As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    E:
    The Eagles- a volunteer/self monitoring rangers guild protecting the plains of Roquinerol free of national borders.
    The Metal Raptors- half orc and half elf lawman duo, contracted by the king of Cartney to patrol his desert borders and protect against a perceived dragonborn threat.
    The Electric Six- a gang of tiefling weather mages. Known to operate certain toll sectors of the ocean, demanding a fee for a prevailing wind.
    Elvis C'Stellio- a half elven poet who has worked in several royal courts.
    Elrich of Clapton- a dwarven bandit and highwayman.

Straightzi on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    F:
    Fight Like Apes- a group of savage fire genasi terrorists. Motives unclear.
    Fine Young Cannibals- a human adventuring party who famously got trapped in a dungeon and were forced into consuming one another.
    Florence- a strange air genasi who supposedly holds the sole access to a mysterious and powerful machine.
    Archduke Franz Ferdinand- a poor fire genasi who, through a mishap of mistaken identity, was crowned an archduke of Lennox.
    Francis Nikoli- an earth genasi religious scholar and historian.
    The Fratellis- a family of fire genasi thieves.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    E:
    The Eagles- a volunteer/self monitoring rangers guild protecting the plains of Roquinerol free of national borders.
    The Metal Raptors- half orc and half elf lawman duo, contracted by the king of Cartney to patrol his desert borders and protect against a perceived dragonborn threat.
    The Electric Six- a gang of tiefling weather mages. Known to operate certain toll sectors of the ocean, demanding a fee for a prevailing wind.
    Elvis C'Stellio- a half elven poet who has worked in several royal courts.
    Elrich of Clapton- a dwarven bandit and highwayman.

No Elton John?

John of Elton, perhaps?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    can't wait to read about Genesis.

Whoops, he's not on my iPod so I forgot him.

Sir John, champion of Elton, captain of the elite honor guard of the Stardust King.

edited May 2012
    G:
    The Seekers of Genesis- a group of mysticists, primarily eladrin and gnomes, looking to discover the origins of and meaning of life.
    The Gogol Bordello- a notorious house of ill repute run by the Gogol family, it is rumored to provide certain unusual services. While technically in Harristonia, the family defends itself violently enough to prevent anyone from the government from causing problems.
    The GORILLA Project- Damian Allbyrne's powered armor research and implementation group.
    Guess Who- an unnamed group of halfling ecoterrorists and saboteurs. Leaves no name or calling card, but operates with such distinctive style that their attacks are unmistakeable.
    The Throne of the Bow and the Rose- the ruling family of the free haven city of Paradise, just beyond the wall of USSR.

Straightzi on
    H:

Harvey Danger- Fire genasi travelling ronin figure.
    The Hot Rats- changeling gang of art thieves.

I:

Ida Maria- fire genasi warlock with a connection to the world of fae. Primarily operates as a freelance adventurer.
    The White Star- a fabled privateer ship, reputedly captained by a ghost. Its allegiance is unknown, and the pirates who claim to have survived its assaults describe it as a black ship with red sails with a large white star on them.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I am shocked and appalled at the lack of "Iron Maidens - something about female heavy armored brigade"

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited May 2012
    J:
    Jack of the White- half elf shaman and freelance adventurer.
    The Jedwards- a pair of goblin warlocks seemingly both named Jedward, in service to the Stardust King. Speculation abounds that their studies of what lies beyond the stars had driven them mad.
    Jet-? ??
    The Jethro Theatre- an art opera in Lennox run by Ian Anders, an eladrin.
    Madame Jett- a tiefling warden who runs what is purported to be a nature preserve on her own private island in Discos. Rumor is she uses the preserve to hunt humanoids captured by her roving band of Blackhearts.
    Johnson Cash- a minotaur travelling demon hunter. Gone missing, presumed dead.
    Ian the Curt- tiefling spy in charge of operation Joy Division during the Clash. Integrated himself with half elves in Discos and instigated revolutionary measures.
    Brother Justin- a young cleric and missionary working on assignment in the western deserts.

Straightzi on
    I am shocked and appalled at the lack of "Iron Maidens - something about female heavy armored brigade"

Oh hey yeah.

The Iron Maidens- an all female orcish siege team.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    You doing anything with King Crimson @Straightzi ?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There needs to be a legend about The Date of Music's Mortal Wound.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    How could you forget about such legends as:

The Black Eyed: A cult of nefarious souls roaming from town to town converting lost children.
    Britt An'ae, Lady of the Spears: Valkyrie of the battlefield who has nearly lost her mind from such blood-lust.
    Christania Agaulaira: A popular sorceress who was tricked by a clan of Djinns and now calls a lamp home.
    David Hassiel'Huff: The false prophet who would lord himself as a god within a fallen empire.
    En'Rickae Aglacious: The charming ambassador who in his free time attempts to seduce demons onto a blade.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Because I ain't got them in my iPod and I gota shit memory.

That's what I am relying on y'all for, otherwise we end up with a world of purified indie punk.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    There needs to be a legend about The Date of Music's Mortal Wound.

