As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prime] Girls' Meetup: Tickets on sale now

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    What kind of place is this usually at? A bar, a restaurant, someone's house? Will I be singled out if I come in formalwear/clubwear/sleepwear/slutwear? :lol:

Has it ever been a gigantic slumber lan party?

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Last year (and presumably this year), it's at a small restaurant with a bar, we have the whole place to ourselves. I can't imagine you would be singled out for whatever you're wearing, though you will be walking about 10-12 blocks from the convention center through downtown Seattle on a Sunday morning, so you may wish to take that into consideration.

No, no slumber parties that I'm aware of...

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I'm in as of right now! Will update if that changes..

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    alegria wrote: »
    last year I talked to someone about making lampwork glass beads

I think that was me... At least, I was the one with the Angry Birds lampwork.

If you sit by me this year, you'll have to hear about how excited I am to finally have an actual studio in my house now, and enamel and metalworking and etc etc etc

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    last year I talked to someone about making lampwork glass beads

I think that was me... At least, I was the one with the Angry Birds lampwork.

If you sit by me this year, you'll have to hear about how excited I am to finally have an actual studio in my house now, and enamel and metalworking and etc etc etc

Awesome! :) I have picked up knitting and spinning this year, in addition to my quilting. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    kemikal wrote: »
    What kind of place is this usually at? A bar, a restaurant, someone's house? Will I be singled out if I come in formalwear/clubwear/sleepwear/slutwear? :lol:

I showed up last year dressed as a My Little Pony.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    I might end up showing up as Commander Shepard. I also might have to take off bits of the costume to be able to sit nicely >.< depends on the hotel situation lol

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    appletartappletart Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I'll most likely be rocking a TARDIS dress!

• Options
    sleepygeckossleepygeckos Registered User regular
    This will be my first PAX, but this meetup sounds like a blast! Hope I can still walk that far after all the PAXing, but if I can, I'm in if you'll have me!

(You had me at, "...Also, most of the women who attend aren't "traditionally" girly. More like... filthy mouthed drunken sailors who make the boys look like they are heading to high tea.")

• Options
    jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    I don't think I'll make it to this - my friend is having her wedding that day - but I'm glad it's happening again!

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    MEMEMEMEMEME!!!!!

For some reason, my brain decided this as:

MEME!! MEME!! MEME!!

Been on the internet too long.

That is all. ;)

• Options
    BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular

Awesome! :) I have picked up knitting and spinning this year, in addition to my quilting. :)

I spin, but I just can't wrap my head around knitting. I raise beautiful wool sheep, but knitting and weaving just have zero interest level for me. Spinning is something I can do to take my mind off things, knitting and weaving just torque me out and make me want to go spin wrenches on the ol' 'yotas until I get greasy and bloody knuckled again. My hat is off to you on that. Quilting now, that's fun stuff.

I'd like to join in on this, I missed out last year.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    appletart wrote: »
    I'll most likely be rocking a TARDIS dress!

No way!!!! I want to sit next to you!!!!!!!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    More like... filthy mouthed drunken sailors who make the boys look like they are heading to high tea.

Sounds like my kind of shindig!!!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • Options
    GyladiaGyladia Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »

I showed up last year dressed as a My Little Pony.

And a creeper guy made cat noises? I'm remember something vague about a creeper.

• Options
    Awesome! I just heard back from the Diller Room and they are happy to host us again. I'll keep posting more information as I settle on a cost with the owner.

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    I'm in if I'm not on shift :)

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome! I just heard back from the Diller Room and they are happy to host us again. I'll keep posting more information as I settle on a cost with the owner.

Rube question here, but is there a morning bus that runs from the convention center to down there? I'm a bit too gimpy to easily make a 10-12 block walk, especially after stumping around PAX for two days. (I'm also still a little chafed about the whole Public Parking debacle--apparently Public Parking really isn't public, it's private pay for parking, and handicap permits which allow free public parking aren't applicable to the Public Parking parking lots. Who knew?)

• Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Rube question here, but is there a morning bus that runs from the convention center to down there? I'm a bit too gimpy to easily make a 10-12 block walk, especially after stumping around PAX for two days. (I'm also still a little chafed about the whole Public Parking debacle--apparently Public Parking really isn't public, it's private pay for parking, and handicap permits which allow free public parking aren't applicable to the Public Parking parking lots. Who knew?)

Here are the Google directions for walking.
    Here are the Google directions for bus.

This is what I got using the King County Metro Trip Planner, going from Convention Center (800 Convention Place) to Diller Room (1224 1st Avenue) with minimal walking selected.

Note: Bus times may change!

Walk 0.2 mile N from 800 CONVENTION PL to
    Depart: Convention Place Station BAY D At 09:42 AM On Route MT 255 DOWNTOWN SEATTLE
    Arrive: University Street Station BAY D At 09:46 AM
    Walk 0.2 mile SW to 1224 1ST AVE

Depart: Convention Place Station BAY D At 09:38 AM On Route ST 550 BELLEVUE EXPRESS
    Arrive: University Street Station BAY D At 09:42 AM
    Walk 0.2 mile SW to 1224 1ST AVE

Depart: Pine St & 9th Ave At 09:39 AM On Route MT 7 PRENTICE ST
    Arrive: 3rd Ave & Union St At 09:45 AM
    Walk 0.2 mile S to 1224 1ST AVE

Covet on
  • Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    (I'm also still a little chafed about the whole Public Parking debacle--apparently Public Parking really isn't public, it's private pay for parking, and handicap permits which allow free public parking aren't applicable to the Public Parking parking lots. Who knew?)

From what I understand the only thing you can count on handicap permits being good for between states (and sometimes cities) is metered parking and even then the times are all different. They don't work in any of the states I've visited for "lots" other than occasionally getting you closer to the edge in my experience. (A few years ago joined the "OK, my muscles are too trashed - I can't walk that far" group and read the whole packet cover to cover when I got my tag... then I found out the state next to me has crazier rules, but at least they post a lot of signs.)

Thanks for asking the question I had been mulling in my head, you're not the only one! (Now ask how long can I expect to be down for the count after three days of PAXing... I'm wondering if I'll be able to move!)

• Options
    I'll be taxi-ing from next door to PAX as I can't walk far, so if anyone wants to share with me, feel free!

• Options
    Oh, also @sleepygeckos and BagdadBean: do you both know about the medical passes which mean you and a PA can miss the queues if standing for long periods is difficult? Check the PAX FAQs for the email link

• Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I'll be taxi-ing from next door to PAX as I can't walk far, so if anyone wants to share with me, feel free!
    I, too, will be cabbing from Sheraton and environs.

• Options
    Oh, also @sleepygeckos and BagdadBean: do you both know about the medical passes which mean you and a PA can miss the queues if standing for long periods is difficult? Check the PAX FAQs for the email link

I did not know! It is awkward for me as my problems are "invisible" so I get uncomfortable asking for help because I just get funny looks - and really evil looks from the seniors when I park in "their" spots! LOL I may have to join up with one of the cabs when we get closer, you gals are already awesome!

(And remember, don't let someone throw you through sheetrock walls, it isn't good for your long term health, mmmkay?)

• Options

Thanks for bringing that up. I knew about it, but I usually forget how many people haven't heard about it until I'm walking around the show. Chances are high I'd like to split that cab ride with you.

I did not know! It is awkward for me as my problems are "invisible" so I get uncomfortable asking for help because I just get funny looks - and really evil looks from the seniors when I park in "their" spots! LOL I may have to join up with one of the cabs when we get closer, you gals are already awesome!

(And remember, don't let someone throw you through sheetrock walls, it isn't good for your long term health, mmmkay?)

Honestly, it's pretty darn evident to anybody who is halfway observant that I'm walking with aftermarket parts, and I still get glared at by people for parking in the H zone. Some folks are just nasty, and that's the end of it. Don't let them get to you, and do what you have to do to be safe. I've biffed it a few times when I had socket failure, and that convinced me that there was no shame in taking the silly blue space despite what others think.

