As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Bugs or balance issues? I don't remember many major bugs lasting for as long as some of the CoH ones did.

I remember a major sticking point in DoW2 and CR was that Microsoft had to vet the code patches (but not the data patches, I think?) as well, which slowed down patching a bit. We don't know yet if CoH2 will have anything beyond Steam involved do we?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The Lictor's flesh hook ability was bugged for quite a while, there was some retreat bug, the details of which escape me, that persisted for a long time, and I think there are other things that I can't remember because I never got really deep into DoW 2.

• Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    I wonder if they're going to fix the cover AI.

At top-level play much of the game revolves around blind luck from infantry jumping in front of machine gun fire and getting the entire squad suppressed.

signaturep.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So, I let CoH download whatever the hell it wanted for the base game last night, installed Tales of Valor and Opposing Fronts too, and actually managed to play the game for about 20 minutes this afternoon!

Now, a few minutes ago, I tried to fire it up again and it refuses to launch. "Preparing to launch Company of Heroes...", then nothing. So I try to verify cache integrity again, and it says 15 files failed to validate and need to be re-acquired. Now it appears to be downloading Opposing Fronts all over again.

:/

• CroakCroak Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Relic...assume I bought a copy already. Now Croak, where is my Homeworld 3!

Your what?

:)

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I tried Eastern Front, and the main problem with Russians is that their anti tank guns are a lot worse than recoiless rifles the paratroopers get. Their starting units also suck, which while historically accurate, does not help when the only potent strategy is to build a fuck ton of them. While yes this does reflect the war, they would need a better economy to balance it out. Easy fix? Make Strelky more effective and Guard's and naval soldier's anti tank guns as good or better than American recoiless rifles, or let us use Molotovs to do what they were made for, immobilizing and fucking up tank engines.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Aaaaaand now it's downloading the base game again too.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    I've tried to get games through the PA COH group but not a lot of luck yet, I'm still on every day ready to get a match in! Hell_Rell on STEAM.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    You're such a tease...frog

meh there was a whole bunch of us doing COH via vent at one point....but they're playing DOTA 2 and awaiting Diablo 3. Wrong time triiiple

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    They also tended to break a ton of shit with each patch. There were several game-breaking bugs introduced in a particular patch that caused many people to quit the game because these bugs were not fixed for months.

Yeah the bug you are talking about there is the one I mentioned above: The defensive doctrine defensive artillery bug, which let you continually rain down artillery on your listening posts as long as you had the ammunition to keep spamming it. Made beating anyone with defensive doctrine basically impossible.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    I really hope they dont add hero units or anything like that in CoH2. Im happy with some new units, updated graphics and a new campaign but dont touch the gameplay mechanics!

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Why not a simplified DOW1 system of chaining lieutenants, commissars (Russia remember?)and other units?

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Croak wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Relic...assume I bought a copy already. Now Croak, where is my Homeworld 3!

Your what?

:)

Oh hey, you're still around. :)

You involved with CoH 2, or are you doing other projects?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why not a simplified DOW1 system of chaining lieutenants, commissars (Russia remember?)and other units?

Because Soviet political officers =/= Warhammer Commissars?

I'm actually not a Warhammer 40K expert in the least, so I'll outline what actual commissars did in real life--they were members of the Soviet Union's cabinet before the Second World War II. Now, actual political officers, whom might appear in the game? Depending on the year, they wrote letters and proofread them for less literate soldiers, acted as improvised psychologists, interpreted orders as XOs (though this was particularly controversial at times), and acted as commanders only in the event that the actual CO was missing or incapacitated (on the company level). They were also supposed to provide "ideological education"--Marxism, internationalism, combating anti-Semitism. A lot of that became less common after German issued the Commissar Order and started killing all of them. After that, there were a lot fewer political officers...everywhere.

Brezhnev_1942.jpg
    Real Life Political Officer (Leon Brezhnev before the War, he went on to become General Secretary way later)

CiaphasCain.jpg
    Imperial Commissar from Warhammer 40K. Much cooler, no?

I wouldn't point this out, except that Relic has been pretty good about committing to the setting, even mechanically, in CoH thusfar, and CoH2 seems to want to immerse itself into the setting (we'll see if they succeed) and this would be a pretty big setting-breaking thing for the most part.

[/the more you know]

Synthesis on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Units that infiltrate literally just go invisible.

'setting-breaking' is a relative term

:P

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited May 2012
    Hey.

Hey.

Translucent.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2012
    Holy shit, that's not what I meant at fucking all. The last time I talked about Commisars in the RO2 thread, yes. This however, not at all.

Why not use them as Lieutenants as the British do in CoH1? Or just call them Russian for lieutenant or some shit. I never said give them an execute ability. Just some unit to give some buffs or a minor resistance to suppression or something.

