As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Fitness Group!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Is there no justice in this world? New season of floor hockey started tonight. I am on the same team and play on the same line with the guy that busted my ankle a few weeks ago. What?! Ugh. I also almost busted my other ankle twice. Haha.

I only have 5 WW points left for today. Oiy. I think I am going to go over again. I only had two "meals" today and could go for something now since I will be up till 4am as usual. I guess I still have my weekly extra points and fitness points. If I don't lose anything this week, I need to scrap my whole eating pattern and find new things to eat.

It sounds like your eating pattern isn't working if you're up to 4 am every night. Sleeping is when your body heals and digests best, if you're seriously lacking sleep you should also try and adjust that as well.

Well, I am jobless and have nothing to do, so I stay up late and get up at like 11am. Haha. It isn't that out of whack.

I played hockey three times in this weigh in week. If that doesn't jump start me losing again, I am just going to have to commit to better food I guess.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Man, I checked out someone's FitBit profile this morning and saw their friends had over 150,000 steps in the past 7 days. Made me feel like my over 70k was nothing! :(

Haha, I spied on the West thread and it's funny, they're talking 5ks, marathons and weights, and we talk FitBit, walking more and diet. Interesting contrast!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Man, I checked out someone's FitBit profile this morning and saw their friends had over 150,000 steps in the past 7 days. Made me feel like my over 70k was nothing! :(

Haha, I spied on the West thread and it's funny, they're talking 5ks, marathons and weights, and we talk FitBit, walking more and diet. Interesting contrast!

If by diet you mean cookies, cake and pizza, then yes, diet :)

Us Easties are more laid back :)

vttym wrote: »

Damn right we are!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • TryfanTryfan Registered User regular

I look at it like this: Japanese food is healthy, a buffet is plentiful, ergo Japanese buffet is really healthy!

My gf does not agree with this sentiment.

PSN/XBL/Twitter: tryfan2k2 3DS: 0645-5860-0116
  • TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    Tryfan wrote: »

I look at it like this: Japanese food is healthy, a buffet is plentiful, ergo Japanese buffet is really healthy!

My gf does not agree with this sentiment.

Why don't people get that piles of healthy food = piles of healthiness? :P

.6lb lost in the past week. Not terrible. Lost 1lb last week. Hopefully next week is a larger loss. I will have played hockey 4 times between today and next weigh in. Go team.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    People who see me everyday are starting to notice my weight loss, I can't wait til I can see the results.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    People who see me everyday are starting to notice my weight loss, I can't wait til I can see the results.

To be honest, I say screw everyone's opinion if I look skinner. My looks only matter to me. If I don't look how I want, shutty.

I think I am starting to notice subtle things. After I shaved my huge hockey playoff beard (had it for like a month or more I think) I thought my face looked a lot more slim that before. I am at 226 and change right now. I think once I get to 200 and lower I will really notice the changes that I truly want. Slow and steady wins the race. I might not hit my resolution of going to the beach and taking my shirt off this year, but I will 100% do it next year (or if I go on vacation). Actually I could hit that by August I think if I pick up the pace.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2012

I don't really see the difference (except for my face which doesn't look as round) but I can feel it in how my clothes are fitting. And this is after 60+ lbs!

EDIT: Just read this awesome article about getting up and moving every day, found it on Reddit: http://www.npr.org/2012/05/09/152336802/stand-up-walk-around-even-just-for-20-minutes

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Yea, I am down just about 30lbs and I definitely notice my clothes being different. I almost want to just toss everything that I don't like the feel of and starting a whole new wardrobe.

Sticks and pucks went well today. Nothing too crazy. Had a burst of skating here and there, but for the most part was just messing around with people. Bachelor party tomorrow, so nothing that happens counts. Hehe. Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday I am back to the hockey grind.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I know I haven't checked in a few weeks - work/life has been busy, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    I've finally started the Gethin workout that @baconsandwich linked to - a big thank you to @PayneTrayne for putting the boot in my ass - and there's no other way to describe it than 'intense'. I won't be doing the dieting part this time around, instead sticking to my nutritionist's plan, but really pushing myself to match the workout routine. That said, today was day 1, so we'll see how long that lasts :lol:

Really glad you guys are all enjoying the fitbit. I've considered it, but think I'm going to hold off a little longer.
    Yea, I am down just about 30lbs and I definitely notice my clothes being different. I almost want to just toss everything that I don't like the feel of and starting a whole new wardrobe.

I'm starting to run into the same problem - mixed feelings b/c the budget is a little tight atm, but happy that I just had to buy a new belt!

5I7JEDi.png
    Starting a new job this Sunday, and if I'm tempted to get a FitBit because I know I'll be walking for 8 hours a day because of it..