The email address for registering for a medical pass is: pax_questions@paxsite.com and last year at least, you had to pick them up at will call on Friday morning. The wonderful folks at the info booth are always ready to tell you where to go for one as well.

Washington State allows you to park for free in any metered parking space with a handicapped permit, regardless of what state its from. The trick is that Public Parking is the name of a franchise... so if you see a P in a circle and the words Public Parking, it doesn't actually mean that it's public as in government owned/city sponsored parking. Last year I ended up getting shook down because I had parked before the toll gates in a clearly marked handicapped spot that said Public Parking on it. There was zero indication it was a pay-per-park space. Nobody gave me a voucher or ticket, etc, but when I went to pull out, I got chased down by a bunch of security guys... needless to say, I was more than a little shocked by the situation. While it did end up getting resolved, it took a lot of hassling around and haggling back and forth before they settled on charging me the minimum fee since nobody had given me an entry ticket. The experience left me pretty shaken though. Since then, I've taken to staying at the Marriott Springhill Suites, because they have a free shuttle to the convention center and their parking is pretty cheap.

• Options
    shidoshishidoshi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ahhh, every year it has to be someone.

On a different but similar topic, does the previous ruling for those who are transgender still stand in terms of invitation status?

We're hoping to maybe do a follow-up to our PAX East panel on transgender issues at PAX Prime. While I'd love to come to the Girls' Meetup, I wouldn't given my current situation and how distracting I could potentially be due to that. However, I met a number of awesome transgals at East via our panel, so I'm sure there will be at least some amount of transgender representation at Prime as well.

Since I know there's often a lot of feelings of uncertainty in the trans community (in regards to fitting it), I'd really appreciate it if you could just re-clarify your position on that (for the benefit of newer PAX attendees who may be wondering about this meet up but who might not know the history of it and said position on if they're welcome or not).

shidoshi on
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    shidoshi wrote: »

On a different but similar topic, does the previous ruling for those who are transgender still stand in terms of invitation status?

We're hoping to maybe do a follow-up to our PAX East panel on transgender issues at PAX Prime. While I'd love to come to the Girls' Meetup, I wouldn't given my current situation and how distracting I could potentially be due to that. However, I met a number of awesome transgals at East via our panel, so I'm sure there will be at least some amount of transgender representation at Prime as well.

Since I know there's often a lot of feelings of uncertainty in the trans community (in regards to fitting it), I'd really appreciate it if you could just re-clarify your position on that (for the benefit of newer PAX attendees who may be wondering about this meet up but who might not know the history of it and said position on if they're welcome or not).

We're a welcoming group and I don't think any woman who identifies as female would be excluded from the meet-up.
    I hope you do get to do a panel at Prime, because it's important to keep conversations about inclusion active. After all the talk this past year about communities finally waking up to the abuse the majority of women get online, I can't imagine anyone here would want to be exclusive to another group.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    shidoshishidoshi Registered User regular
    Enigmas wrote: »
    I hope you do get to do a panel at Prime, because it's important to keep conversations about inclusion active. After all the talk this past year about communities finally waking up to the abuse the majority of women get online, I can't imagine anyone here would want to be exclusive to another group.

Not to momentarily get off on a tangent, but one of the panels I made a point of going to at East was "noodz or GTFO", and even though I was still very familiar with the conversation that went on at that panel, I still found myself really affected by it when I walked out. I've talked/written a lot about inclusiveness in the games community, and I had sometimes wondered if maybe I did so too often. Talking to people after our panel, and going to see that panel, I now think I should be doing it more, not less. *laughs* It's just so utterly frustrating (not to mention heartbreaking) the treatment certain segments still get in the community, and how many people still don't understand how important of an issue that is.

Anyhow, sorry for the side thought there.

• Options
    PAX has been the most inclusive thing I've ever been to in my entire life, it's one of the reasons I come back.

