As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

19495969798100»

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    If only there was a Tron rpg

Solar would love it even though combat would have to be on a Grid

A tron RPG already exists and is called Eclipse Phase, basically

Edcrab wrote: »
    One day the simulationists and the narrativists will wage war

The simulationists will wound many with their realistic weapons but then the narrativists will declare that they have won, and that will be that

No see if the simulationists can roll well enough, they will be able to persuade the narrativists that it makes for a better story if the simulationists win

QED

Seriously though I personally prefer a good mix of the two. I don't like games where everything is based around your narrative role, not what you can actually do (in some games your ability to do things depends on how emotionally connected you are to the aim, not how skilled you are. I think that sucks).

At the same time, though, I like a degree of abstraction because realism is often pretty shitty and games are there for us to have a good time.

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    So, I've finally decided. I'm going to do an off-shoot of All Flesh Must Be Eaten for some of my friends that have never played a pen and paper, tabletop RPG before. I am excited.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Yeah, pretty much.

To a certain extent the narrativist approach is simply "whatever works best for the story", and if that extends to making the story as enjoyable to partake in as possible (and it should unless you're a lousy GM) then it also ends up encompassing the interpretation of mechanics

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Are there any tips for a first time GM? Like things not to do ever?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Eclipse Phase sucks and isn't anything like Tron so no

And you ignored my pun and I hope you die

Well in the new Marvel RPG

they have this system where your power depends on whether you are working by yourself, as part of a team-up or as part of a full

Thor, for example, is most powerful when alone.

Cap is more powerful when leading a team, and so on.

Now, this seems fair enough from a narrative standpoint (Thor does generally tend to show more power in his solo appearances). But to me, it makes no sense. Why can't Thor punch someone while part of a team as hard as he can punch someone when working alone? It's a narrative conceit that says "this is what it is like in the comics," to which my response is "yeah but if I had my way, it wouldn't, and their power levels would be more regular."

So for me, I much prefer M&M, because even if it doesn't represent the difference between power levels alone and powers levels in a team or whatever so much, it does actually say "Thor is this strong, all the time," and that's what I like. I like things to be nicely defined by the way the world works, not by some kind of fuzzy narrative goals. As a player, I don't want to be the writer or the director or whatever. I want to play my character, and have them immersed into a fantasy world. And changing around what they can do based on narrative just reminds me that I am in a narrative, thus breaking immersion.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Eclipse Phase sucks and isn't anything like Tron so no

And you ignored my pun and I hope you die

I haven't played Eclipse Phase, so I don't know if it sucks or not.

I have read the source book, though; and yeah, it's not like Tron at all.

IKknkhU.gif
    Im not even talkin bout the game in action

I'm talkin bout the background

If I was going to run a Tron game, I'd use that system, and just sleeve all the players in infomorphs who are dropped into a simulation.

Then hackers can actually attempt to hack the simulation in order to bring about changes in the environment, just like Tron

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Yeah it's nothing like tron, are you high solar?

not in terms of the setting

but in terms of the system, it's exactly what I would use

Which is the only criterea for any game which I am going to use to run Tron

since I am only going to use the system and throw the background away

because I am running Tron and therefore the background doesn't matter!

:-/

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    are we shitting on eclipse phase in here??

0BnD8l3.gif
    If I was going to run a Tron game, I'd use that system, and just sleeve all the players in infomorphs who are dropped into a simulation.

Then hackers can actually attempt to hack the simulation in order to bring about changes in the environment, just like Tron

Ugh

Why would you restrict a system that severely just to try and adapt it to a completely different kind of narrative?

I mean, my idea would include the PCs all being Users, but they'd be able to specialize in different kinds of Grid manipulation.

Like, one of them is a natural at imagining and creating different weaponry. Or another one is adept at modifying the landscape.

Not sure if an existing system could be jury-rigged to enable that or if I'd have to homebrew most of it from scratch.

IKknkhU.gif
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    oh, we're just talking about tron

I'll show myself out

0BnD8l3.gif
    Why would I want to use a free-form game where you can make any character you like including rules for running full VR simulations, modification of artificial intelligences and changing of physical attributes to fit your mental aims for a Tron game?

because it fits pretty much fine?

What if like, real life is tron, and we don't know it man?

Not enough light piping on clothes

Well in the new Marvel RPG

they have this system where your power depends on whether you are working by yourself, as part of a team-up or as part of a full

Thor, for example, is most powerful when alone.

Cap is more powerful when leading a team, and so on.