Don McLean is a halfling historian. Already on top of it.

edited May 2012
    K:
    Chief Qai'saar- fire genasi chief of police in the capitol of Lennox
    Kan Ye- dragonborn warlock prince of the western desert. Part of the current succession crisis.
    Kegpha- a young human sorceress leading an assault against the tower of wizardry in Cartney.
    The Flower Killers- a devout primal tribe of water genasi known to offer their services as mercenaries.
    The Kills- a mysterious magical assassin duo composed of fire genasi invoker VV and water genasi swordmage Hotel.
    Kynx- an old human druidic circle. Presumed inactive.

Straightzi on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    You doing anything with King Crimson @Straightzi ?

hell

yes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIbpt-CCTY

The Crimson King- a major king back in the world of Faerie, this eladrin rarely visits the world of man.

L:
    Archmage Gaga- a highly trained human wizard from a noble family, and the current master of the wizard's tower in Cartney.
    The Leaden Dirigible- an airship originally crewed by dwarven paladin Robert Plant, his halfling rogue page, James, half orc artificer, John Paul Jones, and human wizard John Bonham. Current whereabouts and crew unknown.
    LMFAO-? ??
    The Long Winters- water genasi I guess?
    Los Campesinos- fire genasi maybe?
    Lou Reed- disgraced elven general, exiled from Glamdrys for revealing certain secrets of the world of Faerie.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Began my game tonight in media res. First person turned up, sat down, and rather than waiting for the others I instantly put an opponent on the pre-prepared battle map and told him to roll for initiative.

In story, when we left the game a couple weeks ago, the party separated to complete different errands and were due to re-join each other where two city-states were about to have a conclusive battle. The errands weren't important, so I decided it would be more interesting if I just skipped ahead to the part where they actually met on the battlefield.

Hence, as each player turned up and sat down, they rolled initiative, a few more opponents were added, and joined in the melee, somewhat disoriented and confused as each individual PC met and joined the others on the field of battle.

It came with some drawbacks, but I filled in the first person, added some colour for the second, and then basically they took over filling in the next couple players as each new player turned up. The skipping ahead on the story and joining an encounter in progress was a little disorientating, but I think it was also new enough that the novelty of the situation smoothed over some of the rough edges. Not something I'd try all the time, but it was fresh enough to keep it in the bag of tricks for sometime in the future.

Added bonus of we actually managed to get through more game and content tonight; I didn't need to abbreviate any of my encounters and we still finished an hour earlier than we often do. Hmmm....

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    And finished L.

The Campesinos Sanitarium- a private insane asylum run by the Campesinos family in northern Harristonia. Euphemistically nicknamed Camp.
    The Seekers of Undying Winter- a group of water genasi that believe the key to unlocking their true potential will be reached by becoming one with the ice.
    The Lost Masters of the Fantastical Arts of Obscurity- a pair of dragonborn harlequin style jesters and mysticists. Primarily serve as travelling entertainers, and rumored to be a front for something more sinister.

edited May 2012
    whoops

Antimatter on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Lady Katherine of the Bush, Banshee Queen

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    actually, no Kate Bush is totally a witch.

and in the game.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    death to grids

Solar wrote: »
    death to grids

god i hate you

deattthhhhhhhh

Grids have their uses. They are nice and useful in wargames. So it really ends up depending on whether you consider D&D a wargame or not.

well

it's an RPG so no

I mean, I love wargames to bits

but they are not RPGs and vice versa

• ZyrelaxZyrelax Registered User regular
    How about Sir Robert De Gel'dov? Originally the frontman for a group of Ratfolk jongleurs, Robert was moved by the plight of the suffering in war-torn lands. From that point on, he dedicated his life to a number of philanthropic projects, and was ultimately knighted for his efforts.

I might want to call dibs on making a successor thread this evening so I can fill it with my campaign setting stuff.

Straightzi wrote: »
    We can do it in the D&D thread

Bullies don't come in there

I'm watching you, nerds.

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I am trying to move away from grids. They can be nice when everyone is engaged and on top of things, but if anyone gets distracted or bored everything slows down to a crawl and stops being fun. Much better to have a more freewheeling or abstracted system. Bonus points if it can get players to spend more time in description, less time in tactics arguments.

To be honest most games I play don't have grids at all

like, EP doesn't have a grid system incorporated, neither does L5R, and those are the games I run the most

generally if necessary I draw a little map with "not to scale" written on it and people just say what the want to do

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I like the way FATE does it. Draw a little map and divide it into general areas. Everyone in the area can melee anyone else in that area. Moving between them is relatively easy. It lets players say "I'm over here, attacking this guy." That's all that we really need.

that seems like a reasonable idea

though the little area thing sounds like the kind of narrative deal that FATE is big on and I don't like

I'd rather have it more simulationist than that.

If only there was a Tron rpg

Solar would love it even though combat would have to be on a Grid

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    One day the simulationists and the narrativists will wage war

The simulationists will wound many with their realistic weapons but then the narrativists will declare that they have won, and that will be that

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.