Kadoken on
    Actually, I thought you meant the whole command-type unit thing. Which they weren't (except for in the rare circumstances I mentioned above).

Since we don't really seem much in the way of the logistic and background management in CoH, there's not a lot for them to do in a plausible setting.

Also, some officers did kill their troops in WW2 for retreating on the Soviet side. At the end of the war, the Soviets killed their own imprisoned men for becoming PoW's.

edited May 2012
    Also, some officers did kill their troops in WW2 for retreating on the Soviet side. At the end of the war, the Soviets killed their own imprisoned men for becoming PoW's.

Actually, what you're mentioning was not unique to the Soviets. More unique to them were the penal battalions (which were quite infamous, of course, were also numerically very rare--tens of thousands of men in a combined force of about ten million standing men, and more than thirty million men total).

There is a difference between shooting shooting men for deliberate dissertion versus shooting them for retreating out of instinct. The French, Italian, and German Armies made extensive use of the former as well (Omer Bartov's Hitler's Army does a good comparison of how disturbingly commonplace it was in second world war Germany versus first world war Germany--in some military units, the rate of executing men was tens or even hundreds of times higher than it had been in the Imperial Germany).

Also, Richard Overy's Russia's War covers the subject of POW repatriation well--with the exception of men taken from groups like the Russian Liberation Army (or SS divisions) who started out as POWs in Germany, and were sometimes executed immediately, the chances of being reimprisoned for a failure of duty after being liberated were about 5 to 10%, with some variation for circumstance and period. Within those, some (though not all) did in fact die in captivity. Which is still tragically high, all things considered, though it was unfortunately buried underneath the fact that several million POWs had already died in German captivity before the war ended, and extreme suspicion was common for anyone who survived that situation. It also paled in comparison with the number of (largely innocent) people who were arrested (and in turn, died in prison) during the Terror of the late 30s, which was much more significant.

For example--the rates of German POWs dying in Soviet captivity? Way higher than those liberated Soviet POWs unlucky enough to end up imprisoned, who then died in Soviet captivity. The exception would be when certain ethnic groups were targeted by the state as having been in cahoots with the Germans (there were a few cases where this was true, like with certain Cossack groups, but it was mostly political punishment for perceived, rather than real, treason). And both groups, in turn, had mortality rates way lower than Soviet POWs (across ethnic lines) who died in German captivity (either in early war camps or concentration camps).

Unless CoH pulls a Men at War and releases a penal battalion expansion, this is probably largely irrelevant anyway, though.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Hey.

Hey.

Translucent.

A bit like those anti-tank weapons.

"Sure we'll hide this... enormous gun".

subedii on
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Relic plans to reveal previews of the game to the press next week:
    Yes, Company of Heroes 2 is happening. We’ve even seen it! Adam went out to Relic and talked to the lovely folks who are making it. It’s set on the Eastern Front, and it has a lot of snow. We should have an in-depth preview, in addition to interviews with the team, for your persual early next week. All will be revealed. It’s going to be splendid.

465257_414036608627338_121191071245228_1248411_1600639066_o.jpg

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forums/company-of-heroes-2-discussion/topics/Preparing-to-show-the-worlds-press-CoH2
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/11/company-of-heroes-2-is-happening-weve-seen-it/

The latest PC Action issue has revealed more information as well:
    - 110 people working on COH2

- The right use of the dynamic game environment is important, not the amount of troops

- Campaign takes place from 22. June 1941 until Berlin 1945

- HDR Light, SSAO, new water renderer

- BUT they also promise better performance for all PC Systems than in vCOH and Addons

- The weather is extremly realistic. Snow gathers on static objects and gets blown away by explosions

-Snow is not a texture but has deep, so infanterists move very slowly in deep snow (with nice animations). Its easier on the street but the enemy knows that too...

- Flame throwers can destroy a house completly. It will slowly burn down until it can't be used anymore

- The AI in the campaign is now not scripted anymore, they use the same AI as in skirmish mode, which makes it much more interesting

- Retreat means death in the campaign (but don't know if scripted or not)

- The recoil when the T-34 shoots even affects the environmental physics.

- They want the coop mode to be really big, because a high amount of players prefered to play with other players against the AI

- German troops stand out with their advanced technology compared with the russians, upgrades and tactical use of special abilities are more important for the Wehrmacht than for the Soviets

- The Russians rely on mass but class and like to use brute force. They got many powerful tanks.

- The developers don't want to tell us yet if tanks can break through ice but they said: "Dont underestimate General snow and General mud!"

- You are able to steal the enemies vehicles

- Base building will stay in game (there was a discussion in another Thread)

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forums/company-of-heroes-2-discussion/topics/Tons-of-Infos-and-Pictures-in-the-German-PC-ACTION

Prisca on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Stealing enemy vehicles? Wow, that's pretty big.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    So, if I press 'X' will a commisar spawn instantly and shoot everyone in the face?