My first PAX I ended up in bits the week before, totally panicked about how gamers would treat a disabled woman old enough to be most of their mum's. I was really scared about coming. I couldn't have been more wrong, I met a bunch of awesome people. At East I was the O (for old) at the LGBTTOF meet up, and had an absolute blast!

I wouldn't want to come to PAX if it wasn't inclusive. I don't know what the past rule has been as I've only been to one women's breakfast at PAX, but as far as I'm concerned, if you perceive yourself as a woman, that's good enough for me, sit by me if you don't mind wrinkles!

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ...but as far as I'm concerned, if you perceive yourself as a woman, that's good enough for me, sit by me if you don't mind wrinkles!
    Or if you just want to admire that ever-so-awesome accent of hers or hear about stories from the other side of the pond!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options

We're a welcoming group and I don't think any woman who identifies as female would be excluded from the meet-up.

Boys in skirts aren't welcome. Ladies who happen to have nonstandard equipment under their skirts are perfectly welcome and I'd love to meet you. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    KatieK22KatieK22 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User new member
    Covet wrote: »

Here are the Google directions for walking.
    Here are the Google directions for bus.

I'm a frequent downtown Seattle bus-rider, and I wanted to warn you that Google's instructions for Seattle's bus service can be pretty dodgey sometimes. I prefer the Metro's trip planner (http://metro.kingcounty.gov/ridertools/) (better) or OneBusAway (http://www.onebusaway.org/ - and super mobile phone apps) (best).

Protip: If you're walking uphill from 1st, try to use Pike - it's a much more gradual incline than the further south streets.

But another great option, especially if it's a nice day, is to take a pedicab - an electrically assisted bicycler towing a 2- (3- if you're friendly) person seat. We took one around for a friend's birthday barhop, and they're often around for the local sportsball events. Pedicabs are probably a little cheaper and faster than a big yellow car, and they are wayyyy more fun!

(I signed up just so I could watch this thread and answer this question!)

• Options
    KatieK22 wrote: »

I'm a frequent downtown Seattle bus-rider, and I wanted to warn you that Google's instructions for Seattle's bus service can be pretty dodgey sometimes. I prefer the Metro's trip planner (http://metro.kingcounty.gov/ridertools/) (better) or OneBusAway (http://www.onebusaway.org/ - and super mobile phone apps) (best).

Protip: If you're walking uphill from 1st, try to use Pike - it's a much more gradual incline than the further south streets.

But another great option, especially if it's a nice day, is to take a pedicab - an electrically assisted bicycler towing a 2- (3- if you're friendly) person seat. We took one around for a friend's birthday barhop, and they're often around for the local sportsball events. Pedicabs are probably a little cheaper and faster than a big yellow car, and they are wayyyy more fun!

(I signed up just so I could watch this thread and answer this question!)

Thank you, KatieK22! I've encountered Google fail with Seattle before, which was probably why I didn't think to check it in the first place. It's immensely helpful to hear of better apps, and the personal experience is best of all. Cool to know that Seattle has pedicabs too, I haven't seen anything like those since Thailand's tuk-tuks.

Ladies who happen to have nonstandard equipment under their skirts are perfectly welcome and I'd love to meet you. :)

This, 100%.

• Options
    Ladies who happen to have nonstandard equipment under their skirts are perfectly welcome and I'd love to meet you. :)

This, 100%.

This is why I love PAX people so much. You make my heart explode with joy!

• Options
    edited May 2012

Boys in skirts aren't welcome. Ladies who happen to have nonstandard equipment under their skirts are perfectly welcome and I'd love to meet you. :)

^ This.

I've always held that this is a girls meetup, not a cisfemale meetup and anyone who disagrees is welcome to piss right off.

EruditeAphrodite on
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    We take ALL THE GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is it weird to say that I <3 all of you ladies and I haven't even met you yet?

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    Nope, not weird at all, I think that, too. PAX people are just the best in the world!

• Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So.... We're only on page two... Is it too soon to have the requisite Bellini vs Mimosa debate????
    Obviously Mimosas are the clear winners.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
This discussion has been closed.