As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free (At Least Initially) MMO Uberlist V2

• mistergokumistergoku Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    WHY wrote:
    I know just about everyone already plays it but shouldn't the 10-Day Free WoW trial be on the list?

no..you pay for that "10 Day Free trial" with your immortal soul :shock:
    Also: last I checked it was one of those retarded "we need your credit card!" trials.

I should probably note that DAoC is also a "CC required" trial.

mistergoku on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I just got an E-Mail the other day saying the DDO trial accounts had been reactivated.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I just got an E-Mail the other day saying the DDO trial accounts had been reactivated.

Cool, you can play the entire game during your trial. :lol:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Master ComputerMaster Computer Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    How much is to be downloaded after the 10meg planetside installer?

Master Computer on
    1113904359102_17629_056.gif
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!

Anarchy Online's free now? That's a GREAT MMO!

Dangerou-Dave on
  • DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!

It's been free for well over a year now. Of course, only the base game is free. Once you decide to get the expansions, you go back to paying a monthly fee.

DarkDragoon on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    WHAT THE FUCK?!!!!

I really didn't like it when I had tried it.

Henroid on
  • Iz-GOodIz-GOod Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    BOTS
    Country of Origin:Somewhere in Asia
    Genre:Robot Arena Fighting MMO
    Setting:Sci-fi
    Price:Free with in-game ads (Open Beta)
    Notes: Acclaim has sarted a North American open beta for this game. The ads show up for about 5 seconds right before a round starts. After about 30 minutes of play, I can say that the game has potential, but not very compelling gameplay at the moment. It's sort of like a beat-em-up. Client is about 350MB.

Iz-GOod on
    Spizler wrote:
    Also, those green squares can go to hell, along with the tiny purple triangles that like to spawn right next to me while I'm trying to evade a horde of those pink splitters.
    TekkenUserBarIz-GOod.jpg
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    After playing a bit if Priston Tale, I'll tell you right now that your biggest enemy is going to be the camera. It's incredibly difficult to get a good field of vision without micromanaging the manual cam. Past that, it's basically Tanks train + Ranged DPS or AOE nukes, blah blah blah, level up.

Loot is FFA and just spills out onto the ground, so good luck getting any rare drops in a crowded zone. When you "auto attack" your character is glued to the enemy and you can't highlight and pick up items. The only way to do so is to try to click on the ground and get your character to break the attack. I ran around a very high level zone just stealing other players' loot to sell to vendors and there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Nothing really compelling, just mindless grinding.

zanetheinsane on
  • TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    If anyone plays Maple Story, I've been playing it on the Khalia server. The grind is kinda boring but I mix it up by doing some quests while grinding. I also paid $3 to some website in exhange for $1 million in game... that's more that I could make playing the game at my level in like 200 hours so if your'e new and dont have a lot of free time that's an option that will let you get the best equipment for your level and thus help you through the grind a bit.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    About Rakion (from Softnyx) - Am I missing something? Gameplay is very simplistic and repetitive, though it looks pretty nice. Is there some other gameplay mode or map than the golden sword/golem one? Also, I might have made a mistake in making my first character an archer, since there are no combos or charge-ups available with the bow.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Iz-GOod wrote:
    BOTS
    Country of Origin:Somewhere in Asia
    Genre:Robot Arena Fighting MMO
    Setting:Sci-fi
    Price:Free with in-game ads (Open Beta)
    Notes: Acclaim has sarted a North American open beta for this game. The ads show up for about 5 seconds right before a round starts. After about 30 minutes of play, I can say that the game has potential, but not very compelling gameplay at the moment. It's sort of like a beat-em-up. Client is about 350MB.
    I found it kind of boring. I love beat em ups, but when you have ten guys fighting five enemies, its not that fun. Now if they had huge mobs of enemies that fill up the entire screen, that would be another story.

BiggNife on
  • IchnobIchnob Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Trickster Online + Wiki
    Country of Origin: Korea
    Genre: MMORPG
    Setting: Fantasy
    Price: Free (beta) with "myshop" options (a-la Gunbound)
    Notes: 2D Sprites, Isometric view. Think of Ragnarok Online graphics but with better detailed backgrounds. Click once to attack enemies, so it's not a clickfest. Leveling includes grinding, quests, and excavation (get a drill, dig around the field maps, get exp and items). Includes pet system that gives stat bonuses only. Still early beta. Put in a few hours, and it's harmless fun so far. If you dislike bright colors and cutesy-animated graphics, stay away.

Ichnob on
  • ScikarScikar Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Navy Field is now free again for the next year, though after level 30 you get a 40% exp penalty. If you pay the $8/month there are no exp penalties, $12/month premium earns you 1k bonus exp, credits and points after each battle. Sailor boosts and premium ships are also available for one-off payments.