Because that would be rad.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Order 227 was not exactly widely followed, but Relic seems to be taking the hollywood road here.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The requirement for Armies to maintain companies of barrier troops was withdrawn after just three months, on October 29, 1942. Intended to galvanise the morale of the hard-pressed Soviet Army and emphasise patriotism, it had a generally detrimental effect and was not consistently implemented by commanders who viewed diverting troops to create barrier units as a waste of manpower, so by October 1942 the idea of regular blocking units was quietly dropped. By 20 November 1944 the blocking units were officially disbanded.

At least they got the technology somewhat right. When it came to most anything but tanks the Germans were ahead.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    They don't even have an MG unit in Eastern Front mod.

Also, Co-op campaign? Hawt!

Co-op is a big plus for me.

Nice info. @prisca!

Nice info. @prisca!

Hey Triple, I might compstomp with you more if you downloaded Eastern Front so I can play as Russians.

Doesn't that just say co-op mode, not campaign? I'm suspecting something more along the lines of a structured comp-stomp. Then again, DoW 2 had a co-op campaign as well, so it's a pretty big possibility regardless I guess.

Interesting to see that co-op was big even in CoH, I remember that even with DoW 2 the devs mentioned it had been a pretty big hit when they introduced things like Last Stand.

Nice info. @prisca!

Hey Triple, I might compstomp with you more if you downloaded Eastern Front so I can play as Russians.

Where do i download Eastern Fronts? How much does it change the game? Are you still able to use other factions?

edited May 2012

Nice info. @prisca!

Where do i download Eastern Fronts? How much does it change the game? Are you still able to use other factions?

All it does is add the Russian faction and some eastern front maps, like Leningrad, or Moscow. It doesn't change the other factions, you can still play as them. They've got an official site. http://www.easternfront.org/

Kadoken on
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    i still download a lot of replays for opposing fronts.

it's so cool how one team can win after being 4 points away from defeat.

edited May 2012
    Zxerol wrote: »
    So, if I press 'X' will a commisar spawn instantly and shoot everyone in the face?

Because that would be rad.

To quote Futurama, prepare to be disappointed...

Nice info. @prisca!

All it does is add the Russian faction and some eastern front maps, like Leningrad, or Moscow. It doesn't change the other factions, you can still play as them. They've got an official site. http://www.easternfront.org/

Yeah, it's a pretty professional mod (complete with voice pack), and it doesn't effect the base game--it runs as a separate application.

Men At War took an approach like this in certain campaigns early on, from what I remembered. I assume it'll be more streamlined, with a kind of specialized unit. It'll be interesting to see where they go with this--it should be noted that there is some precedence for this, sort of: the Red Army used captured Panthers (in very small numbers), and the Germans captured T-34s in the early war.

Synthesis on
    Its nice that they bothered to add Russian, when the Modern Combat mod didn't add Chinese to the Chinese soldiers.

(Modern Combat is still a damn good mod though.)

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Men At War took an approach like this in certain campaigns early on, from what I remembered. I assume it'll be more streamlined, with a kind of specialized unit. It'll be interesting to see where they go with this--it should be noted that there is some precedence for this, sort of: the Red Army used captured Panthers (in very small numbers), and the Germans captured T-34s in the early war.

If they're going to do it for Multiplayer I hope they do it right. This has a high potential for derpiness. Yeah it's a game, but it's a WW2 game. There needs to be at least some effort in creating suspension of disbelief.

- BUT they also promise better performance for all PC Systems than in vCOH and Addons

Believe_It = See_It(When_I);

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Concept art from the press event:

post-95095-1337424037.jpg
    The badge worn is that of the Russian Liberation Army. So Ost-truppen essentially. Probably about the same level in terms of quality as Volksgrenadiers, only difference is they were equipped with Soviet gear, so PPSH41s and Mosin Nagants. Not sure how they will work though as such. Perhaps a doctrinal unit. Perhaps the first infantry for the wehrmacht

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?266510-Company-of-Heroes-2-Confirmed-in-PC-Gamer/page5&s=7f530e18bb46c5e007c5c972ab4c757c

Prisca on
    What about conscripts?

Also, finished the OF single player campaigns.
    Brits- shit
    Panzer Elite- Fantastic.

I'm trying to get back into M&B, but I would happily try to do compstomps or competitive matches. Preferably with the Eastern Front mod to get into the soviet COH2 mood.

Hmm, what is that mod team going to make for CoH2 now they're doing the eastern front? I place my vote on a Pacific Front mod/The Far Eastern Front.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Hopefully they'll have these badasses.

Russian-Wader.jpg

Run in terror. Er...well...maybe just jog a bit in terror.

Who currently plays CoH?