As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles] New IDW ongoing series.

2»

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I have yet to see those micro series anywhere

Also, Nolan North resuming his role as Raph in an ongoing series? Awesome.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Donatello one-shot might be the best of the micro series so far. Fun story dealing with Don and tech stuff, and Valerio Schiti is a really good artist who I think we'll be seeing more from in the future. This is the first time I've seen his art but he's got a really nice Paco Medina/Ryan Stegman style that knows when to play cartoony and when to dial it down. On top of that the book just gets the turtles really well, like these scenes:

tmntdonatelloa.jpg

This is the kind of stuff you also get in the main series, it really will surprise you when you read it, if the Marvel double shipping and DCnU is making you feel bummed, give this book a shot.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    just read the first trade and it was pretty fantastic. I'm not sure how far it collects though.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    First trade is 1-5. Series is up to issue 7.

• Options
    Issue #8 out today!

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    No activity since the big reveal in the last issue? Shame!

I got my hands on everything from this series a couple days ago and plowed through it all in one sitting earlier this afternoon. It's delightful. Lots of nods to previous TMNT stuff that I just squee'd at when I saw it (OMG the Raph one-shot!), and the attitude/tone balance between "serious let's kick shell" time and "messin with my bro's" time feels very natural. My experience with the franchise comes primarily from the old cartoon (which needs to be on Netflix IW, damnit!), the first three movies (see earlier, at least for the first two), and the 8 and 16-bit brawlers. I'm somewhat aware of the original Mirage series, and I did see some of the cartoon from back in 04/05 or so, but really this series just feels like a loveletter to the whole franchise.

For newbies, here's my recommended reading order for what's available so far:

Issues 1-5
    Micro 1-3 (Raph, Mike, Don; can be read in any order)
    Issues 6-8
    Micro 4 (Leo)
    Issue 9

Speaking of the Mirage series, looks like it's getting the re-release treatment but in full color under the title "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Color Classics."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I picked up issues 8,9, and the first issue of the "Color Classics" line at Hastings last night. I really enjoyed reading issues 7-9. I missed issues 3-6...suppose I'll have to get the trade at some point.

I thought the
    Shredder
    reveal was pretty awesome.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    the micros are getting a trade aren't they? I saw that vol 2 comes out this summer in june or july i think according to amazon

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am just lazy and haven't gotten the trade of the first few issues. I have all the micros except Raph. I actually bought the first issue of the main series to just have it (or a version...it is a black and white version).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Is anyone still reading this? I've been keeping up with the main and micro series since it went digital on ComiXology and it's been one of the most consistent reads each month, though I admit the build up to
    the Shredder fight was a bit drawn out. It took about 3 issues for them to finally get to the damn thing.
    I just wrapped up the Fugitoid micro and I squealed like a 5 year old at the mention of
    the Technodrome. I can't freaking wait to see what they've done with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Is anyone still reading this? I've been keeping up with the main and micro series since it went digital on ComiXology and it's been one of the most consistent reads each month, though I admit the build up to
    the Shredder fight was a bit drawn out. It took about 3 issues for them to finally get to the damn thing.
    I just wrapped up the Fugitoid micro and I squealed like a 5 year old at the mention of
    the Technodrome. I can't freaking wait to see what they've done with it.

i'm still reading it. love this series and where they're going with it. loved the turtles since i was like 6. haven't quite made it to the comic shop to pick up the latest issues though. stupid job and work...

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    I moved and had to cancel all my comics so I haven't even been able to keep up.

• Options
    I just ordered the 2nd volume. They seem to be releasing them as soon as they get enough issues unlike marvel/dc releases so I don't feel as far behind as with other series.

Is the micro trade a good addition? I wasn't sure how much it tied into the series

• Options
    edited September 2012
    The micro's are primarily about fleshing out backstory and exploring characters. It's a worthy read. Mike and Don's (Don's is free on ComiXology) stories are fun standalone affair, though a device in Don's is mentioned in a later micro. Raph's introduces a character that shows up in the main series; and Leo's I'd consider highly suggested, if not quite essential, reading for the main series.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So the new Nick series debuts on the 29th, and in the most disappointing news ever, Nolan North is not reprising Raph. He's playing Krang.

Sean Astin is playing Raph.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Wait, this IDW series is new? I thought it was colourized reprints, must have gotten it confused with the Classics trades being released (which I am picking up).

Argh, now I need to see if I can get a complete run of back issues to catch up...

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Just get the trades. They seem to be releasing them super quickly.

• Options
    The new cartoon series premieres tonight at 8 PM EST on Nickelodeon for those curious.

• Options
    This... is actually pretty good. Aimed at a younger crowd obviously, but there are lots of nods to previous incarnations and the voice acting is really good.

The art style actually works pretty well.

• Options
    Wow, that was just the first half hour of the premiere but it was quite good. Had some very genuinely funny moments.

• Options
    That's good to hear! I watched the latest animated movie a couple of years ago and was quite pleased with it. Might have to check out the new cartoon

Also super duper excited for the annual! Written and drawn by Laird!

• Options
  • Options
    Issues 1-10 are on sale for .99 at ComiXology this weekend, or you could opt for the first two trades for $4 each if you prefer digital trades for some reason.

2003 Animated series and the 100 page Archie issue are on sale as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I bought the 2 trades. I wanted the physical ones, but this was a good deal.

I think the third trade comes out in a week or two. Anyone know if ComiXology puts up new trades on release day?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Did anyone pick up the Annual written and drawn by Eastman? I had a hard time sucking down the price for it, but it's Eastman doing Turtles on his own so fuck it. Story felt pretty drawn out, and I'm not sure the payoff was worth it, but it was a fun bro-tastic one. Think TMNT meets, eh...Pulp Fiction, I guess? Art is classic Eastman all the way. Worth a read if you can handle the $8 I think it costs, or wait for comiXology sale or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up the Annual written and drawn by Eastman? I had a hard time sucking down the price for it, but it's Eastman doing Turtles on his own so fuck it. Story felt pretty drawn out, and I'm not sure the payoff was worth it, but it was a fun bro-tastic one. Think TMNT meets, eh...Pulp Fiction, I guess? Art is classic Eastman all the way. Worth a read if you can handle the $8 I think it costs, or wait for comiXology sale or something.

yeah, it did feel a bit drawn out in parts. like he was aiming to make it more a crime drama than a TMNT storyline. took me the better part of a week to finish it. still, it was enjoyable and worth it imo. but if the $8 or$9 price tag is too much just wait like Bullio said

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Anyone still reading this? Is it still good? I dropped off around issue 8 and remember digging it. I'm thinking about getting caught up.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I am.

It is.

There's a new 4 issue miniseries (currently on issue 2) called The Secret History of the Foot Clan that...well, you can figure it out. The micro-series is starting up again very soon as well, and it's going to explore the villains this time. The only issue I'd avoid is the Annual, which was very bloated and really not all that interesting. Nice if you want to see some new Eastman art, though.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm waiting for Comixology to get off their asses and add volume 4 to the app.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    yeah this series is definitely kicking major ass. really digging the direction they're going with it. and follow Bullio's advice and dodge the Annual. it wasn't all that great. took me almost 2 weeks to read it cause i just kept putting it down to read something else