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    edited May 2012
    A friend asked me about what the FitBit actually does, so this is what I told him:
    Well, it records your steps, stairs, and how much you move in your sleep! You can also join groups and have friends that you compare your numbers with.

What YOU need to do is have the drive to see the numbers, set a goal to increase those numbers, and keep doing that. For me it's about getting up out of my chair and moving during the work day. Because of the FitBit I'm walking over 10,000 steps (about 5 miles) every day, three times more than I did without it. I take the long way to every point in the office now!

EDIT: Speaking of walking, for my 30 minutes weekend walks I finally started playing Run, Zombies on my Touch! Holy hell was that awesome!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Been busy with wedding stuff, but hoping to get more focused on the running - have a nice 4Miler at the end of June and my fiance and I want to crush it :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    I may not be able to make it to Prime (fingers crossed that I can still go) but neither hell nor high water will keep me from showing off next East!

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I don't really see the difference (except for my face which doesn't look as round) but I can feel it in how my clothes are fitting. And this is after 60+ lbs!

EDIT: Just read this awesome article about getting up and moving every day, found it on Reddit: http://www.npr.org/2012/05/09/152336802/stand-up-walk-around-even-just-for-20-minutes

good article! I am a big fan of this technique - on superbetter, my most frequently beaten "bad guy" is the "sitting down for more than 1 hour". I have a little alarm on my cell phone that goes off every 30 minutes to remind me to get up and refill my water bottle, or pop into my boss' office with a question, or go up the stairs to the bathroom. just to keep the "chair butt" and overall lethargy away, LOL. I think it shows too, because even when I'm not one of the step leaders in our fitbit group (usually averaging between 4th and 7th place) I am still usually pretty close to the top with my active score because I keep myself moving little bits throughout the day.

BTW, HI GUYS!!! :) and more specifically, hi from australia! I finally got a chance to get some free internet today, so I'm checking email, forums, twitter, etc. also finally got a chance to dock my fitbit and WOOOOHOOOO! averaging 12,000 steps a day! (finally managed to unseat you chorazin - you've been kicking serious ass since you started!) it has been an incredibly active vacation. walking the neighborhoods of sydney, hiking in the blue mountains, swimming and snorkeling on the great barrier reef... so awesome. I think I have lost a few pounds (judging by the way my jeans are fitting), which is good because I had gained a few in the weeks after PAX. went back up to the mid 190s, so I'm hoping to be back under it when I get home. (no scale to check while I'm here).

anyway, just had to pop in and say hi to my fitness challenge peeps! <3 you, fit PAX friends!! :)

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    I'm jelly about your trip. Don't fall into a cavern like that one movie!

So, Saturday was a mess. I had a very small breakfast. We had some drinks and then ate at Fogo De Chao. This place...my God. MEAT AFTER MEAT AFTER MEAT AFTER MEAT. I 100% went over my WW total and ate more than I should've have. It was well worth it though for the price you pay. I highly recommend that place to eat, but you have to extremely pace yourself. Once the waiters put meat on your plate, they leave, you try to pick it up with your fork, and they are already serving you something else. Oiy.

We went to a bar after that (bachelor party). I didn't really drink though. So, I guess all in all, the night wasn't horrible for WW.

Played some ice hockey tonight for an hour and a half. Floor hockey tomorrow, walking around NY with an out of town friend, hockey game Wednesday night, and sticks and pucks on Friday. Busy busy. I still have to pick up my best man suit and write a speech.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I forgot my FitBit at home today. :( I worked hard all weekend to make sure I got 10k steps each day and then left it on the charger this morning. This fucking sucks.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Well, a second FitBit arrived to replace the first.. and so I now have a functional and syncing FitBit. So step leaders, be on the lookout for an up and comer ;)

Looking forward to exploring all the little things you can do with this device. Aria scale folks - honestly, is it worth it? Father's day might come down to Diablo 3, the scale, or a Hauppauge HD-PVR. All have valid reasons to be on the list ;)

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aria scale folks - honestly, is it worth it? Father's day might come down to Diablo 3, the scale, or a Hauppauge HD-PVR. All have valid reasons to be on the list ;)

Man, Diablo 3 vs Aria...... that is a tough call. I really do love our scale but I am not sure it is a must. Having fat % and weight auto logged for me is nice but you could get a cheaper scale and do the logging yourself. It's really about having the data in there.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    Well, a second FitBit arrived to replace the first.. and so I now have a functional and syncing FitBit. So step leaders, be on the lookout for an up and comer ;)

Looking forward to exploring all the little things you can do with this device. Aria scale folks - honestly, is it worth it? Father's day might come down to Diablo 3, the scale, or a Hauppauge HD-PVR. All have valid reasons to be on the list ;)

The Aria scale is cool because you don't need to track your weight yourself, it's all stored on the FitBit website. Other than that, it's just a scale. You can get scales that will do more readings for cheaper, without the wifi.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @browncoatbeth - OMG AWESOME! Have fun, come back, tell awesome stories!

