage or just keep wailing on them with tendril combos until they break out of it.
    • Occasionally you can do a second jump after Black Hole ends. Press jump after it ends, if it works you got lucky. I haven't worked out a consistent timing.
    • Probably the best crowd control power if you don't mind eating attacks during black hole. It usually works out in your favour, but not always.
    • Second best anti armor power.
    • Juggernaughts will often block Black Hole.

Blade
    • Not a bad anti armor power against a single target if you use charged blade drops. The "rebound" effect actually completely negates the normal recovery of this move and the damage it does against armor isn't worthless.
    • Juggernaughts can't block charged blade drop.
    • If you hit a brawler with all 4 hits of tornado spin they will be knocked away.
    • Evolved aren't too bright about avoiding charged blade drop.
    • Super soldiers have a really hard time blocking or countering the default blade combo. A single super soldier will normally eat all of it.
    • The non charge air attack actually travels pretty far, nowhere near as far as claw lunge though.
    • Jack of all trades master of none.
    • Blade drop can be cancelled with glide or dash if you do it accidentally.
    • It's the games default anti-goliath power.

Hammerfists
    • All spike based attacks knock infected opponents into the air. Repeated Hammerfist dives is a completely safe method of killing multiple infected like brawlers and juggernaughts. Just dive until they are edible.
    • 4th hit in the ground combo is a big spike attack. You can use eg claws to get up to this attack quickly by hitting claw three times then hammerfist.
    • All it's attacks have humongous aoe and will stun/interrupt tanks/apcs so they wont do anything while being hit.
    • Elbow drop always bounces up after landing now instead of lying on the ground helpless. This makes it very useful for killing packs of soldiers.
    • Elbow drop can also do the claw lunge "hit and away" strategy I mentioned earlier on big opponents like Juggernaughts.
    • The grounded charged spike attack does the heaviest damage to big infected.
    • Best all around power for fighting anything on the ground.
    • Combos very well with tendrils for fighting armor. Do air black hole on a tank, then hammerfist dive it, leap into air again, repeat.

Whip
    • Whip grab can only be used on the ground. It's range is much longer than Prototype 1 if you charge grab.
    • Whip grab doesn't use up your air grab. Whip grab helicopter -> finisher -> air grab another one -> finisher. Use glide to cancel the fall after doing the whip finisher.
    • Air charged attack can be used repeatedly if you dash or glide in between attacks. It's the only charged attack that can be used multiple times in the air.
    • Both ground and air based charge attack do excellent damage to all infected opponents. Jumping and doing charged whip attack can be used to safely damage and kill any infected opponent, brawler, juggy, evolved, goliath, whatever.
    • Easily the most overpowered bladed power. It can do everything. Anti air, pull humans to you for biobombs, safe killing of infected, easy ground aoe for clearing out packs. Everything. Even just pulling yourself over to tanks for finishers. Got a problem? This has an answer.

Biobomb
    • You are unstunnable during the "poke a bomb into the person" animation.
    • If you have an active biobomb guy in your hands and they get knocked out of your hands they will go off.
    • Highest damage anti armor attack Heller has. It is common to one shot tanks with this. Very rare that it doesn't one shot a helicopter. Sometimes more than one if they are close by. Damage can be slightly variable though.

Shield
    • You are completely untouchable by anything in freeroam while shielding. Only certain boss attacks and special enemies you only get in missions can get through a shield. (Usually anything that says "press x to dodge")
    • If you are not targetting anything a shield parry will return all rockets/missiles/tank shots etc to whoever fired it. 50 rocket men shoot you at the same time? 1 shield parry and all 50 get their rocket back.
    • If you are targetting something while doing a shield parry all rebounded projectiles will hit that target instead.
    • If you get hit in the air shield will cancel the knockdown instantly.
    • If you are hit on the ground it depends on the attack but most knockdowns can be cancelled into shield. Any knockback that puts heller into the air can be cancelled into shield. You can shield in between hits in enemy brawler combos.
    • This is slightly weird, but if you've run out of dashes and want a tiny bit extra distance the shield animation will slide you that extra bit you need.
    • All basic mashy ground combos can be cancelled into shield at any point. Most charged attacks cannot be cancelled into shield. So eg wailing on tanks with hammerfist ground combos while shield parrying projectiles at the tank you are comboing (or back at whoever fired it).

Morninglord on
    Heck yea, that is some good shit right there. Thanks!

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Guys! GUYS!

I don't really like Prototype 2. I know, I know... you CARE about my opinion, so this MATTERS!