Another to add:

World War II Online
    Region: Europe and US
    Genre: Realistic WW2 sim/mmo, think Operation Flashpoint meets Planetside in WW2 and MMO.
    Setting: Dynamic campaign starts at the beginning of the Blitzkrieg with Germany poised to invade France.
    Price: 14 days free trial, then $20 for the game and 30 days free, then $15/month (works out just over $8/month with the longest term payment). Note that a credit card is required to sign up for the free trial.
    Notes: If you think CoD and DoD are laughably unrealistic, even Red Orchestra doesn't do enough, and Planetside would have been perfect with Tiger tanks and Spitfires, this is the game for you. New graphics updates are promised in the next version but currently it looks very dated, if you like to marvel at the wonders of Shader Model 3.0 and HDR rendering this is not the game for you.

Scikar on
    ScikarSig2.png
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Ichnob wrote:
    Trickster Online + Wiki
    Country of Origin: Korea
    Genre: MMORPG
    Setting: Fantasy
    Price: Free (beta) with "myshop" options (a-la Gunbound)
    Notes: 2D Sprites, Isometric view. Think of Ragnarok Online graphics but with better detailed backgrounds. Click once to attack enemies, so it's not a clickfest. Leveling includes grinding, quests, and excavation (get a drill, dig around the field maps, get exp and items). Includes pet system that gives stat bonuses only. Still early beta. Put in a few hours, and it's harmless fun so far. If you dislike bright colors and cutesy-animated graphics, stay away.
    Edit: Now its working...
    Fixed the link too.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • IdoruIdoru Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I use to play Odyssey Online. It was very campy, felt like NES Zelda only multiplayer and slightly sharper graphics stolen from other RPGs. The game was written by some kid in High School.

I had a blast when there were a lot of users.

Idoru on
    "We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far…" -H.P. Lovecraft
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So I've started playing planetscape, is it always this chaotic?
    Eh probably won't play pas he trial.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • KimikoKimiko Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    azurice wrote:
    The Tommy wrote:
    Blark wrote:
    Has anyone tried Albatross 18 yet? It's some cool golf MMO from what appears to be Korea. I have yet to play it but from what I can tell it looks pretty nifty, sorta reminds me of Hot Shots.

It's damn fine. Seriously, get it. Very nice and arcadey, but still with some sim elements.

I've only been playing it for like, an hour. But it's already very good. Though I've never played a non-RPG MMO before. :D

This game is totally hawt. I reccomend it to anyone. ANYONE. Ingame name there is Barbako.

Kimiko on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    I've been playing Puzzle Pirates for a while, and I can bet my trenchcoat that it is one of the most well-managed game. Unlike pretty much all other MMOPRGs, the GMs (known as OceanMasters in-game) actually do respond to complaints against players and other things. If you want to take a break from the stuck-up-pro infested MMOs, this is for you.

Also, players take a BIG place in this place, since the islands, ships, economy are all dependant on the players. Even events can be oraganized by players (provided you're wealthy enough). The only drawback is that playing this for too long makes you feel the drag; but hey, it's supposed to be taken in light doses.

And your brain cells will actually INCREASE while you play this, too. :D

Unknown User on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Huh. I'd recommend putting GraalOnline on that list, but the game's been COMPLETELY overrun by children nowadays. Plus, graphically the game completely ripped off Zelda's "A Link to the Past" game. In fact before it went P2P (For a VIP account) it was called Zelda Online or something. Still, if you don't mind the immature community it's a great game to play. Especially since players can create and host custom servers with their own graphics and rules.

Archonex on
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Huh. I'd recommend putting GraalOnline on that list, but the game's been COMPLETELY overrun by children nowadays. Plus, graphically the game completely ripped off Zelda's "A Link to the Past" game. In fact before it went P2P (For a VIP account) it was called Zelda Online or something. Still, if you don't mind the immature community it's a great game to play. Especially since players can create and host custom servers with their own graphics and rules.
    Don't you have to pay a one-time fee to play normally nowadays? I think it dosen't save the items and such you get otherwise.

And Graal has been overrun with children since FOREVER.

I used to enjoy Graal before it required payment. There was one playerworld that had a really fun PvP room.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Teirusu wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Don't you have to pay a one-time fee to play normally nowadays? I think it dosen't save the items and such you get otherwise.

And Graal has been overrun with children since FOREVER.

I used to enjoy Graal before it required payment. There was one playerworld that had a really fun PvP room.

All of the Classic player-hosted servers are free, you just can't keep items/upgrades you get during your login period. But, unless you're on a "hardcore" PVP server that really doesn't matter. During my stay there i've seen free players take down players with maxed hearts and sword damage. It's a matter of skill, really.

Also, there were a couple servers that originally didn't take well to children, like Valikorlia (The RP server.), but they've been completely overrun to the point where the player management is probably under the age of eighteen at this point.

Archonex on
  • weizurweizur Registered User new member
    edited August 2006
    Got a new game for you

Starport
    Country of Origin:US
    Genre:Sci Fi MMO
    Setting:Space and the Future!
    Price:Free, optional in game currency can be bought
    Notes: Fairly fun MMO that is free to play, they have a decent community and multiple servers. They have permanent servers and also servers that reset semifrequently ( like weekly or so ). You can start a corporation and take over planets to start your own empire. Similar aspects to trade wars and others.

weizur on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I hadn't played navy field since the beta, holy damn is it great now. do we have any other regular players? better yet a squad? (PM me)

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, looks like Guild Wars is starting up with micropayments, or at least something like them...
    PvP Unlock Packs Now Available
    Guild Wars players now have the opportunity to purchase PVP Unlock Packs for all Prophecies skills! For $9.99 USD (€8.99, £5.99), you can unlock all of the 70+ Prophecies skills for a single profession. For $39.99 USD (€35.99, £23.99) you can unlock all 450+ Prophecies skills for the 6 professions. Once unlocked, skills can be used by any of your PvP characters. Head to the Guild Wars Official Store to take advantage of this much-requested opportunity .