@redfield85 - Fogo is amazing. I had my first experience there at Gencon last year. I'm totally going back, it was awesome.

@vttym - man, your commitment is inspiring. Either that or you're just obsessed with joining up with things. Either way.

So for me, today is Day 1 of the Gethin 12 week plan (bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1-day-1.html). Weighed in this morning on my (non-Aria) scale, and got the following results:

Weight: 245.6lb
    Fat%: 32.4%
    Water%: 46.2%

Excited to see where this goes! Pictures will be posted soon, probably will make some sort of online album (warning: Photos Will Contain Overweight Shirtless Man)

EDIT: Just finished the first workout. Holy cow, this is gonna be intense. So excited!

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    edited May 2012

EDIT: Just finished the first workout. Holy cow, this is gonna be intense. So excited!

You know nothing about intensity, John Snow!

But seriously, week 2 Legs was the death of me.

Also! Fellow Fitocrats, I just started midnights, is it healthier to work out when I wake up and then go to work or to go to work, work out and then go to sleep?

PayneTrayne on
    Why did I even jump on the scale today? Weigh in is Thursday at like 11am and it is almost 6:30pm. A dummy is me!

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2012
    @Redfield85 My roommate is down in Orlando this week w/ family and I am totally forwarding him that restaurant

@browncoatbeth I've heard so many good things from friends who've made the trip! It's fantastic that you're enjoying it :) I hear that McDonalds is the best international source of free wifi but then you'd be in a McD...

@BaconSandwich Awesome! My scale would do all those extra things if I bothered to configure it... maybe tomorrow...
    Are you doing the diet/supplement regimen or just the workout?

@PayneTrayne considering that I'm still feeling the week 1 leg workout 3 days later, that's real encouraging! Oy. As for me - I've worked nights for a few years now and find it easier to go to the gym after. That way I just zonk out when I get home instead of dealing with insomnia. Whether or not that's the healthy option, I have no idea. Maybe go with how you feel after a workout - energized? Then before. Exhausted? After. Or maybe ask one of the gym-pros?

Direwolf on
    5I7JEDi.png
    Direwolf wrote: »
    @BaconSandwich Awesome! My scale would do all those extra things if I bothered to configure it... maybe tomorrow...
    Are you doing the diet/supplement regimen or just the workout?

Diet yes. All the supplements, no. Just protein powder, a multi, and some BCAAs

I think I'll be sticking with after work until it starts to affect my sleep schedule. Thinking about dropping judo for the summer as we're working 6 day weeks. Gah, choices!

Grabbed my FitBit as soon as I got home last night and gave it a big hug. Then after dinner, I clipped it to my exercise shirt's collar, put on a hoody, and went for a 40 minute walk in the rain! I happily got in 5000 steps, so hopefully my weekly average isn't too horrible.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Grabbed my FitBit as soon as I got home last night and gave it a big hug. Then after dinner, I clipped it to my exercise shirt's collar, put on a hoody, and went for a 40 minute walk in the rain! I happily got in 5000 steps, so hopefully my weekly average isn't too horrible.

Love it - getting those steps in even after you know you spent a day getting steps in without the FitBit! That's MOAR STEPS!!

I have to say, since getting the FitBit, I'm very happy with the synchronization it has with MyFitnessPal -- I was worried I'd be managing a bunch of different things, but I still just log my food and exercise on MFP (now putting in a start time), and everything else syncs between the two. I now realize all those steps I was taking that wasn't on a treadmill was good for about 500 more calories to eat (which explains why I was losing weight so fast before - I wasn't taking that into account).

I also find my desire to log stuff in Fitocracy is waning a bit since getting Fitbit .. aside from keeping a historical record of my lifting, it isn't doing it much for me anymore -- anyone else going through that?

edited May 2012

Love it - getting those steps in even after you know you spent a day getting steps in without the FitBit! That's MOAR STEPS!!

I have to say, since getting the FitBit, I'm very happy with the synchronization it has with MyFitnessPal -- I was worried I'd be managing a bunch of different things, but I still just log my food and exercise on MFP (now putting in a start time), and everything else syncs between the two. I now realize all those steps I was taking that wasn't on a treadmill was good for about 500 more calories to eat (which explains why I was losing weight so fast before - I wasn't taking that into account).

I also find my desire to log stuff in Fitocracy is waning a bit since getting Fitbit .. aside from keeping a historical record of my lifting, it isn't doing it much for me anymore -- anyone else going through that?

