As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation and Game

WaldFliegerWaldFlieger Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hi! I have two things I think I can offer up for critique. My latest animation and game.

Without further ado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb07yVilJow

and

Bounce or Die

(can't seem to embed the game, let me know if there's a way to embed Flash files on here)

WaldFlieger on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I don't really do flash games, so I can't comment there, but the animation was fantastic. The movements were very fluid, the humor was good (I like the fact that confirmation bias was repeatedly used, it made me laugh, it's a funny phrase) and the speech animations were WAY better than other stuff I've seen.

Are you shopping this around for a webseries somewhere? It's very high quality work.

Two questions

1) Did you make everything yourself, including the voice acting, or did you bring in friends/voice actors?

2) What software did you use to animate?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Hey, thanks a lot! I was actually wondering what the possibilities are, as far as shopping it around as a webseries. Are there other channels out there like PATV? I was considering even sending this to PATV, but I'm not sure if the length or content fits the brand.

1) All the animation and art was done by me. My brother wrote the theme song and I brought in voice actors for the voices.
    2) I used Flash to make it, but animated every movement frame by frame. So nothing was automated.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Follow up question. How long did it take you to do 2.32 minutes frame by frame?

• Options
    Well, the actual animation doesn't last an entire 2:32, since there's a long bed of credits and links at the end. I think it came out to more like 1:30 or something of actual animation. That said, I do keep meticulous time logs of the exact amount of time spent animating (and not breaks or anything like that), and this one took 89 hours. A good portion of that was actually making the character objects I manipulated, so the next animation will automatically be shorter because of that. But it was also a learning process, and I'm getting more efficient as I go. So the next one will maybe take 2/3 the time this one took.

• Options
    That's awesome dude. It looks really crisp. Were you self taught or did you take classes in college for it ? If self taught, do you have any good resources you could share with us?

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I am really enjoying the flash game, it's fun, i like the graphics in it 8bit pixels is best

• Options
    That's awesome dude. It looks really crisp. Were you self taught or did you take classes in college for it ? If self taught, do you have any good resources you could share with us?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm actually majoring in 2D animation. But I'd recommend learning about the 12 principles of animation and the differences between keyframe, breakdown, and in-between drawings. People really swear by The Animator's Survival Kit, but I find it to be convoluted. The classes I've taken really pared down the information in a more logical order that better facilitates learning, I think.

What I started with is learning the principle of "Ease in/ Ease out". That's a good place to start. It'll help with all the other principles. Then probably overlapping action and secondary action. And then anticipation. And then the rest. I guess it's really about what you get excited about trying to apply and then following that until you've got it pretty much down and want to tackle another principle. I think if you try to take them on all at once you'll just get confused.

The differences between keyframe, breakdown, and in-between drawings is what's really helping me start making the process go faster because it lets you plan it all out, letting you do far less tweaking and pretty much eliminating wasted time animating something and then having to redo it.
    miaAusa wrote: »
    I am really enjoying the flash game, it's fun, i like the graphics in it 8bit pixels is best

Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    Cool, thanks for the link. Also if you ever have a project lined up that might get released or bought one day, I'll voice act for next to nothing if you need a REALLY southern accent. I want IMDB credit so I can brag about it when I'm 35.

• Options
    Haha OK I'll keep that in mind!