And if you maxed out the number of characters, you can buy new character slots for ten bucks a pop, too.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fleck0 wrote:
    I hadn't played navy field since the beta, holy damn is it great now. do we have any other regular players? better yet a squad? (PM me)

Have they removed the insurmountable post-destroyer grind?

Garthor on
    edited September 2006
    I tried Hyper Relay before and I can't believe I actually wasted 30 minutes of my life download and trying it. It's rubbish, seriously- if you want minigames you're better off playing Four Second Frenzy. At least it's a WELL MADE timewaster.

Unknown User on
  • t0bart0bar Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory Wiki
    Genre:FPS
    Setting:World War 2
    Price:Free
    Notes: I'm not even going to try and lie about the people that play this game. They are bad! If you have ever played cs or quake you will rape their faces. I play just because my buddys do and they make me. But when I saw like 2 FPS on the list I had to say something about ET.

t0bar on
    daftpunksig.jpg
  • grogangrogan Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    Idoru wrote:
    I use to play Odyssey Online. It was very campy, felt like NES Zelda only multiplayer and slightly sharper graphics stolen from other RPGs. The game was written by some kid in High School.

haha, wow, That brings back memories. I actually did alot of the sounds for that game, and some of the original character art. When we were testing, the programmer let us make our own character avatars (which were the barbarian sets with different sprites) as F_heads and VM's (our recruits which were the same but pink).

The death sound that the monsters would make, I recorded with a pasta drainer, covered with felt and a big soup pot with the mike dangling inside of it.

grogan on
  • EartaiEartai Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    t0bar wrote:
    Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory Wiki
    Genre:FPS
    Setting:World War 2
    Price:Free
    Notes: I'm not even going to try and lie about the people that play this game. They are bad! If you have ever played cs or quake you will rape their faces. I play just because my buddys do and they make me. But when I saw like 2 FPS on the list I had to say something about ET.

Not a MMO. Also, there are good people, but you probably wont find them pubbing. Same with any FPS.

Eartai on
    Lets spaek. Risten and repeat as sentence!
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    AnimaRO, a Ragnarok Online client, is free and it's pretty boss too. Korean RPGs for the win.

http://www.animaro.com/

Drunk_caterpillar on
    edited September 2006
    SubSpace / Continuum Wiki
    Country of origin: US
    Genre: Space Ship Fighter
    Setting: Space
    Price: Free
    Notes: It's an incredibly fun and addictive game. Choose from 8 different ships with different abilities which might vary from server to server. The servers are all pretty different but the most populous server, Trench Wars, has a "capture and hold the base" as its main thing. Besides that they are tons of different games headed by the mods which are really fun. It has a very dedicated fan following so always expect to see others on. I can't recommend this game enough. One of the best free games you can find out there.

Unknown User on
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    AnimaRO, a Ragnarok Online client, is free and it's pretty boss too. Korean RPGs for the win.

http://www.animaro.com/

Yes. I play that server. PM Atrelegis in-game for the meeting of the myself.

Mitsuhide on
  • kupokupo regular
    edited December 2006
    Maple Story is kinda fun. Who doesn't love killing snails? I'm about 3 hours into it now. Playing on the Windia server. My character is Koin0p if anyone wants to find me and, I don't know, trade something or other. For some reason I seem to be collecting a lot of red miniskirts...as a male character... :shock:

kupo on
  • dizzyshkdizzyshk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    this game is like king of 2d pixels!

www.tricksteronline.com

dizzyshk on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You..skipped over Granado Espada. It's in Beta test right now and is totally free.

Wtf man.

www.ge.iahgames.com

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anybody else have trouble loading guns? It'll get up into the 90's(%) and then...it just stops.

Gorilla Salad on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    weizur wrote:
    Got a new game for you

Starport
    Genre:Sci Fi MMO
    Setting:Space and the Future!
    Price:Free, optional in game currency can be bought
    Notes: Fairly fun MMO that is free to play, they have a decent community and multiple servers. They have permanent servers and also servers that reset semifrequently ( like weekly or so ). You can start a corporation and take over planets to start your own empire. Similar aspects to trade wars and others.

Whoa, I remember this game! I used to play it 4 years ago!
    Idoru wrote:

Heh, me too. For the longest time I ran a user server after it went down. I still have the server software and client too. I even put the original website back up with a client and server to download. I can't find it though. I even had the source code to the game at one time. I can't find it either.

rayofash on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, hey, what an interesting thread.

Accualt on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    You know, I was just earlier thinking about asking to have this thread moved into the accumulated knowledge forum with its sister thread free games.
    But this works too!

Morkath on