Exactly what you said. Since I have moved away from lifting and more towards Zumba and Yoga I don't feel the need to use fitocracy anymore. All my calorie info and activities are in fitbit's interface so why go somewhere else. ;)

Also wanted to ask how you like myfitnesspal's interface? Have you tried fitbit's to see how it compares?

adias.angel on
    edited May 2012

Also wanted to ask how you like myfitnesspal's interface? Have you tried fitbit's to see how it compares?

I prefer myfitnesspal for a couple of reasons:

Larger food database
    Has an app for my windows phone
    Is something I've been using for a while, and have a little community there

Since it syncs so well (as in, everything I'd want it to sync syncs perfectly), I have no need to use FitBit's stuff (and really couldn't on my phone, which would have sucked if I was forced to). FitBit tells MyFitnessPal how many steps I've taken throughout the day, and adjusts my calories exercised accordingly, and MyFitnessPal tells FitBit what I ate, and any exercising I did (including start time, so FitBit can apply the appropriate logging for that), and calories burned if I input it.

So it works for me .. if FitBit were to get a WP7 app, I might consider it, but since it's all seamless now anyway, I have little incentive to do so. FitBit looks nicer on the computer, for sure.. but it's not how I would be using it most of the time.

vttym on
    Day 2's workout down, and I'm struggling to type my arms are so exhausted.

This meal plan is wonderful, I've never tried this many meals in a day. Having something to munch on every couple hours is definitely keeping the cravings away. It's pretty repetitive, but during these sorts of cycles I tend to think of food as a fuel source rather than something delicious. Not saying I'm not making good food, just I don't mind eating the same thing every day if I don't have to think about fat/carb/protein balance.

Good news, everybody!

Zombies, Run! is coming to Android next month: http://blog.zombiesrungame.com/post/23164269892/android-28-days-later-june-14th

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Good news, everybody!

Zombies, Run! is coming to Android next month: http://blog.zombiesrungame.com/post/23164269892/android-28-days-later-june-14th

Awesome, because the fake apps that exist now are terrible.

5I7JEDi.png
    edited May 2012
    So much hustle in my ice hockey game tonight. We were stuck in super shitty traffic (3 lanes turned into 1) and I was really pissed that we might miss the first period of my game if things didn't get moving.

We got there with enough time to get changed and warm up thankfully. I was so fired up from everything. I think I played a great game (missed plenty of open nets/chances). Even had a guy slash/shove me and mock me. I know I am doing my instigator work correctly when.... Haha.

Weigh in today. I am so nervous.

edit: Aww yeaaa. Back on track. 1.4 lbs lost.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I joined Fitocracy and the PAX group as 'zerocosmic'. (boy do I like changing nicknames often) Is the site solely a way to track exercises? I didn't see any options or pages that would recommend exercises to start out on. My roommates have an elliptical machine that I've been trying out and i'm enjoying it so far even though I almost never exercise. I'll keep doing that and tracking my sessions on the site for now, maybe after I add more things and level up it will start sending me recommendations?

Psykus on
    edit: Aww yeaaa. Back on track. 1.4 lbs lost.

Very nice! :-D

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited May 2012
    Psykus wrote: »
    So I joined Fitocracy and the PAX group as 'zerocosmic'. (boy do I like changing nicknames often) Is the site solely a way to track exercises? I didn't see any options or pages that would recommend exercises to start out on. My roommates have an elliptical machine that I've been trying out and i'm enjoying it so far even though I almost never exercise. I'll keep doing that and tracking my sessions on the site for now, maybe after I add more things and level up it will start sending me recommendations?

With fitocracy they best way to level is weight lifting. When we were at PAX one of the panelist at the fitocracy forums recommend the book starting strength to me. Dgeorge on here is part way though it and said it really breaks all the moves down for you.

Otherwise if you are looking for high calorie workouts - Oh. Mah. Gawd. Get a Zumba DVD. You will feel ridiculousness doing it at times but talk about awesome cardio.

Edited: And no it won't send you recommendations but if you have some ideas of what you like (cardio vs strength vs flexibility) I bet we could get you going on a good routine. ;)

adias.angel on
  • PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    Psykus wrote: »

With fitocracy they best way to level is weight lifting. When we were at PAX one of the panelist at the fitocracy forums recommend the book starting strength to me. Dgeorge on here is part way though it and said it really breaks all the moves down for you.

Otherwise if you are looking for high calorie workouts - Oh. Mah. Gawd. Get a Zumba DVD. You will feel ridiculousness doing it at times but talk about awesome cardio.

Edited: And no it won't send you recommendations but if you have some ideas of what you like (cardio vs strength vs flexibility) I bet we could get you going on a good routine. ;)

Hmm, well I'm mostly looking to lose weight at this point, I've heard cardio is good for that? I've always enjoyed walking/running until I finally run out of energy. Zumba DVD sounds like a lot of fun, haha.

This discussion has been closed.