In all seriousness, I just don't like it. Parts of it are OK, I suppose. The gameplay itself isn't really BAD, but it's flawed in many ways (targeting is glitchy; if you want to consume someone who is being watched, just walk into them until they are out of the line of sight - they won't mind; etc.). The writing is just terrible. There's no other way to put it. I mean, every single enemy in this game needs a mustache so that they could twirl it while they talk, because they are all just the embodiment of mustache-twirling villains. Everyone is so EEEEEEEEEEEVIL just for the sake of being EEEEEEEEEEEVIL. And the fact that Mercer is the bad guy, that just pisses me off. I HATE when the protagonist of one story becomes the villain of the next one for no good reason. Granted, I haven't beaten the game so I don't know all the motivations at play here, but that doesn't matter. My immediate reaction is "Mercer was a good guy, even if he did eat some civilians when faced with imminent death, so why is he bad now?" And Heller? Man, that dude has got DOUBLE motivation! "I wanted revenge for my wife and child, but that revenge went bad, so now I need to get revenge for my failed revenge!"

I'm not one to typically come to a thread to shit on the subject matter, but damn... I am let down, big time. I'm gonna go read some reactions to see what you guys have been saying, cuz I haven't seen this thread for a little while now. Sad face.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    That post is so fucking quirky I just slashed my wrists.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    I totally don't mind that fawst doesn't like Prototype 2 if it means I get more posts like that to read.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'm on the road and away from my PS3 for the next couple of weeks. Morninglord's scores will be untouchable by the time I get back.
    Not all of them.

I'm completely useless at evading strike teams. :P

Except that one.

kyrcl.png
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I don't know how you finished the first game thinking Mercer was a good guy. Actually it kind of makes sense that you would think that.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, hate to break it to ya Fawst

Mercer wasn't really a good guy at the end of Prototype

Targetting is a fucking pain in the ass in this game though

Half the time I'm trying to target something in front of me and it's choosing that tank a block away, STOP IT

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited May 2012
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I'm on the road and away from my PS3 for the next couple of weeks. Morninglord's scores will be untouchable by the time I get back.
    Not all of them.

I'm completely useless at evading strike teams. :P

Except that one.

And grenades man. How the fuck did you get that many kills! I can't find enough zombies packed tight enough.

Morninglord on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    You can target zombies? :winky:

kyrcl.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Guys! GUYS!

I don't really like Prototype 2. I know, I know... you CARE about my opinion, so this MATTERS!

In all seriousness, I just don't like it. Parts of it are OK, I suppose. The gameplay itself isn't really BAD, but it's flawed in many ways (targeting is glitchy; if you want to consume someone who is being watched, just walk into them until they are out of the line of sight - they won't mind; etc.). The writing is just terrible. There's no other way to put it. I mean, every single enemy in this game needs a mustache so that they could twirl it while they talk, because they are all just the embodiment of mustache-twirling villains. Everyone is so EEEEEEEEEEEVIL just for the sake of being EEEEEEEEEEEVIL. And the fact that Mercer is the bad guy, that just pisses me off. I HATE when the protagonist of one story becomes the villain of the next one for no good reason. Granted, I haven't beaten the game so I don't know all the motivations at play here, but that doesn't matter. My immediate reaction is "Mercer was a good guy, even if he did eat some civilians when faced with imminent death, so why is he bad now?" And Heller? Man, that dude has got DOUBLE motivation! "I wanted revenge for my wife and child, but that revenge went bad, so now I need to get revenge for my failed revenge!"

I'm not one to typically come to a thread to shit on the subject matter, but damn... I am let down, big time. I'm gonna go read some reactions to see what you guys have been saying, cuz I haven't seen this thread for a little while now. Sad face.
    This game has writing?

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    Started a fresh save on insane

Jesus.
    Died 5 times on the shield juggernaught. If you mess up at all he ends you.

It's just as much fun as I thought it would be which is to say a lot.
    Course I'm making it worse (better) by refusing to upgrade my health again.

Morninglord on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    No one on my friend's list has this game

my scores remain unchallenged

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited May 2012
    Noticed a few neat little details while running around in freeroam:

-If infected take down a living human, like a Blackwatch trooper, they'll start eating his body. If two infected target the same dead body, they'll start fighting over it, eventually pulling it in half, with both infected dragging their respective halves away.