Now, this seems fair enough from a narrative standpoint (Thor does generally tend to show more power in his solo appearances). But to me, it makes no sense. Why can't Thor punch someone while part of a team as hard as he can punch someone when working alone? It's a narrative conceit that says "this is what it is like in the comics," to which my response is "yeah but if I had my way, it wouldn't, and their power levels would be more regular."

So for me, I much prefer M&M, because even if it doesn't represent the difference between power levels alone and powers levels in a team or whatever so much, it does actually say "Thor is this strong, all the time," and that's what I like. I like things to be nicely defined by the way the world works, not by some kind of fuzzy narrative goals. As a player, I don't want to be the writer or the director or whatever. I want to play my character, and have them immersed into a fantasy world. And changing around what they can do based on narrative just reminds me that I am in a narrative, thus breaking immersion.

Flavour should be just that, flavour, not getting in the way of a player/PC's function and role in combat or skill challenges

But as odd as that is I'm not sure how it really varies from, say, systems with abstracted melee/ranged combat, or whether combat is in a confined space or open area, except here the arbitrary limitation is whether they're working alone or together

I can see it being implemented poorly but at face value that wouldn't immediately set off my "stupid mechanics" alarm

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Oh hey, Ed. I had a dumb idea last night looking at stuff, that i will try to remember in better detail and probably post in the next DnD thread

Melding wrote: »
    Oh hey, Ed. I had a dumb idea last night looking at stuff, that i will try to remember in better detail and probably post in the next DnD thread

Well hey, I look forward to seeing it then!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »

lots of rust monsters

PiptheFair wrote: »

lots of rust monsters

I have no idea what that means.

lots of rust monsters

Rust monsters eat weaponry.

Like, they can pretty much destroy your characters' best stuff in two or three turns.

They're not particularly fun.

IKknkhU.gif

lots of rust monsters

Well find out, because players fucking love rust monsters.

Make sure they're all using metal equipment!

Rust monsters are one of those elements of D&D that are clearly made so the GM can have fun being a sadist.

I don't see how anyone could think players would enjoy fighting them.

IKknkhU.gif
    My god, that sounds terrible.

I'm playing with a couple of first timers, so I plan on making this a lot of fun.

It's basically going to be like Smash TV, but with tons of zombies, traps, and audience participation.

One of my DMs changed rust monsters so their touch chemically reacted with metal and created a thick flaky crust of oxidization

It limited player movement if it affected armour, and on weapons it reduced damage by dulling edges and making clubs unwieldy

They were annoying and horrible but temporary and we were grateful

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Oh, so if I want to make enemy characters in a game, like characters that are like them and may have to face, do I just build them like a normal character? Or do I gimp/superpower them to make them more difficult/easy? Like, they get a pool of 20 extra points or something.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Advice to new DMs:

Consider playing through a (short, 2-3 session) premade campaign first. This gives you an insight into many of the 'standard' elements of whatever game you are playing, after which both you and your players can talk about what they did and did not like, and segue into the main campaign.

Listen to what your players want out of the game.

Fudge rules if you don't understand them, write it down and look it up later if you can't immediately find it. Sometimes rules can work out complex and annoying, and having to spend 15 minutes turning pages for exact definitions called up in say grappling rules can really suck the pace and immersion out of a fight. Make a firm temporary ruling instead.

Unique NPCs are fun but don't let them take over the campaign. For instance, try to avoid situations where your level 2 party is travelling with a 16th level wizard who disintegrates everything that can possibly come along.

Unique PCs are fun but don't let a single one dominate your campaign, at least at first. Ask your players to not start out as the superthief who spends half of each session robbing random houses while the rest of the party sleeps.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    New DMs:

Never make a character of your own and put them in the party.

Never split the party.

If the party splits itself, spend more time with the larger group, even if they're doing 'less interesting' things.

Look to what your players want out of the game and try to suit it to that.

Be prepared to improvise.

Fudge rules when they prevent cool things from happening.
    Oh, so if I want to make enemy characters in a game, like characters that are like them and may have to face, do I just build them like a normal character? Or do I gimp/superpower them to make them more difficult/easy? Like, they get a pool of 20 extra points or something.

I've never played All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but the answer generally varies from system to system. If the enemies the party will be facing are of equal level and the party has lost hit points or expended powers beforehand, then the enemies will feel more difficult than their stats may make them seem.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    One of my DMs changed rust monsters so their touch chemically reacted with metal and created a thick flaky crust of oxidization

It limited player movement if it affected armour, and on weapons it reduced damage by dulling edges and making clubs unwieldy

They were annoying and horrible but temporary and we were grateful

Yeah, permanent stuff can be real crappy.

note to new players:

Always split the party. It's awesome.

Make sure to put the wizard and the rogue together. It'll be great, trust me.

This discussion has been closed.