-You can grab big blue canisters of the virus from Blackwatch bases. If you damage them first before picking them up, they'll start spraying red viral fumes. Any human that you happen to be near when this happens will start convulsing, fall over, and eventually revive as an infected. Affects soldiers and civilians alike. Run around through a crowded area with one and a full-blown infected army will spring up.

Goin' looking for more now.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    I really want to make avatars out of some of the little cartoons for the powers and upgrades. I wonder if there are pictures on the wiki.

Re: Mercer by the end of the first one:

I got fired from my job the Friday before Prototype came out. I got REAL fucking high on every day that ended in 'y' that first month of being jobless. I played this during that time so it's entirely possible that I blanked out on Mercer becoming a bad guy, but I honestly don't recall that happening. Did he grow a mustache and twirl it? ;) Honestly, I think I kinda tuned out of the story or paying much attention to anything other than "run up wall, jump off building, glide, dash, glide, repeat." Was it really blatantly obvious that Mercer wasn't a good guy? I felt throughout the story that he was supposed to be. I'm usually good at picking up on stuff like that.

I heard that his turn to villainy is detailed in the comic book.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    He eats people for health. I don't think good guys would generally do that. The only person he doesn't eat is his sister.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    DDanger, thanks, no wonder I never realized it.

DeMoN, I completely disagree. The PLAYER can do that, but I don't recall a single instance of Mercer deliberately/specifically consuming a civilian/innocent person without the direct intervention of the player. He's more of an anti-hero than a good guy anyways, but even still... hero. Not villain. Ah well.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    his motivations may have been 'good', but he was still 100% viral monstrosity from the beginning of the game. he murdered tons and tons of soldiers throughout the story, eating them to gain their memories. he did this all for selfish reasons, the one single heroic act he did was saving new york from being nuked into oblivion...

Sorry, when those games go so far out of their way to ensure that we know, without an ounce of doubt, that those soldiers were as evil as can be, I don't see his consuming them as bad at all. And selfish? Well, by nature, revenge is pretty selfish, so sure, I'll give you that one. And besides, I said he was an anti-hero. I always saw it as Mercer was getting to the bottom of what happened to him, defending himself and saving the people of New York in the process. I never felt he was a bad guy at all. This is all a moot point anyways.

man, batman is an anti-hero. hulk is an anti-hero. jack bauer is an anti-hero. mercer is full on, cannibalistic psychopath murderer whom saves new york likely to spare the mutant virus which he himself is comprised of. no matter how 'evil' the bad guys are, do they deserve to be eaten alive and consumed? atleast heller has legitimate reasons for revenge, other than mercer's motivations which are "can't remember who i am or what is happening... better kill everyone!"

it's not a big deal but personally, even when i was playing prototype 1, mercer seemed like the bad guy.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    20 bucks off at Best Buy this week.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2012
    One of the in game woi's for mercer details his personality profile.
    I'll level it to ya guys.
    It's a psychopath's profile. Not "this guy is super evil we'll call him a psychopath" profile. They actually put a proper Silence of the Lambs psychopath profile in there. Mercer has very little emotion in the entire game. You know the last bit at the end? With all the yelling? You know why he is doing that? To make him run. He was told to push him hard and keep him running, so he is.
    He lacks empathy for others and all his reasons/motivations are entirely selfish. He does get a tiny, tiny bit better by the end of the game, but it's akin to a man with a crippled leg learning to walk again. He's still way below the bar.

Morninglord on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    See, that doesn't make him evil though. He just legitimately has no regard for human life. He refrains from killing Dana because he thinks that's not what you're supposed to do to your sister. Doctor dude was useful and hadn't done anything to fuck with Mercer, so there. Otherwise, he's only killing people because they're trying to kill him first or because he's trying to get to the bottom of things. He doesn't have any humane motivations, but neither does he have any malicious ones. I don't recall him ever seeming to take pleasure from eating a person, it's just what he does.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    You would consider Batman an anti-hero? I really wouldn't. The fact that he goes out of his way to not kill people and tries to work with the police doesn't seem anti-hero to me. Now the Punisher, Max Payne, and the Hulk, they're anti-hero to me.

Kadoken wrote: »
    You would consider Batman an anti-hero? I really wouldn't. The fact that he goes out of his way to not kill people and tries to work with the police doesn't seem anti-hero to me. Now the Punisher, Max Payne, and the Hulk, they're anti-hero to me.

anti-hero in methods. he beats criminals within an inch of their lives, breaks bones and drops them off buildings. he's a good guy but with unforgiving edge. most heroes don't try to scare you, or cost you thousands of dollars in dental surgery.

but that is another discussion